Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read.
Start by marking “Manuscript Found in Accra” as Want to Read:
Manuscript Found in Accra
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating
Open Preview

Manuscript Found in Accra

by
3.81  ·  Rating Details ·  17,360 Ratings  ·  2,002 Reviews
The latest novel from the #1 internationally best-selling author of The Alchemist.

There is nothing wrong with anxiety.
Although we cannot control God's time, it is part of the human condition to want to receive the thing we are waiting for as quickly as possible.
Or to drive away whatever is causing our fear....
Anxiety was born in the very same moment as mankind. And since w
...more
Hardcover, 208 pages
Published April 2nd 2013 by Knopf (first published 2012)
More Details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.

Reader Q&A

To ask other readers questions about Manuscript Found in Accra, please sign up.

Popular Answered Questions

Akash Indeed it is! At times when you find no answer to the problems that you are facing, just run through some pages, [at least in my case] and it will…moreIndeed it is! At times when you find no answer to the problems that you are facing, just run through some pages, [at least in my case] and it will never fail you.(less)
Ysa Bulseco
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Community Reviews

(showing 1-30)
filter  |  sort: default (?)  |  Rating Details
Mar
Dec 10, 2012 Mar rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I first picked up the book, I compared it to Khalil Gibran's "The Profit". I was a bit disillusioned, and stopped reading for a bit. Having some time one day, I picked up the book again with the hope that I would finish it quickly and move on to the next read. How mistaken I was! The 3 chapters I read that day were directly addressing issues I was experiencing at the time!

This book is definitely one you want to read slowly, ponder on the messages and hopefully apply to your life. Its a book
...more
Mohammed Arabey
المـكان: ساحة أحد ميادين مدينة أورشاليم، القدس - الـزمان:يوم من ايام شهر يوليو

الـعام؟ لا يهم.. يحسبه البعض بحياة جدوده بتلك البلدة المقدسة منذ 4859 عاما منذ انزل الله بألواح التوراة علي رسوله موسي عليه السلام
وهناك من يحسبه منذ 1099 ، منذ ميلاد السيد المسيح عيسي بن مريم نبي الله رسول الله الوجيه
واخر يحسبه منذ 492 عاما قمريا منذ هاجر رسول الله محمد عليه الصلاة والسلام من مكة الي المدينة



المدينة خاوية، البيوت ساكنة، لا حركة ولا بيع في اسواق المدينة
الحملة الصليبية علي أبواب المدينة، بجيوشها ومدافعها
...more
mercysky
Jun 29, 2013 mercysky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
الشيء الذي يفتنني في القراءة لـ إنسان كـ باولو ،
أنني عند مقطوعة ما ، وأحياناً كلمتين فقط
أغلق الكتاب وأعيش لحظات تأمل خاصة.. أفكر فيها
أرى فيها كلماته تتشكل على كل الجدران والأسقف من حولي !
ثم أعاود لأكمل .

كـكاتب، أسلوبه ذو الطاقة الهائلة والسحر لايقاوم ولايُختلف عليه
ودليل ذلك قدرته على شحذ ذهن القارئ واستفزازه للتأمل.
ولذلك قيمتها بأربع نجوم مع أنني قررت فور اغلاقها أنها ثلاثة.

الرواية هذه تُختصر بسهوله في ما لايزيد عن عشر جُمل
هي بمجملها " فلسفيات " عميقة ..
عن الحياة، الحب، القوة، الصعوبات، الأهدا
...more
Sara Connor
Since I first read The Alchemist, I've always loved Paulo Coelho's books. I think this book is a MUST READ for every single soul on earth no matter which your religion or believes you've got. It contains all the wisdom that should be taught in schools, instead of losing hours with stupid subjects about religion or ethics, it contains the essence of life.

The author is humboldt enough to recognise that this is not his writing, which makes him even greater than what I thought.
It is just a transcri
...more
Kathy
Mar 12, 2013 Kathy rated it it was ok
Shelves: spirituality
This was a Goodreads First Reader Win, thanks.


I would have adored this book when I was 17 or even 20. But alas, I am much, much, much older than that now and less fond than I was then of books full of quotable Words Of Wisdom.
The premise of the book is poignant...the people are gathered before a time of great struggle and potential endings (and yeah, sure, it could well be a parable of our times, why not). They are of many faiths...Jewish, Christian, and Muslim, there in the lovely city of Jerus
...more
Owlseyes
Apr 12, 2013 Owlseyes added it
Shelves: brazilian-lit

Preamble







The Nag Hammadi manuscripts, The Dead Sea Scrolls and the Apocryphal Gospels have been for some years a source of a salutary religious and academic debate; even, from a fiction perspective, we could include Barbara Thiering thesis of a “married Jesus”, with kids…and much else….in these debates.

