Start by marking “Proof of Intent (Charley Sloan, #5)” as Want to Read:
Proof of Intent (Charley Sloan, #5)

Proof of Intent (Charley Sloan #5)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  101 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Charley Sloan isn't your typical lawyer. But then again, this isn't your typical case. When famous author and hometown hero Miles Dane is arrested for murdering his wife, it seems like an open-and-shut case. With no credible alibi, a mountain of physical evidence, and a motive of millions, it seems the prosecution's case is airtight.

The police suspect that Dane had planned
Published December 7th 2003 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published November 9th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Proof of Intent, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Proof of Intent

Amber
One of my all-time favorites!!!
J
BEWARE OF SPOILERS. I don't hide or promote my reviews.

Hard to tell from the jacket, but I gather that author William Coughlin put together a novel based on ideas or notes from deceased author Walter Sorrells, with the permission and help of a Ruth Coughlin. (Ruth and Walter hold the copyright. The provenance is a mystery of its own, as jacket and credit page are silent on the relationship between William and Ruth.)

The book, published in 2002, is about a writer of lurid novels accused of the mur
Rhod
Took me a few pages to get into this book - but then couldn't put it down. Charley Sloan is hard to like in a way, but grows on you. The author brings in Lisa, his daughter, who like Charley is an alcoholic. The two of them team up to defend a man who evidence says clearly murdered his wife. The ensuing courtroom drama is really something. The book is very well written and full of turns and twists.
Smoochys
Not bad

A well known author is accused of murdering his wife. Enter Charley Sloan as the defense attorney. Charley is very likable. He admits his flaws and weaknesses, and he will do whatever it takes to get the job done. I am looking forward to reading the next book featuring Charley.
Ana Rebelo
A história desenrola-se em volta do julgamento do homicídio de Diana Dane, onde o principal suspeito é o próprio marido, Miles Dane, um famoso escritor de policiais. O mais interessante nesta história é o facto de este crime estar descrito com detalhe num dos primeiros livros do autor, chamado Como Matei a Minha Mulher e Consegui Ficar Impune.
Miles Dane contrata Charley Sloan para seu advogado de defesa e é a partir dos olhos deste que vemos o enredo avançar. Miles revela-se um cliente difícil,
J.t.
Wow! Very good book with some excellent twists. Am going to have to find some more "Charley Sloan" books to read.
Sandy
I really enjoyed this detective, mystery, courtroom drama. The writing pretty much breezed along and I was stumped right up to the end, which was a surprise to me. I recommend this if you enjoy these types of books and are looking for something new, even though this was written in 2002!
Peggy Walker
This is a book from the Charley Sloan series. For some reason it's attributed under two different names, but this is definitely William J. Coughlin. Charley Sloan is defending a Norman Mailer type character....an author who's style of hard-nosed novels are starting to slip in popularity. He's accused of murdering his wife. Lots of satisfying twists and turns. Great page-turner.
Bob Zeidman
This was a fun page turner. It had interesting twists and turns, but they required a lot of things to fall neatly into place. The characters weren't very deep and the legal maneuvering in the courtroom was pretty implausible. Overall it was fun but not memorable.
I didn't even remember what this book was about until I re-read the description. It just wasn't very memorable. The main characters were not all that interesting - especially the "killer". The plot twist at the end was way too obvious.
Jeanne O'donnell
My first book in this series and it was pretty good. Twists to story. Free on amazon
Julie

Fun read if you like a courtroom drama
Leann
Leann marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
Sarah Kenney
Sarah Kenney marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
Maureen Drew
Maureen Drew marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
John Williams
John Williams marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Don Baker
Don Baker marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Bonnieg
Bonnieg marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Vernell
Vernell marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
William Jeremiah Coughlin (1929-1992), former defense attorney and judge in Detroit for twenty years, was the author of sixteen novels. He lived in Grosse Pointe Woods, Michigan with his wife, Ruth, an author and book critic.

Also wrote under the pseudonym of Sean A. Key.
More about William J. Coughlin...

Charley Sloan (5 books)
  • Shadow of a Doubt (Charley Sloan, #1)
  • Death Penalty (Charley Sloan, #2)
  • The Judgment (Charley Sloan, #3)
  • The Court
Shadow of a Doubt (Charley Sloan, #1) Death Penalty (Charley Sloan, #2) In The Presence of Enemies The Judgment (Charley Sloan, #3) The Stalking Man