Start by marking “Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 2 (Ultimate X-Men hardcovers, #2)” as Want to Read:
Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 2 (Ultimate X-Men hardcovers, #2)

Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 2 (Ultimate X-Men hardcovers #2)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  713 ratings  ·  16 reviews
- Featuring a major confrontation between two incredibly popular battle teams: the Ultimates and the Ultimate X-Men.
Published March 24th 2003 by Marvel Comics Group

To ask other readers questions about Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 2

Ronyell
Brief History:

I have just finished reading the first collection of the classic “Ultimate X-Men” series written by Mark Millar and I really enjoyed it! Now I have finally read the second volume of this fantastic series and while I enjoyed it, the second story felt a little slow, but more about that later.

What is the story?

This collection of stories from Mark Millar’s run on “Ultimate X-Men,” which basically started the series, collects both volumes three and four from the “Ultimate X-Men” s
Holden Attradies
Krystl Louwagie
This collection brought my interest back into this line-I was slightly amazed at the cruelty of Magneto (maybe I'm too used to the cartoon version where he can't be *too* bad). He's killing people right and left, in mass quantities. However, he still had very endearing human moments, like saving his favorite paintings and movie reels before he destroyed the earth! Now I want to see the movie he referenced. Also, surprised at the level Wolverine is taken to as well-I know he's supposed to be the ...more
Josephine Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious
Decent continuation, although, a somewhat solidified action repertoire means more character development! So, characters got together and split up, people cross the floor, secrets are aired. Cool! Also, more mutants.

Gambit's one-shot was very pretty. His accent is... very difficult to imagine. Maybe I'm inexperienced with Louisiana is all. But I'd love to see him join the Brotherhood splinter groups, or, more-likely, come around the X-Men. He's cool, and dynamic, with a heart! Story is bitterswee
Jeff
This volume was basically a large snooze-fest. While still rewriting the history of the X-Men for the Ultimate Marvel Universe, this volume (collecting issues 13 through 25) left much to be desired. The story arc with Proteus was drawn out way too long, while the Hellfire Club was so brief that it was essentially a waste of time. I hope that a decent version of the Ultimate Dark Phoenix Saga is in the future, because it would be a shame if that was it. The two issue Gambit feature was fun, but n ...more
Andrew
Overall this was an entertaining read. This is only my second X-Men graphic novel so I can't compare it to the rest of the continuity.

The good - the storyline involving Charles Xavier's son David. I found that more interesting than the default mutants-versus-humans struggle seen elsewhere.

The decent - Gambit's story. His accent is over-the-top, and those issues didn't tie into anything else.

The lame - art in issues 23 & 24. It totally didn't fit with the rest of the issues and gave me the f
I was unfamiliar with the Proteus story arc from the main continuity so this was brand new to me. Nice to see the Ultimate Betsy Braddock. I find it really interesting that the Ultimate Universe people seem to be comfortable with killing characters off right and left; it makes me feel like they will either regret wasting the character later or they'll resort to the whole back from the dead game pretty quickly. Still - enjoyable and I'll be continuing with the series.
Ronald
Aparently the plot for this comic book series was replaced by a gimiky page layout - what plot there was appeared to be lifted from some other really bad comic book. At one point the comic got a new artist and the art became even more horrible than your typical comic book. The art looked like something you would find on an Egyptian Tomb wall. ew ew ew makes my head hurt. I might not even read the next book I have hear from the library.
Myles
Ultimate X-Men in leaps and bounds covers decades of plotting and character introduction and I am completely fine with that.

The story is still riveting and the subtle changes, as important as the major ones, make this as good a read for a veteran fan as well as a newbie.

My only complaint is that the collected issues here had many changes in artists which was at first interesting but, with number 24 in particular, often irritating.
Nailmouth
It's been a long time since I've read any 'superhero' comic-books, and I was surprised how much I enjoyed reading this and subsequent volumes.

With interesting writing and good artwork, the 2001 reboot does an adequate job of providing an artful retelling of the X-Men origin saga, without tarnishing the memory of the original.

Recommended for old fans or newcomers to the story, definitely a fun read.
Brian
Since I've mostly read later volumes, it was nice to see the X-Men out helping regular people in regular situations. Though that soon went to hell over the course of the World Tour arc, it was still a nice change of pace. Then the Hellfire Club arc begins which is the first real taste of the Phoenix Force. Also Kitty is introduced in this volume, always a treat. Pretty good stuff.
Lots of character work and fewer explosions allow issues #13-26 to really dive into the X-men as people and set the stage. I'm rereading this entire series and these issues still remain my favorite.
Allen
Good continuation althought the conclusion of the Phoenix saga felt a little 'thrown away'. Good character development, mixed bag on the art front but, overall, builds on volume 1!
Morbus Iff
Hated Gambit issue, but I love when the Professor gets all mental-ly. His son was "meh" too though.
Matt
Fresh new takes on the X-Men and filled with foibles.
Drakonflight
The Gambit stuff was awesome. Absolutely loved it.
Benjamin Thornton
Benjamin Thornton marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2015
  • Ultimate X-Men: Ultimate Vol. 4
  • Ultimate X-Men: Ultimate Vol. 5
  • Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 16: Cable
  • Uncanny X-Men: Divided We Stand
  • X-Men: First Class, Volume 1: Tomorrow's Brightest
  • Ultimate Fantastic Four, Vol. 2: Doom
  • Marvel Masterworks: The Uncanny X-Men, Vol. 1
Mark Millar is an award-winning Scottish comic book writer born in Coatbridge. Now a resident of Glasgow, Millar has been the highest selling British comic-book writer working in America this decade. His best known works include: The Authority, Ultimates 1 and 2, adaptations of Jack Kirby's and Stan Lee's Avengers, Wanted, Marvel Knights Spider-Man, Ultimate Fantastic Four, and Civil War. In Augus ...more
More about Mark Millar...

Ultimate X-Men hardcovers (9 books)
  • Ultimate X-Men: Ultimate Collection, Book 1