Start by marking “Cuts Through Bone: A Mystery (Guthrie and Vasquez Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
Cuts Through Bone: A Mystery (Guthrie and Vasquez Mystery, #1)

Cuts Through Bone: A Mystery (Guthrie and Vasquez Mystery #1)

Featured in The New York Times Magazine!
Winner of the PWA Best First Private Eye Novel Competition

At first, Rachel Vasquez found her new job working for private detective Clayton Guthrie promising. He got her a gun and a license and took her to target practice. But lately she's just been doing surveillance, and it's not her idea of an exciting time. She is contemplating qu
Published May 14th 2013 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about Cuts Through Bone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cuts Through Bone

Dianne
Clayton Guthrie is a middle-aged, life-hardened detective, street-wise and well-known for both his gift for getting to the truth and his soft heart. His sidekick is the young, tough and beautiful Rachel Vasquez. As Guthrie’s protégé, Vasquez learns quick, becomes bored fast, and has to learn the idea of having patienc
Elaine Mulligan
Apr 13, 2014 Elaine Mulligan rated it it was ok
The prose can be a bit over the top, Winner of the St. Martin's Press / Minotaur Private Eye Writer's Of America (the group that presents the Shamus Award) Best First Private Eye Novel.

Greg Olsen, an Iraqi veteran, is arrested for the murder of his fiancée, Columbia University coed Camille Bowman. All the forensic evidence points to him. The only `potential' witness to the crime is a MIA vagrant. The police also want to link Greg to a series of murders. Camille's BFF hires NYC PI Clayton Guthrie
Julie G
May 17, 2013 Julie G rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Rachel Vasquez does not want to go to college. So, when Clayton Guthrie offers her a well-paying job as a PI, she jumps at the chance. As the story opens, this may not have been such a great idea, after all.

Other than getting a gun and lots of time at the range, Rachel is bored out of her mind. On the day she's decided to quit, they finally get a case that gets her out of the office and, quickly, in over her head.

Clayton Guthrie is a little man, a fact that is pointed out ad nauseum, who runs th
Jacqui
Jul 18, 2013 Jacqui rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller-mystery
If you are tired of the typical thrillers from the usual voices, read Alaric Hunt's debut novel, "Cuts Through Bone" ( Minotaur Books 2013). Aside from the fact that the story deals with detectives, murdered innocents, and the good guys are flawed, there's nothing usual about this book.

The story deals with a gritty older detective who's breaking in a raw new female partner. As luck would have it, a serial murder falls in their laps so her learning curve accelerates and we get to see the many tri
Kathy Martin
May 04, 2013 Kathy Martin rated it liked it
Alaric Hunt channels Dashiell Hammett and Raymond Chandler in this mystery that is reminiscent of the hard-boiled detective stories of the 1930s and 40s. However, Hunt does bring the mystery up to the present by adding computers, cell phones and a young female Puerto Rican assistant to our hard-boiled detective.

Raquel Vasquez is new to the detective business. All she has done so far is learn to shoot and learn to observe. Surveillance isn't holding her attention though. When her boss Clayton Gut
Nancy
Apr 20, 2013 Nancy rated it liked it
A Rather Slow PI Novel

Greg Olsen, an Iraqi veteran, is accused of killing his girl friend, Camille Bowman. Michelle Tompkins, a friend of both Olsen and Bowman doesn't believe he's guilty and hires Clayton Guthrie and his female Puerto Rican assistant, Rachel Vasquez, to investigate the crime.

Much of the action in the book involves surveillance and educating Rachael in the need for patience and close observation. A potential witness, Ghost Eddie, is found, but disappears. As we follow Guthrie a
Darcia Helle
I've long been a fan of PI novels and, since this book won the PWA Best First Private Eye Novel Competition, I expected to love it. I didn't.

First, there is absolutely no character development. We follow the PI and his very young sidekick through the story, but I wasn't able to ever really connect with either character. I wanted to know more about who they were and what drove their behavior.

Second, all the characters had the same speaking style. This is partly a reflection of the lack of charac
Judy
Apr 08, 2016 Judy rated it liked it
I found the book difficult to understand, due, I believe to the multitude of characters and the lingo of the characters, street people,Hispanics and military. But I am not sorry that I stuck it out.
Marcia
May 15, 2013 Marcia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I won this book from Goodreads. It is one of the best written suspense novels I have read in years. The main character Clayton Guthrie is a little like Harry Bosch. He is a small man, but extremely capable. The title is explained just before the end. The setting descriptions are extremely well done. The author does not rely solely on sight, but also describes the sounds and smells, which is a technique not used much today, although Sue Grafton adds it to her novels. The action strings out a bit ...more
Claire G
Jan 11, 2014 Claire G marked it as to-read
Now I am not usually one for mysteries, though I am beginning to branch out a little with reading, but let's call this morbid curiosity.

