Start by marking “Cuts Through Bone: A Mystery (Guthrie and Vasquez Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
Cuts Through Bone: A Mystery (Guthrie and Vasquez Mystery, #1)

Cuts Through Bone: A Mystery (Guthrie and Vasquez Mystery #1)

2.87 of 5 stars 2.87  ·  rating details  ·  54 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Featured in The New York Times Magazine!
Winner of the PWABest First Private Eye Novel Competition

At first, Rachel Vasquez found her new job working for private detective Clayton Guthrie promising. He got her a gun and a license and took her to target practice. But lately she’s just been doing surveillance, and it’s nother idea of an exciting time. She is contemplating quit
Published May 14th 2013 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about Cuts Through Bone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cuts Through Bone

Dianne
Clayton Guthrie is a middle-aged, life-hardened detective, street-wise and well-known for both his gift for getting to the truth and his soft heart. His sidekick is the young, tough and beautiful Rachel Vasquez. As Guthrie’s protégé, Vasquez learns quick, becomes bored fast, and has to learn the idea of having patienc
Elaine Mulligan
The prose can be a bit over the top, Winner of the St. Martin's Press / Minotaur Private Eye Writer's Of America (the group that presents the Shamus Award) Best First Private Eye Novel.

Greg Olsen, an Iraqi veteran, is arrested for the murder of his fiancée, Columbia University coed Camille Bowman. All the forensic evidence points to him. The only `potential' witness to the crime is a MIA vagrant. The police also want to link Greg to a series of murders. Camille's BFF hires NYC PI Clayton Guthrie
Julie G
Rachel Vasquez does not want to go to college. So, when Clayton Guthrie offers her a well-paying job as a PI, she jumps at the chance. As the story opens, this may not have been such a great idea, after all.

Other than getting a gun and lots of time at the range, Rachel is bored out of her mind. On the day she's decided to quit, they finally get a case that gets her out of the office and, quickly, in over her head.

Clayton Guthrie is a little man, a fact that is pointed out ad nauseum, who runs th
Jacqui
If you are tired of the typical thrillers from the usual voices, read Alaric Hunt's debut novel, "Cuts Through Bone" ( Minotaur Books 2013). Aside from the fact that the story deals with detectives, murdered innocents, and the good guys are flawed, there's nothing usual about this book.

The story deals with a gritty older detective who's breaking in a raw new female partner. As luck would have it, a serial murder falls in their laps so her learning curve accelerates and we get to see the many tri
Kathy Martin
Alaric Hunt channels Dashiell Hammett and Raymond Chandler in this mystery that is reminiscent of the hard-boiled detective stories of the 1930s and 40s. However, Hunt does bring the mystery up to the present by adding computers, cell phones and a young female Puerto Rican assistant to our hard-boiled detective.

Raquel Vasquez is new to the detective business. All she has done so far is learn to shoot and learn to observe. Surveillance isn't holding her attention though. When her boss Clayton Gut
Nancy
A Rather Slow PI Novel

Greg Olsen, an Iraqi veteran, is accused of killing his girl friend, Camille Bowman. Michelle Tompkins, a friend of both Olsen and Bowman doesn't believe he's guilty and hires Clayton Guthrie and his female Puerto Rican assistant, Rachel Vasquez, to investigate the crime.

Much of the action in the book involves surveillance and educating Rachael in the need for patience and close observation. A potential witness, Ghost Eddie, is found, but disappears. As we follow Guthrie a
Darcia Helle
I've long been a fan of PI novels and, since this book won the PWA Best First Private Eye Novel Competition, I expected to love it. I didn't.

First, there is absolutely no character development. We follow the PI and his very young sidekick through the story, but I wasn't able to ever really connect with either character. I wanted to know more about who they were and what drove their behavior.

Second, all the characters had the same speaking style. This is partly a reflection of the lack of charac
Marcia
I won this book from Goodreads. It is one of the best written suspense novels I have read in years. The main character Clayton Guthrie is a little like Harry Bosch. He is a small man, but extremely capable. The title is explained just before the end. The setting descriptions are extremely well done. The author does not rely solely on sight, but also describes the sounds and smells, which is a technique not used much today, although Sue Grafton adds it to her novels. The action strings out a bit ...more
Claire Gamblin
Jan 11, 2014 Claire Gamblin marked it as to-read
Now I am not usually one for mysteries, though I am beginning to branch out a little with reading, but let's call this morbid curiosity.

