Start by marking “Runaway Man (Benji Golden, #1)” as Want to Read:
Runaway Man (Benji Golden, #1)

Runaway Man (Benji Golden #1)

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  155 ratings  ·  38 reviews
Benji Golden works in his family’s struggling mom-and-pop business above a twenty-four-hour diner on Broadway and West 103rd Street. Golden Legal Services, a private detective agency, was started by Benji’s hero-cop father.The business is now run by Benji’s mother, who used to be the only Jewish pole dancer in New York City, and is staffed by Lovely Rita, an eye-popping co ...more
Published August 20th 2013 by Minotaur Books (first published June 4th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Runaway Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Runaway Man

Patti
At times, I thought this book was written by someone locked in a room with only a few outside resources to help guide him in his writing. For instance, maybe he only had old episodes of Seinfeld to watch and that's why the Jewish characters tended to be shrill. And he only was allowed to read John Grisham books so that is why the WASP lawyer was so, well, WASPy. His only other material was stuff written and drawn by 12 and 13 year old boys so he thought it was completely appropriate to send line ...more
Paul Pessolano
“Runaway Man” by David Handler, published by Thomas Dunne Books.

Category – Mystery/Thriller

Bruce Weiner is missing (not that Weiner). Bruce is attending college, has disappeared and is keeping a secret from everyone but a precious few.

Benji Golden is a P.I. with Golden Legal Services, a firm that is run by his mother Abby who was once a Jewish pole dancer in New York. Their secretary, Lovely Rita, was a former lap dancer and he husband is serving a long prison sentence. This information alone s
Brent Burch
I finally found another series I'm absolutely going to be hooked by. This was a great, light romp of a private detective story; that is both funny and has quite the number of good twists and turns. Great read!
Gloria Feit
Benji Golden is the eponymous protagonist in this newest book by David Handler, so called because since he got his license as a p.i. he has gotten a reputation for tracking down young runaways. His late father was a hero cop, a homicide detective whose exploits were made famous when a movie was done about his capture of a subway serial killer who had terrorized New York City a couple of decades ago. Since his death a couple of years back the p.i. agency he’d founded is run by his widow, Abby, wh ...more
Beth
Juneau Public Library

Young Benji Golden, one-time aspiring actor, is now working for the struggling family business, Golden Legal Services, which was started by his late father, an ex-cop, and his mother, former pole dancer. Benji and his mother are hired by a lawyer from a prestigious New York City firm to find a missing college student who they claim is due to inherit a large sum of money. However, once Benji delves into the case, he discovers that all is not what it seems.

So many crime fiction stories published c
Bonnie
The main reason I chose to read this book was the quote by Harlan Coben on the front: "Grab Runaway Man. I promise it will grab you back." Well, it certainly wasn't up to Coben's standards, but it was an enjoyable, light read.

Benji Golden works in the family private detective business that had been started by his hero-cop father. After his death, his mother and her best friend run the business. Benji specializes in tracking down teen runaways and, apparently, a large law office had heard of his
Stephen
Ben Golden ,or as he is affectionately called, Benji , helps his mother, Abby run a small private investigation firm,Golden Legal Services in upper Manhattan. The two of them plus a computer savvy secretary, Rita make up the entire staff. Enter a high priced attorney, one Peter Seymour, from a high priced law firm seeking their help.He wants the firm to locate, Bruce Weiner. Seymour refuses to name the party the has hired him but he suggests that a benefactor may have left Weiner a considerable ...more
Paulette Zander

I’ve enjoyed David Handler’s books for several decades, and no wonder: he is an Edgar winner (awarded by the Mystery Writers of America for distinguished work) and a Dilys award finalist (awarded by the Independent Mystery Booksellers Association).

Handler was one of the original writers for the Kate and Allie sitcom and other television projects. Fortunately for his book fans, he abandoned Hollywood and started writing novels. His first mystery series featured eight novels about a ghostwriter/a
Phyllis
A fast fun read. Your beach book for the summer. I've never read this author before, but I will read him again. Reading this book relaxed me, the characters were believable and likable, and I didn't like leaving them for any length of time. A lot of good-natured kidding and amorous feelings. I enjoyed it. Written by a man but sounded just like chick-lit!
Viccy
Golden Legal Services is hired by the white-shoe law firm of Bates, Winslow and Seymour to find Bruce Weiner. Golden Legal Services consists of Abby Golden and Rita, former exotic dancers, and Benjamin Golden. When Benji manages to find Bruce, it's about an hour too late; he was shot with a 9-mil. Then the bodies really start piling up. Who is the pro killing everyone? Intricately plotted, but rather light on it's feet.
Vin Lunney

A perfect example of how private investigator stories should be told, always in the first person with an ending you shouldn't see coming. Handler doesn't let you get bogged down learning what's going and sets a good pace...
Chi Dubinski
Benji Golden, a baby-faced private investigator who works for Golden Legal Services, his family’s business, is an expert at tracking down missing teenagers. When a high-powered legal firm asks Benji to track down a college student who has come into a bequest, Benji and his boss (who is also his mom) smell something fishy.
Benji finds the student but gets involved in a twisted series of events that began twenty years ago. Great characters and a riveting plot.
Monica
What started out as an entertaining, comic whodunit ends up as an annoying, trying too hard turn up. I'm all for the suspension of disbelief, but this was just silly.
Leslie Angel
Cute. Quick read. enjoyed the main character, but I don't think this one is as good as his other two series.
Du
This was a very fun book. It had a lot of fun points, and a really nice flow to it. The speech tones and vibe was smooth and realistic. I liked the overall tone and character development.

