Start by marking “Bigger Than Beckham (Philadelphia Patriots, #3)” as Want to Read:
Bigger Than Beckham (Philadelphia Patriots, #3)

Bigger Than Beckham (Philadelphia Patriots #3)

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  549 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Sports journalist Martha Winston loves her career, but her life goes sideways when she inherits a pro soccer team from her father. The team is almost bankrupt and on the skids, but Martha has vowed to save her beloved father’s legacy. But she needs to get a financial infusion fast, or else lose the team to the wolves baying at her door.

Former British soccer hero Tony Branc
Kindle Edition
Published October 2012

To ask other readers questions about Bigger Than Beckham, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bigger Than Beckham

Empty Net by Toni AleoTrying to Score by Toni AleoDaddy's Game by Normandie AllemanBlue Lines by Toni AleoFalling for the Backup by Toni Aleo
sports romance
32nd out of 193 books — 167 voters
Taking Shots by Toni AleoEmpty Net by Toni AleoTrying to Score by Toni AleoDaddy's Game by Normandie AllemanTaking a Shot by Jaci Burton
Best Books About Being In Love With a Pro Athlete
41st out of 110 books — 133 voters

More lists with this book...

Sheryl
Oct 21, 2012 Sheryl marked it as to-read
ITS HERE!!!!! GOT IT!!!! YAY!!!
Becky
Martha Winston is a renown sports writer in her own right. Unexpectedly, she inherits a Pro soccer team when her father dies. On his death bed she promises him it will always stay in the family. But the team falls apart and she is in financial ruin. Tony Branch is a British ex-soccer star who wants to add the Thunder to his empire of revamped teams and to make his mark in the American leagues. He is used to contoling everyone and everything, and usually stops at nothing to get what he wants and ...more
Beatriz
I wasn't planning on reading Martha's story originally (because her character wasn't all that interesting to me), but since she's a close friend of Nate's, I figured I'd check it out and see if we get any more appearances from Nate and Holly. They didn't show up until the very end, but Martha's story turned out to be more interesting than I expected.

The beginning of the book drags a little bit because it's setting up the conflict of Martha's soccer team doing poorly and deciding whether to sell.
Melody May
Also on http://sillymelody.blogspot.com

For the past few days, I have been reading V.K. Sykes' Bigger Than Beckham. I was able to finish it today and I have been trying to figure out what to say about this book. So, before I get into that let me share what the book is about and what I thought of the story.

Martha Winston a sport journalist who happen to inherit her father's soccer team. Knowing not much about soccer except that her father loved the sport and promise to keep it going after his deat
Paige
***Slight Details***

I didn’t enjoy BIGGER THAN BECKHAM as much as I enjoyed the first two books mainly because of the storyline. Even though I know everything will work out, I dislike when the male lead comes into the scene planning to take over the female’s business in some form or fashion.

I also didn’t care too much for sports journalist Martha Winston. She just didn’t have the same feel to her that Jake and Nate had in their story. Her southern bell act wasn’t endearing and quickly got on my
Karen Cino
The first two books in this series were awesome. This book, the 3rd in the series, I wanted to love, but I just couldn't get into it. I liked the story but felt the story was dragged out. I list interest in the book. I'd read a little then have to put it down. I felt if the book would have been condensed the story would have been a much better read. In this case, shorter would have been better.

But please read the first two books they were awesome.

Kate
Mar 19, 2014 Kate rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: e-rom
I think this one was my favorite of the series. Martha and Tony were very cute together and I enjoyed the backdrop of her struggles to keep her promise to her father and his desire to buy her team. I was a little irritated with them that it took so long for them to come to the solution that I thought was pretty obviously staring them in the face. Characters failing to effectively communicate is one of my romance novel pet peeves so the fact that she never told Tony the .1% was why she ran out on ...more
Amanda
I am teetering here between a 3-4 star...I really feel there was just something missing in this book. I loved the main characters but for as long as this book was compared to the first two there could have been something more exciting. With the kidnapping of Maddie in book 1, and Holly being held hostage I felt this book didn't live up to the other 2.
I was REALLY hoping that there would be an angle with Colton maybe attacking or trying to attack Martha. Not to mention the book ended weirdly to
Christina Montminy
I enjoyed this book but not as much as the other 2. There was more sex in this book that the others but this one didn't seem as hot as the others. Martha was a hoot but also a sad loveable character, trying to make up for disappointing her father yrs before she makes him a death bed promise to keep his soccer team going. Everyone & everything is against that happening. Tony is a former superstar football(soccer) player turned owner from England who is interested in Martha's team & Martha ...more
Gina Ceballos
I have enjoyed the first 2 book of this series so much, that I didn’t really think much when I bought the 3rd installment. Soccer is not really my thing. Not a sport I like or watch or care for in any way. That been said… I truly enjoy every word in this book.

Martha was way over her head with the team she inherited, though part of her problem was foul play by people around her, but that’s life.

