Start by marking “Proof of Intent (Charley Sloan, #5)” as Want to Read:
Proof of Intent (Charley Sloan, #5)

Proof of Intent (Charley Sloan #5)

3.74  ·  Rating Details  ·  125 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Charley Sloan isn't your typical lawyer. But then again, this isn't your typical case. When famous author and hometown hero Miles Dane is arrested for murdering his wife, it seems like an open-and-shut case. With no credible alibi, a mountain of physical evidence, and a motive of millions, it seems the prosecution's case is airtight.

The police suspect that Dane had planned
Published December 7th 2003 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published November 9th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Proof of Intent, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Proof of Intent

Edward Weiss
Mar 25, 2016 Edward Weiss rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Because of the difficulty in obtaining exactly what one wants, I am reading these Charley Sloan novels out of order, the 2nd first and the last (According to what I have found on Google, there is a fourth Charley Sloan series, The Court, not very readily available anywhere except at a large cost, but I will keep looking.) second. Further, I can't be sure who wrote it: William J. Coughlin, the series creator, or Walter Sorrells, or the latter off-of left behind notes or pages written by the forme ...more
Amber
May 27, 2011 Amber rated it it was amazing
One of my all-time favorites!!!
J
Dec 09, 2012 J rated it liked it
BEWARE OF SPOILERS. I don't hide or promote my reviews.

Hard to tell from the jacket, but I gather that author William Coughlin put together a novel based on ideas or notes from deceased author Walter Sorrells, with the permission and help of a Ruth Coughlin. (Ruth and Walter hold the copyright. The provenance is a mystery of its own, as jacket and credit page are silent on the relationship between William and Ruth.)

The book, published in 2002, is about a writer of lurid novels accused of the mur
Rhod
Jul 20, 2014 Rhod rated it really liked it
Took me a few pages to get into this book - but then couldn't put it down. Charley Sloan is hard to like in a way, but grows on you. The author brings in Lisa, his daughter, who like Charley is an alcoholic. The two of them team up to defend a man who evidence says clearly murdered his wife. The ensuing courtroom drama is really something. The book is very well written and full of turns and twists.
Smoochys
Not bad

A well known author is accused of murdering his wife. Enter Charley Sloan as the defense attorney. Charley is very likable. He admits his flaws and weaknesses, and he will do whatever it takes to get the job done. I am looking forward to reading the next book featuring Charley.
Ana Rebelo
May 24, 2013 Ana Rebelo rated it liked it
A história desenrola-se em volta do julgamento do homicídio de Diana Dane, onde o principal suspeito é o próprio marido, Miles Dane, um famoso escritor de policiais. O mais interessante nesta história é o facto de este crime estar descrito com detalhe num dos primeiros livros do autor, chamado Como Matei a Minha Mulher e Consegui Ficar Impune.
Miles Dane contrata Charley Sloan para seu advogado de defesa e é a partir dos olhos deste que vemos o enredo avançar. Miles revela-se um cliente difícil,
J.t.
Feb 26, 2014 J.t. rated it really liked it
Wow! Very good book with some excellent twists. Am going to have to find some more "Charley Sloan" books to read.
Sandy
May 25, 2014 Sandy rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this detective, mystery, courtroom drama. The writing pretty much breezed along and I was stumped right up to the end, which was a surprise to me. I recommend this if you enjoy these types of books and are looking for something new, even though this was written in 2002!
judy weaver
2015 reading challenge. hometown
Peggy Walker
Feb 04, 2013 Peggy Walker rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller, courtroom
This is a book from the Charley Sloan series. For some reason it's attributed under two different names, but this is definitely William J. Coughlin. Charley Sloan is defending a Norman Mailer type character....an author who's style of hard-nosed novels are starting to slip in popularity. He's accused of murdering his wife. Lots of satisfying twists and turns. Great page-turner.
Bob Zeidman
Aug 26, 2012 Bob Zeidman rated it liked it
This was a fun page turner. It had interesting twists and turns, but they required a lot of things to fall neatly into place. The characters weren't very deep and the legal maneuvering in the courtroom was pretty implausible. Overall it was fun but not memorable.
Mar 26, 2010 Laura rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery, suspense
I didn't even remember what this book was about until I re-read the description. It just wasn't very memorable. The main characters were not all that interesting - especially the "killer". The plot twist at the end was way too obvious.
Jeanne O'donnell
Jun 27, 2013 Jeanne O'donnell rated it really liked it
My first book in this series and it was pretty good. Twists to story. Free on amazon
Julie
Nov 07, 2008 Julie rated it really liked it

Fun read if you like a courtroom drama
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Stacey
Stacey marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Kathy Ulincy
Kathy Ulincy rated it liked it
Apr 14, 2016
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
Oduogu Marvis
Oduogu Marvis marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2016
Regina
Regina added it
Mar 20, 2016
Sue Lauzon
Sue Lauzon marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2016
Vince
Vince rated it liked it
Mar 16, 2016
T
T marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2016
martyn fisher
martyn fisher rated it it was ok
Mar 09, 2016
John
John rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2016
BARBARA BAKER
BARBARA BAKER rated it it was amazing
Feb 19, 2016
Arlene Knobloch
Arlene Knobloch marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2016
  • Fallen Idols
  • Breach of Trust
  • Murder One (Ben Kincaid, #10)
  • The Advocate's Devil
  • Love and Honor
  • Final Target (Graham Gage #1)
  • Upside Down
  • Slow Motion Riot
  • Blood of the Albatross
  • F2f (R)
  • Grand Jury
  • Miss Marple Meets Murder: The Mirror Crack'd / A Pocket Full of Rye / At Bertram's Hotel / The Moving Finger
  • Last Reveille
  • Voodoo
  • The Good Liar
  • Alias: The Pursuit: A Michael Vaughn Novel (Prequel Series #5)
  • Catherine the Great: A Short History
William Jeremiah Coughlin (1929-1992), former defense attorney and judge in Detroit for twenty years, was the author of sixteen novels. He lived in Grosse Pointe Woods, Michigan with his wife, Ruth, an author and book critic.

Also wrote under the pseudonym of Sean A. Key.
More about William J. Coughlin...

Charley Sloan (5 books)
  • Shadow of a Doubt (Charley Sloan, #1)
  • Death Penalty (Charley Sloan, #2)
  • The Judgment (Charley Sloan, #3)
  • The Court