Start by marking “Runaway Man (Benji Golden, #1)” as Want to Read:
Runaway Man (Benji Golden, #1)

Runaway Man (Benji Golden #1)

3.65  ·  Rating Details  ·  182 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
Benji Golden works in his family's struggling mom-and-pop business above a twenty-four-hour diner on Broadway and West 103rd Street. Golden Legal Services, a private detective agency, was started by Benji's hero-cop father. The business is now run by Benji's mother, who used to be the only Jewish pole dancer in New York City, and is staffed by Lovely Rita, an eye-popping c ...more
Published August 20th 2013 by Minotaur Books (first published June 4th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Runaway Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Runaway Man

Patti
Mar 28, 2014 Patti rated it it was ok
At times, I thought this book was written by someone locked in a room with only a few outside resources to help guide him in his writing. For instance, maybe he only had old episodes of Seinfeld to watch and that's why the Jewish characters tended to be shrill. And he only was allowed to read John Grisham books so that is why the WASP lawyer was so, well, WASPy. His only other material was stuff written and drawn by 12 and 13 year old boys so he thought it was completely appropriate to send line ...more
Paul Pessolano
Aug 14, 2013 Paul Pessolano rated it liked it
“Runaway Man” by David Handler, published by Thomas Dunne Books.

Category – Mystery/Thriller

Bruce Weiner is missing (not that Weiner). Bruce is attending college, has disappeared and is keeping a secret from everyone but a precious few.

Benji Golden is a P.I. with Golden Legal Services, a firm that is run by his mother Abby who was once a Jewish pole dancer in New York. Their secretary, Lovely Rita, was a former lap dancer and he husband is serving a long prison sentence. This information alone s
Brent Burch
Apr 30, 2015 Brent Burch rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor, fiction, suspense
I finally found another series I'm absolutely going to be hooked by. This was a great, light romp of a private detective story; that is both funny and has quite the number of good twists and turns. Great read!
Alyce Rocco
May 21, 2016 Alyce Rocco rated it did not like it
Shelves: mystery
"I couldn't stop staring at Mr. Classy Guy's shoes," begins Runaway Man by David Handler; great way to hook readers who likely will want to know why and will keep on reading.

Benji "Bunny" is a private investigator working in the firm his former cop father started upon retirement. His mother, "who used to be the only Jewish pole dancer in New York City," kept the business going after his father died. The other employee is Lovely Rita, "and eye-popping computer wizard and a former lap dancer."

Sou
Gloria Feit
Feb 13, 2014 Gloria Feit rated it it was amazing
Benji Golden is the eponymous protagonist in this newest book by David Handler, so called because since he got his license as a p.i. he has gotten a reputation for tracking down young runaways. His late father was a hero cop, a homicide detective whose exploits were made famous when a movie was done about his capture of a subway serial killer who had terrorized New York City a couple of decades ago. Since his death a couple of years back the p.i. agency he’d founded is run by his widow, Abby, wh ...more
Beth
Apr 18, 2014 Beth rated it it was ok
Juneau Public Library

Young Benji Golden, one-time aspiring actor, is now working for the struggling family business, Golden Legal Services, which was started by his late father, an ex-cop, and his mother, former pole dancer. Benji and his mother are hired by a lawyer from a prestigious New York City firm to find a missing college student who they claim is due to inherit a large sum of money. However, once Benji delves into the case, he discovers that all is not what it seems.

So many crime fiction stories published c
Bonnie
Dec 18, 2013 Bonnie rated it liked it
The main reason I chose to read this book was the quote by Harlan Coben on the front: "Grab Runaway Man. I promise it will grab you back." Well, it certainly wasn't up to Coben's standards, but it was an enjoyable, light read.

Benji Golden works in the family private detective business that had been started by his hero-cop father. After his death, his mother and her best friend run the business. Benji specializes in tracking down teen runaways and, apparently, a large law office had heard of his
Stephen
Nov 25, 2013 Stephen rated it really liked it
Ben Golden ,or as he is affectionately called, Benji , helps his mother, Abby run a small private investigation firm,Golden Legal Services in upper Manhattan. The two of them plus a computer savvy secretary, Rita make up the entire staff. Enter a high priced attorney, one Peter Seymour, from a high priced law firm seeking their help.He wants the firm to locate, Bruce Weiner. Seymour refuses to name the party the has hired him but he suggests that a benefactor may have left Weiner a considerable ...more
Paulette Zander
Oct 29, 2013 Paulette Zander rated it it was amazing

I’ve enjoyed David Handler’s books for several decades, and no wonder: he is an Edgar winner (awarded by the Mystery Writers of America for distinguished work) and a Dilys award finalist (awarded by the Independent Mystery Booksellers Association).

Handler was one of the original writers for the Kate and Allie sitcom and other television projects. Fortunately for his book fans, he abandoned Hollywood and started writing novels. His first mystery series featured eight novels about a ghostwriter/a
Phyllis
May 21, 2014 Phyllis rated it really liked it
A fast fun read. Your beach book for the summer. I've never read this author before, but I will read him again. Reading this book relaxed me, the characters were believable and likable, and I didn't like leaving them for any length of time. A lot of good-natured kidding and amorous feelings. I enjoyed it. Written by a man but sounded just like chick-lit!
B Shea
Jan 25, 2016 B Shea rated it really liked it
This was a fun book to read. The plot moves quickly and the characters are very interesting. It is an easy read and the author keeps his sense of humor throughout. I look forward to reading more from David Handler and highly recommend this book to anyone enjoys a good mystery and some laughs mixed in.
Cindy
Sep 03, 2015 Cindy rated it really liked it
Debated between three and four stars but it was a great, easy read and made we want more so I gave it 4. Light-hearted for a mystery and the big confrontation at the end seemed a bit unrealistic but I look forward to more in the series!
Viccy
Feb 23, 2014 Viccy rated it liked it
Shelves: crime-fiction
Golden Legal Services is hired by the white-shoe law firm of Bates, Winslow and Seymour to find Bruce Weiner. Golden Legal Services consists of Abby Golden and Rita, former exotic dancers, and Benjamin Golden. When Benji manages to find Bruce, it's about an hour too late; he was shot with a 9-mil. Then the bodies really start piling up. Who is the pro killing everyone? Intricately plotted, but rather light on it's feet.
Vin Lunney
May 07, 2014 Vin Lunney rated it really liked it