BUT: somehow, Coelho managed to find another manuscript: Accra’s; and this one brings nothing of salutary, in my view. It’s not a novel. Supposedly, it’s a sort of discourses of a wise man to
...more
Nancy
Mar 27, 2013 Nancy rated it really liked it
I really loved The Alchemist and Paulo Coelho shares deep wisdom within the story. This time the story is much more secondary as the different groups of people inside the walls of Jerusalem gather to hear the wisdom of a Greek man simply known as "The Copt." Tomorrow most will die so tonight they ask questions, make observations and listen to the Greek's wisdom. He speaks of love, life, death, regrets, family, friends, home, fear, faith and much, much more.

The book appeals to not only Christian,
...more
WARDA  AS' SAEEDI
رواية مليئة بالحكم، لا أدري إن كانت مخطوطة حقيقية أم هي مجرد خيالات لباولو، لا تمل القراءة و أعتقد أني سأعادود قرائتها في فترات :)
اقتباسات :
ليس العدو من يقف أمامكم و سيفه في يده، بل من يقف إلى جانبكم و خنجره خلف ظهره

عندما تغفر لمن أهانك، يشعر بوضاعة خطئه!

الكلمة هي أشد فتكا من السلاح، لأنها تستطيع التدمير دون أن تسفك و لو قطرة دم...

الغفران تساعد على الترفع عن كل الشتائم، و التي سرعان ما سيمحوها الزمان.

الذين يريدون الأفضل لنا، يريدون سعادتنا، حتى و إن عجزوا عن فهم ما نفعله، حتى و إن حاولوا فالبداي
...more
Ailene♥
Oct 31, 2013 Ailene♥ rated it it was ok
Shelves: inspiring, 2-stars
I guess I'm too old and pessimistic for this... Words of wisdom... Easier said than done...
أقمار المسيري
نبدأ في قراءه هذه الروايه للساحر باولو كويلو

بعض من المقاطع وصور منها ...

عندما تتعب أقدامنا، نستمر بفضل قلوبنا، و إن تعبت قلوبنا نستمر بفضل قوة إيماننا.
باولو كويلو . مخطوطة وجدت في عكرا


http://i.imgur.com/VUhVo9X.jpg


أويقول شاب صدته حبيبته الاولى ، إن الحب غير موجود ؟
سأجد أخرى تتفهم شعوري تفهما افضل وعندئد سأكون سعيدا لباقي ايام حياتي . باولو كويلو . رواية مخطوطة وجدت في عكرا

http://i.imgur.com/ukDePt8.jpg



بلا عزله لن يطيل الحب بقاءه الى جانبكم ، فالحب يحتاج الى الراحه ايضا ، لكي يتمكن من ان يطوف ال
...more
Arthur
Apr 19, 2013 Arthur rated it it was amazing
The setting for this latest offering by Paulo Coelho is in Jerusalem. The date is July 14, 1099. On this date, the city was held by the Fatimids. Outside the city, the Crusaders are to make their final assault and enter the city. Most of the inhabitants of the city at this time profess one of the three Abrahamic religions: Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. Knowing that the Crusaders will soon attack, the people, vexed with uncertainty, are told to gather around a wise Greek simply known as the C ...more
Paula Lopez
Mar 28, 2013 Paula Lopez rated it it was amazing
Es un libro que nos da, no uno, si no muchos mensajes directos, sin rodeos, nos enseña que todo lo que hacemos tiene algo positivo, e incluso lo que no nos atrevemos a hacer por prejuicios de terceras personas, son ataduras que no nos dejan apreciar el valor de nuestras acciones, nos enseña a enfrentar las batallas más difíciles pensando que el pasado ya fue y ya aprendimos de él o simplememte dejamos ir la enseñansa por miedo a actuar, y que el futuro aun no ha llegado pero que tenemos que cons ...more
Wahab Ahmad Khan
Jul 14, 2015 Wahab Ahmad Khan rated it it was amazing
I embarked with Paulo Coelho on this spiritual and philosophical voyage, he took me deep down into the unfathomable depth of wisdom and guided me to collect the lost pearls of human's virtue. I feel profound reverence for his philosophical insights, and the way he sees the world, the way he interprets things. This book contains twenty powerful spiritual lessons over topics like beauty, elegance, luck, loyalty, enemies, defeat, forgiveness, anxiety etc. These topics having the intellectual vision ...more
Joan
Mar 02, 2013 Joan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed Manuscript Found in Accra. This is a book that is full of uplifting, timeless wisdom. It is the type of book that can be read quickly, but it is really best read and processed slowly and revisited from time to time. I am sure that I will re-read it again in the future, so it is a welcome addition to my library.

