Start by marking “Éire's Captive Moon (Éire's Viking, #1)” as Want to Read:
Éire's Captive Moon (Éire's Viking, #1)

Éire's Captive Moon (Éire's Viking #1)

4.43 of 5 stars 4.43  ·  rating details  ·  54 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Éire’s Captive Moon, the first book of Sandi Layne’s Éire’s Viking Trilogy, brings you to the unsettled era of the early Viking raids along the coast of Éire – today’s Ireland.

A wounded refugee from the violent Viking raids on Éire’s coast is healed so well by Charis of Ragor that Agnarr captures the moon-pale woman for his own and takes her home to Nordweg to be his slave
Kindle Edition
Published January 10th 2013 by The Writer's Coffee Shop (first published November 19th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Éire's Captive Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Éire's Captive Moon

Sarah Aisling

With Éire’s Captive Moon, Sandi Layne has created an unforgettable tale of love, loss, intrigue, bravery, and suspense. From the first pages, you’ll be held captive by Ms. Layne’s incredible storytelling and her ability to paint a picture with words that pulls you so deeply into her world you forget your surroundings.

Charis is snatched away from her home and everything she ever knew or loved. She’s been captured to be the medicine woman, slave, and bed partner to the viking, Agnarr, who was so i
Warren Bennett
First, a confession

It isn’t a big shock to anyone that knows me when I say I’m not fond of the genre known as‘Romance.’ A book can be deftly written and have a great story, but it would still be hard for me to sit down and read one. Sandi Layne, a friend of mine that I’ve known more than a few years now, is primarily known as a writer of Romantic fiction. Since her books rarely have occasion to blow things up or have massive battles, I’ve been a little hesitant to read one of her tomes. Even wit
Lissa Bryan
I was pleased to get an ARC for this novel because I enjoy a well-written piece of historical fiction.

I admit, I'm rather hard to please when it comes to this genre. Far too many novels in this genre treat the historical setting like an afterthought, with little effort at authenticity. There have been many I've abandoned when they surpassed my admittedly-low tolerance for historical errors.

Eire's Captive Moon was not that kind of novel. The historical detail and setting are intricately woven int
Kathie (katmom)
I was pulled deeply into the past from the first page of this story set in Old Ireland and north into Nordweg. This is a historical, not a romance, although there is love and devotion. I loved feeling like I was in Eire and then right there in the Norse village. There was enough detail, but not so much that it pulled me from the characters. A truly wonderful balancing act by Ms. Layne.

Ms. Layne's characters are charismatic and powerful. I felt their pain, their fear and their joy...and their nee
Jennifer Garcia
I should have waited to read this. ;) Honestly, because it's part of a trilogy and I want the next book already. Not sure I can wait however long it's going to take for it to come out. That's how good this was.

I must say I love historical fiction and this one was quite amazing. I loved being transported to another place and another time. She did it so well and the words, descriptions, and the scenery were perfect.

The characters–all of them– were so well worked that I fell in love with some I p
Brandee Price
Wow! There is so much to say about this book, I don't know where to begin. First, I think I'd like to thank Ms. Layne for not leaving me with a cliffhanger - at least not in the true sense of a cliffhanger. I know Charis' story isn't over, but I wasn't left hanging on the edge and I'm grateful for that. Also, I love Norse mythology (and Celtic mythology for that matter), so I was so pleased to have that woven into this story.

This story is richly told, the prose very affecting. I was transported
Sandra
Jan 13, 2013 Sandra rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Historical romance lovers
This book is a re-edit of the previously published novel Captive Irish Moon. When the new novel was offered as an ARC, I jumped at the chance.

Eire's Captive Moon tells the story of Charis, a healer, and her struggles after being captured by marauding Vikings and taken by Agnarr as his leman/slave.

The book starts out with Charis' father running from someone and having to abandon her near an Irish village for her safety. Charis grows up and learns the healing craft, though this part is skipped ove
Andrea (mrsaubergine)
Not my usual choice of reading matter, but I really enjoyed this. I appreciated the research that must have gone into the setting, and the tone was very reflective of the period. Maybe it was wrong of me, but I really grew quite fond of Agnarr, even though he was a raping, pillaging Viking who took Irish healer Charis as his sex slave. I know I was meant to like Cowan, the Irish prince, but a small part of me wanted Charis to live happily ever after with both men. References to Thor and Loki mad ...more
Raina {The LUV'NV}
Captivating.

From the very first page, Éire's Captive Moon transports the reader to the shores of Éire (Ireland) during the early Viking raids in late Antiquity. I was immediately drawn in to the time and setting with the beautiful starting prose on nature and the land, on the Irish people, culture, and mythology; it lends a mystical air that almost feels more fantastical than historical, for the story seems otherworldly as Achan, a male healer, traverses through the forest and is drawn to a cave
Rel8tivity
Lots of Shoes!!

Eire's Captive Moon exudes dramatic tension from the moment you pick it up. The very title implies somebody or something is going to be placed in jeopardy, and after the rather idyllic opening, you know the other shoe is going to drop.

