Start by marking “Grigory Rasputin: Holy Man or Mad Monk?” as Want to Read:
Grigory Rasputin: Holy Man or Mad Monk?

Grigory Rasputin: Holy Man or Mad Monk? (A Wicked History)

3.64  ·  Rating Details  ·  118 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
Features:
- Engaging biographies of famous and infamous figures in history
- Sophisticated design will attract high-school and middle-school struggling readers, yet on-target reading level makes these books accessible to readers of all levels
- Controlled vocabulary and sentence length make these books highly readable
- Directly Correlated to Social Studies Standards for Midd
Published September 1st 2007 by Children's Press(CT)

To ask other readers questions about Grigory Rasputin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grigory Rasputin

Rachel Terry
Aug 07, 2012 Rachel Terry rated it liked it
Shelves: biography
Great, easy read, perfect for middle schoolers, full of interesting maps, photos, and illustrations. It starts with a gripping account of Rasputin's murder, and it gives readers a great historical backdrop. What I want to know is this: how is it possible that a man who didn't bathe for months on end could be so irresistable to women that they would clip his nasty toenails and sew them into their dresses?
Abby Johnson
Jan 12, 2008 Abby Johnson rated it really liked it
One of the first four titles in Scholastic's new Wicked History series, this book is sure to please reluctant teen readers. It's gripping from the first page as it starts with Rasputin's murder and then backtracks to his childhood and covers his life. Photos accompany the text and separate text boxes break things up with in-detail coverage of certain aspects of the book like hemophilia and World War I. The book concludes by asking whether Rasputin really was evil. It gives a two-page review of t ...more
Habiba Kabbaj
Mar 31, 2015 Habiba Kabbaj rated it really liked it

Grigory Rasputin, Holy Man or Monk was published by the series “The Wicked History”. Grigory Yefimovich Rasputin was born in January 21, 1869 in Russia and was assassinated in December 30, 1916. Her daughter claims that meteor fell when his father was born, in Serbia. Rasputin was a Russian peasant and a noble friend to the tsar family. Furthermore, it is said that Rasputin was one of the causes to the fall of the Russian monarchy and Russia’s depression during World War I. Since Rasputin lived
Seung Min Baek
Nov 14, 2014 Seung Min Baek rated it really liked it
Friday, November 14, 2014

Rasputin is described to be a strange and abnormal man. First of all, people believed that he was protected by the forces of evil. This was because he was able to get away with the poisoned cake and wine. It states, "In the cellar, Yusupov offered his guest two cakes. Rasputin ate. Then he drank the poisoned wine. Yusupov waited. But Rasputin seemed only to relax (Goldberg 12). Secondly, people question his identity and his surroundings. They try to analyze, "A prince pl
Taha Ababou
Taha Ababou
February 6, 2015
English 7-1
Pages 1-33

Grigory Rasputin was a Russian tsar that was born in Siberia, a cold land that covers a huge part of northeast Russia. Gregory was born in 1869. His daughter claimed that a meteor fell at the moment his father was born. Life in Rasputin's village wasn't so pleasant, there were many muzhiks, and modern people who lived the way their grandparents lived. "In Siberia, people lived much the way their grandparents did. Peasants farmed the land. They trav
Maesa Waheed
Jan 26, 2015 Maesa Waheed rated it it was amazing
Shelves: already-read
September, 28, 2014
Rasputin had a brother named Dimitri who died of a sickness. After his death he began to get a different attitude. In the village the farmers told that he could talk with animals. Even Rasputin’s father thought he had a special talent, since he healed a horse just by touching his injured leg. After he has healed the horse he talked to him. The farmers also thought that he was able to read the minds of the other persons. The people think that one day that talent would give him
Randall Christopher
May 26, 2013 Randall Christopher rated it really liked it
These books are really good for younger students to learn some interesting facts about the lives of some of histories most influential people. They may have been wicked, but all of them definitly had some historical significance, or else we wouldn't need to know about them. This book put enough intrigue about this enigmatic man, without going into great detail about the things he would actually do. There were some things insinuated, but not directly stated. It mentioned him "seducing" women and ...more
Emily Huffman
Feb 26, 2014 Emily Huffman rated it really liked it
Um, pretty clear that he leaned toward the "Mad Monk" side of things. But a great overview of the guy, what he did, and the time period in general. I seriously had no idea that World War 1 was taking place during the tail end of this. I really think I might start checking more children's history books out from the library. That's my level of uneducated.
Emily
Jan 19, 2016 Emily rated it really liked it
Ok, so the Goodreads description is not the best. However, this quick book is great for reluctant readers. Not only is it short, but it has plenty of pictures and an interesting story - so the book goes by fast! I learned about Rasputin in elementary school, but in college, I found out how interesting he really was. Also, I saw a picture. Overall, he was creepy. Have you ever seen his picture? CREEPY. Additionally, he was impossible to kill! Seriously. Read about it! If not in this book, somewhe ...more
George Majchrzak
Aug 12, 2016 George Majchrzak rated it really liked it
I really enjoy this series and would like to find more. I wish Scholastic offered them when I was young.
Clarence
Feb 28, 2014 Clarence rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spring2014
he was genlt in the holy war he was a bad person i love thisbook becaues it was a great book
Peggy Petronio
Jul 20, 2015 Peggy Petronio rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Insightful look at the life of Rasputin. Students will love this.
Shelley Daugherty
Apr 25, 2015 Shelley Daugherty rated it really liked it
A nice synopsis of the life of Rasputin.
Dayjai G.
I think that he was crazy
Crystal
Sep 29, 2009 Crystal rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009, guy-reads
This series will draw in readers with its dark humor and factual information. It makes good use of graphic images and maps to help tell the story. The information is good, and should be enough for middle schoolers. The author presents the facts, allowing the readers to decide if the person was wicked or not. Also helpful is the index, glossary, list of sources and suggestion for further reading.

