Brazil

Brazil

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  106 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Michael Palin has traveled around the world, exploring countless countriesfor the BBC. Now, Palin treks Brazil for the first time for a new BBCseries, which went on the air in October 2012,and discovers the incredible diversity of this nation, one of four new global superpowers. From the Venezuelan border and the forests of the Lost World to the headwaters of the Xingu, Pa...more
Published August 20th 2013 by Thomas Dunne Books (first published October 1st 2012)

Faith Spinks
It was nice to revisit my other home of Brazil through this Michael Palin book. Of course, he has visited parts of Brazil which i have not and he didn't visit the place I love and lived in for 5 years so it wasn't exactly a trip down memory lane.

There were a few comments he made which I questioned but also a few which just made me laugh out loud. Such as "Brazil is not a quiet country", which reminded me of how overwhelmed I sometimes felt by all the noise in brazila and yet how hard I used to...more
Stephen
witty and educational book by the master of travelogues michael palin about the lastest series aired on BBC televison also come with some lovely and beautiful photos as well, well worth exploring brazil the most popular country over the few years in print and photos.
Jb
Having spent half a year (not sequential) as a volunteer as a consultant with a service organization in Brazil, when I spotted this tome on the new book shelf at the public library it attracted my attention. It’s a light-hearted travelogue with a BBC filming crew. Palin covers a wide variety of geographic and human experiences. Northeast: Mix of races and cultures that produced music, dance and food that symbolize the country. Rio: Contrast between party town and appalling violence. The South: T...more
Richard
I've read almost all of Michael Palin's travel books. The pictures are always excellent. The text is serviceable, though as a big Monty Python fan, I usually feel it could have been funnier and more ambitious. I lived in Brazil for eight years, so this is the only time I'd actually been to most of the places he wrote about. That made me even more interested but resulted in a less adventurous reading experience. Palin remains affable and positive throughout, which makes him a desirable traveling...more
Brian Saul
Michael Palin piqued my long-standing interest to visit all parts of this fascinating country. I'll make it there someday. His writing style and his manner correspond with mine, I believe. Our bank balances, however, differ tremendously. I doubt I'll get to experience first-hand all of what he was able to do, nor to be able to travel *anywhere* for 75 days in a row. So I read about it, and his "Brazil" is, indeed, a good read.
Anna
Brazil is one of the BRIC countries and its profile is about to go up even more with the FIFA world cup next year and the 2016 summer Olympics. Michael Palin is always to charming and informative and respectful and irreverent. He may not do great Brazilian accents but he sure did a perfect New Zealand one! Palin floats down the Amazon in a small boat visiting tiny villages, dances with the Yanomami, marches in a gay pride demonstration in Rio and wanders famous Brazilian beaches filled with scan...more
Chris
The book to accompany the TV series. Michael Palin writes wonderfully, and describes the sights, sounds, tastes and smells in far more detail than can be shown on the TV! An excellent introduction to the vast country that is Brazil, from bush tribes to city dwellers and everything in between, an amazingly diverse and endlessly fascinating country.
My only minor quibble is that some of the photos seemed on the small side for the detail they contained. It appears that with ever-increasing resolutio...more
Mel
Is this a travel book? Is this a photo book? Is this a book in which you envy the author his adventures? All of the above. I'm going on record: going to Brazil next!
Nikola Jankovic
I want to go to Brazil now! Obviously interesting and huge country, but I have a feeling now that not only I want to visit it, i would like to live there - if I would be deciding to move abroad. I listened to an audio book is ok for narration, but for this kind of content, I was missing some maps and photos - I presume Brazil would then look even more interesting.
Garvan
I enjoy reading the books of Michael Palin . Brazil is no exception . Learnt a lot about the country . Easy yo read and very enjoyable
Linda
Although (metaphorically speaking) I'll follow Michael anywhere, I was underwhelmed by this destination. I didn't feel a connection with the country or its people.
Paul Reece
An ode to Brazilian culture more than its nature, this book is more readable for the human, as opposed to the physical geographer. Yet even then one gets the sense of that not covered, that ignored, swept under the rug, as the somewhat eternally ever-optimistic Palin fails to discuss the darker side of Brazilian life. In short, as the text progresses it increasingly feels as though Palin has been commissioned to support Brazilian vanity. I hope 'New Europe' (which I am yet to read) presents a mo...more
Margaret Sankey
After -25 in Fargo, it is a pleasure to reads this lavishly illustrated companion guide to Palin's new BBC travelogue about Brazil--he seems like a delightful person, and spends the trip finding interesting people and talking to them about their lives.
Joel Wende
Palin at his best here. Witty and wonderful!! Hopeful and enthusiastic. Just like the Brazilians he is meeting!

I would recommend reading this before watching the accompanying TV series. From past experience with Palin travel books/series, the book provides so much more context and character development than the TV series. Just due to the time restraints of TV programming!
Doug
What a pleasure to read...essentially a travelogue of Palin's two months in Brazil. Provides an authentic portrayal of the culture, the people, the geography. Like the coutry itself, the book is lighthearted, fun to read, with an undercurrent of genuine concern for the well-being of all people in a highly disparate populace.
Dave
Fascinating insight into one of the most diverse countries in the world.
Hildeberto
"As we've travelled round I've been struck by how little curiosity the Brazilians seem to have about their own country. Many times in my journey I've wanted to share with them beauties we've seen here. And more often than not my Brazilian friends nod their heads politely and ask, 'What's it like?'"
Sarah Jean
I loved this book! It's a lovely overview of a country with so much variety. Beautiful photos and honest, personal stories make the journey come alive. Well worth a read even if you're not planning a trip to Brazil, just to get a flavour of the place.
Chris Steeden
A wonderful book with beautiful photos to go along with Palin's text. Palin does not deviate at all from his normal style of travelogue and why should he. It works. I would highly recommend this book to anyone that is destined for a holiday in Brazil.
Richard
This book was with me most of 2013; it is a good companion to the excellent BBC travel series with the same title with Michael Palin. It enhances those programmes and the text is wonderfully illustrated by photographs throughout the book.
Linda Nichols
Since I know I'll never be able to travel to such wonderful places, I love reading other people's stories of them. I enjoyed this book very much and recommend it to those of you who enjoy travel reading.
Brendan Perry
A great guide to the history, culture and peoples of Brazil. Before I read this I thought I wanted to go to Brazil, now I'm certain that it's definitely still on the list.
Rrrrrron
Enjoyable. Pretty well written and good introduction to brazil. But he does come across as very liberal and very british. You can find this amusing or annoying - I reacted both ways depending on the context.
Mira
Anywhere Michael Palin goes, you want to follow... :)
Vikas Datta
A wonderful and unvarnished account of the various strands that make up this awesome continent-like country...
Marc
Marc marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Bob
Bob marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Michael Edward Palin, CBE, is an English comedian, actor, writer and television presenter best known for being one of the members of the comedy group Monty Python and for his travel documentaries.

Palin wrote most of his material with Terry Jones. Before Monty Python, they had worked on other shows such as The Ken Dodd Show, The Frost Report and Do Not Adjust Your Set. Palin appeared in some of the...more
More about Michael Palin...
Around the World in 80 Days: Companion to the Pbs Series (Best of the BBC) Himalaya Diaries: The Python Years, 1969-1979 (Palin Diaries, #1) Full circle Sahara