A Matter of Circumstance and Celludrones (Dark Matters, #1)

A Matter of Circumstance and Celludrones (Dark Matters #1)

3.38 of 5 stars 3.38  ·  rating details  ·  150 ratings  ·  18 reviews
A Victorian Steampunk/Paranormal adventure with strong elements of romance...

Lady Lily d'Bulier is prim, proper, and prefers to think of herself as pragmatic rather than timid. And avoiding life-threatening situations at all costs is just plain practical. But everything changes when Lord Adair tracks her down in London; searching for answers he seems to think she has.

Greys...more
Published October 2nd 2012 by CreateSpace (first published September 24th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about A Matter of Circumstance and Celludrones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Matter of Circumstance and Celludrones

Prince of Hearts by Margaret FoxeNefertiti's Heart by A.W. ExleyHatshepsut's Collar by A.W. ExleyShadows of Asphodel by Karen KincyA Dark Heart by Margaret Foxe
Indie Steampunk
12th out of 38 books — 50 voters
Shades of Earth by Beth RevisInsurgent by Veronica RothA Storm of Swords by George R.R. MartinFingers in the Mist by O'Dell HutchisonThe Politics Book by Paul  Kelly
green covers
30th out of 48 books — 9 voters

More lists with this book...

Samantha (Book Lover's Cozy Cafe)
This book left me wanting more, wanting more of Lily and Grey, more of Kendall, and also Neco and Ana. I started out reading this and at first it had me a little confused, because I didn't quite exactly know what was going on with Lily, and her visions, but it did start out like you'd see in something like Jane Austen's- Pride and Prejudice. Where the height of society is at a ball, and all the elegible women, are seeking their future husbands, and some have already found them. Well Lily she bas...more
Renee Nicole
This is one of those books where I hovered my mouse over the stars, and decided to go back to that after I'm done writing about it. YOU know those books!

So, I grabbed this one from Amazon when it was free because I'm toying with the idea of enjoying steampunk novels. I like the sci-fi and fantasy aspect, but not-so-much the historical part. I don't know, y'all. I just can't LURV a historical romance!

Anyway, big deal with this book, because there wasn't much of a romance in this story. Lily is a...more
Judy Croome
From mechanical puppies to paddling in the aether, from mad scientists to amazing inventions, A MATTER OF CIRCUMSTANCES AND CELLUDRONES is set in a remarkably Victorian England where spunky women are constrained by circumstances and robotic celludrones and the world is changing as fast as the newly invented dirigibles can carry their passengers.

The story zips along at a fast pace, twisting and turning as the lively characters struggle with demons, both internal and external.

Lady Lily d'Bulier a...more
BlackTulip

Reviewed By BlackTulip for Confessions from Romaholics

I knew Claire Robyns from her two fabulous historical novels "Betrayed" and "The Devil of Jedburgh" and when she told me that her next book would be a Victorian-Paranormal-Steampunk, though I admit that it isn't my genre, I was genuinely very curious and intrigued about it ... and here I am. But who would have thought that one day I would like to read a Paranormal-Steampunk novel, well ... not me!

The author spins a world of deadly icy demons,...more
Mike
One would assume that people would have had a suffiency of foolish romances. But, looking around one, one perceives that this is not, in fact, the case.

If only this book had been written like the above sentences, I might have forgiven the silly romance and the way in which it got in the way of the adventure. Sadly, the writing was less than competent. I only got 42% of the way through, and noted the following: "she slipped passed" (instead of past), "I'll never get my full" (instead of fill), "B...more
Cassie
I really enjoyed this novel. This is the first book I have read of Claire Robyns, and I can honestly say I am looking forward to reading her previous books, and any that she will write in the future.
Kaitlyn Francis
This review is posted here http://silenttbookblog.blogspot.com/2...

