4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  33 ratings  ·  23 reviews

A sexy dystopian novel, The Glistening Haven is set in the future where society's attempt for beauty and perfection nearly destroyed it. Murder, sex, duplicity and drama, join us in the world of New Haven 56.

Susan Monroe doesn't ask for much: good grades from her children, a house with room for a pool, to be the best Tupperware party...more
Mass Market Paperback, 1st, 410 pages
Published November 20th 2012 by Createspace

To ask other readers questions about Glistening Haven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Glistening Haven

Fighting Destiny by Amelia HutchinsThe Chosen Chronicles by Christine JamesCoast to Coast Paranormal Investigation by Carolyn  BennettCovet by Terri Herman-PoncéRelics by Maer Wilson
Paranormal Books to read in 2013
193rd out of 420 books — 722 voters
Angelfall by Susan EeThese Broken Stars by Amie KaufmanWither by Lauren DeStefanoCinder by Marissa MeyerEverneath by Brodi Ashton
Books With Good Covers
135th out of 211 books — 67 voters

More lists with this book...

Lisa Markson
I received a copy of Glistening Haven by Jill Cooper in exchange for an unbiased and honest review.
I loved how the author built her characters in the story it brought them into a 3 dimensional characteristic. There were many different twists and turns in this story and you were unable to place the book down wanting to see what was going to happen next. Jenna's job is basically like a bounty hunter in my opinion she is taking the Glistenings that are a danger to humans to a town of Haven where th...more
Bonnie Paulson
Holy Metro Batman!

I don't know who or where to start!!!

Okay, Jenna is crazy cool and chases after Glistenings - who by the way are freaky and yet so normal. I kind of want to be one - does that make me wierd? Jenna's story has more twists than a cinnamon churro.

Then there's Wendy. Poor kid just wants to love who she wants to love. I have a love/hate relationship with Romeo and Juliet situations - hate that they happen, but love to watch them play out.

Megan and Susan - both have a jacked up s...more
Marni
Glistening Haven…it hasn’t been a half hour since I finished this book so, as you can imagine, I’m still wrapped up in its world. It’s a world where Leave It To Beaver meets Dragonslayer. Yep, you read that right. And oh what a world Jill Cooper has weaved!

Pencil skirts, desserts at the ready, “swell” and all that 50s stuff are covering the underlying life of the glistening. Our world, with all its glamour and wants of beauty, has been changed due to the chemicals in the products that reacted wi...more
Michelle's Paranormal Vault of Books

I was pleasantly surprised by this book. I had forgotten what it was about when I started it, I had read the blurb back when I signed up for the tour, and knew I wanted to read it, and that’s all I remembered. Well, its turned out to be an excellent book. It is dystopian but with a thriller and a bit of paranormal vibe to it. It’s a great mix, with great suspense. I really was sucked into this strange world that Jill Cooper created.

I won’t get into too many details, will keep this spoiler free f...more
Sara
TO READ THE WHOLE REVIEW VISIT MY BLOG: http://sarainbooklandblog.blogspot.it...

Glistening Haven has officially become one of my favourite book of this month, until now! I totally wasn't expecting it to be so amazing! Let's start with saying that at the beginning I was a bit confused by the story, because it is certainly a very twisted book but.. you know how much I love twists! Until the end the book literally kept me with bated breath and I just couldn't relax because everytime I did, somethin...more
Merisha28
I received this book in exchange for a honest review.
Glistening Haven by Jill Cooper
This is the first book I have read by this author. This was an interesting book to say the least. We have humans vs Glistening (monster), but who is really the monster in this story and the miss treated. This book had so many twists and turns, I thought that I had figured out who was behind it and they wound up dead!!! Did not expect a lot of the turns in this story and especially the ending. You are left wonderi...more
Christina  Torretta
4 1/2 out of 5

Ok, so with that synopsis I was thinking, Hell yeah! Dystopian!!! Once I started reading, I started noticing, wait, this is more than just your average Dystopian. There is stuff in here that is really odd, but wonderfully so.

The plot is really interesting! I love how Jill Cooper was able to take something, as every day as botox and apply it in such a horrific way to our future. It’s not just botox, it’s all the bodily changes added together and then you have a subspecies of human!...more
Jane
Glistening Haven : A Dystopian Thriller by Jill Cooper

3.5 Stars

They are a danger to humans but want to be human so hide themselves amongst us. Jenna an agent whose job it is to round them up and place them in one of the ‘Haven’s’. The Havens are towns set up to make ‘Glistenings’ feel they are free to live the human lives they desperately seek, and a place to keep their monsters under control.

This was an unusual story and had some quite touching moments. I could totally feel for both The Glisten...more
S.M. Blooding
This is a fast paced read! I just have to say, you need to pay attention. Ms. Cooper spins a fantastic, original story in the dystopian genre.

There’s a lot of great things going on in this book. Plot, pacing, characters, voice. There isn’t a lot of backstory to slow the pace down.

It did take me a little bit to catch on, which I think is the reason I liked it so much! This isn’t a cookie cutter book. It’s a little like an onion. As you peel it back, more things just pop out at you. I’ve read this...more
Michael Cooper
When I started reading this book all I could think was that I wanted Jill to just finish the Meadow's Creek series (I'm waiting on book 6!).

But holy smokes! This book is amazing! It really sucked me in and I stayed up until 4AM finishing it one night.

