Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 12: Hard Lessons

Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 12: Hard Lessons (Ultimate X-Men trade paperbacks #12)

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  613 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Ultimate Wolverine makes his explosive return Storm travels to the Great White North to find her missing friend, but there's no time for celebration for the impetuous and troubled duo They're about to take on an all-new threat to the Ultimate Universe... Lady Deathstrike Plus: When a dangerous young mutant immune to psychic control takes Charles Xavier and the rest of a Ma...more
Published February 7th 2007 by Marvel (first published November 1st 2005)

Charles
Trent
Overall, I will say this book was only decent. If at all.
X-men issue number 58 I could have done without.
Number 59 was what I'd considered decent.
Number 60 basically made me want to

(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ ┻━┻

I know I have given good reviews in the past for the Ultimate X-Men series, even though I've seen quite a few people bash Vaughan's writing, but this one definitely did a number on what has been a good series thus far.

I have no problem with Vaughan, none at all. As far as writing is concerned, I go wit...more
Eric England
Ultimate X-Men Volume 12: Hard Lessons continues important story arcs from previous volumes in Brian K. Vaughan's Ultimate X-Men run. However, this volume is not at the same level as the previous ones. One of the strengths of Vaughan's Ultimate X-Men run is the fact that he does a great job with the character interactions between all the members of the team. This volume primarily consists of standalone stories featuring one or two members of the team. This means that the strengths of the previou...more
Andrew
This is the 4th volume of Brian K. Vaughan's run on the title and he keeps the quality top-notch. I can't believe how much I've enjoyed his stories so far. He's definitely streamlined the series and shown plenty of skill in writing these stories. This volume collects one stand-alone issue, a 2-part story arc, and Ultimate X-Men Annual 1. The stand-alone story is a Professor X story and is probably the best issue in the series. The art is handled by Steve Dillon and is fantastic as always. Then w...more
Talyseon Talyseon
Internal Tensions are threatening to do what the entire world could not, Destroy the X-Men. Check out my full review: Ultimate X-Men: Hard Lessons
Chris
Three random unconnected stories, none of them are bad but it doesn't amount to as good of a whole as any of the other volumes with a single story line.
Josephine (aurora lector)
Okay, the opening one shot was a big ol' cheeseball. Helped build slight character for Charlie, but otherwise... I'm lacking hope for the rest of the issue.

Shock and Awe redeem the story. Although Kurt is still apologetically creepy.

And then Ultimate Sacrifice seems only alright until the last few pages.

Good volume, not much in the department of kick-ass and heart-wrench though.
Michael
One of the better Ultimate X-Men volumes. Brian K. Vaughan writes a great Prof. X narrative and a great Storm/Wolverine/Deathstrike narrative. Again, it's his pacing that keeps me interested. Also, I think Stuart Immonen is the perfect artist for the Ultimate X-Men. This art is fun and vibrant, and matches well with Vaughan's writing.
Zach Danielson
A little uneven artistically, but still very enjoyable.
mike thiem
mike thiem marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
  • Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 14: Phoenix?
  • Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 8: New Mutants
  • Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 4: Hellfire and Brimstone
  • Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 19: Absolute Power
Born in Cleveland in 1976, Brian K. Vaughan is the Eisner, Harvey, and Shuster Award-winning writer and co-creator of the critically acclaimed comics series Y: The Last Man, Runaways, and Ex Machina (picked as one of the ten best works of fiction of 2005 by Entertainment Weekly).

Recently named "Writer of the Year" by Wizard Magazine, and one of the “top ten comic writers of all time” by Comic Boo...more
More about Brian K. Vaughan...
Y: The Last Man, Vol. 1: Unmanned (Y: The Last Man, #1) Saga, Volume 1 Y: The Last Man, Vol. 2: Cycles (Y: The Last Man, #2) Y: The Last Man, Vol. 5: Ring of Truth (Y: The Last Man, #5) Y: The Last Man, Vol. 8: Kimono Dragons (Y: The Last Man, #8)