Start by marking “Detention of the Living Dead” as Want to Read:
Detention of the Living Dead

Detention of the Living Dead

Maxine “Max” Compton is in detention when the outbreak starts; so are several other students when Max’s best friend Brie storms in – chomping on the thigh bone of their favorite Home Ec teacher, Ms. Watkins!

Brie is a zombie, and quickly starts biting everyone in the room—even her best friend, Max!

When the class realizes what happens, it’s too late; they are all zombies—and
ebook
Published October 2012 by Bono Books (first published September 27th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Detention of the Living Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Detention of the Living Dead

Nicki Markus
Sep 30, 2012 Nicki Markus rated it liked it
Shelves: read-paranormal
I have read and enjoyed previous books by Rusty Fischer and so I had no hesitation in accepting a review copy of his latest work when approached by the publisher.

Overall this was a fairly enjoyable, quick and easy read. As usual, zombie mayhem ensued with plenty of action and comedy thrown in.

For me, though, this lacked some of the impact of his other books. The story and characters just didn't grab me in the same way as previous works. It was still a fun read, but I didn't feel as invested in t
Vicki (The Wolf's Den)
Amazon ~ Smashwords ~ Bono Bookstore
Zombies Don't Blog

I've read and enjoyed a number of Rusty's teen humor/romance/horror stories, so when Decadent Publishing e-mailed me about his latest book, I jumped at the chance.

You've no doubt seen the surge of supernatural, and specifically zombie material these days. And really, a lot of it is the same. Zombie outbreak occurs, main characters try to survive while slowly but surely they get picked off one by one... It's a pretty bleak outlook, to be sure
Smash
Courtesy of Smash Attack Reads

Interest in Book: It's Rusty Fischer writing zombies! That's always an entertaining combination. I will admit that this was not my favorite Rusty book, mainly due to lack of character connections on my part, but it was entertaining and full of his fun phrasing. His books always make me smile! Emotion = Win.

My Thoughts: The world-building was simple yet fun. A strange bunch of kids in detention get turned into zombies. Some can think, others...not so much. They retai
Novels On The Run
Oct 25, 2012 Novels On The Run rated it really liked it
MICHELLE'S REVIEW:

RATING: 4 BONE CRUNCHING STARS!

I have read and enjoyed ‘Zombies Don’t Cry’ one of many works by Rusty Fischer. Detention of the Living Dead has reunited me with Rusty’s humorous, gory style of writing from teenager’s points of view.

Who would have thought that these Rejects of the Detention room would have found themselves in the safest place during the ‘Gym Class Zombie Massacre?

Or was it?

Who can be trusted?

I can’t tell you, you have to read the book.

Rusty has a wonderful
Michelle  novelsontherun
Oct 25, 2012 Michelle novelsontherun rated it really liked it

RATING: 4 BONE CRUNCHING STARS!

Or was it?

Who can be trusted?

I can’t tell you, you have to read the book.

Rusty has a wonderful imagination that t
Lizzy Lessard
Nov 16, 2012 Lizzy Lessard rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed, ya, humor
Detention of the Living Dead is simply the best zombie novel I’ve ever read. Amazing job with the narrative and humor. I wasn’t expecting to love this first chapter as much if not more than I loved the first chapter of Percy Jackson. Seriously, it was that good. I finished the book in 2 hours without stopping — okay, I did stop once for diaper duty, but that was it!

Overview: There are very few books that can wow within the first couple of paragraphs and fewer still that keep that momentum throug
Alaiel Kreuz
Nov 05, 2012 Alaiel Kreuz rated it really liked it
Our main character, Max, is a very normal and simple girl that is sometimes bullied by the cool girls of her class, like Jaycee, who likes tormenting her a little too much.
And everything begins the day Brie (Max's best friend) tells Max to step up and defend herself... which ends with them all in Detention.

During Detention and while Max is trying not to stare at Cory (her sort of love interest) the sound system of the school turns on and the Principal begins to shout that zombies are taking the
Maghon Thomas
Dec 24, 2012 Maghon Thomas rated it it was amazing
So, I know zombies are supposed to be scary, and they are, but I didn’t expect them to be funny! I believe a big part of that is the main character’s voice, but I giggled lots from the sarcastic and hilarious way that Max talks. But scary because who wants to be a zombie, in “detention” being poked, prodded and tortures for the “better of the people”? Sounds interesting, right?

So the main character is Maxine aka Max who I loved. She has an exceptional way of telling this story and it begins when
A Book Vacation
Oct 21, 2012 A Book Vacation rated it really liked it
Fischer is back with his latest zombie tale, and it’s another winner! I really enjoyed getting to know Max, especially as she and her “friends” struggled to maintain their humanity in after being unceremoniously turned into zombies.

