Start by marking “Every Broken Trust” as Want to Read:
Every Broken Trust

Every Broken Trust (Skeet Bannion #2)

A party to celebrate the arrival of George "Mel" Melvin, a Kansas City politician accompanied by his troubled teenage daughter, wealthy wife, even wealthier backer, and mysterious employee, rapidly turns into disaster when Skeet's best friend, Karen Wise, stumbles on a body in Chouteau University's storage caves and is attacked herself. Skeet gets to Karen in time, but she ...more
Published May 7th 2013 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about Every Broken Trust, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Every Broken Trust

Lesa
May 06, 2013 Lesa rated it really liked it
Every promise that Linda Rodriguez' debut mystery, Every Last Secret, hinted at comes to fruition in the second book to feature Marquitta"Skeet" Bannion. Every Broken Trust is an outstanding mystery with wonderful characters, a complex plot, and a world thrown out of balance by murder. Readers of traditional mysteries should grab up these books. Skeet Bannion, Chief of Police at Chouteau University in Brewster, Missouri, deserves to be a star.

Skeet was a reluctant hostess at the party at her hou
Judy
Jun 04, 2013 Judy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
Skeet Banion is chief of the campus police at Chouteau University, having come there from the Kansas City Police Department where she had been a rising star in the homicide division. When one of her best friends, Karen, asks to have a welcome party for a former boss of her late husband at Skeet's house, Skeet reluctantly agrees. At the party a drunk former co-worker of Karen's late husband tells her that her husband did not die of an accidental fall as everyone thought, but was deliberately push ...more
Debra Goldstein
May 14, 2013 Debra Goldstein rated it it was amazing
Every Broken Trust is a very enjoyable read. Rodriguez uses language effectively to bring her characters and scenes to life. Her debut novel, Every Last Secret, which won the St. Martin's Award was very good, but this one is even better!
Kevintipple
Jun 15, 2013 Kevintipple rated it it was amazing
“’Just remember. No criminal has the power those with wealth and political clout have. The ultra criminals use politics to thrive unmolested.’” ( Page 231)

If chief of campus police Skeet Bannion liked politics she could have stayed with the Kansas City Police Department where she just might have been their first female police chief. Instead, she bailed out on the politics and more when she left for the calmer setting of nearby Chouteau University. At least that was the plan though things have no
catzkc
Aug 27, 2016 catzkc rated it it was ok
I really really wanted to like this book. She is a local KC author, and one of the local yarn stores which has a summer book club had selected this book for July. The author is to participate in the discussion and I was wanting to attend.

Unfortantely this is just not for me. I found it kind of difficult warm up to the main character, Skeet, or to get into the story. Maybe it would have helped if I had read the first book. After the first two or three chapters I knew I didn't care to finish it. I
Nell
Aug 22, 2014 Nell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lfpc, z2014
Part cozy, part police procedural this is a very good mystery. The MC is chief of police of a college in a small town, a former homicide detective from the nearby city. The victim, a retired prosecutor, is murdered after he reveals that a colleague's death years earlier was murder, not an accident. There are lots of suspects, guests at a party in the police chief's home, a surprising number of whom have licensed firearms.

I had two issues with this story: Sometimes it was confusing to figure out
Nancy
Nov 13, 2014 Nancy added it
Cindy
Jul 07, 2013 Cindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Linda Rodriguez' second Skeet Bannion novel accomplished what I had hoped. While I enjoyed the first novel, Every Broken Trust offers greater depth of plot, more satisfying development of the characters, and drew me even more intimately into the story. The city of Brewster grows, along with the characters, and fulfills its own role in the story which is satisfyingly full of plot twists, flawed individuals, and suspense. As a resident in the Kansas City metro, an alumna of a liberal arts college ...more
S Alonzo
Sep 08, 2013 S Alonzo rated it liked it
I would have liked to enjoy this book more than I did. I read this for a book club whose monthly selection was this book -- a mystery, crime and police investigation thriller. If you like solving mysteries and investigating crime, perhaps this is the book for you. This is not my typical choice in reading.

