Start by marking “Shallow Breath” as Want to Read:

3.91  ·  Rating Details  ·  551 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
How far would you go to save someone you love?

Two years ago, Desi Priest made a horrific mistake and destroyed her family.

Now, she is coming home to make amends: to her daughter Maya, who’s nurturing her own dangerous plan; to her brother Jackson, who blames himself; and to her close friend Pete, who has spent years shielding her from a devastating truth.

But as Desi retu
Published December 3rd 2012 by Random House

To ask other readers questions about Shallow Breath, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shallow Breath

Susan May
Jan 04, 2016 Susan May rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012
"DEEP CONNECTIONS"
“It’s about connections, across difficult boundaries,” comments Sara Foster, in describing her third novel SHALLOW BREATH. And there are so many extraordinary connections over the twenty year span of the story that your head will spin; but spin in a good way where you keep wondering what impact did this character have on this one. Even the animals in the book are connected and their impact on the human characters is also long-ranging.

If you have ever visited or lived in West
Dale Harcombe
Aug 20, 2013 Dale Harcombe rated it liked it
While I found it interesting, I found this a hard book to read for several reasons. The first is the way it is structured. The chapters jump around from one character to another and then to complicate matters from one time period to another so it never really gelled as a story for me. Just as I was settling down with Maya, Desi's daughter or Desi, recently released from prison, I was hauled off to another of the several characters. This meant I never actually felt greatly emotionally connected t ...more
Lauren Murphy
Shallow Breath is the third psychological suspense novel to be released by Australian author, Sara Foster. It’s a slow-building story that explores worldwide issues of animal cruelty and the conservation efforts of those who dedicate their lives to protecting animals. It looks at issues pertaining to five different species of animals including sharks, dolphins, elephants, kangaroos and orangutan and though set primarily in Western Australia it does span five continents.

Shallow Breath switches vi
Sara
Sep 29, 2012 Sara rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Reviewing one's own book always feels a little, er, wrong - and now with the recent furore over authors secretly high-fiving themselves with maximum star allocations, I'm not sure this is PC at the moment! However, I hope you'll forgive me this one five-star review, because I love this book just as much as my two previous ones and want to cheer it on its way. I work extremely hard on all my books, but this one was particularly intense - I lived and breathed everything about it for a year, and I' ...more
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out

Bestselling author Sara Foster presents her third novel, Shallow Breath, a compelling story of loss and love.

After two years of incarceration, Desi Priest is finally free to return home and begin making amends for the impulsive act that destroyed her family. While her long term friend, Pete, welcomes her back with open arms, her teenage daughter, Maya, will barely talk to her, neither her father or he brother, Jackson, can look her in the eye and her best friend, Rebecca, may never be able to fo
Brenda
Desi was on her way home with Pete, from the prison where she had spent the last almost two years of her life. The mistake she made devastated her family, her impressionable teen daughter Maya, her brother Jackson and her surly father…along with her dearest friend Rebecca and her family. She needed to make amends to Maya, but she wasn’t sure where to start.

When Desi was young, a teenager herself, her love and passion for the ocean and all creatures within it, came into being. She especially love
This Charming Mum
Mar 20, 2013 This Charming Mum rated it really liked it
MarciaB - Book Muster Down Under
Best-selling psychological suspense writer Sara Foster took months to work up the courage to watch The Cove, an infamous documentary exposing Japan’s dolphin hunting culture, and when she finally did she wept for much of the film. A long-time animal lover, Sara couldn’t turn away from what she had seen. A year later, she visited “the cove” for herself, determined to write about it.

Shallow Breath is Sara’s “love letter to the ocean”. A deeply touching novel highlighting both the atrocious acts of
Monique Fischle
Feb 12, 2013 Monique Fischle rated it really liked it
From the press release:

Two years ago, Desi Priest made a horrific mistake and destroyed her family.

Now, she is coming home to make amends: to her daughter, Maya, who’s nurturing her own dangerous plans; to her brother, Jackson, who blames himself; and to her close friend, Pete, who has spent years shielding her from a devastating truth.

