Golden Girl (The American Fairy, #2)

Golden Girl (The American Fairy #2)

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  153 ratings  ·  42 reviews
Callie LeRoux has put her grimy, harrowing trip from the depths of the Dust Bowl behind her. Her life is a different kind of exciting now: she works at a major motion picture studio among powerful studio executives and stylish stars. Still nothing can distract her from her true goal. With help from her friend Jack and guidance from the great singer Paul Robeson, she will f...more
Published June 25th 2013 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Golden Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Golden Girl

Siege and Storm by Leigh BardugoInk by Amanda SunAshes on the Waves by Mary LindseyAnother Little Piece by Kate Karyus QuinnDare You To by Katie McGarry
New YA June 2013
52nd out of 69 books — 91 voters
Eversea by Natasha BoydAnother Little Piece by Kate Karyus QuinnSiege and Storm by Leigh BardugoInk by Amanda SunBurning by Elana K. Arnold
June 2013 YA Book Releases To Obsess Over
39th out of 70 books — 42 voters

More lists with this book...

Xxendlessautumnxx
Title: Golden Girl

Author: Sarah Zettel

Age Group: Teen/Young Adult

Genre: Fantasy/Historical Fiction

Series: The American Fairy, book two

Star Rating: 5 out of 5 stars

The bottom line: The explosive sequel to Dust Girl, Golden Girl did not disappoint in the least--I am so excited to read Bad Luck Girl! Simply amazing.

This book was given to me by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

*Possible spoilers if readers haven't read Dust Girl, so beware!*

Callie LeRoux has made it out of Kansas. But...more
Tamora Pierce
Callie and Jack find that Hollywood, governed by the lovely and glittering Seelie Court (better known as movie stars and moguls), is a hard place to live, and the forces that it brings to bear on their friendship are driving them apart. They do make new friends, including the great actor Paul Robson, but will they be enough to keep the pair from being destroyed by their enemies.

This and its predecessor are great for people who are looking for American diversity in their fantasy. Callie has to en...more
Courtney
In volume two of the American Fairy series, we catch up to Callie LaRoux in Hollywood, the seat of power for the Unseelie Court. Callie and Jack obtain jobs with MGM studios, which seems to be the best way of going about finding Callie's parents and settling this whole prophecy business. Things start to go awry when Jack and Callie witness a young starlet, Ivy Bright (think Shirley Temple), about to be kidnapped by fairies. They rescue her with the aid of a well-known singer, Paul Robeson, who,...more
Misty Baker
*** A 3.5 Review as posted on KindleObsessed blog ***

There is this quote by the amazing Joss Whedon that says:

“I am a fan of sequels even though they are inevitably awful.”

Now, Joss was of course speaking about theatrical sequels, but the last four words of his simple statement (they are inevitably awful) are (sadly) more than often true when it comes to literature as well.

These “awful sequels” however do not usually come on the tail of a less than impressive predecessor. Nine times out of ten...more
Amy
Setting/World Building: 4/5
Main Character: 4/5
Other Characters: 4/5
Plot: 4/5
Writing: 4/5
Triggering/Issues: 4/5 (For the 'other girl' angle in the romance, ugh.)

AVERAGED TOTAL: 4 out of 5.

This is a slightly less enthusiastic 4 than the first book in the series. The thing is, there wasn't much massively wrong with this sequel, and while I did read through it in one day, it didn't have the same SPARK as the first one did. I think the problem for me was with the main character Callie, and the sort-...more
Dlora
This is Book Two in the American Fairy Trilogy following Dust Girl. While the period details about the Dust Bowl were really great in the first book, this second one set in Hollywood during the Depression era didn't have the same atmospheric feel--maybe because rich movie tycoons throwing decadent, glittering parties with starlets willing to do anything to break into the movies hasn't changed much. It seemed more time was spent developing the conflict between the fairies and Callie learning what...more
Tea
Some of the same problems I encountered in Dust Girl, but with fewer of its redeeming qualities. Still incredibly imagined, just not my cup of tea. Maybe a virulent case of Middle Book Syndrome? Still, I'll read the third book because I'm already invested in Callie's and Jack's fate – despite this book distancing me from them a bit. (A real rating would be 2.5 stars, but since I shafted Zettel on half a star for Dust Girl, I don't feel as bad about giving her one here. Also, the charaterisation...more
manda-rae
This book dives right into where Callie's life left off with the last book. Callie, the Unseelie Court heir, is on a mission to find her parents. And while the fae will stop at nothing to control Callie due that pesky prophecy surrounding her, she's not going to let them stop her.

