Start by marking “Back in the Fight: The Explosive Memoir of a Special Operator Who Never Gave Up” as Want to Read:
Back in the Fight: The Explosive Memoir of a Special Operator Who Never Gave Up

Back in the Fight: The Explosive Memoir of a Special Operator Who Never Gave Up

4.31  ·  Rating Details  ·  141 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
The inspiring and thrilling combat memoir of the only Army Ranger serving in direct combat operations with a prosthetic limb.

On October 3, 2005, Kapacziewski and his soldiers were coming to the end of their tour in Northern Iraq when their convoy was attacked by enemy fighters. A grenade fell through the gunner's hatch and exploded, shattering Kapacziewski's right leg belo
Published May 7th 2013 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Back in the Fight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Back in the Fight

Cheryl
Jun 07, 2014 Cheryl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Who doesn't love a good hero story. I know I do. What makes the hero even better is that he is a real person and not a fictional character in a book or movie. Plus, this hero is helping to fight for our country and freedom! This hero's name is Sergeant First Class Joseph Kapacziewski. He not only has dedicated his life to his country but he has lost a leg for it. Anytime that you think you have it bad or are feeling bad, you just need to think of the men and women fighting like Sergeant First Cl ...more
Branden
Jul 31, 2013 Branden rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
SFC Kap isn't the greatest author to pen a modern memoir of war (off the top of my head, David Bellavia and Sean Parnell are better "writers") but his story is damn inspiring. It's an absolutely incredible tale of one man's struggle through adversity.

As a former Batt Boy myself, a lot of the stuff in this book hit home. I used to know several people he mentions in this book, one of which I discovered (in this book) passed away in 2010.

As an aside, as of Spring 2013 SFC Kap is stil doing his thi
George
Apr 01, 2013 George rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I finished reading this incredible story, of not only one, but of many American Heroes! I am thankful for not only the opportunity but the honor of reading this Hero's story. I had to put the book down several times, due to the emotional state it put me in.
I feel every American should read this book! Certainly every soldier, that comes back wounded.
I hope I will have the honor to meet & shake the hand of this man, the soldier, this true American Hero, who had what it took, to get Back in t
Jimmy
May 25, 2015 Jimmy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is quite the autobiography of the only Army Ranger serving in direct combat operations with a prosthetic limb. The Army Rangers are a part of the United States Special Operation Forces which makes it no easy task for someone recovering from massive combat injuries and missing a leg. Sergeant First Class Kapacziewski tells this story because in his own words he wants to reach and encourage other wounded soldiers to continue forward and not give up. I think his story is worth reading even for ...more
Theresa Smith
Dec 04, 2014 Theresa Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Incredible. An honest, engaging account of a young man's life in the Special Forces. I am not usually inclined to read a book about war, but I am so glad I have read this one. Kap, and his wife Kim, tell their story in an absorbing and heartfelt way that has you championing for Kap even though your heart is breaking for Kim. This young man is truly a hero of the finest order and entirely deserving of any accolade he receives as such. In addition to the personal aspects of this book, his account ...more
Cjmueller
May 28, 2013 Cjmueller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Worth the read! Very inspiring!
Chris Green
Mar 12, 2014 Chris Green rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If ever I think I'm having a bad day, or I'm up against life's many hurdles. I think about the trials and tribulations by this warrior and the hard work and determination he's had to return to the battlefield as a special operations warrior. After loosing a leg, he fought to prove himself and has since deployed multiple times and trained special operators. Amazing book about his journey and the perspective from those around him as well.
Nicholas Robillard
Awesome non stop page turner, it will raise your heart rate. I had the privilege of meeting and spending a significant amount of time with Joe Kap. This book is great but even though written by him does no justice to the caliber of man/American he is. He beat me in an eating contest. This book saved me from having a rat thrown on me in a porter john, I'll keep it forever.
Eric
May 20, 2014 Eric rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Joe Kap is the epitomy of a true American hero. Most notable for me was the will and drive he exihibited to rejoin the Rangers after such adversity. This is definetly a trait I would want to instill in my children, the fact that you can do anything when you put your heart and soul into a task. I liked the narratives from his wife which added another dimension to the book.
Homer
Jun 19, 2014 Homer rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a good book, but I wish it focused more on his recovery. The first half to two-thirds was like any other Ranger or Special Forces bio. The story is still a good one, but it just took a while to get to the real meat of the book. I'd love to meet him! Sounds like an amazing person!
Twells
Mar 02, 2014 Twells rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gives a very personal view of the GWOT from the point of view of a SOF door-kicker. Some of his views are not what some would consider "politically correct", but given all he has (and continues to) sacrificed for our country he has earned the right to be as "insensitive" as he'd like.
Christine Mize
Feb 21, 2014 Christine Mize rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the most inspirational stories that I have ever read. What an amazing person - if he ever felt sorry for himself because of the injury, he never mentions it in the book. I love that you also get the perspective of his wife in his recovery.
Holli
I wanted to read this book since I first saw it and seeing someone who lost a leg actually was able to return to combat. I wanted to find out what happened to him and how he was able to accomplish this. The book is fascinating, though it does take quite a bit of the book to learn how he became so wounded and got back to the war. His attitude regarding women in the military, however, is rather outdated and insulting. I couldn't give this book a 5-star rating because this quite irritated me. Attit ...more
James
Feb 11, 2015 James rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an excellent book! VERY well written and amazing to read the painful, but determined journey of this wonderful example of a US Ranger/American Soldier! Just wish I could meet him to say "Thank you!"
Highly recommended!
Kim
Jul 06, 2014 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good book. The one thing I didn't really like about it was there seemed to be a lot more military jargon than what seemed necessary for the average layperson. Other than that though a great read
Barry
Sep 16, 2014 Barry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book on overcoming obstacles life throws at you.
P.e. lolo
Aug 20, 2013 P.e. lolo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is about a true warrior. Who did ten tours and made it back into the Rangers with an artificial leg. For me I would have been good with that and stayed home with my family. But he chose to make it back to active duty and back with his unit. I did like that they included his wife thought's through out the book. I am also glad that he stayed home to be a husband and father. He is a true Hero and I thank him for his service. A good book with a story and straight forward.
William Clemence
Sep 17, 2013 William Clemence rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good book for the subject matter. Although my service in the regular army was in the sixties, most of the slang and esoteric words reminded me of the experience.
This book shows the unique qualities of the individuals that are needed in the military of today and why the military wants only committed volunteers. Ironically, because there is no draft our population has little skin in the game. Therefore, no general pressure to end the wars.
Carol
Aug 31, 2013 Carol rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very inspiring story of one of our American Heroes! An Army Ranger injured on his fifth deployment. Ends up having his leg amputated, and has since been deployed FIVE more times! And kudos to his wife for standing by his side the whole time!