It had an over abundance of characters -- too many to give much depth. Plus a lot of referrals to a previous and unsolved crime which seemed to not have been investigated thoroughly. This added
Rosanna
Sep 09, 2013 Rosanna rated it it was ok
I like some light mysteries (Sue Grafton, Diane Mott Davidson, Janet Evanovich) so I had high hopes for this book. I was also curious to see how the issue of human trafficking would be addressed since it was part of the plot. Unfortunately I was greatly disappointed. There were so many characters that I was confused as to who was who, and the characters were barely developed. The issue of human trafficking was barely covered, and then it was all neatly wrapped up in the end.
I probably wouldn't h
Grey853
Nov 21, 2014 Grey853 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Pam
Nov 05, 2013 Pam rated it it was amazing
I really enjoy this author! This is her second book. She has a series going. It is set in the Kansas City area so that gives it a special twist. IN this book, she introduces Human Trafficking which is a serious issue in our world, our country and our community..but one that gets very little publicity or attention. I look forward to her next book where I suspect she will continue to develop that theme. Her format is similar in both books ....when I enjoy.....a good mystery writer!
Linda
Aug 04, 2013 Linda rated it liked it
This is the second of a new series and it's pretty good, though I preferred the first book to this one. Some things seemed a little to contrived, all the connections between people who live and work in two different, though geographically close, communities. Anyway, I enjoyed it and I hope she has a third in the works.
Terri
Dec 26, 2016 Terri rated it did not like it
Tried to keep reading. Got past page 75, and started skipping. Difficult to follow, cause I get too distracted by the choppy writing and disconnected things the protagonist says or does. Finally, I'm giving up.

Update Dec 2016 - Didn't remember reading this before. Read it all the way through. Keep most of my original review. The writing is just odd.
Kirsten
Jul 18, 2013 Kirsten rated it it was ok
Shelves: mysteries
I'm always looking for a new mystery series, but this didn't do it for me. It felt like the author (a competent writer) gathered all of the ingredients, with a dose of creativity for the detective and setting, but something was missing. The "lighter" mysteries don't always grab me. Elizabeth George and Louise Penny's next books can't come soon enough!
Patti
Jun 17, 2013 Patti rated it did not like it
This was a did-not-finish for me. I was very disappointed with a lot of the dumb moves so many of the main characters made. I was frustrated with all the anger throughout the book. And I didn't like the ending at all.
Debbie
May 04, 2014 Debbie rated it really liked it
This is the 2nd book in the series and I've grown to really like it. It's light, different and the classic mystery formula that is sometimes so comforting. I enjoy the characters and how they are evolving.
Diane Corradini
Jan 22, 2014 Diane Corradini rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, contemporary
I really enjoyed this book, not sure if I liked it as well as the first one in the series, Every Last Secret, but I will definitely continue the series when the next one comes out. I enjoy the setting and the characters - really an interesting mix of people.
Sandybear76
Jul 03, 2013 Sandybear76 rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
good characters. It took me a bit to really get into this book but it was due to vacation and worry about getting it back on time.
Charlene
Jul 02, 2013 Charlene rated it it was ok
I have read this series before and was disappointed--too much "this is what happen before" and too many story threads. Hope the next one is better
Andy Plonka
Jun 16, 2013 Andy Plonka rated it liked it
While the essence of the plot is acceptable, there are too many leaps of faith one must accept for the ending to be logical, and I guess I'm just not that gullible.
Jodi
Jodi rated it liked it
Apr 05, 2016
Virginia
Virginia rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2014
Sabine
Sabine rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2016
Rachel
Rachel rated it really liked it
Apr 13, 2014
Julie
Julie rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2013
Margret
Margret rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2013
Dorie
Dorie rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2014
Sarah Henning
Sarah Henning rated it it was amazing
Dec 22, 2015
Catherine
Catherine rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Linda Rodriguez’s novel, Every Last Secret featuring Skeet Bannion, won the 2011 St. Martin’s Press/Malice Domestic First Novel Competition and will be published by St. Martin’s Press/Minotaur Books on 4/24/2012. Rodriguez has published two books of poetry, Heart’s Migration (Tia Chucha Press, 2009), winner of the 2010 Thorpe Menn Award for Literary Excellence, and Skin Hunger (Potpourri Publicati ...more
More about Linda Rodriguez...

Skeet Bannion (3 books)