Callie and Jack have landed themselves in California trying to locate the entrance to the Seelie Court. They have her parents, and she wants them back. While merging into the movie star spotlight, they meet some interes...more
Gwyneth Stewart
I downloaded this book as soon as it became available, and read it in under 48 hours. Now I'm sorry. Not because I didn't love it, because I did, but because I now have probably a year to wait until the next book in the series comes out.
I loved Dust Girl, which was set in the midwest during the dust bowl, because it was an interesting and new take on magic and fairies. Golden Girl continues in that vein, with Callie and her friend Jack having made it to California. Hollywood, to be exact. Callie...more
Mara
Cover Blurb: Yes or No? I'm not a fan of the cover art, because there is a character impersonator. But I do like the color scheme and that it at least is sticking to a theme - in other words, the covers for Book #1 and #2 match!

Characters: Callie and Jack are still really awesome. Callie is smart and sensible and fits the era perfectly. Jack is loyal and quick-witted and has a great sense of humor. And while I definitely didn't like (i.e. trust) Shake in Dust Girl, I actually did trust him in Go...more
Heidi
Four stars: An imaginative, creative and magical series.

Callie nervously straightens her suit. She is heading to MGM studios to meet Jack to try and find a gate into Fairy. Since there desperate escape from the dust plains and the Midnight Court, Jack and Callie have been trying to remain undetected by the Fae. Here amongst the glitz and glamour of Hollywood the dust bowl seems far behind, but Callie and Jack know that the Fae are attracted to the glamorous California lifestyle so they are ever...more
Bookboy
Golden Girl picks up in the aftermath of Dust Girl, the first book in the American Fairy Trilogy. Once again, we find ourselves in the company of Callie and Jack, this time in the glamour and glitz of Depression-era Hollywood. Callie is determined to find and free her parents, who are being held by the fae, but the fae themselves have very different plans for her and her family.

As I read Golden Girl, I found myself immersed once again in a fantastically realised alternate, though at times two di...more
Emma (Miss Print)
"Once upon a time in Kansas, there was a normal girl called Callie. I thought she was me. I'd been told all my life she was me.

"Turns out, all my life I'd been lied to. Turns out, I was about as far from a normal girl as you could get."

After a hard-won victory, Callie LeRoux has finally made her way out of the Dust Bowl. Her small life in a small Kansas town is miles and miles away, along with any believe Callie had that her life would be normal. Now she is in the bright, sunny world of Califo...more
Pamela
I love serendipitous book discovery. It's even better when it's at the library and I don't have to pay for the book I so impulsively decided to read. A little over a year ago, I picked up Dust Girl by Sarah Zettel. I didn't know what to expect, but it sounded interesting and ... okay, fine, I liked the cover.

My, my. Dust Girl was so much more than I'd expected. It's a familiar story: girl finds out she is half (insert something magical/fantastical/imaginary here), girl goes on quest, girl is "ch...more
Karin
Second in American Fairy trilogy, this novel follows Callie to 1930's era Hollywood, still searching for her parents and being chased by Seelie/Unseelie fairies because of the prophecy surrounding her existence. Loved the old Hollywood details, love the combination of history w/fairy lore, love the bi-racial (and so what?) main character. Next up: #3!
Betsy
Really enjoyed this one, too. But wonder how many of the target audience know who Paul Robeson, William Randolph Hearst, and Marion Davies are. Also, wonder if you've never been to San Simeon how effective parts of the book would be.
Emma
Even better than Dust Girl. I love how the characters are so fluid in whether they are "good" or "bad" it all changes so often. Bad Luck Girl is next but I can't get it on hold yet...
MJ
2d book in series beginning with Dust Girl. Here Callie is more confident, finding her voice. Instead of the Dust Bowl, we've traveled to Hollywood where she and Jack hope to find another door into the fairy world to find her parents. Why Hollywood? Because fairy's like all that is perfect and beautiful in the human world. Partly enjoyed this because some of the action takes place at San Simeon, the Hurst mansion, and my grandfather took me there when is was 11ish. So beautiful!!!