But as Desi returns to her beloved house by the ocean, there is a stranger waiting for her. Someone who needs her help. Someone whose arrival will reveal a chain
Julia
Dec 28, 2012 Julia rated it liked it
When the book opens, Desi has just been released from prison and is returning to the small Western Australian town where she has lived her entire life. Desi's passion is the sea and particularly dolphins - a passion that she shared with Connor, the father of her now grown up daughter Maya. The book encompasses a large group of inter-related characters, all of whom seem to be harbouring some secret and all of whom share a deep love of wildlife, whether it's dolphins, whale sharks, elephants or or ...more
Josephine
May 04, 2013 Josephine marked it as wish-list
Today I met Sara Foster at a bookstore for something to deal with this book and after having a nice conversation about dystopian novels (she wrote me recommendations) I took some of the bookmarks for this book... I'm normally not into these types of books but I'm going to try and find these books someone and give them ago because Sara was a really nice person to meet and I would love to see her writing style :)
Eliza
Apr 24, 2015 Eliza rated it it was ok
Shallow Breath was an enjoyable book. Although the plot and the characters were interesting, I felt like there wasn't enough development regarding Desi's psychology and overcoming either her guilt or trauma caused by her past. I was also surprised to see the whole book was based around animal conservation - not that I minded, but it totally wasn't what I expected.

Basically in the story we find Desi, a mother, widow and dolphin-lover, out of prison, determined to make amends to her friend and re
Monique Mulligan
Dec 06, 2012 Monique Mulligan rated it really liked it
Author: Sara Foster
Random House RRP $32.95
Review: Monique Mulligan

After reading psychological thrillers Beneath the Shadows and Come Back to Me I had high hopes for Sara Foster’s third novel, Shallow Breath. She did not disappoint - delivering another taut, suspenseful read bursting with family secrets and hope.

Just released from prison after making a horrible mistake that impacted on family and friends, Desi Priest has returned to her childhood home to make amends with the people
Helen McKenna
Growing up on the beautiful West Australian coast, all Desi ever wanted to do was work with dolphins. As a teenager that dream comes true when she gets a job at the Atlantis marine park near her home town. Devastated when the park is closed, she is thrilled to meet Connor, a young American who is just as passionate about dolphins as she is. Their relationship is passionate but brief when he is tragically killed, leaving her pregnant and alone. She works hard to provide a living for her daughter ...more
Tash
Feb 28, 2013 Tash rated it really liked it
Reviewed for Confessions From Romaholics

To see review at Confessions

Shallow Breath is the first book I have read by Australian author Sara Foster. It’s an intriguing and compelling story about a family trying to reconnect after an incident nearly two years ago that left Desi Priest, a mother, sister and daughter, in jail. The book opens with Desi getting out of jail and returning to the area where she hopes to reconnect with her family. Desi’s past means it will not be as straightforward as it s
Simone
Apr 20, 2013 Simone rated it really liked it
Desi has just been released from prison, having spent two years there after an impulsive act that tore her family apart. Desperate to make amends she soon realises this will not be as easy as she hoped. Her teenage daughter Maya is aloof and distant, while her brother and father also struggle to maintain any sense of normalcy. Fortunately her friend Pete is in her corner and it is he who helps her negotiate her way back to her old life.