And drop it does for Charis, the healer in a 9th century Irish village. These are rough times, with Vikings raiding up and down the Irish coast for treasure and slaves. Agnarr Halvardson, one of the Viking raiders, brings a new reality to Charis' wor
Melissa Fox
What an intriguing story. Full of action, adventure, history, detail, information, conflict, emotion, all the good stuff, and Sandi Layne handled it all with appreciated skill so as not to overwhelm or bombard. It's a fabulous look into a time period and relationships that you don't see or read about all that often--at least I don't :) -- and I truly enjoyed the realistic portrayal of the setting and characters. I not only enjoyed the journey of the characters but all the historic information wo ...more
Jess Molly Brown
Wow, what a page-turner! I heartily recommend this book, and I can't wait for the next one in the series.

Ms. Layne incorporates authentic patois in a way that immerses the reader convincingly in the world of the Vikings and the ancient people who will become the denizens of Ireland. The flow of dialogue is natural and lovely to read.

The characters are complex, their natures conflicted and they're easy people to latch onto. So much so, that I was supposed to be in bed about an hour and a half ago
Elle
Original review can be found here: http://www.yourentertainmentcorner.co....

I was initially interested in reading Eire’s Captive Moon because it’s supposed to be a tale that delves into the Viking way of life and how it affects those they encounter (at least that’s my take). But that sentiment wore off quickly. The story follows an Irish healer Charis and Prince Cowan as they are captured and made slaves by Viking raiders. Their plight awarded me some suspense, but I became bored after a while.
Beyond the Squee

Red-striped sails make their first appearance on the shores near the village of Ragor and the peaceful life of the villagers is obliterated in one deadly raid. Agnarr Halvardson and his overlord, Tuirgeis, have come to Éire for treasure, honor, and slaves.

After slaying her husbands, Agnarr claims Charis, the healer of the
Kathie (katmom)
I've read this THREE times. It's really THAT good!

I was pulled deeply into the past from the first page of this story set in Old Ireland.

Charis, as she fought through her sadness and fears to find a good life, was a woman to admire. She made hard decisions and carried them through to their end.

Cowan was powerful as he depended upon his faith in God to get him through his days of slavery.

This isn'
Andrea (mrsaubergine)
Brian
I really never got into romance or novels of "passion". That being said, Eire's Captive Moon is a historical fiction with romance, but it is so much more than that. I was kept bound to the page with every word and change of scene. I was left breathless at both the grand vistas described within and the awesome battle scenes depicted. I learned to despise the bad guys and yet to come to know and love them. It was a great read and I will be looking for the sequels when they arrive!
Carrie Slager
[Full disclosure: I received a free ebook copy through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.]

When I requested this book I was sure it was going to be a captive-captor love story. Books like this usually are, after all. And that was fine for me; I need some guilty pleasure. However, I was pleasantly surprised to find that Sandi Layne put some excellent twists into what I thought was a dead horse trope.

Charis is a great character and even though I liked Cowan as well, she of course stole eve
Pam
Chagris was found, well she was found inside her mother. A local medicine man found her mother about to give birth in a cave and he helped her. Chagris’s mother passed away right after, and the medicine man helped raise Chagris and taught her his ways. Fast forward to Chagris’s adulthood. She is married to not one, but two men; twins. Her town is ransacked, her husbands slaughtered, and she is taken captive by a man named Agnarr. She not only becomes his slave in the proverbial sense, but also h ...more
Rhea
Kat
Why did I just buy one book in this series? It works as a stand alone, don't get me wrong, but buy everything that's out and just keep reading.

This was a quick read, but a good one.
Madi Merek
So good! Loved the history. Onto the second book!
Angela
3.5-4 mainly because the prologue almost made me stop reading; it was so abstract and distant that it felt unemotional. Otherwise, a very clean, well-edited story, with a strong female lead. I loved the descriptions of the settings, and the living conditions for the time period.
Virginia
Loved it! Full review to come.
Elizabeth Schubert
Elizabeth Schubert marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Liz Meldon
Liz Meldon marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
Windsonne
Windsonne marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Mountain Charm (Appalachian Heart Collection, #2)
  • Ghostwriter
  • Over the Edge
  • Darcy's Decision (Given Good Principles)
  • Lightning Rider
  • Shackled
  • Plus One
  • An Army of Angels: A Novel of Joan of Arc
  • A Very Important Guest
  • The Six (The Gateway Chronicles #1)
  • Wellesley Wives
  • A Bed of Spices
  • Winter's Dream (Hemlock Bay, #2)
  • The Good Knight (Gareth & Gwen Medieval Mysteries, #1)
Award winning author of short Celtic fiction, Sandi Layne is the creator of the Éire's Viking Trilogy, as well as works of contemporary Christian romance.

She began by self-publishing her novels in 2000, garnering a loyal group of readers whom she continues to appreciate to this day.

Married for more than twenty years to a very tolerant (and brilliant!) man, she has two sons, no pets,
and a plethora
More about Sandi Layne...
An Unexpected Woman Éire's Viking (Éire's Viking, #2) Summer's Music Silent Music Making a Diamond

“Cowan son of Branieucc, you're the only one of my people that I know for sure still lives.” 4 likes
“Go back to bed, Cowan. I want no promises from you.” 1 likes