I'm hoping the...more
Sandy
I hadn't been aware that the series was going to continue to follow Callie; somehow I'd gotten it into my head that each story would be distinct - no idea why. It was nice to have this pick up where the last book ended, but with enough back story filled in that I wasn't lost (since it's been a while since I read the first one). I love Zettel's writing style, and this is no exception; the addition of actual historical figures was fun, and I'm enjoying learning the "rules" of Callie's new life as...more
Jennifer Henschel
This book is better than the first! I was about to put it down and am kind of glad that I finished it.
Vi
I love the idea of tying California history with the Seelie, but it is plodding writing.
Saleena Davidson
Golden Girl is the sequel to Dust Girl. Callie is now in Hollywood looking for the portal and a way to her family. She is hoping to sneak in and rescue them, as she isn't confident enough to "storm the castle" and take them back.
I think Zettel does a great job of showing readers the intersection of Faery and Hollywood fairy tale while setting the story in a 1930s historical setting. If you like stories of the fae and are looking for something different, this is the series for you.
Brianna
This was a worthy sequel to Dust Girl. As the story was shifted to 1930's Hollywood, we got to see more of America in that era. I found it almost as interesting as I did all the Dust Bowl details from the first book. THere was lots of action, revelations and secrets, all making this into an interesting book. Because of the ending, I'm extremely excited for the next installment of this series. I can't wait to see what happens, and how the characters grow even more.
Cecilia Rodriguez
Callie and Jack have made it to Hollywood California and are hanging around the famous Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer studio.
Callie meets Paul Robeson a black actor who was latter black listed in the McCarthey Era.
Zettel also uses the well-known San Simeon estate as a location.

The author does a great job of weaving history and fantasy together.
I also liked her depiction of Paul Robeson; especially since I wrote my high school Enghish paper about him.
Vicky
This is a great follow up to Dust Girl. Callie and Jack have made it to California and the search is on for Callie's parents. Along the way, they have to continue to fend off her uncle, nasty fairies and other beings, and puzzle out who is a true friend, and who just wants to use them.

If you liked Dust Girl, you'll enjoy this one as well.
This was a good sequel to Dust Girl, but I felt it was lacking something that the first book had. I will definitely still read the next book though to find out how things all end for Callie and Jack.
Lara
Nicely done, with only a little middle-book-syndrome slowing it down. And the scene in the middle of the book where Callie briefly reaches her parents and sees the state they're in made me tear up. Seriously. High-quality heartstring-wrenching, Ms. Zettel.
Ariel
Fully worthy successor to Dust Fairy. The magic comes to Hollywood. Literally. Some very disturbing sequences where Hallie's parents are forced to clown a la Amos & Andy. Hard to say more without giving it all away.
Sarah Mae
Part of a trilogy but I hadn't read the first one and I got the gist of it. I liked that Paul rObeson was a character and wished he had a bigger part :-)
Erica
Nov 08, 2013 Erica marked it as did-not-finish
Don't know what it was about this one - I was super intrigued and loving the concept, but for some reason, I just couldn't motivate myself to finish. Will pick up again later.
  • Love Me (Starstruck, #2)
  • The Secret Ingredient
  • Written in Stone
  • A Moment Comes
  • Who Needs Magic? (Magic, #2)
  • A Matter of Days
  • Every Day After
  • The Morning Star (Katerina, #3)
  • Still Star-Crossed
  • Rusted Veins (Sabina Kane, #5.5)
  • How to Catch a Bogle (Bogle #1)
  • With Fate Conspire (Onyx Court, #4)
  • Faerie After (Bones of Faerie, #3)
  • Spirit's Chosen (Spirit's Princess, #2)
  • The Last Stormdancer (The Lotus War, #0.6)
  • A Girl Called Problem
  • Confessions of a So-Called Middle Child
  • Hammer of Witches
Sarah Zettel is the critically acclaimed author of more than twenty novels, spanning the full range of genre fiction. Her debut novel, Reclamation, won the Locus Award for Best First Novel. Her second release, Fool’s War, was a 1997 New York Times Notable Book, and the American Library Association named Playing God one of the Best Books for Young Adults of 1999. Her novel Bitter Angels won the Phi...more
More about Sarah Zettel...
Dust Girl (The American Fairy, #1) Palace of Spies (Palace of Spies, #1) A Taste of the Nightlife (Vampire Chef, #1) In Camelot's Shadow (The Paths to Camelot, #1) A Sorcerer's Treason (Isavalta, #1)