I'm curious about the book. So, the book and his actual crime are in no way connected, but it still makes a girl a little more curious that a synopsis usually would.
Naomi
Read my full review: http://bit.ly/14BYNUX

My rating: 3 Stars on Amazon/Goodreads. Realistically, more like 2.5 stars

My opinion: I could BARELY warm up to this book. This was a very short book that should have realistically taken me less than a day to read, but it ended up taking me several days to read it. I agree with other reviewers who have stated they felt they were reading a Phillip Marlow story because of the language choices that the author used, as well as the fact that it was very heavi
Rick Hollis
Interesting mystery, funny in a way, without being a comedy.
Kalen
Jan 17, 2014 Kalen marked it as to-read
Shelves: did-not-finish
I want to read this one but I'm not in the mood for it right now. I only managed 30 pages in 3 days.
Sarah Haines
Jan 12, 2014 Sarah Haines marked it as to-read
Author a convicted killer. Interesting. Exploding to read this!
Chandler
I must say, Cuts Through Bone by debut author Alaric Hunt surprised me with its intensity and magnetic pull from start to finish! I’m ready to re-join the PI mystery groupies again! I've mainly been reading romance genre with a little suspense in them but I think it might be time to mix it up a bit!
Jan
The book was surprisingly suspenseful but I agree with many reviewers that the plot could have been expanded and the characters developed more fully. Also found it troubling that the author is a man who's spent decades in prison and has decades more to go on his sentence.
Christa
This was a pretty good PI novel whose main characters were an older private investigator who was teaching the business to a young woman. Clayton and Rachel were both interesting characters, and I enjoyed the storyline. I wouldn't mind seeing this turn into a series.
Angela Risner
I tried, I really did. But this novel just couldn't hold my interest. The writing style felt off and it was difficult to keep track of the characters. My mom read it and said it was hard to get through the entire book.

Skip it.
Maggie
For a mystery, it was just too slow for me. I find myself consistently pulling away from the plot. Maybe it's just because mystery is just not my genre? Thank you to Alaric Hunt and Goodreads for the book!
Kelly
Oct 03, 2014 Kelly marked it as um-yeah
Shelves: first-reads
Won Cuts Through Bone from Goodreads First Reads. Did not get the book yet, but when I do, I will get to reading it soon. (:
Marya
liked the parts, not the whole
Slightly Devious
Slightly Devious marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
George Hall
George Hall marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
Abbie B
Abbie B marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
Izzy
Izzy added it
Sep 11, 2014
Rana Usama
Rana Usama marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Amelia
Amelia marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
  • Blood Orange
  • In the Company of Wolves
  • Next of Sin
  • Touching Evil (Leila Marx, #1)
  • Forces From Within & Without
  • Never Laugh As a Hearse Goes By (Penny Branigan #5)
  • The Last Clinic (Darla Cavannah Mysteries, #1)
  • Sons and Princes
  • Detroit Shuffle
  • Sunset: A John Bekker Mystery (John Bekker, #1)
  • Sherlock Holmes and Young Winston: The Jubilee Plot
  • Sandstorm
  • The Death and Life of Sherlock Holmes
  • Femme Fatale (Irene Adler, #7)
  • Deadly Ruse: A Mac McClellan Mystery
  • Lethal Journey
  • Bloodstain (Jason Strong Detective #2)
  • Good As Gone (Simon Fisk, #1)
Alaric Hunt is a convicted murderer and arsonist. He plead guilty in 1988 after a student in Clemson, SC died from smoke inhalation after his brother started a fire to distract police from their robbery of a jewelry store.

Hunt's first novel, Cuts Through Bone, won the Best First Private Eye Novel Competition by The Private Eye Writers of America along with a $10,000 prize.

Hunt is serving a life s
More about Alaric Hunt...
Die Stadt der toten Mädchen Godless Country: A Mystery (Guthrie and Vasquez Mystery, #2)