Start by marking “A Matter of Circumstance and Celludrones (Dark Matters, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Matter of Circumstance and Celludrones (Dark Matters, #1)

A Matter of Circumstance and Celludrones (Dark Matters #1)

3.39  ·  Rating Details  ·  272 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
A Victorian Steampunk/Paranormal adventure with strong elements of romance...

Lady Lily d'Bulier is prim, proper, and prefers to think of herself as pragmatic rather than timid. And avoiding life-threatening situations at all costs is just plain practical. But everything changes when Lord Adair tracks her down in London; searching for answers he seems to think she has.

Greys
Published October 2nd 2012 by CreateSpace (first published September 24th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about A Matter of Circumstance and Celludrones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Matter of Circumstance and Celludrones

Nefertiti's Heart by A.W. ExleyPrince of Hearts by Margaret FoxeHatshepsut's Collar by A.W. ExleyShadows of Asphodel by Karen KincyA Dark Heart by Margaret Foxe
Indie Steampunk
8th out of 67 books — 75 voters
Secrets of a Wedding Night by Valerie BowmanMust Love Dukes by Elizabeth MichelsMy Dearest Enemy by Connie BrockwayMissing Lily by Annette K. LarsenGilding the Lily by Rita Bradshaw
"Lily"
36th out of 101 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Samantha (Book Lover's Cozy Cafe)
This book left me wanting more, wanting more of Lily and Grey, more of Kendall, and also Neco and Ana. I started out reading this and at first it had me a little confused, because I didn't quite exactly know what was going on with Lily, and her visions, but it did start out like you'd see in something like Jane Austen's- Pride and Prejudice. Where the height of society is at a ball, and all the elegible women, are seeking their future husbands, and some have already found them. Well Lily she bas ...more
Renee Nicole
Dec 07, 2012 Renee Nicole rated it liked it
Shelves: owned-freebie
This is one of those books where I hovered my mouse over the stars, and decided to go back to that after I'm done writing about it. YOU know those books!

So, I grabbed this one from Amazon when it was free because I'm toying with the idea of enjoying steampunk novels. I like the sci-fi and fantasy aspect, but not-so-much the historical part. I don't know, y'all. I just can't LURV a historical romance!

Anyway, big deal with this book, because there wasn't much of a romance in this story. Lily is a
Judy Croome
Sep 27, 2012 Judy Croome rated it really liked it
From mechanical puppies to paddling in the aether, from mad scientists to amazing inventions, A MATTER OF CIRCUMSTANCES AND CELLUDRONES is set in a remarkably Victorian England where spunky women are constrained by circumstances and robotic celludrones and the world is changing as fast as the newly invented dirigibles can carry their passengers.

The story zips along at a fast pace, twisting and turning as the lively characters struggle with demons, both internal and external.

Lady Lily d'Bulier a
BlackTulip

Reviewed By BlackTulip for Confessions from Romaholics

I knew Claire Robyns from her two fabulous historical novels "Betrayed" and "The Devil of Jedburgh" and when she told me that her next book would be a Victorian-Paranormal-Steampunk, though I admit that it isn't my genre, I was genuinely very curious and intrigued about it ... and here I am. But who would have thought that one day I would like to read a Paranormal-Steampunk novel, well ... not me!

The author spins a world of deadly icy demons,
Netanella
I had a more difficult time with this book than I expected, which is why I am giving it only 3 stars. Partly I'm sure this had to do with the romance elements with Greyston, who seemed to waffle his attentions between the prim and proper Lily and the effervescent but married best friend Evelyn. I don't like my males Clinton-esque, and I'm sure that ruined some of the enjoyment of the story for me.

As a steampunk adventure, the book is darn good. I particularly liked the aspect of the celludrones
Mike
One would assume that people would have had a suffiency of foolish romances. But, looking around one, one perceives that this is not, in fact, the case.

If only this book had been written like the above sentences, I might have forgiven the silly romance and the way in which it got in the way of the adventure. Sadly, the writing was less than competent. I only got 42% of the way through, and noted the following: "she slipped passed" (instead of past), "I'll never get my full" (instead of fill), "B
Cassie
Nov 05, 2012 Cassie rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this novel. This is the first book I have read of Claire Robyns, and I can honestly say I am looking forward to reading her previous books, and any that she will write in the future.
Literati Literature Lovers
To many genres converge

This isn't a bad book but considering it is a series the author really should have slowed down the data dump of information. It's as if the author wanted to give her readers everything she could think of in one book. We have a prim miss, a rogue, the dedicated scientist, the friend, the flirt, the devoted servants, androids, steampunk, paranormal, demons, mystery, start of a love triangle, marriage on the rocks, time travel, visions, death, mechanical dog, magic castle, an
Kaitlyn Francis
Dec 10, 2012 Kaitlyn Francis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ax, x, arr, reviewed
This review is posted here http://silenttbookblog.blogspot.com/2...