I think what I like best about Fischer’s writing is that it’s unique. He doesn’t follow the traditional zombie lore, and he’s fantastically funny in his telling of events. Though the novel is set in detention, there is so much more to the story than that, and I found
Autumn (Fic Talk)
Rusty Fischer delivers another fun-filled zombie romp with Detention of the Living Dead. More fun, silliness, teenage infatuation, and humor drips from the pages than the usual gore of a zombie-centered novel. I, for one, am very thankful for that. I’m not into gory stuff.

Maxine “Max” Compton is in detention (with Nikki, Bobby, Jaycee, and Cory) when a zombie infestation starts. What follows is their journey becoming a zombie. There’s a little bit too much vomiting in one case, but that’s the on
FicTalk Blog
Jan 31, 2013 FicTalk Blog rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, reviewed-in-2013
Reviewed by Autumn at Fic-Talk.com

Chrystal
Oct 31, 2012 Chrystal rated it liked it
Why I've waited so long to read a Rusty Fischer book? I have no idea. It's not like I don't own two of them on my shelves (Vamplayers and Zombies Don't Cry), nor heard the most amazing things about his writing, but for some reason this is the first story I've read by this amazingly witty author.

This was such fun read - fast paced, not your typical zombie story - Mr. Fischer doesn't follow the rules and creates zombies that actually retain brain function and can still make decisions, still crac
The Haunted Reading Room {Cthulhu Down the Chimney Tonight}
Nov 20, 2012 The Haunted Reading Room {Cthulhu Down the Chimney Tonight} rated it it was amazing
Recommended to The Haunted Reading Room by: Full Moon Bites Blog Tour
Review of Detention of the Living Dead by Rusty Fischer
Reviewed for Full Moon Bites Blog Tours Nov. 21 2012
5 Stars

A surprisingly heartfelt and deep-digging story, “Detention of the Living Dead” is to your ordinary Zombie novel as, say, Literary Fiction would be to a comic book. No offense to comic books or Zombie fiction; but this one is quite something else. Original Zombie categories (Zombification might be the better term), characters who are revealed down to the bone (yes, literally, but her
Jessie Wilkens
Jan 28, 2013 Jessie Wilkens rated it really liked it
I love the cross between classic and modern zombies. There were plenty of awesomely gory moments and action scenes. I enjoyed the innocent relationship between Max and Cory. This was the perfect amount of camp, which I seem to only be able to find in Rusty Fischer's novels.
Sam
Mar 06, 2013 Sam rated it really liked it
Another great story by Rusty Fischer! I will be reading more of his books!!!
J.A. Campbell
J.A. Campbell rated it really liked it
Sep 29, 2013
Theresa
Theresa rated it it was amazing
Oct 06, 2012
Ms.
Ms. rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2013
Shinnra
Shinnra rated it it was amazing
Nov 30, 2012
Linda Leon
Linda Leon rated it really liked it
Apr 21, 2014
Zoe Rivera
Zoe Rivera rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2016
Decadent Publishing LLC
Decadent Publishing LLC rated it it was amazing
Oct 05, 2012
Jackie
Jackie rated it liked it
Oct 07, 2012
Bonnie (Words at Home Blog)
Bonnie (Words at Home Blog) rated it really liked it
Oct 15, 2012
Amanda Cobb
Amanda Cobb marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2012
Ashley Ehlers
Ashley Ehlers marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2012
Jade Ashworth
Jade Ashworth marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2012
Wt
Wt marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2012
Deanna
Deanna marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2012
Silverunicorn
Silverunicorn marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2012
Cassandra Shanahan
Cassandra Shanahan marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2012
Hollow May
Hollow May marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2012
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2012
Brandy
Brandy marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2012
Nancy (The Avid Reader)
Nancy (The Avid Reader) marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2012
Lindsay
Lindsay marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2012
Lily
Lily marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2012
Olivia
Olivia marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2012
Inti
Inti marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2012
Nuttakarn
Nuttakarn marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2012
Marie Warkoczewski
Marie Warkoczewski marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2012
Krystal
Krystal marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2012
Sandra "Jeanz"
Sandra "Jeanz" marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2012
Crystal
Crystal marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2013
Darcy Leerhoff
Darcy Leerhoff marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2013
Roy Huff
Roy Huff marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2013
Rusty Fischer is the author of several YA supernatural novels, including Zombies Don't Cry, Ushers, Inc., Becca Bloom & the Drumsticks of Doom and Panty Raid @ Zombie High.
More about Rusty Fischer...