Start by marking “The Falconer (The Falconer, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Falconer (The Falconer, #1)

The Falconer (The Falconer #1)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  4,510 ratings  ·  929 reviews
One girl's nightmare is this girl's faery tale

She's a stunner.
Edinburgh, 1844. Eighteen-year-old Lady Aileana Kameron, the only daughter of the Marquess of Douglas, has everything a girl could dream of: brains, charm, wealth, a title—and drop-dead beauty.

She's a liar.
But Aileana only looks the part of an aristocratic young lady. she's leading a double life: She has a rare
Hardcover, UK, 317 pages
Published September 26th 2013 by Gollancz (first published September 19th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Falconer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Falconer

Fangirl by Rainbow RowellThe Dream Thieves by Maggie StiefvaterThe Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly BlackThe Burning Sky by Sherry ThomasUnited We Spy by Ally Carter
YA Books - Publishing September 2013
24th out of 85 books — 196 voters
City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra ClareCress by Marissa MeyerThe Blood of Olympus by Rick RiordanSilver Shadows by Richelle MeadDreams of Gods & Monsters by Laini Taylor
Upcoming YA Novels of 2014
158th out of 510 books — 1,402 voters

More lists with this book...

Elizabeth May
Sep 26, 2013 Elizabeth May added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
September 26 edit: The book is out in the UK! It's lurking in your bookshops! *tosses confetti*

September 6 2013 edit: The first two chapters of THE FALCONER are now posted to sample! Check out the Gollancz Blog for chapter 2!

Hi Goodreads people!

The first chapter of THE FALCONER is now available to read over on SciFiNow!

I'm glad so many of you enjoyed my pre-release pictorial presentation on here, but I've made the decision to remove it for these reasons:

1. ARCs have gone out into the world! Rea
Khanh (Clowns, Nightmares, and Bunnies)
Faefever lite.

This was not a bad book, but I wouldn't recommend this to anyone who has read and loved the Faefever series unless you enjoy constantly being hit on the head with dueling comparisons.

It doesn't help that Kiaran's last name is MacKay. I couldn't help but chuckle every time I saw it. Also, Aileana...so similar to Alina.

The parallels are too obvious, and I felt that the setting, characters, and conflict are overwhelmingly shadowed by the superiority of the Fever series. There's also
Kat Kennedy
I was hanging out with my good friend, Elizabeth May. We were riding unicorns along a deserted beach as our hair whipped in the wind, occasionally strands of her red and my brown locks blending together. We gazed lovingly together as we rode, smiling as joy filled our hearts in an almost mutual amount.

When we pulled our unicorns to a break, having reached the peak of a cliff overlooking the sea, I took an opportunity to ask her a question.

“Elizabeth,” I said whimsically as I gazed out at the set
Kiki
I hate the Victorian era. I find it excruciatingly boring. Here's some taffeta and high tea and let's have masked balls and let me carry my parasol and oh, fie! What do you make of these new inventions?

I hate the Victorian era because it's so overdone. You know what else is overdone? You know what else I'm sick of? London. Before any of you get into a flap - particularly any of you who know me - let me preface that by saying that London is the shiz. London absolutely rocks. Have you been to Lond
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)

DNF at 77% (pretty impressive huh?)

Laaaaaaaaaadies & Gentlemeeeeeen!

Why-The-Hell-Did-I-Try-To-Read-This Productions proudly present

FEVER. DECAFFEINATED.

It won't keep you reading until 4 am!
It won't make you want to throw away your underwear across the room!
Now stress-free!
Now angst-free!
Faint-of-heart enabled!
In a steampunk setting!
Amidst the exotic landscapes of beautiful Scotland!
With a teenage MC!
A dream come true!

Why bother with the real lethal deal when you can enjoy the so-heal
Jennifer Armentrout
Oh. My. God.