Ever wonder what life was like for people living in the age that flight was being experimented on and to travel places you needed a carriage, no traffic at all. Lady Lily d'Bulier lives as such and waiting to be asked to marry. Of course life can be a bit strange when you own a Celludrone, a type of robot made to protect those they are given too. Greyston Adair comes along and needs to protect her as well because being attacked b
Tiffany
Aug 24, 2015 Tiffany rated it did not like it
Shelves: steampunk, fiction
I gave the book a full eight chapters and in that entire time, the author did absolutely nothing to give me a reason to like the characters. I found them all to be bland at best and incredibly annoying at worst.

Likewise, the writing was bordering on elementary with, as one earlier reviewer pointed out, many grammatical and tense errors that should never have been there if the author had paid attention or selected an editor who knew what they were doing.

When I read a book, it doesn't need to be a
Bunnyk
Sep 11, 2015 Bunnyk rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable!

New author to me, and I love the steampunk genre, so fell on this rather as one starving being offered a feast! Enjoyable fluff, would read again and again.
Laure Reminick
May 12, 2014 Laure Reminick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting take on Steam-punk, with demons. Enticed to read more of the series.
Laura Lough
Not bad for a light, fun easy read! Kindle Unlimited recommended this to me based on my interest in Gail Carriger
Joy
Mar 09, 2014 Joy rated it really liked it
Very interesting. I love the demon concept in this story. The celludrones are very sci-fi and hope to learn more about them in book 2. I really enjoyed the story and liked Lily and Greyston a lot. Hopefully there will be more action in book 2, it sounds like it.
Amy
Apr 17, 2013 Amy rated it liked it
Shelves: steampunk, kindle, 2013
The plot and characters are really intriguing, the writing is a little bit confusing at times. It felt in some instances like there was TOO much going on. The end was rather abrupt. Kind of like this review.
Commentary
Aug 15, 2013 Commentary rated it liked it
It was OK, but a both the characters and magic/technology were unevenly developed. I will probably try to second but if it doesn't get better then probably will not continue. Nice covers though.
Jen
May 21, 2013 Jen rated it it was ok
2.5 stars. I was thinking this was steam punk, but it turned into gas lamp fantasy. Something about it just didn't work for me.
Windy
Oct 11, 2014 Windy rated it liked it
Shelves: steampunk, ebook
3.5 stars. Book had several interesting themes but needed better editing. Will be reading the next book in the series.
Dorie
Jun 06, 2013 Dorie rated it it was amazing
I wasn't sure I would like this, but it is very interesting. I am looking forward to reading the rest of the series!!
Amy Aelleah
DNF
Why?
Because I don't dig abducted girls falling in love with the abductor after five pages.
Lindsay
Melody P. Burbage
Melody P. Burbage rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2016
Carole
Carole rated it really liked it
Apr 06, 2016
Lynette
Lynette marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2016
Jossie Mtz
Jossie Mtz marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2016
Amanda Sunderland
Amanda Sunderland marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2016
Cathleen
Cathleen rated it really liked it
Mar 18, 2016
Shasha
Shasha rated it really liked it
Mar 18, 2016
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 14, 2015 02:21PM
  • Badlands (Badlands #1)
  • The Bewitching Tale of Stormy Gale (Stormy Gale, #2)
  • Tarnished (The St. Croix Chronicles, #1)
  • The Peculiar Pets of Miss Pleasance (Blud, #1.6)
  • The Kaiser Affair (The Drifting Isle Chronicles #1)
  • His Clockwork Canary (The Glorious Victorious Darcys, #2)
  • The Hunter (The Legend Chronicles, #1)
  • A Lady Can Never Be Too Curious (Steam Guardians, #1)
  • The Seduction of Phaeton Black (Paranormal Investigator, #1)
  • Masquerade Secrets (Scandals and Secrets, #2)
  • Lust Plague (Steamwork Chronicles, #2)
  • The Kraken King  (Iron Seas, #4)
  • Avalon Revisited
  • Geared for Pleasure (Elemental Steam #1)
  • Unnatural History (Pax Britannia, #1)
  • Like Clockwork
  • Full Steam Ahead
  • Tarnished Knight (London Steampunk, #1.5)
Claire Robyns lives in Berkshire, England, with her husband and twin boys. When Claire isn't thigh-deep in laundry, shopping, cooking and general crowd control, you'll find her head-and-heart-deep in the tangled lives of her characters.
Visit Claire at her website www.clairerobyns.com or on twitter @clairerobyns
More about Claire Robyns...

Dark Matters (4 books)
  • A Matter of Propriety and Parasites (Dark Matters #2)
  • A Matter of Desire and Dirigibles  (Dark Matters, #3)
  • A Matter of Arrogance and Apocalypses (Dark Matters, #4)