Start by marking “Undercover saint” as Want to Read:
Undercover saint
Preview

Undercover saint

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  178 ratings  ·  43 reviews
Going undercover in a Salt Lake City Mormon singles ward is not anti-terrorist agent Matthew Knight's idea of a high-profile assignment. And he has deliberately avoided the Beehive State ever since his mother was murdered in Salt Lake City when he was eight years old. Ready at first to defy his orders from Washington, he resolves to stick around when he's attacked by a man ...more
Published 2012 by Covenant Communications, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Undercover saint, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Undercover saint

Rob Cannon
I checked out this book wondering if it would be cheesy and full of "green Jell-O" type Mormon humor. However, I was hooked after the first chapter. The book is very well written, and although it may be geared toward a Mormon audience, I think non-Mormons could enjoy it too.

Whenever I get sucked into a good book, I often find myself wondering how the author comes up with their ideas. Undercover Saint was no exception. It is an engaging story with elements of intensity, humor, and faith. Other s
Katie Watkins
I love stories with quirky characters! Undercover Saint is full of them. Matthew is going undercover in his toughest assignment yet--an LDS singles ward. He has a different sense of humor and the ward members are quite unique as well. I enjoyed the twists and turns that the story took me through.

Content: some mild violence, otherwise clean.
I couldn't put this down. I loved the way it sucked me into the story. I liked the characters, the mystery and the ending. Great read. I will definitely pick up any future books by Holdaway...welcome to the fiction scene!
Kathryn
loved this book! it had all the areas covered, romance, humor, suspense, and unpredictable mystery.

Matthew Knight gets the assignment to go undercover in an LDS singles ward to find the terrorist threat and nix it. He doesn't want to date to get to know all these new people, mostly woman, so he comes up with the "undate." A meeting in section 89, (cafeteria) with some prepared questions to open people up to see if they have something to hide. He meets some unexpected characters,Colt Mangum an ex
Amy Halbern
At first I wasn't sure if I was gong to like this book, but as I started reading it, I started to enjoy the story, however it took me a little bit longer to get into it, but as it progressed I really got into it. I Love how each character brings so much heart and soul to the story. I felt it helped that we got to read each of their backstories. This book is about forgiveness, love, friendship, overcoming trials and redemption. This book was a roller coaster of emotions. I enjoyed the ending it m ...more
Teri
My daughter, Rachel, recommended this book and i LOVED it! she and i both enjoy Betsey Brannon Green and Tracey Abramson type books, but this was even better. the author has a clever sense of humor, very quick wit.(not really sarcastic or caustic) it is a suspense book with a little romance thrown it. but i think its real underlying message was about the healing and redemptive power of Forgiveness.
Susan
First of all, it was pretty exciting to think terrorists could really be living and preparing an attack right here in Salt Lake City. I enjoyed Matthew Wright's undercover as a single adult living in his bishop/boss's ward--REALLY. But, the events were exciting and funny at the same time. I especially enjoyed Matthew's sarcasm.
Jackie
I went looking for this book after reading a review of it in the newspaper. And I have to say it lived up to the hype (which is not often the case).

Over the top? Yes. Unbelievable? Yes (it is, after all fiction). An enjoyable read? Absolutely.

Things I liked:

1. The humor.

2. The characters - they were each individuals to me.

3. The moral standards. (The mini-sermons scattered throughout the book weren't- IMO -too heavy handed.)

4. The happy ending - I really am a happy ending kind of person.

5. Eve
Sue
I was surprised I liked this book. After all, how feasible is it that a government agent would go undercover in a Salt Lake City Mormon Singles Ward looking for a terrorist? There is a lot of religious teaching woven through the story but it's a good story with some surprising twists. It's entertaining and a very pleasant read to see how friends come together and how faith and forgiveness can change lives.
Verona
This was one of my favorite books that I've read this year. I hadn't read anything by this author, but I would like to read another one. I really liked his use of humor, and enjoyed the whole plot and storyline. The story had some interesting twists and was loaded with interesting characters who seemed like real people. I liked everything about this book. It made me laugh, it made me cry, especially at the tender ending. I also was glad for the discussion of the LDS faith in parts of the story ...more
Meggen
Completely contrived and predictable, but it was a quick escape, easy to listen to as I was driving.
Terrie
Fun, light read. Currently serving in a Single's Ward made it all that much more entertaining
Stacy
We'll written, fun mystery. I enjoyed the characters and the terrorist plot twist.
Melissa
We listened to this in the car as a family. The whole family enjoyed it!
Michelle
Enjoyed this book will have to read more by this author.
Patricia
LDS Fiction. This book was recommended to me by a co-worker. She said, "This one's a good one." Her opinion is always spot on with these kinds of books so I picked it up right then, started reading, and finished the book that same day.

The author uses the English language well--the book was very enjoyable to read from that perspective. I liked the story and the characters.
Suzana
Good book, very witty. I laughed out loud several times. Well written with twists and turns that had you guessing again and again at the ending. My favorite character was 75-year-old Permelia. She was a riot!

The lessons were powerful - forgiveness of others and oneself. The power of friends and reaching out to others. Letting go of the past and the things you can't change.
Heather
most people don't like LDS fiction because it lacks any umph. This book, while not as gripping as some I've read,it is really good in its believability and has different twists and turns right until the last pages. I think some areas could have been fleshed out a little better, but it was a compelling read. Not too much preaching for a guy undercover in a singles ward.
Shauna
This is one of the best suspense novels I have ever read!

Filled with witty humor, splashes of romance, terrorists, and intense suspense.

You will find yourself captured in the story and then just when you think you figured it out the author throws in another twist to the story...SO GOOD!

I hope this author has more books coming...I would definitely like to read more!
Whit
I've been reading Frank Holdaway's non-fiction work for years and have been a big fan. I was so glad to find that his first novel was as brilliant as his non-fiction. His characters nearly jump off the page. You know and love them from the moment they are presented. If I stay up late to finish a book, you know it's good.
Shellie
absolutely awesome!! I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The story line was great, unpredictable, while still being believable, and the characters were wonderful. While having an LDS background, the characters were decidedly still 'real world'. I liked that!

I sure hope this author has written other books!
Stacy
I have several friends that love these kinds of books, so I keep giving them a chance, but the truth is, I just don't seem to be able to delve into them. I finished it, even though it took me forever. The story itself was interesting and it's not a knock on the author by any means. Just not my cup o' tea.
Maren
Apr 20, 2013 Maren rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
This was a fun read. The whole Mormon element wasn't overdone or unbelievable. It was a good story. For some reason it didn't totally capture my fancy, though. Sometimes the main character was too flippant, trying to be too funny. But I think this author did a great job on his debut novel.
Erica
I really enjoyed this book. Great character and plot development, and a nice twist at the end. I sometimes struggle with male authors, but Frank did a great job of developing real, believable male and female characters. I totally recommend this one.
Celeste
I liked the story-it was fast paced and had a good mix of romance, mystery and friendship. I thought a couple of parts at the end were a bit cheesy-but overall, it was a good enough Mormon fiction.
Peggy
Conversations toward the beginning seemed forced and unrealistic but improved dramatically by the end.

At the beginning I was planning to give it a 2.5 but by the end it was up to a 3.5.
Melissa
I liked the tone of this book, it was fun to read. The story got a little bit dissheveled to me, it felt kind of scattered, but it was still a fun and easy read.
Alex
okay. i think i would have enjoyed this more if there was a little bit more of a focus on the actual terrorist attack instead of the village, or the running, or hope...
CompassBookRatings
To see full book review with rated content analysis go to http://www.compassbookratings.com/rev...
Wendy Whiting
The description of this book sounded lame. However, the book was amazing! I literally could not put it down!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Drop Zone
  • City of Angels (Rhea Jensen, #1)
  • Murder By The Way (Kennedy Killingsworth, #3)
  • Deadly Undertakings
  • Legend of the Jewel (Isabelle Webb, #1)
  • The Guy Next Door
  • Shadow of the Crown
  • I, Spy (Spy Another Day, #1)
Undercover Saint