I don't know what to say. Other than this has to be my favorite young adult paranormal/fantasy/whatever they are calling it so far this year. And that's saying something because I'm not a huge fan of fae books other than the Iron Fey series and this book is NOTHING like that. It kind of reminds me of the Fever series, but for young adult. It's nothing like that plot or what not, but it has that hard edge, ya know. This book is so different it terms of what's out there in the YA marke
Emily May

2.5
Goodreads members have differing opinions on what kind of rating is the hardest to write a review for. Some say it's the ones they didn't like - perhaps trying to keep a balance between their own subjective dislikes and the overall general standard of the book; some say it's the all time favourites - how can you put that kind of book love into words? For others, myself included, it's those annoying books that sit right in the middle. Those books that are okay. Fine. Overwhelmingly average. W
Alicia Batista (Addicted Readers)
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

O.M.G

description

WHAT THE HELL DID I JUST READ??? IT WAS...

description

AILEANA THE MAIN CHARACTER WAS SO BAD ASS AWESOME!!

description

ME THROWING A FIT UNTIL BOOK TWO RELEASES!

~~~~~~EDIT REVIEW~~~~~~

5 Stars

THE FALCONER was PHENOMENAL!!! From it's Scotland lure, to it's vengeance and murder, to it's THRILLING, action-packed adventure, and heart-pounding, slow burning romance, that sent heat rising, and toes curling, THE FALCONER was exceptional, and did NOT disappoint!!!

THE FALCONER is inde
Anna Alden
Full disclosure: I was one of Elizabeth's beta readers for The Falconer.

Honestly, I was hesitant when she asked me to read this. So many paranormal novels have come out over the last few years that I was ready for a break--and I was pretty over faeries, especially. I've seen enough faery court politicking and I don't find it interesting.

I decided to give this a few pages, and ended up reading all of it.

There are no faery courts. No politicking. Many of the faeries in this book are violent monst
mich
DNF at 56%

A mishmash of light YA fantasy / urban fantasy / pnr / steampunk. This thing screamed my type of book!

Everything this book is trying to give me are ALL things that I love in a story:

--a strong, badass heroine
--swoony guys (yeah, that’s plural. So I guess we know what’s happening with that, huh. that part I don't love so much if it goes there.)
--revenge plot
-mystery and danger

Problem is, even though this book is TRYING to give me those things, I don’t feel like I’m getting them. Not a
Brigid
There's blood coming from my eyes. It drips down my cheeks and flows down my neck. It's coming in large spurts and gulps. I touch my neck and discover it's not coming from only my eyes, but my neck. Blood sprays out like a fucking squirt gun. I'm so shocked by the ending that I'm numb. I'm so torn apart that I don't feel the pain.

I can see why the author's hair is the color of blood. She must dye her hair with the blood of her readers with a cliffhanger like that. Scary lass.

I'm sorry you guys
Jana Oliver
I read the pre-pub version of THE FALCONER and it blew me away. Totally. Blew. Me. Away. Don't tell my editor, but I set aside my own novel's revisions to finish this story in a day. I devour a lot of YA paranormal and most of it is just okay. Forgettable, even. That is not the case with THE FALCONER.

There is just something about the story that went beyond the ordinary into the "this so rocks" category. Between the compelling voice of the tormented heroine and the historical Edinburgh/steampunk
Wendy Higgins
That was a WOW for me. My envy of Elizabeth May knows no bounds. Not only is she an extremely talented writer and photographer, she's also friendly and witty. And beautiful. HAVE YOU SEEN HER HAIR?!??? But she's too nice to hate.
The Falconer is steampunk with a helping of fantasy. You will adore the MC, Kam. She's an awesome, strong lead character. And then there's broody, dangerous, mysterious Kiaran. Yeah. You're gonna likey. ;)
Well done on your debut, Elizabeth!!!
Aly∞
Actual rating: 3.5 stars.

This was really quite good, except for the damn cliffhanger. Now I need the second one as soon as possible.

Things I enjoyed:

- It's action-packed from start to finish, and each fight brings something new to the story.
- Kiaran MacKay. I love how I could never guess whether he was a good guy or a bad guy, even if he was portrayed as good. Desperately hoping for another villain to love here.