I'm curious about the book. So, the book and his actual crime are in no way connected, but it still makes a girl a little more curious that a synopsis usually would.
Naomi
Aug 10, 2013 Naomi rated it liked it
Read my full review: http://bit.ly/14BYNUX

My rating: 3 Stars on Amazon/Goodreads. Realistically, more like 2.5 stars

My opinion: I could BARELY warm up to this book. This was a very short book that should have realistically taken me less than a day to read, but it ended up taking me several days to read it. I agree with other reviewers who have stated they felt they were reading a Phillip Marlow story because of the language choices that the author used, as well as the fact that it was very heavi
Ellen
Jul 03, 2016 Ellen rated it really liked it
It was slow to start but once it got going the characters were interesting and the plot was developed well.
Annie Seaman
Dec 14, 2015 Annie Seaman rated it liked it
Good story but the dialogue got a bit clunky at times.
Rick Hollis
Jun 12, 2014 Rick Hollis rated it liked it
Shelves: suspense-mystery
Interesting mystery, funny in a way, without being a comedy.
Autumn
Apr 20, 2015 Autumn added it
DNF
Kalen
Jan 17, 2014 Kalen marked it as to-read
Shelves: did-not-finish
I want to read this one but I'm not in the mood for it right now. I only managed 30 pages in 3 days.
Sarah Haines
Jan 12, 2014 Sarah Haines marked it as to-read
Author a convicted killer. Interesting. Exploding to read this!
Chandler
Sep 01, 2014 Chandler rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I must say, Cuts Through Bone by debut author Alaric Hunt surprised me with its intensity and magnetic pull from start to finish! I’m ready to re-join the PI mystery groupies again! I've mainly been reading romance genre with a little suspense in them but I think it might be time to mix it up a bit!
Jaye
Jan 28, 2015 Jaye rated it really liked it
I gave this one four stars, but I have mixed feelings about the book. I was attracted to this book by a story I read in The New York Times Magazine last year.

I hope Mr. Hunt is permitted to write more of these.
Jan
Feb 21, 2014 Jan rated it really liked it
The book was surprisingly suspenseful but I agree with many reviewers that the plot could have been expanded and the characters developed more fully. Also found it troubling that the author is a man who's spent decades in prison and has decades more to go on his sentence.
Christa
Sep 05, 2014 Christa rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook-arc
This was a pretty good PI novel whose main characters were an older private investigator who was teaching the business to a young woman. Clayton and Rachel were both interesting characters, and I enjoyed the storyline. I wouldn't mind seeing this turn into a series.
Angela Risner
Sep 02, 2013 Angela Risner rated it did not like it
I tried, I really did. But this novel just couldn't hold my interest. The writing style felt off and it was difficult to keep track of the characters. My mom read it and said it was hard to get through the entire book.

Skip it.
Maggie
May 16, 2013 Maggie rated it it was ok
Shelves: first-reads
For a mystery, it was just too slow for me. I find myself consistently pulling away from the plot. Maybe it's just because mystery is just not my genre? Thank you to Alaric Hunt and Goodreads for the book!
Kelly
Oct 03, 2014 Kelly marked it as um-yeah
Shelves: first-reads
Won Cuts Through Bone from Goodreads First Reads. Did not get the book yet, but when I do, I will get to reading it soon. (:
KathyK
Oct 02, 2015 KathyK added it
ich kann das einfach nicht weiter lesen...dieser schreibstil macht mich wahnsinnig.
Marya
Aug 01, 2013 Marya rated it it was ok
liked the parts, not the whole
Jessica Jones
Jessica Jones marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
Jobber
Jobber added it
Sep 15, 2016
  • Blood Orange
  • The Death and Life of Sherlock Holmes
  • Sherlock Holmes and Young Winston: The Jubilee Plot
  • Never Laugh As a Hearse Goes By (Penny Branigan #5)
  • Next of Sin
  • The Detective's Muse: A Niall O'Huiginn Mystery
  • Touching Evil (Leila Marx, #1)
  • Sunset (John Bekker, #1)
  • In the Company of Wolves
  • Sandstorm
  • Detroit Shuffle
  • Personal Demons (The Jake Helman Files, #1)
  • Catspaw II (Blackheart, #2)
  • This is Rage: A Novel of Silicon Valley and Other Madness
  • Bloodstain (Jason Strong, Detective #2)
  • Skating Under the Wire (Rebecca Robbins, #4)
  • Mightier than the Sword (The Henry Bride Thrillers, #1)
  • The Last Witness
Alaric Hunt is a convicted murderer and arsonist. He plead guilty in 1988 after a student in Clemson, SC died from smoke inhalation after his brother started a fire to distract police from their robbery of a jewelry store.

Hunt's first novel, Cuts Through Bone, won the Best First Private Eye Novel Competition by The Private Eye Writers of America along with a $10,000 prize.

Hunt is serving a life s
More about Alaric Hunt...

Guthrie and Vasquez Mystery (2 books)
  • Godless Country: A Mystery (Guthrie and Vasquez Mystery, #2)