If you're tired of the current crop of post-apocalyptic stories and want something with some new blood in it (perhaps literally) then this book is for you!
Shy The WidowMaker
Review to post next month for blog tour stop.
Katrina Tinnon
I can't imagine living my life in a bubble. The residents of New Haven 56 do exactly that. They live a lifestyle straight out of Leave it to Beaver.

These bubbles, or districts of New Haven, are made to keep the monsters away from the Human populace. The Glistenings are forced to wear bands to control them. If they step out of line they are reconditioned to behave properly. When I say properly, I mean the way the government thinks they should act.

I hate the way the Glistenings are forced into the...more
Corina
Glistening Haven

When I first decided to read Glistening Haven by Jill Cooper I picked it because the cover intrigued me. There was something about it that sparked interest inside of me and the description only made me want to read it more. But when I finally picked up the book to read it, it was nothing like what I thought it would be, instead it was a dozen times better!

I have read a lot of Dystopian novels over the past few months, thought I’d brush up on what to do after the world ended. Damn...more
JennRenee
I was super excited to read this book. First the cover... Gorgeous... second... the synopsis... amazing... and last... well there is none, I just knew the book had to be amazing, and it was! A non stop ride from the beginning to end, just when you think you know what's going on, you don't. Romance, suspense, action, thrills, its all here. There better be more because I want more.

Long Story Short

We are in the future, there is a town, a 1950's-ish town. Full of nice families, orderly conduct, and...more
Beth Cutwright
What a different world Glistening Haven was! There were humans and glistenings living together in a controlled world of domes referred to as Havens. Our story begins in Haven 56. After the world survived the great beauty years, (our time), things went amok and the glistenings ate the celebrities of Hollywood. Once they were rounded up, had their wings clipped and their minds reconditioned, they were placed in the domed havens to live out productive lives if not predictable lives. Life for the Gl...more
Amber
Glistening Haven is quite different from a lot of Dystopians currently making the rounds. Glistenings are monsters. Monsters that want to be humans, can seem human and are living among us. Havens are places that keep the Glistenings contained while letting them live as humans.

Glistening Haven is a great story that shows just what can happen when people are afraid of the unknown. We do horrible things in the name of fear and this story that truth is no different. The Glistenings are treated horr...more
Simone
I received a free copy of this novel in exchange for my honest review. Susan Monroe has a perfect family and a perfect life. She has two kids and a loving husband. What she doesn’t realize is her content life isn’t quite realistic. Her family is given monthly rations; their supposed happy life has been due to reconditioning. Travis Reynolds, the Chief of Police in New Haven 56, is human. He’s aware that this 50s community he, his wife and daughter live in isn’t realistic. But he makes it is duty...more
Craftymom Jen
I forgot how much I liked dystopian books. Glistening Haven started out with a bang, took off running and never stopped until the end. It begins with a Star Trek- like sequence….bright lights, questions with no right answers and torture.

Fast forward a few days and you are introduced to a small community with a horrific secret. They live in a 1950′s style suburb with a twist. It a beautifully created prison. The sky is really a bubble and the cops are armed with Marshall law type way of thinking....more
Susanne Leist
I always enjoy a good mystery, and this book is a great paranormal mystery. The plot is well thought out, with all the pieces falling into place at the end.
I don't usually read books about the future but this one held my attention. It involves conspiracy theories. It also delves into the prejudices of people against others that are different than themselves.
There is also a nice love story between Wendy and Jake, and the difficulties that they have to overcome.
I also like the surprise ending.
Carrie
I enjoyed this story and was able to connect to both the main characters and the secondary characters. Instead of telling the complete background for the story, the author dropped crumbs throughout the plot. It worked because I couldn't stop reading! She really did a good job and it all came together in the end. I especially liked the twists and turns she added and I was surprised by more than one twist. If she writes a sequel I would definitely buy it.
Kris
Jan 27, 2014 Kris rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
review coming soon
Chelsea
story was good but I was so distracted by all the errors in the book. was it not edited before it was published? I mean "twemty" instead of twenty was a simple spell check issue. patients instead of patience and noting instead of nothing. sentences that were just missing words and lack of punctuation. it was enough to make me not want to read another book by this author.
Susan
Jill pens "Glistening Haven' in an original plot with it's interesting twists and turns. With characters that are well developed and believable, you will find it hard to put down. A nice fast read for all dystopian fans.

This review is based on a complimentary copy from the author which was provided for an honest review.
Nushki
Nushki marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Millie
Millie marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Jöel Gerber
Jöel Gerber marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
Lavendersbluegreen
Lavendersbluegreen marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2014
Laura DeLuca
Laura DeLuca marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2014
Wanda C.
Wanda C. marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2014
Meredith
Meredith marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
RELEASE DAY GIVEAWAY!! 1 5 Dec 06, 2012 10:59AM
Author of the YA Dream Slayer series, Jill loves to blend horror, comedy, the supernatural, and love, through her novels. A fan of genre blending, her work strives to cross boundries, but most of all strives to entertain.

She loves soft cuddly cats, warm blankets, and paranormal romances.

Jill resides in Massachusetts, is constantly renovating her home that she shares with her husband, young daughte...more
More about Jill Cooper...
15 Minutes (Rewind Series #1) The Dream Slayer (The Dreamer Slayer, #1) Glistening Rebellion Demon Royale (The Dreamer Slayer, #2) Devour