It held my attention well and I am looking forward to reading the other titles in this series.
Megan Anderson
Great book for a social studies class. It begs the question, "What is good? What is evil?" I could definitely see myself using it for an in-class discussion or a mock debate. Besides that, there's a lot of good information and a list of books and websites for further research if the reader is interesting. Not necessarily the most difficult non-fiction ever, but a good resource nonetheless.

4/5 on here, 8/10 for myself
Amanda
Sep 18, 2009 Amanda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
I wanted more meat about Rasputin. The most interesting part was the photography, because Rasputin is recent enough that they HAVE decent pictures of him. He's so creepy, and I still don't understand how he seduced all of those women into admiring and loving him. A decent read, but not quite what I hoped for for middle school students.
Matthew
May 19, 2013 Matthew rated it it was amazing
From the Wicked History series, Grigory Rasputin is a book about the bizarre life and death of one of the most influential men in Russia during the early 1900s. It goes over his life in great detail, with ice supporting pictures. I would recommend this to anyone searching for a nice short-but-fun informational/biography.
Dayna Smith
Rasputin started out as a poor peasant from Siberia only to become one of the most powerful men in Russia. He claimed to have mystical powers, was he a holy man or a mad man? The Russian czars believed in him or did they? A fascinating little book that will definitely introduce young people to nonfiction reading.
Sue
Apr 26, 2013 Sue rated it liked it
another one of those quickie biographies to satisfy our students who can't be bothered to do real research... i did a paper on him in high school back in the late 70's. i knew most of this stuff and they regurgitate it more clearly than they did for vlad the impaler! pretty good for what it was intended.
Cheri
the series description states the sentence length is controlled for accessibility - but this book in particular annoyed me. It listed things. It was jolting. There seemed to be no flow. This happened. Then something else did. da dutda dutda da.
Meagan G
This book is a quick read if you are looking to learn something about this guy but not read too deep. Great for younger people. I marked it scary because these people were real! And that is truly scary.
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
Jul 01, 2010 Lisa (Bookworm Lisa) rated it really liked it
I liked reading a biography that is to the point and gives you the info. It was never boring. Two thumbs up for me!

Rasputin was also quite the character. How anyone took him seriously is beyond me.
Karolinde (Kari)
The facts are well presented, but the best part is that the authors don't draw conclusions for the reader. Instead, the reader is left to make the decisions based on the facts provided.
Audrey
Jun 21, 2009 Audrey rated it really liked it
Excellent photos, political cartoons, diagrams, maps, etc. and sidebars providing historical background -- all of which pull the reader into this intriguing tale.
Rebecca
Feb 04, 2009 Rebecca rated it it was ok
This book gave a bit more information on Rasputin. It is a kid's book, so it was a really quick read. I donated it to my local library when I was done with it.
Travis
Apr 07, 2013 Travis rated it liked it
Simple writing with interesting facts about Rasputin, his influence on Russia via Russia's last Tzar and his family. Very bizarre!
Eliza
Jun 29, 2008 Eliza rated it liked it
good series for kids on various dictators of history....written
in a readable style with cool charts and photos.
Jeffield
Jul 06, 2009 Jeffield rated it liked it
Written for children but I learned much as well. What an evil man.
Katie
Feb 24, 2012 Katie rated it liked it
Shelves: history, 2012
He is really, really creepy. A good read though.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Mary Tudor: Courageous Queen or Bloody Mary?
  • A Weed Is a Flower: The Life of George Washington Carver
  • It Jes' Happened: When Bill Traylor Started to Draw
  • You Never Heard of Sandy Koufax?!
  • The Anne Frank Case: Simon Wiesenthal's Search for the Truth
  • George Washington's Teeth
  • Freedom in Congo Square
  • Saltypie: A Choctaw Journey from Darkness into Light
  • Orani: My Father's Village

A Wicked History (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Vlad the Impaler: The Real Count Dracula
  • Genghis Khan: 13th-Century Mongolian Tyrant
  • Tomas de Torquemada: Architect of Torture During the Spanish Inquisition
  • Henry VIII: Royal Beheader
  • CIXI: Evil Empress of China?
  • Ivan the Terrible: Tsar of Death
  • Leopold II: Butcher of the Congo
  • Robespierre: Master Of The Guillotine
  • Francisco Pizarro: Destroyer of the Inca Empire
  • Mary Tudor: Courageous Queen or Bloody Mary?