A perfect example of how private investigator stories should be told, always in the first person with an ending you shouldn't see coming. Handler doesn't let you get bogged down learning what's going and sets a good pace...
Chi Dubinski
Jan 02, 2015 Chi Dubinski rated it it was amazing
Benji Golden, a baby-faced private investigator who works for Golden Legal Services, his family’s business, is an expert at tracking down missing teenagers. When a high-powered legal firm asks Benji to track down a college student who has come into a bequest, Benji and his boss (who is also his mom) smell something fishy.
Benji finds the student but gets involved in a twisted series of events that began twenty years ago. Great characters and a riveting plot.
Monica
Feb 03, 2014 Monica rated it it was ok
What started out as an entertaining, comic whodunit ends up as an annoying, trying too hard turn up. I'm all for the suspension of disbelief, but this was just silly.
Du
Jan 02, 2014 Du rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
This was a very fun book. It had a lot of fun points, and a really nice flow to it. The speech tones and vibe was smooth and realistic. I liked the overall tone and character development.

I didn't love the ending, felt that it was a bit Robert B. Parker fall into the ending sort've thing, but that said it was made sensical by the lead up follow through.

I would read a series about these characters and I will check out others by the author
Christine
Mar 15, 2015 Christine rated it really liked it
I really like this book. It reminds me slightly of the Janet Evanovich's Stefanie Plum series. It is a a fast read with smart interesting characters. I would recommend it.
Dave
Jan 18, 2014 Dave rated it really liked it
The 1st in a new series, I really enjoyed this.
Benji Golden is a P.I. in New York City, who specializes in tracking down teen runaways.
He gets a new case, and soon it takes some strange turns.
There is humor in this, but that is fine with me. It works well. A quick read, I can't wait until the next one.
Leah Short
Jan 28, 2014 Leah Short rated it it was ok
Not the best written mystery, but still kept my interest. It's simplistic and somewhat predictable, but the ending had a twist I didn't guess. The book is really short, less than 250 pages, and easy to read.
Penni
Jan 26, 2016 Penni rated it liked it
Easy but somewhat predicable read.
Belinda Fry
It was ok. Cute. Non-threatening....
Susan
Mar 23, 2014 Susan rated it really liked it
I love this author. He writes good books.
Gayle
May 25, 2014 Gayle rated it really liked it
It was light, quick read full of fun twists and turns.
Selmah Smith
I finished this only because I have enjoyed other books by this author.
Myonly
Jan 07, 2014 Myonly rated it really liked it
Great start to what will be a fun series. Great writing, quirky but real characters, and a vaguely vintage/noir style of writing. Not my usual genre and I really enjoyed it. Fans of the original Spenser books will love it.
Lance Wright
Oct 21, 2013 Lance Wright rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed-titles
The murder mystery plot of this first in series is a fairly standard one, and it doesn't one long to figure out the whydunit despite numerous red herrings dropped along the way. It's the whodunit that is the intriguing element here. All in all, a solid start to this series, one that has a strong cast of characters in a middling murder mystery plot.
크리스티
Sep 23, 2013 크리스티 rated it liked it
Shelves: library-rental
I enjoyed this book - it was a little bit of a rough start to begin with but once the story got going it was pretty interesting. I enjoyed the twist and figured out they why but the who done it was a good twist if you follow the traditional "detective" story line. A good read if you enjoy the mystery and have that old timey noir feel to it.
Vincent Chia
Sep 12, 2013 Vincent Chia rated it it was amazing
Quick read, very entertaining. Liked the characters. Ultimate culprit was a bit of a surprise, although the underlying reason that set off the events was a little predictable and sad.

Thought the author's specific details of the roads and locations in Manhattan and the outerboroughs were pretty good; reminded me of my youth in NYC.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Cradle to Grave (Will Rees, #3)
  • Mathew Brady: Portraits of a Nation
  • The Midnight Promise
  • Las grietas de Jara
  • Let it Burn (Alex McKnight, #10)
  • The Last Kind Word (Mac McKenzie, #10)
  • Champagne: The Farewell: A Vengeance in the Vineyard Mystery
  • Cold Tuscan Stone (Rick Montoya Italian Mystery, #1)
  • Night and the City
  • The Territory (Josie Gray Mysteries #1)
  • City of Secrets
  • The Secret Lives of Married Women (Hard Case Crime #113)
  • The Blonde
  • Good As Gone (Simon Fisk, #1)
  • The Little Death
  • Follow Her Home (Juniper Song, #1)
  • Serenade
  • Songs of Innocence (Hard Case Crime #33)
AKA Russell Andrews (with Peter Gethers)

David Handler, who began his career in New York as a journalist, was born and raised in Los Angeles and published two highly acclaimed novels about growing up there, Kiddo and Boss, before resorting to a life of crime fiction.

More about David Handler...

Benji Golden (2 books)
  • Phantom Angel (Benji Golden, #2)