Start by marking “Popular Lies About Graphic Design” as Want to Read:
Popular Lies About Graphic Design

Popular Lies About Graphic Design

Multi award-winning designer, typographer and TED speaker, Craig Ward, presents his first self-authored book - Popular Lies About Graphic Design. An attempt to debunk the various misconceptions, half truths and, in some cases, outright lies which permeate the industry of design.

Lovingly designed and written both passionately and irreverently, Ward pulls from his ten years
Published January 21st 2013 by Actar (first published December 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Popular Lies About Graphic Design, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Popular Lies About Graphic Design

Madeline Partner
Jan 10, 2017 Madeline Partner rated it it was ok
This book annoyed me so much!!

I thought it might be somewhat helpful, and teach me something about my major, but it just went over the same lessons I've heard over and over from professors and advisors. Ward makes a simple point, and then goes on and on about it, basically saying the same thing 5 times over.

Besides the not-stellar writing, the design actually bothered me, which I was surprised about considering this is a book about graphic design... There is a very odd mix of page designs, makin
Stijn
Jan 23, 2013 Stijn rated it liked it
Shelves: it
An OK read imo. Too bad the quality of the opinions aren't consistent. Some opinions are too obvious to be really interesting, while other aren't discussed thoroughly enough.

Major downside is the layout of the book. Quite a few opinion titles are totally unreadable, which is quite contradictory for a book about graphic design. Especially because the author explicitly discusses how GD can/should be about making messages more readable to people, and that you shouldn't just 'break the rules' unless
Melissa Frost
Sep 08, 2015 Melissa Frost rated it it was ok
Shelves: design
I had a hard time believing what the designer was saying when I disliked the design of the book so much. First, the cover literally fell off the book (cmon Actar?) Every new topic / title page, i found myself going "wow, thats hideous / unreadable / totally corny" - and then yes, person who made that totally hideous / unreadable / totally corny thing, tell me your opinions on design ...? Useless. I read it just to get through it, but couldnt believe a word he said after making such an ugly borin ...more
Vuk Trifkovic
Too small, too flimsy. A few nuggets for a 1st year design student but nothing more than that.
Justin
Feb 23, 2013 Justin rated it it was amazing
This book is filled with many wise observations, many of which I agree with and a few not so much. My favorite section of the book explores the lie that PRINT IS DEAD, with this argument being the most sound: "You don't — and can't — fondly leaf through e-books in the same way you would a printed book just for the sake of it — they don't enable you to engage with information in the same, freeform way – and, conversely, if you drop a book, it doesn't lose all its contents or need backing up anywh ...more
Blake
Jan 24, 2014 Blake rated it liked it
Pretty decient read if you alrady have a pretty good knowledge base of graphic design to begin with. There's not a lot that's new here as one might expect, given the fact the book is about popular misconceptions about graphic design. Most of the topics are ones that most designers would have stumbled across at one point or another.

This being said it was a fairly interesting read that was specifically from the writers point of view. The layout made the reading that much more enjoyable which I wo
Celia Tam
Sep 30, 2015 Celia Tam rated it really liked it
A good book about graphic design, It told me thirty-five phenomenon the industry often happens, let me knew the case of graphic design works. And the book design was very interesting, in the middle part of the book with a fluorescent orange to made the book design, it's very attracted to me, while the lies about graphic design and image performance together, it's so the article was very interesting.

It’s a great way to remind you why you’re doing what you’re doing if you’re not in your dream desi
Kat Reyes
May 22, 2014 Kat Reyes rated it it was amazing
Great read. Very straight forward and insightful opinions of things taught and accepted throughout the design industry. Designed very thoughtfully as well where the end of the book ends on the Print is Dead- lie chapter. Found Ward to be very clever, encouraging and truthful from personal and professional experiences. I would definitely recommend this to any designer/student at any point in their career.
Marco
Mar 21, 2014 Marco rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very quick but interesting read! I was delighted to realize I don't agree with all that is said in this book, because I think that was the point in the first place. I think the value of this book is the fact that you have to consider all the premises (or lies) in the book and, as a designer, have (or formulate on the spot) your own opinion on each of them. I always embrace debate about design and I think this book offers plenty of views on aspects of design to debate about.
Jeff Wyonch
Jun 17, 2013 Jeff Wyonch rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: design
A very good book on design, by an author that has strong opinions but a very quiet, simple style. He discusses many of the sacred cows of graphic design and presents a balanced view. This is all theory, with little technical discussion, and is all the better for it. Highly recommended.
Stefanie
May 24, 2013 Stefanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A really fun refresher. It was laid out in similarity to rambling with a colleague over coffee. I would recommend this for designers that have the blues, or anyone curious about a career in Graphic Design.
Brandon
Oct 21, 2013 Brandon rated it it was amazing
My favorite thing about this book is how the author makes some very bold remarks about the profession without professing that any of his claims are absolute truth. He is able to humbly give some great advice without compromising his arguments.
Julie
Apr 26, 2013 Julie rated it really liked it
One of those books you can read very quickly but has lots of thinking points so it's good to read more than once or to skip around.
Gary
Sep 15, 2016 Gary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick little design pick-me-up. I enjoyed a few ideas here and there but overall I was a little underwhelmed. Worth a quick look, but nothing groundbreaking.
Ivan
Nov 16, 2015 Ivan rated it did not like it
Wasted time, unless you are a newbie in the industry.
Patrick Brendan
Patrick Brendan rated it liked it
Jun 22, 2014
Roberto
Roberto rated it liked it
Feb 22, 2016
Erin Culver
Erin Culver rated it it was amazing
Mar 08, 2013
Gigg
Gigg rated it liked it
Oct 20, 2015
christina voudouris
christina voudouris rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2014
Chris Pecora
Chris Pecora rated it it was amazing
Dec 17, 2013
Carolin
Carolin rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2016
Chloe Mckinley
Chloe Mckinley rated it really liked it
Aug 11, 2015
Melody
Melody rated it it was amazing
Mar 04, 2014
Ursa
Ursa rated it liked it
Jan 25, 2013
Sammi Cartwright
Sammi Cartwright rated it really liked it
Sep 06, 2016
Eric Kwan Tai Lau
Eric Kwan Tai Lau rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2015
Ivy Christine
Ivy Christine rated it it was amazing
May 21, 2014
Sara
Sara rated it it was amazing
Mar 06, 2014
Spencer Hamm
Spencer Hamm rated it it was amazing
Nov 02, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Graphic Design: A User's Manual
  • The Elements of Graphic Design: Space, Unity, Page Architecture, and Type
  • Paul Rand: A Designer's Art
  • Paul Rand
  • A Designer's Research Manual: Succeed in Design by Knowing Your Clients and What They Really Need
  • Typography Workbook: A Real-World Guide to Using Type in Graphic Design
  • How to Think Like a Great Graphic Designer
  • Above the Fold: Understanding the Principles of Successful Web Site Design
  • Grid Systems in Graphic Design/Raster Systeme Fur Die Visuele Gestaltung (German and English Edition)
  • Understanding Context: Environment, Language, and Information Architecture
  • No More Rules: Graphic Design and Postmodernism
  • Tapworthy: Designing Great iPhone Apps
  • The Graphic Design Exercise Book
  • Service Design: From Insight to Implementation
  • Visual Grammar
  • Designing Brand Identity: An Essential Guide for the Entire Branding Team
  • Designing with the Mind in Mind: Simple Guide to Understanding User Interface Design Rules
  • 101 Things to Learn in Art School

“Former design studios that now do nothing more than curate their blogs showing other people's work and sell ad space to make a living. It all feels very strange to me.” 2 likes