I do have to admit though that there were moments this book gave me great anxiety. Being a mom of a US Army Infantry soldier it gave me anxiety thinking this could happen to my son.

Darcy
I really liked this one, I liked that Joe didn't give up. I think that if someone still wants to do a dangerous job (most of us don't want) and they can still perform to standards why not let them. Joe gives hope to those that still want to do their job. I also really liked his wife's perspective with what was happening.
Dawn
Sep 28, 2013 Dawn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys military books.
Recommended to Dawn by: My Mom.
A fascinating read. Sgt. Kap is in the same Ranger batallion (75th) that my brother was in. Learned some interesting facts about the Army, Airborne Rangers, The War on Terror & Iraq. Kap's dedication to the Army and his perseverance to overcome his amputation & return to his Ranger batallion, was very inspiring.
Forrest Wenzel
May 26, 2013 Forrest Wenzel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A truly inspiring story of an American badass who shows you can achieve anything that you set your mind to and work hard to achieve! Kap can and has done more with one man made leg then most mortal men achieve with the two god gave them. Good on you Kap you are a true American!
Mary Reed
Jul 06, 2013 Mary Reed rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. My son was/is an Airborne Ranger. He served for 20 years in the Army. I knew some of the things Kap mentions in the book, but a lot of it was new to me. Kap is a brave man and a wonderful Ranger.
Jeffrey
Oct 14, 2013 Jeffrey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you want to be challenged, read this book. If you don't get up and work harder at every aspect of your life... Your wrong.
Mark Perkins
Sep 30, 2013 Mark Perkins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book. This young man is a real hero. His dedication to the Rangers, and this country is a real testament to his courage.
Nikos
Jun 06, 2013 Nikos rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
great book, hard to feel sorry for yourself after reading it.
Clint
Oct 02, 2013 Clint rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was inspired to "carry more than my fair share!"
Frank
Nov 11, 2013 Frank rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An amazing story of heart and determination
Christy
Sep 01, 2014 Christy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A childhood friend of mine recommended that I read a book about her nephew.I am part of a Veteran's Writing Group at the library where I work, and she thought the guys might want to read "Back in the Fight." I am very glad she recommended Joe Kap's story. (although I do know how to say Kapacziewsk properly!)His determination to become an Army Ranger never wavered and after suffering terrible injuries, he continued his determination to heal and to return to combat. "Almost a year and half after h ...more
Jesse Ochoa
Dec 05, 2013 Jesse Ochoa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
RLTW
  • War from the Ground Up: Twenty-First Century Combat as Politics. Emile Simpson
  • Gentlemen Bastards: On the Ground in Afghanistan with America's Elite Special Forces
  • The Savior Generals: How Five Great Commanders Saved Wars That Were Lost - From Ancient Greece to Iraq
  • Revolt in the Desert
  • It IS About Islam: Exposing the Truth About ISIS, Al Qaeda, Iran, and the Caliphate
  • Hell Above Earth: The Incredible True Story of an American WWII Bomber Commander and the Copilot Ordered to Kill Him
  • The American Heritage Picture History of the Civil War
  • Dear Mom: A Sniper's Vietnam
  • The Operators: The Wild and Terrifying Inside Story of America's War in Afghanistan
  • Rommel: The Desert Fox
  • Wieże z kamienia
  • General George Washington: A Military Life
  • Beyond the Call: The True Story of One World War II Pilot's Covert Mission to Rescue POWs on the Eastern Front
  • The Bear Went Over the Mountain: Soviet Combat Tactics in Afghanistan
  • The Hunter Killers: The Extraordinary Story of the First Wild Weasels, the Band of Maverick Aviators Who Flew the Most Dangerous Missions of the Vietnam War
  • Killing Custer: The Battle of Little Big Horn and the Fate of the Plains Indians
  • Shifty's War: The Authorized Biography of Sergeant Darrell "Shifty" Powers, the Legendary Sharpshooter from the Band of Brothers
  • Great Speeches / Abraham Lincoln: with Historical Notes by John Grafton