Told through a multiple POV perspective, Shallow Breath also
Miss
Apr 01, 2013 Miss rated it really liked it
Shallow Breath is the third novel by best-selling contemporary fiction writer Sara Foster. I feel that this book was meant to be written at this time in our history as it raises many critical issues about animal welfare, not just in Australia, but across the globe. I will admit from the outset that I’m not a ‘fast’ reader, and I don’t like to skim-read novels in the fear that I might skip over an important detail. This may have affected how I read Shallow Breath, as I felt that I didn’t experi ...more
Jul 02, 2016 Sarah rated it really liked it
Advertised as a love story of the ocean. I would say it is also a love story of earth. And he creatures in it. And how we can and should do more to combat brutality against the animals and the environment in which we live. Often times this book was overly preachy and an obvious tool to encourage animal conservation. But I could overlook those moments to really get to know the characters, who except for Rick, all have many layers.
Diane Luzar
Apr 12, 2013 Diane Luzar rated it it was ok
Sorry, but I did not enjoy this book. The book description of the story mentioned nothing at all about wild life and saving them. As much as I love animals it's not my favorite genre to read in a fictional novel. I found it very hard to read since there were so many characters and every time a new name popped up I just thought, "oh no, another I have to try and remember". I got lost so many times I would have to go back and read over again what I had read the previous day. Too much jumping aroun ...more
Paula Clark
Dec 21, 2012 Paula Clark rated it really liked it
This is one of very few books that have left me angry! Angry at the human race and the way beautiful and innocent animals are treated and slaughtered. This compelling story moved back and forth from past to present and highlighted just a few of the species under threat from abuse, slaughter, hunting and loss of habitat - the Australian Kangaroo, Dolphins in Japan, Orangutans in Sumatra, Whale Sharks in the Galopagos Islands, Elephants in Africa as well as also highlighting the brutality of domes ...more
Jacky
Jul 20, 2016 Jacky rated it really liked it
Really focuses on animal rights and cruelty to animals. A difficult read and sad reminder how humans can be so cruel
Lynne Harwood
Jun 14, 2016 Lynne Harwood rated it did not like it
Shelves: gave-up-reading
when I got to the part about the boys playing "football"with a baby kangaroo (joey) I stopped reading - wanted no part of it
Susie Griffin
Feb 18, 2013 Susie Griffin rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book - enhanced perhaps because of my age and living not far from where this book is set. I can remember going to Atlantis! In a similar way to Tim Winton, Sara Foster really describes the way it feels to be in the Western Australian landscape and I loved that aspect of the book. I also loved the suspense, am sure I read each chapter faster than the last. A book I will definitely recommend others to read and was a great recommendation to me from the lovely Jane at Beaufort ...more
Natasha Lester
Jan 22, 2013 Natasha Lester rated it really liked it
I thought Sara's passion for conservation shone through in this book - I love to learn things when I'm reading a novel and I learned a lot about what happens to our animals in this story. The research that Sara must have had to wade through to write this book would be astounding, but the story never feels weighed down by detail. It all fits seamlessly into the plot, which is gripping. I was completely absorbed by Shallow Breath, its characters, the story and the setting.
Chloe
Feb 19, 2016 Chloe rated it really liked it
Shelves: aussie-author
Mix a dash of mystery, a dollop of environmental issues, a generous sprinkle of family ties and values, and you have Shallow Breath. Told from multiple points of view, and jumping around the time line of events, this story was enjoyable from start to finish. Obviously well researched and conservation is clearly a topic of interest for the author. I really enjoyed the dolphin story line throughout.

Set in Australia, written by an awesome Aussie author - bonus!
Stacey Zeller
Feb 26, 2013 Stacey Zeller rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book for free through a Goodreads First Reads giveaway. While this book has a good plot line, i personally found it hard to follow sometimes because it switches point of view so often. I didn't feel it was a smooth, flowing book. I however enjoyed the story and liked how the author hinted at things that happenned without coming right out and saying it.
Claire
Feb 04, 2013 Claire rated it really liked it
I really enjoy Sara's new book. It was completely different to the other book I have read by her. It gave me a lot to think about in terms of the environment and the animals we need to protect. I don't think I would be as brave as the people in this story as to the lengths I would go to protect the animals, but would like in some way to make a difference.
Annabel Smith
A really enjoyable psychological suspense story which centres on the complex relationships between two families over two generations and takes place against a backdrop of animal conservation which I found very interesting (and also at terms disturbing). I read it in a couple of settings and loved the way the mystery unfolded.
Meagan
Feb 13, 2013 Meagan rated it it was amazing
Wow.It took me a few chapters to initially get into the swing of this book, but I am so glad to have persevered. What a brilliant and poignant novel that rings with such relevance in the current events of today.So many of our beautiful,wild creatures are in danger of extinction- let us hope we can win in the war against poachers.
Punita Mandalia
Nov 07, 2012 Punita Mandalia rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to get a proof copy of this book. The story is so captivating and so full of family mysteries that it was hard to put down. I learn't so much about the animals mentioned and the issues surrounding them in the real world...and I can't wait to meet Nicki the dolphin in Monkey Mia oneday!
  • Darkness on the Edge of Town
  • Queen of the Road
  • Paper Chains
  • Ryders Ridge
  • The Girl in the Yellow Vest
Sara Foster is the bestselling author of four psychological suspense novels, ALL THAT IS LOST BETWEEN US, SHALLOW BREATH, BENEATH THE SHADOWS, and COME BACK TO ME.

Born and raised in the UK, Sara worked for a time in the HarperCollins fiction department in London, before turning her hand to freelance editing, and writing in her spare time.

It wasn't until 2007 that Sara decided to pursue her dream
More about Sara Foster...