Start by marking “Brazil” as Want to Read:
Brazil

Brazil

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  238 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
Michael Palin has traveled around the world, exploring countless countries for the BBC. Now, Palin treks Brazil for the first time for a new BBC series, which went on the air in October 2012, and discovers the incredible diversity of this nation, one of four new global superpowers. From the Venezuelan border and the forests of the Lost World to the headwaters of the Xingu, ...more
Published August 20th 2013 by Thomas Dunne Books (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Brazil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brazil

Faith Spinks
It was nice to revisit my other home of Brazil through this Michael Palin book. Of course, he has visited parts of Brazil which i have not and he didn't visit the place I love and lived in for 5 years so it wasn't exactly a trip down memory lane.

There were a few comments he made which I questioned but also a few which just made me laugh out loud. Such as "Brazil is not a quiet country", which reminded me of how overwhelmed I sometimes felt by all the noise in brazila and yet how hard I used to
Stephen
Oct 29, 2012 Stephen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
witty and educational book by the master of travelogues michael palin about the lastest series aired on BBC televison also come with some lovely and beautiful photos as well, well worth exploring brazil the most popular country over the few years in print and photos.
Jb
Nov 14, 2013 Jb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having spent half a year (not sequential) as a volunteer as a consultant with a service organization in Brazil, when I spotted this tome on the new book shelf at the public library it attracted my attention. It’s a light-hearted travelogue with a BBC filming crew. Palin covers a wide variety of geographic and human experiences. Northeast: Mix of races and cultures that produced music, dance and food that symbolize the country. Rio: Contrast between party town and appalling violence. The South: T ...more
Richard
Mar 02, 2014 Richard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read almost all of Michael Palin's travel books. The pictures are always excellent. The text is serviceable, though as a big Monty Python fan, I usually feel it could have been funnier and more ambitious. I lived in Brazil for eight years, so this is the only time I'd actually been to most of the places he wrote about. That made me even more interested but resulted in a less adventurous reading experience. Palin remains affable and positive throughout, which makes him a desirable traveling ...more
Anna
Mar 09, 2013 Anna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
Brazil is one of the BRIC countries and its profile is about to go up even more with the FIFA world cup next year and the 2016 summer Olympics. Michael Palin is always to charming and informative and respectful and irreverent. He may not do great Brazilian accents but he sure did a perfect New Zealand one! Palin floats down the Amazon in a small boat visiting tiny villages, dances with the Yanomami, marches in a gay pride demonstration in Rio and wanders famous Brazilian beaches filled with scan ...more
Chris
Jan 06, 2013 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: misc-non-fiction
The book to accompany the TV series. Michael Palin writes wonderfully, and describes the sights, sounds, tastes and smells in far more detail than can be shown on the TV! An excellent introduction to the vast country that is Brazil, from bush tribes to city dwellers and everything in between, an amazingly diverse and endlessly fascinating country.
My only minor quibble is that some of the photos seemed on the small side for the detail they contained. It appears that with ever-increasing resolutio
Jeff Howells
Aug 09, 2014 Jeff Howells rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First a confession: Michael Palin's travel books are the only books I read twice. That's because they are the only ones I buy in both hardback (a traditional Christmas present going back to Around the World in 80 Days) and in paperback. Overkill? Perhaps but I love his TV shows and I love his books. Although he's probably run out of places to visit this is an interesting read, not least because the recent World Cup and the forthcoming Olympics have put Brazil centre stage. I wonder where he'll g ...more
Joel Wende
Oct 26, 2012 Joel Wende rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Palin at his best here. Witty and wonderful!! Hopeful and enthusiastic. Just like the Brazilians he is meeting!

I would recommend reading this before watching the accompanying TV series. From past experience with Palin travel books/series, the book provides so much more context and character development than the TV series. Just due to the time restraints of TV programming!
Mel
Mar 02, 2014 Mel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Is this a travel book? Is this a photo book? Is this a book in which you envy the author his adventures? All of the above. I'm going on record: going to Brazil next!
Robin
Jan 30, 2015 Robin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction

"Brazil is not a quiet country": never a truer word spoken, and Palin at his dry witty best. As a (completely self-declared) adoptive Brazilian, I was reluctant to read a touristic book on Brazil by an Englishman, but Michael Palin completely blew me away. Keen observations, many fun facts, interesting insights and a great piece of writing.

His Brazil-experience isn't as profound as mine, thankfully, but he's seen more of the country, so this is a sound read for anyone with an interest or past in
Brian Saul
Feb 07, 2014 Brian Saul rated it really liked it
Michael Palin piqued my long-standing interest to visit all parts of this fascinating country. I'll make it there someday. His writing style and his manner correspond with mine, I believe. Our bank balances, however, differ tremendously. I doubt I'll get to experience first-hand all of what he was able to do, nor to be able to travel *anywhere* for 75 days in a row. So I read about it, and his "Brazil" is, indeed, a good read.
Ana
Jun 13, 2016 Ana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An easy and engaging read. I particularly like his comments on Brazilian personalities.

My main gripe is that the author/narrator butchers most words in Portuguese. I can't blame him, I know he's British not Brazilian, but still, for someone who speaks Portuguese, this can be distracting.