- Gavin Galloway. He's smart and funny, and he's definitely a guy I'd want to be frie
Kendra
Any book that is so incapable and uncertain of continued readership that it doesn't even bother to resolve one story line within its pages is a bad book. Cliffhangers don't usually bother me -- mostly because the endings people tend to call cliffhangers actually ... aren't. This one is, though, and it is awful. It is poorly done. It is frustrating. I read 350 some pages for absolutely nothing to be resolved.

And perhaps if those 350 pages were in any way entertaining or enjoyable I might've given
Whitley Birks
See this review and more at my blog

This book had some decent action and some great writing and descriptions of fairies and magic, but it fell flat on the emotional front for me. Not because it was lacking in emotion, mind you, but more because it tried way too hard in that regard.

Falconer delivered in almost every aspect that drew me to it in the first place: evil fairies, bloody slaughter, explosions, mayhem, 19th century Scotland setting, tea parties getting attacked, and all of that part of
sunset shimmer
This book had characters that I really liked, and also the correct amount/balance of slow moments and action. But the cliffhanger really aggravated me. Also it had a lot of technical terms that I could not pronounce to save my life. Still, I enjoyed myself, and need to get a hold of book 2 ASAP due to that ridiculous cliffhanger.
Tina ♥ Bookaholic

Meine Gedanken:
Gleich von den ersten Seiten an konnte mich die Geschichte rund um Aileana mitnehmen, die im Jahre 1844 spielt, als die Etikette und der Ruf noch das alles Entscheidende war. Es ist eine gute ineinander fließende Story; die das Historische mit Steampunk-Elementen und Fantasy vermischt.

Aileana weiß nach einem tragischen Schicksalsschlag vor einem Jahr über Feen Bescheid, die sich überwiegend im alten Schottland tummeln. Aber diese Feen sind k
Sophie
I received an Advance Reader Copy from the publisher via NetGalley. This in no way impacted on my view.

Now, I read this book way back in early 2014, but couldn't really remember much about it. I knew I'd have to re-read it soon, seeing as The Vanishing Throne is coming out in November, and when I saw a copy available on NetGalley to review, I just had to request it.

All I could remember was:
- It's set in 19th century Edinburgh, but there's loads of technological inventions that shouldn't be there
Katerina Kondrenko
7 out of 10

ревью на русском/review in russian

Short-Soundtrack:
Skillet – Not Gonna Die
Stan Walker – Unbroken
Zella Day – Sacrifice

My first steampunk. Did I like it? Definitely.

Though the plot was a bit average: special girl saves the world: she’s training to kill evil creatures while being torturing with memory of her mother’s murder and falling for her enemy. BUT! The dressing is good, it was very fast reading.

Seeing as I’m new in steampunk genre, let me admire mix of old times, hoop skirts,
Sh3lly (Not all those who wander are lost)
Someone said Fever series and I am so desperate to find a series similar to Fever, I'll give anything a try. ...more
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum http://bibliosanctum.blogspot.com/201...

I was initially drawn to The Falconer thanks to that striking cover. Just absolutely gorgeous! And then I read the book's description and saw that the story was no slouch either. A mix of paranormal fantasy and historical fiction, the Fae, and a spirited heroine made this one sound very inviting.

It is Scotland and the year is 1844. A year has passed since Aileana Kameron was found standing over the dead body of her mother,
Nemo (the Moonlight Library)
Nope. Nope, nope, nope, nope, nope.

This book started off very strongly and ended up with me ragequitting. Or, I would have ragequit if the book didn’t end in the middle of the climax.

Aileana Kameron is the gorgeous (but she doesn’t know it) daughter of Scottish nobility who is impatient with all things girly and fine and prefers to trash her reputation by skipping out on important social events to slay fairies in the hopes that one day she will face the horror that murdered her mother a year ago
Tabatha
Jun 05, 2012 Tabatha marked it as to-read

2013!?

Ican'twaitthatfreakin'loooong!

Gergana Hristova

Cheesy, but enjoyable.

The Audiobook
-It took me some time before I got used to the narrator. The first hour her voice was a little bit monotonous, but it gets better with time.