I received a free copy of this book through the Goodreads First Reads program.
Mellony
Apr 10, 2013 Mellony rated it it was amazing
Inspiring!
Rana
Mar 09, 2013 Rana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
باولو كويلو كعادته يدهشني في كل كتاب اقراه له .. هذا الكتاب كنصائح وكلمات في الحياة ، الهزيمة، الحب ، الوحدة، القوة ، النصر وكل كلمة ماذا تعني من منظوره ومنظور من معه في هذه الرواية ..
Sara Habein
Mar 24, 2013 Sara Habein rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
Judging by the quotes I've seen from some of Coelho's other work, philosophical and mindful ways of living are his wheelhouse, and perhaps Manuscript in Accra is a condensed, more direct version of those ideas. I would have to read his other books to say so with any certainty. Maybe this book isn't for everyone, but I liked it well enough to want to properly devour a full-on Coelho novel in the near future.

(My full review appears on Glorified Love Letters.)
Tia Bach
Mar 26, 2013 Tia Bach rated it it was amazing
It's amazing to think how many manuscripts such as these were lost to us generations ago--that many scholars' thoughts and advice are lost to the ravages of time.

In 1099, the mysterious Copt is speaking to a crowd awaiting attack. In the face of death, the Copt shares his views on life. Some ask if they shouldn't instead be focused on preparing for battle, to which Copt replies, "Our task is not to leave a record of what happened on this date... history will take care of that. Therefore, we wil
...more
Suzie
Apr 04, 2013 Suzie rated it it was amazing
As with all Paulo Coelho's writings, I just loved the knowledge and wisdom imparted in this book. In the style of Gibran's "The Prophet" it gives a teacher/student feel to it. Lots of food for thought and depth. Another winner! I thoroughly enjoyed reading it and look forward to reading it again.
shereads
Mar 08, 2013 shereads rated it it was ok
I felt like book was trying to be too much at once and as a result, it was not as successful as it could have been as a fictional STORY or a well-being/self-help book.

I began with the impression that this would be some historical fiction/history re-write and in some ways it is. I particularly enjoy how each chapter is an answer to a question - very parable-like, and it takes a narrative tone that the Bible has in many instances. However, there are no real characters that carry over chapter to c
...more
Kyrie
Apr 29, 2013 Kyrie rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion
It's the first Coelho book I've read that might equal "The Alchemist" for message and enjoyment.

Honestly, though, it's like a modern language version of Gibran's "The Prophet". It's just got people on the eve of an assault asking questions of a religious man, instead of people asking a religious man questions on the eve of his departure to another land.

I want to own this book, read it slowly and write in the margins.

Do I think it's brilliant and amazing? No, because it's too much like "The Prop
...more
Tonkica
Oct 06, 2016 Tonkica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Od uvijek su ljudske vrijednosti, nadanja i strahovi isti.. Nije na odmet podsjetiti ih se i zamisliti nad svojim zeljama.
Julie
May 03, 2013 Julie rated it it was amazing
Adolescente, je me souviens avoir tenté de lire "Veronika décide de mourir" auquel je n'avais pas accroché et que j'avais fini par abandonner... sans plus jamais ouvrir un seul livre de Paulo Coelho. Lorsque j'ai vu ce nouveau "roman", j'ai hésité longuement... Finalement, j'ai sauté le pas car le thème m'interpelait vraiment.

Aussitôt reçu, aussitôt lu... Je n'ai pas pu m'empêcher de me plonger dans ce bouquin dès que j'ai pu le faire. Je l'ai lu d'une traite. Et j'ai beaucoup aimé. Beaucoup bea
...more
Sally Walker
Apr 04, 2013 Sally Walker rated it it was amazing
Pure wisdom

I have always loved Paulo Coelho’s books; they are so concise in a great way, so beautiful but challenging. He is simple but profound and his histories will make you rethink your whole world. Because all of that, I expected “Manuscript found in Accra” to be great. And it just… is. As other Coelho’s books, it takes you to another world and the story surrounds you in a beautiful way. You can’t stop reading and you see yourself immersed in a charming but deep history.

We live in a very ch
...more
Sadaf bgl
نوشته های کوئیلو کلا بدون ترجمه ی آرش حجازی واسم غیر قابل تصوره. و خیلی عجولانه موقعی که یه بغل کتاب دستم بود که هر لحظه ممکن بود پخش شن رو زمین :)) و یاسی از اونور هوار هوار می کرد دیرمون شد، چشمم بهش خورد و نتونستم ازش بگذرم. و امان از کنکور که نمیذاره به زندگی مون برسیم. :-<

کلا کوئیلو باز اون حالت پیامبرانه طوری رو داره تو این کتاب و خصوصا خیلی من رو یاد پیامبر جبران انداخت.

