Acts of Malice (Nina Reilly #5)

Acts of Malice (Nina Reilly #5)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  1,027 ratings  ·  43 reviews
Set amid the darker side of Lake Tahoe's glamorous ski resorts, Acts of Malice has Nina taking on the case of Jim Strong, a member of South Lake Tahoe's most prominent families and the owners of the posh Paradise Ski Resort. With his brother Alex recently killed in a headline-making accident that occurred while they were skiing together, Jim fears he may be indicted in the...more
Audio CD
Published January 25th 2007 by Brilliance Audio (first published July 13th 1999)

J
Stacy
Pedantic. Relationships that moved too fast to be believed. Ridiculous descriptions of things in an attempt to warm the reader to the characters. Kind of boring, but not so boring that I couldn't finish it. Boring enough that I won't be reading anything else by this author.
Dale
A lot of soap opera, a little legal thriller

I listened to Acts of Malice as an abridged audiobook and I'm hoping some of the problems I have with the book were really due to the abridgment.

Problems:

1. her son Bob - he never speaks. He never does anything but be the perfect son who never, ever does anything wrong while mom sometimes spends outrageous hours out of the home. Watch out for this kid - he's going to be trouble!

2. Her son Bob says nothing, nothing at all about mom getting married to a...more
Carl Alves
In Acts of Malice, Jim Stronghold hires attorney Nina Reilly to hire him when he is suspected of murdering his brother in a skiing accident. As Nina delves further into the case, she is conflicted when she develops a relationship with the prosecuting attorney. Even though she wants to believe in her client's innocence, more and more hints are appearing that he is not all that he seems to be and he has a nasty side to him. Despite being warned off, Nina persists and evnetually comes to realize th...more
Emily
You know how you can turn on the TV and watch any episode of Law & Order and enjoy it regardless of whether you've seen the show before? Law & Order: SVU on the other hand requires more of an investment. One needs to know what has happened in the lives of the detectives and attorneys and how that relates to the case at hand. This book is more like Law & Order: SVU.
I had never read a book by this author before, and I felt like I was jumping in halfway through the season. The authors r...more
Wendy
This is the first book I've read by this author. Despite not having read the preceding 4 books in the series, it wasn't difficult to pick up on the characters and their relationships to each other.

Nina Reilly is an attorney in Lake Tahoe who lands a client charged with the murder of his brother. At first, the death looked like a ski accident, but was later upgraded to a homicide. The author does a nice job building suspense by leaving the reader unsure as to whether her client, Jim Strong, is a...more
Grace
Lawyer Nina Reilly works to defend Jim Strong who is accused of killing his brother on the ski slopes near Lake Tahoe. Nina does her best to get the charges dropped, but can't decide whether Jim is guilty or not and whether she should trust him. Jim's wife and family don't trust him and say that he destroys whatever his enemy loves most. When he finds out that Nina has betrayed him, he sets out to destroy what she loves most, her new husband. Now she fears for her son's life also, but her former...more
One of my favorite reads! This time, Nina has a mysterious case. Jim, a co-manager of the ski-resort with his father, is accused of killing his own brother. Jim swears he didn't do it. So Nina agrees when she gets the story. But somethings strange are with Jim. But Nina decides not to push it. Meanwhile, Collier is back. From a humiliating last case, he is ready to get back at the job. But this time, he has the hots for Nina.
Scott
This was my first book by Perri O'Shaughnessy. I liked the story and the characters. This is about Nina Reilly, a lawyer in Lake Tahoe taking on a client Jim Strong who wrecks havoc on everyone he meets and is accused of killing his brother Alex. A fun read particularly if you're into skiing, which I'm not, but enjoyed the story so much I went on to read the sequel Dreams Of The Dead.
Karen
Aug 14, 2007 Karen rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: not-too-bright fans of legal thrillers
I find the same problem w/this book as with the other O'Shaughnessy books I've read - obvious ending. It was very clear to me from the get-go which characters were not going to live thru the book and who the bad guy was.

But a decent piece of fluff, and has some interesting legal maneuvering in it.