Over all a very enjoyable book.
Dillon
Sep 04, 2015 Dillon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very entertaining and enlightening book. With the characteristic humour of Michael Palin, this book provides insights into Brazil which open it up to be better understood. Although a large and old nation I basically know nothing of the country, but Palin has given me a better understanding of what makes Brazil tick.
Cindy May
It's interesting to read about Brazil in the same year in which the (Futbol) World Cup will be held there and after having seen the Cruzamentos exhibit at the Wexner Center (on the OSU campus), so that's certainly made it more meaningful. Now I guess I'll have to check out the dvds of the series.
Hardeep
Jul 28, 2016 Hardeep rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Always fun to read travel books by Michael Palin, plus the photography of Basil Pao is a treat. Even though it has been many years since our trip to Brazil it was great to revisit some of the places via this book... Rio, Salvador, Ouro Preto. Reminded me that we need to return to visit Amazonas, Brasilia to see the incredible architecture of Oscar Niemeyer, Sao Luis and the Lencois Maranhenses National Park, iguacu, catch a game at maracana....
Suzi
Dec 30, 2014 Suzi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was ok, I am glad I read it whilst in Brazil though. Palin's narrative is a mix of fun facts and anecdotes, it's ok, I learnt a lot but none of it very useful for travelling round Brazil. It's definitely a book of a TV series (which I didn't watch!).
Tapani Aulu
Hyvä ja kaunis läpileikkausa Brasiliasta. Silti olen sitä mieltä että Palin sopii paremmin telkkariin. Jotkut kohdevalinnat olivat vähän erikoisia, mutta näin jättimäisen maan koluamiseen ei riittäisi yksi ihmiselämä.
Isabel Ferreira
Dec 28, 2015 Isabel Ferreira rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As always, it's great to get a glimpse into another corner of the world through the eyes of Michael Palin. I enjoy reading his off-the-beaten path accounts of places and people. Brazil was no exception.
Alex
Dec 09, 2014 Alex rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid companion log to his Brazil documentary. Would have been better if the book expanded on the documentary, rather than just reflect what was featured on tv.
Nikola Jankovic
I want to go to Brazil now! Obviously interesting and huge country, but I have a feeling now that not only I want to visit it, i would like to live there - if I would be deciding to move abroad. I listened to an audio book is ok for narration, but for this kind of content, I was missing some maps and photos - I presume Brazil would then look even more interesting.
Eva Whiteley
Though not my favourite Palin book read to date, Brazil flows seamlessly through this great country from North to South via world famous locations and introducing the reader to some unexpected surprises. On this journey there are lots of interesting snippets about modern day improvements mixed in with historical facts on how Brazil became the country it is today. Like most countries the people, culture and diversity differs from city to city, region to region, which makes for an enjoyable read.

T
Liz Michaels
Oct 25, 2015 Liz Michaels rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.75 As always I enjoy Michael Palin's travelogue, I just wonder why the word "ogres" is on the cover. Was that a subconscious rection?
Garvan
Jul 13, 2014 Garvan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy reading the books of Michael Palin . Brazil is no exception . Learnt a lot about the country . Easy yo read and very enjoyable
Linda
May 11, 2014 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Although (metaphorically speaking) I'll follow Michael anywhere, I was underwhelmed by this destination. I didn't feel a connection with the country or its people.
Colin Slider
Dec 11, 2015 Colin Slider rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
very entertaining read
Brazil is such a huge country that this book really only scratches the surface, but certainly makes one want to learn more
Kathleen Freeman
For me this was a very interesting look at Brazil, a country I don't know too much about.
Joao Siquenique
Sep 23, 2014 Joao Siquenique rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book of a travel through Brasil. Great insights and very captive story
Alex
Jan 21, 2015 Alex rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good read overall but a bit slow going at times
Paul
Oct 05, 2014 Paul rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An ode to Brazilian culture more than its nature, this book is more readable for the human, as opposed to the physical geographer. Yet even then one gets the sense of that not covered, that ignored, swept under the rug, as the somewhat eternally ever-optimistic Palin fails to discuss the darker side of Brazilian life. In short, as the text progresses it increasingly feels as though Palin has been commissioned to support Brazilian vanity. I hope 'New Europe' (which I am yet to read) presents a mo ...more
Mike
Dec 20, 2014 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This most amiable Python rambles about Brazil and then writes about his rambles. Well done anecdotal portrait of modern Brazil with some history thrown in all leavened by Palin's dry wit.
  • Billy Connolly's Route 66
  • Extreme Frontiers: Racing Across Canada from Newfoundland to the Rockies
  • Andy Murray: Seventy-Seven: My Road to Wimbledon Glory
  • My Heroes: Extraordinary Courage, Exceptional People
  • Everest The Hard Way
  • A Cry for Justice
  • A Thousand Sighs, A Thousand Revolts: Journeys in Kurdistan
  • Stones of Aran: Pilgrimage (Stones of Aran #1)
  • Longing for More: Daily Reflections on Finding God in the Rhythms of Life
  • America Unchained: A Freewheeling Roadtrip In Search Of Non-Corporate USA
  • London by Tube: A History of Underground Station Names
  • Trawler: A Journey Through the North Atlantic
  • Attention All Shipping: A Journey Round the Shipping Forecast
  • Walking Home: A Poet's Journey
  • Chasing the Devil: The Search for Africa's Fighting Spirit
  • Pies and Prejudice: In Search of the North
  • A Season with Verona: Travels Around Italy in Search of Illusion, National Character . . . and Goals!
  • Mexico
Michael Edward Palin, CBE, is an English comedian, actor, writer and television presenter best known for being one of the members of the comedy group Monty Python and for his travel documentaries.

Palin wrote most of his material with Terry Jones. Before Monty Python, they had worked on other shows such as The Ken Dodd Show, The Frost Report and Do Not Adjust Your Set. Palin appeared in some of the
More about Michael Palin...