از متن کتاب:
من به اینجا آمده ام تا به شما بگوییم که کسانی هستند که هرگز در زندگی شکست نخورده اند. آنان کسانی هستند
...more
Leanne
Apr 14, 2013 Leanne rated it really liked it
When I first found out about the book from my friend, when she posted a quotation from the book, i really got interested in reading it. The words was full of wisdom, that's why i was really attracted into it. I got a copy of the book last two days ago. And to my amazement, i only read it for just almost two hours!
This one is really a page turner. Every word and every detail brought so much knowledge and realizations over me. The main character which is the-so-called "Copt" serves as the source
...more
Agnese

Blah blah blah...
Coelho is babbling and moralizing and what not. Just like a new literary Osho with his religious-philosophical sh*t. Not for my criminal mind.
I liked some of his previous books, and there are some I didn't enjoy. Whether this is worst of his books I can not say, but it is worst I've read.
But those who consider Coelho some kind of religious leader or messiah and admire and believe in everything he says will certainly love it.
Ilse
Mar 04, 2013 Ilse rated it it was amazing
Those who are familiar with Coelho's work know that we must read between the lines to get the message. This book, however, answers the questions that we all make to ourselves at least once in our lives. I can guarantee that no matter how many times you read it, you will always get a different meaning from his answers.
Salymar
Jul 08, 2013 Salymar rated it it was amazing
“Anxiety was born in the very same moment as mankind. And since we will never be able to master it, we will have to learn to live with it—just as we have learned to live with storms.”
― Paulo Coelho
Pamela
Dec 14, 2012 Pamela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
El Manuscrito encontrado en Accra, es un deleite espiritual para estos tiempos que están llenos de crisis y estrés, leerlo te da livianés en el alma y te da además buenos tópicos para conversar con los amigos y pareja.

La soledad no es la ausencia del amor sino su complemento.

Benditos aquellos que no temen la soledad. Que no se asustan con la propia compañía.

En la soledad sabrán decidir si vale la pena pedirle que regrese, o si debe permitir que ambos sigan un nuevo camino.

Algunas personas dicen:
...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 next »
topics  posts  views  last activity   
Who had actually written the manuscript? 1 6 Nov 05, 2016 11:53AM  
تحت سقف التوقعات 2 55 Feb 28, 2014 03:55AM  
Madison Mega-Mara...: Manuscript Found in Accra 1 4 Apr 08, 2013 08:26PM  
Goodreads Librari...: This could be a double entry 3 40 Apr 01, 2013 07:13AM  
  • Paulo Coelho: Confessions of a Pilgrim
  • Paulo Coelho: A Warrior's Life - The Authorized Biography
  • Ars Magica
  • Buku Pengetahuan Paling Jorok Sedunia
  • Cerita Cinta Enrico
  • A Room of One's Own & The Voyage Out
  • Debaixo de Algum Céu
  • L'âme du monde
  • Crystal Grids: How and Why They Work: A Science-Based, Yet Practical Guide
  • The Thief of Baghdad - Cinta Sejati Sang Pangeran Pencuri
  • The Truth
  • Tobias e o Anjo
  • As rosas de Atacama
  • Partitions
  • O Mundo Em Que Vivi
  • Les Quatre vies du saule
  • Forgiving the Angel: Four Stories for Franz Kafka
  • Beyond Snapshots: How to Take That Fancy DSLR Camera Off "Auto" and Photograph Your Life like a Pro
566
The Brazilian author PAULO COELHO was born in 1947 in the city of Rio de Janeiro. Before dedicating his life completely to literature, he worked as theatre director and actor, lyricist and journalist. In 1986, PAULO COELHO did the pilgrimage to Saint James of Compostella, an experience later to be documented in his book The Pilgrimage. In the following year, COELHO published The Alchemist. Slow in ...more
More about Paulo Coelho...

Share This Book



“Anxiety was born in the very same moment as mankind. And since we will never be able to master it, we will have to learn to live with it—just as we have learned to live with storms.” 240 likes
“For those who are not frightened by the solitude, everything will have a different taste.

In solitude, they will discover the love that might otherwise arrive unnoticed.

In solitude, they will understand and respect the love that left them.

In solitude, they will be able to decide whether it is worth asking that lost love to come back or if they should simply let it go and set off along a new path.

In solitude, they will learn that saying ‘No’ does not always show a lack of generosity and that saying ‘Yes’ is not always a virtue.

And those who are alone at this moment, need never be frightened by the words of the devil: ‘You’re wasting your time.’

Or by the chief demon’s even more potent words: ‘No one cares about you.’

The Divine Energy is listening to us when we speak to other people, but also when we are still and silent and able to accept solitude as a blessing.

And when we achieve that harmony, we receive more than we asked for.”
218 likes
More quotes…