And for those keeping track - yes, I read like a demon, and read this book in a weekend.
Jeanne
This is the fifth of the Nina Reilly books, and it was a good read. Nina is representing Jim Strong, whose family owns a popular ski resort at Lake Tahoe. Jim is accused of murdering his brother. Love interests, detective Paul and prosecuting attorney Collier are back for this one. Sad ending. Note, these books really need to be read in order for the stories to make sense.
Sue
The premise is interesting. I enjoyed the first part of the book even though the relationship built very quickly. Then ending was somewhat predictable. The book turned too dark at the end and I felt it was left hanging, maybe for the next book in the series. Since this was the first book I've read in this series, I thought maybe Paul was a psycho stalker. Time will tell.
Cindy Kester
It's been a while since I read a book by Perri O'Shaughnessy and once again it didn't disappoint. It was good to get back to a book by the sisters. Hard to imagine somewhat could be as devious as the villian of the book, but it takes all kinds. It kept my interest throghtout the whole book. A good ending, sad, but good.
Dimples88
WOW! It's like no book I've ever read! There are parts of it that will make you feel queasy--it shows u the mind of a really twisted human being. Very chilling, and utterly addictive. And until the killer is revealed, u really don't know who it is!

It's an amazing book, and I'm definitely gonna read more books by this writer.
Cathie
I really enjoyed this one as much as the others, except for the sad ending, but the authors leave the reader with a shimmer of hope as things will get better for Nina. I really like the character of Nina, she has adversity and with every novel she gets stronger and stronger with each experience. Neat stories.
Pam
4.5/B+
5th in the Nina Reill series. Nina takes on the case of Jim Strong accused of killing his brother Alex in a skiing accident. In this one the twists & turns are more in the personal nature of Nina's life than the who done it. Jim is a psychopath w/ a long history of cruelty, abuse & violence.
Karen
Ok, this isn't as hearty a 5 as a 5 usually means to me. However, this is far and away the best Nina Reilly novel I have read. The villain is truly evil. Nina finally finds happiness. But you never know how things are going to turn out...
Mary Beth
This may be my favorite, to date, of the Nina Reilly books. It's creepy and scary and makes you think about pure evil. Very intense. I probably would have sprung for a 5 on this book except the romance part was too unbelievable.
Lynn
I liked this author and this heroine in the past but did not like this book. She is an attorney for the defense and falls in love with the prosecuting attorney during a high profile case. They even get married. Just didn't work for me.
Rhonda
Nina Reilly is a lawyer with a 13-year-old son. She takes a case where a man is accused of killing his brother. Of course romance enters the plot. It is engaging until the end. This is the 5th in a series.
Talia
Learning about the law through Nina O'Reilly is enjoyable in the summertime. I find I can't put this series of mysteries down. A love affair in this story is a nice touch too.
Linda
I liked the characters and it had suspense enough - not dragged out beyond a couple of pages. The romance part was a bit unbelievable - but they always are.

Good Read
Melissa
Book #54 read in 2008

A good read, but not one of the best in the series. I really was invested in the personal story of the characters, but I did not care for the case.
Barbra Craig
Nina O'Reilly #5
Nina O'Reilly defends Jim Strong who's accused of killing his brother Alex. Nina's relationship with Collier from the DA's office intensifies. SAD!
Deanna Hansen
The stories in this series just get better and better. A few tears in this one but the ending made me cheer...the evil bad guy really got his!
Cheri
This is maybe my favorite of the Perri O'Shaunessy books. It's extremely creepy and scary and more intense than the others.
Ginny
I enjoy Nina Reilly, though she is another focus character who is relationship challenged. Good read, not to strenuous.
Susan
kept me guessing to the end!
Linda
Another page turner with lots of surprises. I have to take a break from this series so I can get some sleep!!! :)
  • Mistaken Identity (Rosato & Associates, #4)
  • Reckless Endangerment
  • Suspicion of Guilt (Gail Connor and Anthony Quintana #2)
  • The Mercy Rule (Dismas Hardy, #5)
  • The Attorney (Paul Madriani, #5)
  • Protect and Defend (Kerry Kilcannon, #2)
  • Dark Justice (Ben Kincaid, #8)
  • Cold Hit (Alexandra Cooper, #3)
Perri O’Shaughnessy is the pen-name for two people, Pamela and Mary O’Shaughnessy, sisters. The authors' pseudonym is an homage to Perry Mason, the man who never met a guilty client, and a melding of their two first names, Pamela and Mary. O’Shaughnessy is their paternal family name.

They are the authors of eleven bestselling Nina Reilly novels as well as a collection of short crime fiction, Sinist...more
More about Perri O'Shaughnessy...
Move to Strike Motion to Suppress Obstruction of Justice (Nina Reilly, #3) Breach of Promise (Nina Reilly #4) Writ of Execution (Nina Reilly #7)