I didn't love the ending, felt that it was a bit Robert B. Parker fall into the ending sort've thing, but that said it was made sensical by the lead up follow through.

I would read a series about these characters and I will check out others by the author
Christine
I really like this book. It reminds me slightly of the Janet Evanovich's Stefanie Plum series. It is a a fast read with smart interesting characters. I would recommend it.
Dave
The 1st in a new series, I really enjoyed this.
Benji Golden is a P.I. in New York City, who specializes in tracking down teen runaways.
He gets a new case, and soon it takes some strange turns.
There is humor in this, but that is fine with me. It works well. A quick read, I can't wait until the next one.
Leah Short
Not the best written mystery, but still kept my interest. It's simplistic and somewhat predictable, but the ending had a twist I didn't guess. The book is really short, less than 250 pages, and easy to read.
Susan
I love this author. He writes good books.
Gayle
It was light, quick read full of fun twists and turns.
Selmah Smith
I finished this only because I have enjoyed other books by this author.
Myonly
Great start to what will be a fun series. Great writing, quirky but real characters, and a vaguely vintage/noir style of writing. Not my usual genre and I really enjoyed it. Fans of the original Spenser books will love it.
Lance Wright
The murder mystery plot of this first in series is a fairly standard one, and it doesn't one long to figure out the whydunit despite numerous red herrings dropped along the way. It's the whodunit that is the intriguing element here. All in all, a solid start to this series, one that has a strong cast of characters in a middling murder mystery plot.
크리스티
I enjoyed this book - it was a little bit of a rough start to begin with but once the story got going it was pretty interesting. I enjoyed the twist and figured out they why but the who done it was a good twist if you follow the traditional "detective" story line. A good read if you enjoy the mystery and have that old timey noir feel to it.
Vincent Chia
Quick read, very entertaining. Liked the characters. Ultimate culprit was a bit of a surprise, although the underlying reason that set off the events was a little predictable and sad.

Thought the author's specific details of the roads and locations in Manhattan and the outerboroughs were pretty good; reminded me of my youth in NYC.
Nancy Brooking
I read this book a while ago but forgot to add the review. I really enjoyed the book and highly recommend it. Well-written mystery - not too heavy. Is part of a series featuring a young detective called Benji Golden who works at his mother's detective agency solving cases.
Doug Cooper
I read this book very quickly. It is fast paced and very engrossing. Handler, I think, tries to poke fun at noir detective fiction (with a New York Jewish twist I guess) and does a great job at it.
Andrea
Quick, entertaining read, enjoyed the twists at the end. I don't know that Benji Golden will ever rank as high as my beloved Kinsey Millhone, but this was a solid first in the series.
Bad Cookie
I thought this was a really good story up until Benji's confrontation with the killer. The ending was a little too pat for me. However, I would probably read a sequel to this.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Cradle to Grave (Will Rees, #3)
  • Let it Burn (Alex McKnight, #10)
  • Las grietas de Jara
  • Good As Gone (Simon Fisk, #1)
  • Champagne: The Farewell: A Vengeance in the Vineyard Mystery
  • The Last Kind Word (Mac McKenzie, #10)
  • The Blues Detective
  • Cold Tuscan Stone (Rick Montoya Italian Mystery, #1)
  • Heaven's Fury
  • City of Secrets
  • Night and the City
  • Strong Enough to Die (Caitlin Strong, #1)
  • Valley of Ashes
  • The Book of Killowen (Nora Gavin, #4)
  • The Secret Lives of Married Women (Hard Case Crime #113)
  • Tapping the Source
  • The Blonde
  • The Little Death
AKA Russell Andrews (with Peter Gethers)

David Handler, who began his career in New York as a journalist, was born and raised in Los Angeles and published two highly acclaimed novels about growing up there, Kiddo and Boss, before resorting to a life of crime fiction.

More about David Handler...

Benji Golden (2 books)
  • Phantom Angel (Benji Golden, #2)
The Cold Blue Blood (Berger and Mitry, #1) The Hot Pink Farmhouse (Berger and Mitry, #2) The Bright Silver Star (Berger and Mitry, #3) The Burnt Orange Sunrise (Berger and Mitry, #4) The Sour Cherry Surprise (Berger and Mitry, #6)