-Kiaran sounds like Batman... it's simultaneously cheesy, creepy and sexy XD

What I liked
1. Kiaran and Ailena's interaction was the best part of the whole book! Whenever these two meet there is bound to be some human/fae misunderstanding (especially where etiquette is concerned).

2. The action - if you are looking for a h
Alina Rain
«Охотницы» - это прекрасный представитель своего жанра. Изысканное подростковое фэнтези, сочетание Шотландии 19 века, стим-панка и фейри. Потрясающий, вкусный язык? Идеальное сочетание мифологии, описаний, диалогов и экшна, яркие герои. О да, я влюблена.

У леди Айлиэн Кэмерон есть секрет. Под маской придворной дамы, под пышными платьями и вежливыми улыбками – скрывается монстр. Скрывается девушка, что создает оружие и не может жить без охоты на темных фейри. Все началось с того момента, как она с
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
3.5 stars.

By now, everyone in the world knows that I’m terrified of faeries. I dislike seeing them romanticized; I’d much rather have them portrayed as the deceptive, vicious creatures they are. In The Falconer by Elizabeth May, though, there’s a little bit of both, and that, as it turns out, is a perfect combination for someone like me.

We join Aileana not at the traumatic event that caused her to start killing faeries, but a year later, when she’s already met Kiaran MacKay, who molded her into
Ellis
Actual rating: 3.75 stars

Ellis: HERE'S WHAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN.

Ellis: Oh no.

Ellis: You will make sure that you get your hands on this book. You're going to skip to p. 292. You will five-star the hell out of that page.

Ellis: OH RLY? Remember the first 120 pages and how much you struggled with those?

Ellis:

Ellis: Remember how disconnected from Aileana you felt?

Ellis:

Ellis: Remember how aggravated you were when Kiaran ambushed Aileana in the middle of the day, when she is trying so hard to keep her
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
Scored the audio in an Audible sale last week, so I'm re-reading/listening. Original review here.
Tanya Nekrasova
Ааааааааааааааааааааа! Я просто влюбилась в эту книгу и героев. Хочу еще !!!! аааааааааа. Стим-панк медленно, но уверенно становится моим любимым книжным жанром!!!

"Мое будущее - это позолоченная тюрьма из шелка, балов и лживой вежливости".

Знакомитесь, Айлиэн – днем настоящая леди, звезда балов и светских раутов, завидная невеста, объект всех сплетен, а ночью – кровожадная охотница на фейри. В недрах Эдинбурга много лет назад, такие же охотницы, как Аэлиэн заключили в плен тысячи злобных фейри,
The Young Adult H...: The Falconer - February's Read 1 5 Feb 06, 2015 11:00PM
Steampunk, New We...: The Falconer Buddy Read 2014 53 35 Oct 21, 2014 07:45PM
Fairy vengeance? 2 34 Sep 24, 2014 10:36AM
Steampunk, New We...: This topic has been closed to new comments. The Falconer By Elizabeth May 10 45 Apr 19, 2014 12:35AM
The Not-So Austen...: The Falconer - December BOTM Discussion 4 15 Jan 04, 2014 12:05PM
  • Maid of Secrets (Maids of Honor, #1)
  • Crushed (Soul Eater, #2)
  • Kinslayer (The Lotus War, #2)
  • Lark Rising (Guardians of Tarnec, #1)
  • Lady Thief (Scarlet, #2)
  • City of a Thousand Dolls (Bhinian Empire, #1)
  • All That Glows (All That Glows, #1)
  • Legacy of the Clockwork Key (The Secret Order, #1)
  • Poison
  • The Lovely and the Lost (The Dispossessed, #2)
  • Born of Illusion (Born of Illusion, #1)
  • Acid
  • The Perilous Sea (The Elemental Trilogy, #2)
  • A Darkness Strange and Lovely (Something Strange and Deadly, #2)
  • Chantress (Chantress, #1)
  • Mystique
  • Princess of Thorns
  • The Wizard’s Promise (The Hanna Duology, #1)
***If you'd like to send me a message, please do so via e-mail to ensure I read it. :) elizabethmaywrites[at]gmail[dot]com***

Elizabeth May currently resides in Edinburgh, Scotland, with her husband. THE FALCONER is her début novel.

Follow her on Twitter @_ElizabethMay or visit her website www.elizabethmaywrites.com

____

A note on my ratings and reviews: I don't love every book I read. But I only rat
More about Elizabeth May...

The Falconer (3 books)
  • The Vanishing Throne (The Falconer, #2)
  • Untitled (The Falconer, #3)
The Vanishing Throne (The Falconer, #2) The Falconer (Sneak Preview): Book 1 Untitled (The Falconer, #3)

“I'm like him. I'm a monster, too.” 19 likes
“You know my mother thinks the waltz is indecent."

"Your mother would find the sight of a chair leg indecent.”
16 likes