Start by marking “Never Buried (Leigh Koslow Mystery #1)” as Want to Read:
Never Buried (Leigh Koslow Mystery #1)

Never Buried (Leigh Koslow Mystery #1)

3.55  ·  Rating Details ·  4,157 Ratings  ·  379 Reviews
A young advertising executive finds her life in turmoil--she just lost her job, she may or may not have a boyfriend, and she's trying to help her cousin through a pregnancy. If that weren't enough, she wakes up to find a strange man lying in her backyard hammock. The fact that he is dead, and apparently has been embalmed for years, doesn't exactly help. With lots of time o ...more
Published April 1st 1999 by Signet

To ask other readers questions about Never Buried, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Never Buried

Krithika Rangarajan
Aug 03, 2012 Krithika Rangarajan rated it really liked it
I love cozy mysteries. My perfect idea of a 'rainy day read' is a small-town mystery with an intelligent, humorous and loving amateur sleuth, preferably female.

I stumbled upon Never Buried by Edie Claire while looking for an entertaining book that was available online for free. The reviews on goodreads.com seemed positive, and I decided to give this a shot.

I was certainly not disappointed. The story is simple, if slightly bizarre. Leigh Koslow, a talented copywriter, lives with her cousin Cara
Joanne
Oct 21, 2012 Joanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first in a series by Edie Clare, and like many other people I downloaded it because it was free. I’ve now read four more in the series, and they just keep on getting better! In Leigh Koslow, Clare has created a character with enough flaws to sustain a series, but enough great qualities to make the reader love and root for her.

This is my kind of novel – mystery, suspense, intrigue, but not gory or gratuitous. Brilliantly written too. The only thing I didn’t like was the sudden switch
David Ketelsen
Feb 04, 2012 David Ketelsen rated it liked it
I'd like to give this book 4-stars because I enjoyed the author's writing style and characters quite a bit. However the ending was so stupid I had to subtract a star for subjecting me to such a ridiculous ending. Did she write herself into a corner or did she start off writing the book with such a silly idea for a villain? I just don't know. In any case the book is well worth reading for the journey even if the ending might bother some. From what I've seen, many people don't notice when things d ...more
Jonathan
A light, entertaining read with a well-crafted mystery! My only complaint was my intense dislike for Gil, who annoyed me. Besides him, this book was wonderful.
Helen
Oct 10, 2013 Helen rated it really liked it
The author says on her website that she intends only to entertain so there are no great passages of description or analyses of human nature. Fine, I'll accept that, but this, the first of MS Claire's books has much to say about child and wife abuse, about Alzheimers, and even about the need to keep plastic away from your dog. The story is light hearted in the main, or as light hearted as you can be when your characters have found an embalmed body in the back yard, a body, what is more, with a th ...more
Becky
Feb 19, 2012 Becky rated it liked it
Another freebie from Amazon on the Kindle. The story sadly feel flat to me. It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't gripping as other mysteries/thrillers. Maybe it's supposed to be one of those "cozy mysteries"?

The story is about Leigh who just was let go from her job and is living with her cousin whose about to give birth. She finds a corpse in the backyard which starts the "mystery" in the book.

The author put in a lot of annoying details that I thought could have been left out and could have used th
Marguerite Kaye
Dec 24, 2014 Marguerite Kaye rated it liked it
This was a Kindle freebie, the first in a series of 'cozy mysteries'. I'd read another of Edie Claire's books before, and enjoyed it, and the same goes for this one. Yes, it's in the mould of Stephanie Plum in that there's an offbeat heroine with various 'cookie' family members, but you know, I like that sort of thing. It's an easy read, it's well-written, it doesn't take up too much brain power, so perfect for me at the end of the day when I'm tired and don't want to concentrate too hard. I'm p ...more
Carolyn Injoy
I received a free kindle copy of Never Buried: A Leigh Koslow Mystery by Edie Claire published by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform in exchange for fair review. I gave it five stars. It had enough twists & turns to hold my interest & is a very fast read.

Edie Claire is the author of the Leigh Koslow Mystery Series. This is the only one I have read but I'll look for more.

There is plenty of mystery involved in the telling of this story. Leigh & her cat Mao-Tse are staying wit
Cheryl Landmark
May 03, 2013 Cheryl Landmark rated it really liked it
I love cozy mysteries and have ventured into several different series. "Murder, She Wrote" remains my number one favourite, but this first book in the series by Ms. Claire was pretty darn good, too.

