Start by marking “The Last Man” as Want to Read:
The Last Man

The Last Man

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  222 ratings  ·  44 reviews
A woman goes missing, sending a young nuclear engineer on a quest deep into the Judean desert to the legendary fortress of Masada, where secrets are concealed

When a young Israeli woman suddenly goes missing, her boyfriend, an American nuclear engineer, suspectsher disappearance is connected to her tantalizing theory about the haunting fortress of Masada. He decides to trav
Published May 22nd 2012 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about The Last Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Man

Kristin Lundgren
This book didn't quite fit into any standard "tags." It is an artifact thriller, but also a nuclear weapons thriller, a spy thriller, etc. It is about an American's quest to find out what really happened on Masada, or Métsada as it is called in Israel. Our hero has a theory about why the people chose to commit mass suicide/murder and leave no survivors (although a couple of women and children did make it out alive), when the Romans finally were about to crash through the siege wall after 2 1/2 y ...more
Maurice J
Aug 16, 2012 Maurice J is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Not happy about the incredible detail.

Deutermann seems compelled to include ever miniscule fact he learned about Masada--and I think he repeats some of them, but there's so much it's hard to know.

I'm waiting for the love story to develop between the depressed widow and the protagonist who lost his girl-friend but doesn't know how or is it why she disappeared.

Will he discover the treasures and religious relics from the Jerusalem temple that were hidden away under Masada? Will she discover his att
Rob Roy
The sheer enormity of this plot boggles the mind. The book is set at the fortress of Masada in Israel which you will learn much about from the book. As in any good thriller, there are twists upon twists, but a few here leave you breathless. Yes, the prose becomes a bit turgid at points, but the action quickly takes over. The book is a departure from his prior works, but fans need not be bothered. Once you put the book down, you will still be wondering.
Mark
A great book? No. A good book? Not particularly. But a fun book. Yes.

The Last Man hinges on Masada and the Roman conquest of Jerusalem, spies, buried treasure, and the possibility of nuclear destruction. As such, the novel provides pleasure on cold, dark, winter evenings.
Addison Public Library

An engineer at loose ends with his life decides to go to Masada to test a theory about the storied battle with the Roman empire. His hidden agenda brings him into conflict with his "minder," an embittered widow, with Israeli intelligence, and every other branch of government concerned with security. A facinating Old Testament/modern era saga of the legend of Masada.

Check out this book today!
Pamela
Phenomenal - P.T. Deutermann has the gifted ability to resurrect and infuse epic historical events with contemporary paralleling scenarios of relevant intrigue. “The Last Man” is not only an excellent example of Deutermann’s infusing talents, but also a prime example of his ability to draw readers in with an impacting slow-burn punch and then continually build suspense through strong well-developed characters and a tight-concise complex plot, all within crisply-finite superb writing.

Warning to
David Erickson
Jun 08, 2013 David Erickson rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to David by: no one
A former nuclear engineer, David Hall, believes that Masada, an ancient historical site in Israel, hides a treasure of immense historical value and he’s determined to find it. What he doesn’t know is that Masada also holds a modern secret that could threaten regional stability.

After months of bureaucratic intransigence he’s finally given permission to visit the holy site, but he’s not allowed to dig. David Hall’s desire to violate this limitation sets the story in motion, including being assigne
Chris Lytle
So much promise but in the end a story that gets lost in the details.

Working with an interesting premise and a dynamic opening focused on the last hours of the Jewish resistance at Masada in 73 AD the novel loses some traction when it jumps to the present. Our protoganist David Hall, the crafty and morally confused American scientist, is too angular and calculated to appreciate. His co-star, the Israili archeologist Judith Reesner, proves more compelling but is never given enough stage time to
Jeanne
David Hall has a lot of free time on his hands after he loses his job for whistle-blowing on some heavy water his company sold somewhere it shouldn't have. With a high settlement for wrongful termination in his bank account, Hall decides to go to Israel and see if he can prove an ex-girlfriend's theory about hidden treasures at Masada. He's not exactly forthcoming to the officials as to what he's doing there and, when he's given a minder, he has to work around Dr. Judith Ressner, a beautiful arc ...more
Brenda Fryland
Very impressed with this author! The writing was beautiful and the historical details and location incredibly interesting. Makes me want to research Masada, Roman legions, even heavy water so I can better understand the intricacies of the story.

And that's why I can't give it 5 stars -- because even though the book was full of information, I still come away not quite understanding the whole premise. I get it enough that I can suspend disbelief and accept it, but I'd rather fully understand.

