Cats Behaving Badly: Why Cats Do the Naughty Things They Do

Cats Behaving Badly: Why Cats Do the Naughty Things They Do

3.32 of 5 stars 3.32  ·  rating details  ·  66 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Cats that bite, cats that won't eat, cats that won't stop eating. Cat expert Celia Haddon has seen it all, and, in Cats BehavingBadly,anessential guide to cat behavior, she teaches readers how to turn even the grumpiest cat into a perfectly lovable animal.

One of today’s foremost feline experts, Haddonprovides practical solutions to a myriad of perplexing situations that o...more
Published July 16th 2013 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Cats Behaving Badly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cats Behaving Badly

Mimi
I had no idea that there was such a difference between British cats and American cats, but this book really brought home that the difference is vast. Well, not in the cats themselves, but in the behavior expectations. In England, it is expected that your cats will be indoor/outdoor and it is considered cruel to keep them as indoor only pets.
Therefore, a lot of this book was about how to keep your cat from rehoming themselves, and how to add more cats to your household.
The stories were cute and...more
Pamela
A bit of fluff, occasionally funny - sort of like a kitten!
Wouter
This book made me smile and chuckle a lot, and that's the only reason it got 4 stars. The personal cat-tales of cat-owners are simply hilarious and most of the time, as a cat-owner myself, I can relate - that's the best part. I now know a little bit more about cat behavior, but not much. It's not really scientificly explained how and why, but I didn't expect that this book would do such a thing.
Don't expect too much, it's entertaining and it's a quick read, reviews here are a bit harsh to my op...more
Jacki
*Check out http://www.infinitereads.com for other reviews and sundry thoughts!*

Have you ever wondered why your cat nips you unexpectedly? Has she suddenly decided that she doesn't want to use her litter box? Or are you wondering how to add a second feline to your household without a bona fide catfight? In her 11 years as a "pet agony aunt" for the Daily Telegraph, cat expert Celia Haddon (The Joy of Cats) gave answers to these predicaments and many more; her wisdom has now been collected in Cat...more
Jay
Early thoughts: I sure hope I can get through this book. I want to learn more about my cat, but the author is coming off less as a felinophile and more as a mysocanine. Why can't we all just get along?

Okay, I finally got sick and had the time to finish this book. The mysocaninity faded after the first part of the book and didn't resurface until the end, when she was concluding why cats are so loved. I did get a lot of useful tips on cat care in this book.. many things I didn't know that are goin...more
Todd Martin
Cats Behaving Badly is a book about cat behavior and methods for correcting unwanted behaviors. I picked up the book from the library on a whim, not because my cats are bad, but because I wanted a photo of them attempting to gnaw on the book (I thought that would be pretty funny). With that said, I did learn a few things about feline behavior although I have two criticisms.
1) Haddon advocates that all cats be outdoor animals and implies that your pet lives are significantly diminished by being k...more
Clarissa
This had some interesting information on cats, especially what to do if your cat doesn't get along with another cat in your household.

The author is British, and in England it is considered very important that cats be allowed to go outside and hunt. I live in a city apartment in a very urban environment, my cat could not possibly go outside, so that made me feel like a bad cat owner. I have also been reading about how cats are helping to make several native species of birds go extinct here in th...more
For some reason I was under the impression that books about cat behavior didn't exist, so I was super surprised and pleased to find this one (and then all the others to which this one led). Unfortunately I can't give this book more than 2.5 stars because it felt like all the cats this author has known have been completely different from all the cats I've known, but I did take away a few tips that might help my three enemy cats be a bit more tolerant of each other (although they are already much...more
Maegan
I have never disagreed more strongly with a book on cat care. Cats do not need to go outside. I'm sure this is a cultural difference; evidently in Great Britain it is encouraged to allow them to go out. But the author freely admits that this may lead to a shorter life span, and even related a tale where she went looking for a cat that she never found again.
I couldn't stand that.
The only thing I agreed with was putting crinkly paper in the bottom of a box so the cat likes to play in it.
O'Fallon Public Library
"Cats that bite, cats that won't eat, cats that won't stop eating. Cat expert Celia Haddon has seen it all, and, in Cats Behaving Badly, an essential guide to cat behavior, she teaches readers how to turn even the grumpiest cat into a perfectly lovable animal." -Newport Public Library (Newport, Rhode Island).
Jinnie
I read this over the course of a 12 hour travel day. A quick read, some good information. I'm not really a cat person but happen to be living with two of them so wanted some insight. I can't say I learned anything particularly new or insightful but it was a pleasant enough read.
Susan
I thought I knew everything there was to know about cats after all tehse years but I was mistaken. Lots of good information here. Most important takeaway: cats are completely unlike dogs, completely unlike us. We have to accept them as themselves.
Susan Wardzala
Aug 08, 2012 Susan Wardzala is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
This is exactly what I was looking for. I wanted to find out more about cat behavior patterns and this seems to meet the criteria. When I read it, I think that is what my cats are doing! Hope it stays this way as I just started it.
Jenny
Fun! I only read the relevant bits, but it was a fun and funny book and I learned some stuff about my cat and I love cats/my cat a lot.
Gingerkat
Amusingly written, episodic. I don't usually do nonfiction, but sometimes my cat behaves badly, so...
Becca
I've got cats, so I read this. So what? Don't judge me!
Mary Nesbitt-larking
Mary Nesbitt-larking marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
"I have loved animals from as far back as I can remember", writes Celia Haddon. "As a child, I realised that some animals suffered at the hands of ignorant humans. To right this I have published several books about cats. Cats make me laugh. We humans don't really understand them, though. If we did, they would have a happier life.

For 20 years I wrote about companion animals (pets) for the Daily Tel...more
More about Celia Haddon...
Tilly: The Ugliest Cat: How I Rescued Her and She Rescued Me One Hundred Ways for a Cat to Train Its Human One Hundred Secret Thoughts Cats Have about Humans The Faerie Kingdom Chats with Cats: How to Read Your Cat's Mind