The characters were all quite likeable, well-developed and relateable, and I enjoyed the author's writing style. Leigh Koslow, the main character, was intelligent, feisty, and inquisitive, although a bit weak at times. Cara, her very pregnant cousin, was a more eager sleuth than Leigh. The relationshi
Rosa.cruz7
Sep 12, 2013 Rosa.cruz7 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
wow!!

You know you're reading a really good mystery story when you think you've got it all figured out - sort of - mid book, only to be spun around at the end.

Let's face it, I did get a few things right. I was right about my suspicion that the double murders were in fact a triple murder. yay...! and my murder victimes were those I thought, but my time frame turned out to be way wrong... as was the identity of all the murderers - except for the first murder...

I couln't help liking the characters (
Donna
Feb 18, 2016 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this little mystery. Leigh is staying with her pregnant cousin Cara while her husband is away. Then she finds a body with a warning. The two race against time to find what happened to the previous family that lived there.

This mystery will make you think that you know what is happening and then twist it all around. You will be left guessing all the way to the end.
Cathi
Dec 21, 2012 Cathi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The thing I liked best about this book was how short it was. There was nothing extra that we didn't really need to know. No descriptions of flowers or people that weren't involved in the story. Also, no romance. The mystery was very interesting and involved over 50 years of history, I love that. Great ending too, I didn't see it coming.
Julie Powell
Apr 17, 2015 Julie Powell rated it it was amazing
A well written and enjoyable mystery novel with a great protagonist and enough twists, turns and surprises to keep the reader hooked until the end.

This is the second novel I've read by this author and I would recommend her highly entertaining stories.
✿Claire✿ (Tiny Owl)
Despite the slightly inauspicious start (the cat throwing up) I really enjoyed this tale and couldn't wait to find out who was behind everything that happened. Seemingly unconnected events were woven together really well.
Kimberly
Mar 03, 2012 Kimberly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cosy-mystery
I love that this book was totally clean. No sex and no bad language. I wish more authors were as secure. I really enjoyed Edie Claire's style. The story was well developed and the clues were fun to follow. The ending was not a comete give away. I enjoyed the ride. I will definately read more.
Deb
Sep 21, 2012 Deb rated it it was ok
It was an OK book. I thought the main character, Leigh Koslow, acted extremely stupidly upon occasion. I can understand Ms. Claire's trying to display Leigh's headstrong & impulsive qualities. However, one notable instance defied logic and common sense.
Louise
Feb 07, 2013 Louise rated it it was ok
Cheap and cheerful kindle purchase.
Amusing enough main character, enough going on with the others not to be too frustrated at some of the sillier storylines.
Didn't seem ridiculously out dated either unlike some other books I've read with no modern technology.
Dominique
Jan 29, 2012 Dominique rated it it was ok
A bit of a snooze, actually. I remember reading it and then thinking that I was not going to remember enough about it to write anything. I wasn't wrong about that.
Jan Ashley
May 18, 2013 Jan Ashley rated it really liked it
Shelves: murder-mystery
Brilliant,thoroughly enjoyed this. A great who dunnit that kept me guessing until the end. Easy relaxing reading. Not too taxing on the brain cells but enjoyable none the less!
Sherry Wolfe
Mar 26, 2014 Sherry Wolfe rated it it was amazing
awesome books!! one of the few mysteries that I didn't solve it before the end.
Chloe
Jan 15, 2017 Chloe rated it liked it
Shelves: on-my-kindle
Cute who-done-it. Great for a free book!
Joanne
Oct 26, 2016 Joanne rated it really liked it
Cute, simple, quick. I'd read another.
Jeanette Hammond
Cute mystery

So, how do handle a dead guy in your hammock? And he's been dead for 50 years. Why, you try to find out who he is, how he got there and why? Read Leigh and Cara's adventure into this fun mystery and enjoy!
Shirley Worley
Leigh is looking after her pregnant cousin while said cousin's hubby is out of the country. Should be easy, right? After a corpse shows up in the backyard with a cryptic message to get out of the house, matters get dicey. Continued threats push Leigh and Cara to do a little digging of their own into the house's troubled past.

There were a few twists I didn't expect in the plot, which is always a good thing. Enjoyed the characters and the pace of the story. The ending was a surprise. Liked the way
Helen
Oct 06, 2016 Helen rated it really liked it
The only thing I don't like about Leigh Koslow, the protagonist in this series, is her occupation. Why does a feisty, caring woman choose to be an advertising copywriter?
This series has most of the components I enjoy in a mystery; interesting settings, intelligent characters and animals, with a touch of romance.
In this book there is quite a bit of suspense after an embalmed corpse turns up on her doorstep. A good beginning to a series I read several of a few years ago.
R.M.
Sep 14, 2013 R.M. rated it liked it
This my first time reading something in the cozy mystery genre, so I came into this with a fresh, open mind.