Ever wonder what life was like for people living in the age that flight was being experimented on and to travel places you needed a carriage, no traffic at all. Lady Lily d'Bulier lives as such and waiting to be asked to marry. Of course life can be a bit strange when you own a Celludrone, a type of robot made to protect those they are given too. Greyston Adair comes along and needs to protect her as well because being attacked b...more
Tiffany Mae
I gave the book a full eight chapters and in that entire time, the author did absolutely nothing to give me a reason to like the characters. I found them all to be bland at best and incredibly annoying at worst.

Likewise, the writing was bordering on elementary with, as one earlier reviewer pointed out, many grammatical and tense errors that should never have been there if the author had paid attention or selected an editor who knew what they were doing.

When I read a book, it doesn't need to be a...more
Laure Reminick
Interesting take on Steam-punk, with demons. Enticed to read more of the series.
Nenia Campbell
Yaaaaay! I won this book in a giveaway. And do you want to know something really amazing? I was the sole winner. That's never happened to me before!! I must say, beating those odds (1 in 1,500) really humbles you.

And what a great book to have associated with that honor.

A Manner of Circumstance and Celludrones is an indie steampunk/mannerpunk novel in the style of Gail Carriger. Lily is a shy, well-to-do bluestocking who believes in propriety and non-boorish lairds lords. Her friend Evelyn is her...more
Joy
Very interesting. I love the demon concept in this story. The celludrones are very sci-fi and hope to learn more about them in book 2. I really enjoyed the story and liked Lily and Greyston a lot. Hopefully there will be more action in book 2, it sounds like it.
Amy
The plot and characters are really intriguing, the writing is a little bit confusing at times. It felt in some instances like there was TOO much going on. The end was rather abrupt. Kind of like this review.
Commentary
It was OK, but a both the characters and magic/technology were unevenly developed. I will probably try to second but if it doesn't get better then probably will not continue. Nice covers though.
Jen
2.5 stars. I was thinking this was steam punk, but it turned into gas lamp fantasy. Something about it just didn't work for me.
Windy
3.5 stars. Book had several interesting themes but needed better editing. Will be reading the next book in the series.
Dorie
I wasn't sure I would like this, but it is very interesting. I am looking forward to reading the rest of the series!!
Lindsay
Oct 10, 2012 Lindsay marked it as to-read
Amazon Freebie 10/10/2012
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Kelly Crowe
Kelly Crowe marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Paula Bailey
Paula Bailey is currently reading it
Aug 27, 2014
  • Badlands (Badlands #1)
  • Avalon Revisited
  • Prince of Hearts (The Elders and Welders Chronicles, #1)
  • A Lady Can Never Be Too Curious (Steam Guardians, #1)
  • Fate War: Alliance
  • The Kaiser Affair (The Drifting Isle Chronicles #1)
  • Lady of Devices (Magnificent Devices, #1)
  • Tarnished Knight (London Steampunk, #1.5)
  • Hounds of Autumn
  • Tarnished (The St. Croix Chronicles, #1)
  • Her Ladyship's Curse (Disenchanted & Co., Book 1, Part #1)
  • Falling (Hemlock Bay, #1)
  • The Peculiar Pets of Miss Pleasance (Blud, #1.6)
  • Fall of Sky City (Devices of War, #1)
  • Generation
  • Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea (Niki Slobodian, #1)
  • Lust Plague (Steamwork Chronicles, #2)
  • The Hungering Saga Complete (The Hungering Saga, #1-3)
Claire Robyns lives in Berkshire, England, with her husband and twin boys. When Claire isn't thigh-deep in laundry, shopping, cooking and general crowd control, you'll find her head-and-heart-deep in the tangled lives of her characters.
Visit Claire at her website www.clairerobyns.com or on twitter @clairerobyns
More about Claire Robyns...
Falling for the Guy Next Door (Corkscrew Bay, #1) The Devil of Jedburgh How To Love A Princess Betrayed Falling for Alexander (Corkscrew Bay, #2)