Tony was the Knight in shining armor (or at least he thought he was) to the damsel in distress. A damse
Micky
Loved this book. This made me a soccer fan, and not just because of those little shorts either. Great read.
Lisa
Just didn't like the storyline much
Nancy Goldberg
I'm so glad Martha got her own book -- I loved her as secondary in the other two books in the series. She's funny and someone I'd love to have as a friend. I liked Tony also, as well as the author's descriptions of London and Jacksonville.

This book started out slow for me at first, but the pace picked up. I don't know anything about soccer, so it was interesting to learn a little more about it. I understand Martha's devotion to her father getting in the way of the problems the team was having.

Re
Brandi Porter
I have to say out of all 3 of the Philadelphia Patriots series, this one is my favorite. I loved Martha's sense of humor and her devotion to her father, his team, and his employees; when she clearly did not have to be. Oh, and Tony what an all-around loveable guy. I'm glad he was upfront with his intentions at the same time he was devoted to her from the beginning. She had so many obstacles to overcome and with Tony’s help she was able to overcome them and I loved that. Great story!!
Debra Mandel
Loved this book - looking forward to reading book 4.
Sarah Magner
Cute story but definitely my least favorite of the first three Philadelphia Patriots series as other readers have mentioned. I just never caught onto the chemistry between Tony and Martha although I liked them both individually. Disappointing to have such little involvement from Maddie/Jake and Nate/Holly too since they're such fun characters!
Jenn Cunha
Not as good as Hardball and Fastball, but then again, I've always been more of a baseball girl. Martha, while refreshing in the first two, was annoying in this one and the fact that she couldn't explain herself to Tony was really ticking me off. The fact that we got to see some of her and Nate was great though.
Wendy Tosh Molloy
I have to say that I have never read a book that I was so bored with that I had to put it down after a couple of chapters to do something else to avoid it. I am honestly glad that after 2 weeks, I am done with this book... Thank god! It never takes me this long to read a book. Usually 2 days is my max.
Christin
I have to say that it took everything in me to finish this book, it was too drawn out, I actually skimmed pages waiting for more details about Tony and Martha but. I am disappointed as the first two books were great but this one let me down.
Keri
First too books were okay. The third didn't grab my attention and I couldn't finish it. I hate that I wasn't able to finish, maybe ill go back to this one later but it's been on my "currently reading" list without any progress for way too long. :-(
Carissa
Not a bad read, but definitely my least favorite of the series. I really didn't like how abruptly it ended. Also- I found Martha very annoying at different times because of how stubborn she was being.
Heatherobx
Wow, Tony has his hands full with Martha!!! Great story ~ loved Martha's strength and Tony's patience with her struggles! Enjoyed all three books in this series, the characters are great and believable.
Erin
Bor-ring! I had to gag this one down. Although I really like Tony Branch I expected way more depth in Martha Winstin. The story was average but left much to be desired. I was disappointed.
Kathleen
cute conclusion to the series - this is my least favorite of the three though. i wish it took place in philly like the rest, i would rather there be more of the old characters in this story.
Joanne
I just couldn't get into this book. For some odd reason, the story was off and didn't have a contemporary feel. I can't explain it, and I couldn't finish it .
Christine
Good book

The book started a little slow.But once it got moving I loved the character's and the story. Will read more from this author.
Jean Tallman
Like another reviewer, I thought this book was enjoyable, but not nearly as enjoyable as others in the series. I would like to go back to Philly!
Betsy Harmon
3.5 out of 5. . .this one just didn't have the pull of books one and two. I enjoyed the story of Martha and Tony, but felt it was way too drawn out.
Luanne
I had a hard time getting into this book because I'm not a big soccer fan. The book never really got me like the first 2 did.
Emily
the plot dragged on quite a bit... but it definitely wasn't the worst of the series as other reviews suggest
  • Inside Heat (Mustangs Baseball, #1)
  • Stealing Home (Diamonds and Dugouts, #1)
  • Down by Contact (Seattle Lumberjacks, #3)
  • Chasing Stanley (New York Blades, #5)
  • Snake in the Grass (Hearts and Arrows, #2)
  • Teamwork (Hot Ice, #4)
  • A Very Merry Hockey Holiday (Assassins, #6.5)
  • Collide (The Barker Triplets, #2)
  • Blessed Fate (Blessed Tragedy, #2)
  • Just for Now (Escape to New Zealand, #3)
  • Sweet Spot (Richmond Rogues, #5)
V.K. Sykes is really two people - Vanessa Kelly and Randy Sykes, a husband and wife team who write USA Today Bestselling contemporary romance. The second book in their Philadelphia Patriots Series of sports romances won the Kindle Book Review Best Indie Books of 2012 Contest, in the romance category. Vanessa also writes award-winning, Regency-set historical romance for Kensington Zebra under her o ...more
More about V.K. Sykes...

Philadelphia Patriots (5 books)
  • Fastball (Philadelphia Patriots, #1)
  • Hardball (Philadelphia Patriots, #2)
  • Curveball (Philadelphia Patriots, #4)
  • Payoff Pitch (Philadelphia Patriots, #5)
Hardball (Philadelphia Patriots, #2) Fastball (Philadelphia Patriots, #1) The Philadelphia Patriots 3 Book Box Set Curveball (Philadelphia Patriots, #4) Play Hard