A few
Dennis Brown
It is just not worth the effort. It takes half the book before you begin to figure out what is going on or why it matters. His descriptions of physical environments are completely inadequate and the plot stretches credulity.. It's just not worth the labor to get through this book.
Kate
History tells us of the mass suicide committed in the first century by the Jews who fled the Roman destruction of the temple in Jerusalem to the mountain of Madada in the dessert. What if there was something more to the story? That is the premise of this story. Having visited Madada and seen the site made this bookie real to me. Central character David, a non-Jew, decides to play spy based on a theory proposed by a now-missing girlfriend. The theory was that there was another reason, a hidden tr ...more
Phil Sutton
This story is a fiction story based on some of the historical history of Israel. It is based around Masada which alone is a great character in this book. There are a lot of detailed facts in this story and I did skim over these a bit but I found the actual story great and a good read.
It is fiction and read that way it is a really good story based on 2 people thrown together with "Baggage"and then getting together to solve the riddle of Masada. Obviously it at times is a little stretched but that
Chuck
P.T. is one of my favorite authors. This effort didn't quite measure up for me. The plot is fascinating albeit unlikely. This is a story about Masada, the mountain fortress where 960 Jews retreated at the end of their revolt against the Roman Empire. The Romans surrounded Masada with it's Tenth Legion and lay siege to it for two and a half years. When it became apparent that the Romans were going to wipe them out the Jews made a mass suicide pact. The last man was designated to make sure everyon ...more
Elaine Mayes
This book takes a very long time to get going; I was on the edge of abandoning it several times. But finally - at about the 60% mark - the action opened up and I was flipping pages, eager to see what would happen next.
William Hill
Another thriller by Deutermann. Interesting story, fast paced, engaging characters, all with a fair dose of ancient Jewish history. Worthy of your time if you are into thriller/novels.
Dan Downing
In the tradition of Hammond Innes and Desmond Bagley, Deutermann has crafted an adventure yarn which creates suspense and evokes the terrific fears that belong to field and jungle dwellers.
Much of the action takes place at night. In a desert next to a sea. Or in a cave. Or underwater. That is, in places dangerous to humans. Of course, the greatest danger to humans is other humans (baring microbes), and there is plenty of human menace and doubling dealing here.
With enough expert testimony to hold
Michael
This one didn't quite do it for me. It took a long time for any real story to get going, nearly 150 pages, and I skipped a lot of narration and never lost any important plot details. When the story finally got interesting, my hope rose that there would be a cool twist or two. But no, not really. The characters were fairly transparent, the bad guy was really the bad gut and the good guys were the god guys. Nothing ' surprising, so there was no real fun in the story. And the "historical" revelatio ...more
Wendy Gray
read over 150 pages and didn't care
Darren Vincent
Aug 13, 2012 Darren Vincent marked it as quit-reading  ·  review of another edition
This is the earliest I have given up on a book in a long time, possibly ever. I rarely give up on books at all. The intro chapter was way too long and just failed to set a hook. I don't know if it was the plot or the style of writing that I could not get on board with, but I just didn't feel any sort of pull from this book.

I have read some other reviews that might make me go back and give it another chance. But for now, I am just walking away from it.
Debby Rubin
I've been to Masada, climbed both up and down the mountain, heard the history, and enjoyed visualizing the newly discovered cistern. I found the book difficult to put down as the story became more involved and tense. I have to admit that I found the ending confusing because I'm Jewish and I never heard of the wine bowl, and therefore did not understand its ultimate significance to the story. After a bit of research that part was resolved.
Jack
Interesting plot, but it took a really long time to develop. Almost lost interest, but I'm glad I stuck with it. Would have been a 4 if it had moved a little faster.
Jonathan Funk
A story about a quest for lost Jewish treasures from the time of Herod.

The story would earn 4 stars from me, but the prose knocks it down the 3. I'm afraid the author was a bit too loquacious about the details of archaeological investigate, which tended to distract from the story of the people and his findings. Those details are probably interesting to archaeologists, but not to the average reader.
Susan
This novel offers us a story of Political intrigue and Mystery in the Middle East. It takes us from the Jewish revolt against Rome and the story of Masada, to contemporary issues around Nuclear weapons. There is a little romance thrown in for good measure. I really enjoyed the mystery as well as the history. A great read.
Jason
i liked it, it was pretty good. it is similar to a Cussler, similar style of story, but the writing is different, and I am not sure if it is better or worse (and I am a BIG Cussler fan).

If you like Cussler, you will like this.
Sherri Vigil
Having been physically to Masada, The detail just brought back the experience. I wasn't wowed by the "thriller" aspect of the plot. It also moved quite slowly and was a bit predictable. Not bad but not what I expected.

Kari
Pretty good. A lot of description and detail, but it was a fun adventure and ended well. Don't know if I could have gotten through it if it was a written book... listened to the playaway audio version. Glad I finished though!
Linda
Intriguing plot. Lots of adventure and realistic take on political scene in which it all transpires. Dragged in places...too much technical stuff. The bowl was a thought-provoking element, but it didn't need to glow.
Bonnie Beechler
Fascinating insight into the history of the holy land and the current history in the making. The hero is altogether too bold and I am at the point in the book where I want to yell NO GO BACK. That's how good it is.
  • Bluegrass : A True Story of Murder in Small-Town Kentucky
  • The Hoax
  • Godsent: A Thriller
  • Balance of Power (Jim Dillon, #1)
  • Dead Anyway
  • The Art of the Steal: How to Protect Yourself and Your Business from Fraud, America's #1 Crime
  • Get Capone: The Secret Plot That Captured America's Most Wanted Gangster
  • Thick as Thieves
  • Don't Ever Get Old (Buck Schatz, #1)
  • Assumed Identity
  • Dreamland (Dreamland, #1)
  • Island
  • Syndrome E
  • Undetectable (Great Minds Thriller, #2)
  • The Last Ember
  • The Rock Hole: A Red River Mystery
  • Blood Lies (Rogue Warrior, #17)
  • The Shadow of a Great Rock: A Literary Appreciation of the King James Bible
P. T. Deutermann is a retired Navy captain and has served in the joint Chiefs of Staff as an arms control specialist. He is the author of sixteen novels, and lives in North Carolina. His World War II adventure novel Pacific Glory won the W. Y. Boyd Literary Award for Excellence in Military Fiction, administered by the American Library Association. His most recent novel is Ghosts of Bungo Suido, pu ...more
More about P.T. Deutermann...
The Cat Dancers (Cam Richter, #1) Spider Mountain (Cam Richter, #2) Hunting Season Pacific Glory (World War 2 Navy) Nightwalkers (Cam Richter, #4)