The story follows the heroine, Leigh Koslow, a twenty-something freelancer working for an advertising agency, who moves in to an old Victorian house to take care of her cousin, Cara, who is pregnant. Within the first chapter of the book, the plot is presented -- Leigh finds a corpse, and she and her cousin work together to find answers.

The story gets a bit convoluted as various suspects ar
A.M.
May 12, 2015 A.M. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own, e-books
Leigh has moved in with her pregnant cousin Cara while Cara’s husband is away on business. She’s having braxton hicks and someone has to stay with her.
On the first night she is there, she gets disturbed in the middle of the night and in trying to find light switches, turns on the outdoor lights and sees a figure in the yard. In the morning, when she goes to check it out there is a body in the hammock.
They call their friend Maura, the policewoman who tells them the body isn’t a recent victim; its
adlin
This mystery starts out with Leigh Koslow finding an embalmed body in the hammock in her cousin Cara’s yard. It's not a recently deceased person. This find is followed by several other unsavory events that basically lead to warnings for the girls to get out of the house.

Leigh is staying with her cousin, who is pregnant, while her husband is overseas. While it starts out with somewhat of a bang, it doesn’t carry through. Leigh comes across as a bit wimpier than her cousin, who she’s constantly t
Chelsea
Apr 06, 2016 Chelsea rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3-stars, 2016

I got this as a free ebook, so I'm actually surprised by how good it was. It was well-written with interesting and engaging characters. I absolutely loved Leigh, and her relationships with Cara and Maura were great and a pleasure to read. I was interested in the mystery, although I found it pretty predictable (@ people saying the ending came out of nowhere were we reading the same book??). I wish the mystery had followed kind of a different path just because I knew exactly where it was
Wendy Lohr
My Thoughts:

I really enjoy cozy mysteries! They’re light-hearted while dealing with the rather sombering subject of murder. There’s humor and quirkiness amongst the characters, the plots aren’t necessarily deep or twisting, and I just always feel good at the end of a cozy mystery.

Never Buried delivered on those classic traits I look for and I really did enjoy the story. It wasn’t the most fantastic read ever, but it wasn’t lacking, either. I think Leigh Koslow could have come off a little strong
Madison Mega-Mara...: Never Buried 1 2 Nov 11, 2012 06:41PM
  • Killer Twist (Ghostwriter Mystery #1)
  • One Deadly Sister (Sandy Reid Mysteries, #1)
  • Loose Screw (Dusty Deals Mystery #1)
  • Murder on the Mind (Jeff Resnick Mystery, #1)
  • Cooking the Books (Sloane Templeton Mysteries #1)
  • For Love of Livvy (Esposito Mysteries, #1)
  • Murder Over Easy
  • Hope Road
  • The Shortcut
  • Ghost a la Mode (A Ghost of Granny Apples Mystery, #1)
  • May Day (Murder-by-Month Mystery, #1)
  • Legwork
  • Ms America and the Offing on Oahu (Beauty Queen Mystery, #1)
  • Take the Monkeys and Run (Barbara Marr Murder Mystery, #1)
  • Diagnosis Death (Prescription for Trouble, #3)
  • One O'Clock Jump: A Dorie Lennox Mystery
  • Invisible (Ivy Malone Mysteries, #1)
  • Dance of the Winnebagos (Jackrabbit Junction, #1)
20981
No matter the genre, USA-Today bestselling novelist and playwright Edie Claire strives to infuse all her writing with both warmth and humor. Her family-friendly Leigh Koslow cozy mystery series, a favorite of animal lovers that was originally published in 1999, was reborn in 2012 to become a Kindle Top-10 bestseller. Her romantic novels range from women’s fiction with romantic elements to a blend ...more
More about Edie Claire...

Leigh Koslow Mystery (9 books)
  • Never Sorry (Leigh Koslow Mystery #2)
  • Never Preach Past Noon (Leigh Koslow Mystery #3)
  • Never Kissed Goodnight (Leigh Koslow Mystery #4)
  • Never Tease a Siamese (Leigh Koslow Mystery #5)
  • Never Con a Corgi (Leigh Koslow Mystery #6)
  • Never Haunt A Historian (Leigh Koslow Mystery #7)
  • Never Thwart a Thespian (Leigh Koslow Mystery #8)
  • Never Steal a Cockatiel (Leigh Koslow Mystery #9)

“Oddly, Leigh couldn’t think of anything to say. How exactly should one respond to a threat spelled out in fish?” 1 likes
“Cara” 0 likes