Penguin on Vacation

Penguin on Vacation (Penguin)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  309 ratings  ·  63 reviews
Penguin's tired of the snow and cold--so he decides to go on vacation! But where should he go? And what new friends will he meet along the way?

Seasoned illustrator Salina Yoon's spare text and bright, energetic illustrations bring this favorite character to life, ensuring that readers will be clamoring for more Penguin stories--whether they find their home in the cold or t...more
Published April 16th 2013 by Walker Childrens

To ask other readers questions about Penguin on Vacation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Penguin on Vacation

Warnie B.
Super cute illustrations, and super cute story as well. Penguin decides a vacation is in order and takes a trip to the beach, where he quickly discovers that things are not like home! Luckily Crab comes along and shows Penguin how to have fun. Penguin gets a surprise when it's time to go home--Crab has decided to come along for a vacation of his own! The part where Penguin receives a letter from Crab after he leaves saying, "I shell return" totally cracked me up--hurrah for puns!!! Anyway, it's...more
Shelly Johnson
This is Such a cute little story! Perfect for bedtime, or just a nice quiet afternoon snuggle book. My son (2) loved the bright pictures and the illustrations. The story was exciting enough to keep him actually sitting and listening as I read it to him. My daughter (9) was able to read it as well and thought it was funny and cute. I definitely recommend to parents of small children if you enjoying reading together!
I received this copy through Goodreads Firstreads
Melissa
This book was fantastic - my husband and I both almost teared up near the end! That's the sign of an excellent picture book. The detail in the illustrations added so much to the story too! For example, when Penguin sets out on his vacation from the Pole, he takes an ice floe - and in a series of illustrations the ice melts and he ends his travels riding on his suitcase instead! I can't wait to read the other Penguin books by this author
Rainey
Melanie
Penguin is tired of the snow. He'd done everything he can think of: sled, ski, ice skate. It's time for a change of scenery. It's time for a vacation! So Penguin hop-s on an ice flow and off he goes. He lands on the beach where he finds his feet aren't the best for walking on sand. Sand is hot, and there are sharp things to step on like shells. He can't sled, ski or ice skate on the sand.

Crab to the rescue. Crab is Penguins new friend and show him what can be done in the sand: sandcastles, bury...more
Erin
Penguin needs a vacation. He decides to go somewhere he's never been before: the beach. When he gets there, he tries to do all the things he does at home--ski, sled, skate--but he can't. Then he makes a friend, crab. Crab shows him all the things you can do on the beach--make sandcastles, surf, climb coconut trees. Penguin has a great time with crab! Then he has to go home because his vacation is over. Crab decides he also needs a vacation, so he goes with him to the arctic to try out all the th...more
I love love love penguin. He/she is the very best kind of friend.
Meg
Yeah, guess I won't be keeping up with these Penguin books. (Cute concepts, but I don't much care for the simplistic and sappy execution.) I mean, I love a crab wearing mittens as much as the next gal, but I still think FOUND is far and away better work from Yoon.

I'd recommend this book for families teaching their very youngest about what a vacation is and what it means. (Ages 1-4.)
Penny McGill
We are all still in love with Penguin and his remarkable way of making friends. He also seems to be able to take his little Penguin life any place he wants to and does it with incredible optimism. Penguin is a great role model and Salina Yoon is so clever about the 'voice' she gives to her little bird. We'd buy them all if we had the extra $, just so we can have him around all the time.
Kayla Eklund
Once again, Salina Yoon has written a great children's book. My friend's son loved Salina's first Penguin book, Penguin and Pinecone. He also loved Penguin on Vacation.

Penguin on Vacation teaches children the importance of friendship, just like Penguin and Pinecone did. The book also teaches children to make the best of a bad situation. When Penguin went on vacation, he was upset. Vacation was nothing like what he thought it would be. He couldn't sled, ski, or skate. Instead of moping and sulki...more
Christina
Another cute book about Penguin- this time he takes a tropical vacation and make a new friend, Crab. The illustrations are again cute, and the text is nice and large size, and there isn't too much of it. The illustrations definitely help tell the story.
Kelsey
Age: Preschool
Seasons: Summer, Winter
Travel: Vacation

Yoon makes another winner with Penguin. This time, Penguin decides to take a vacation to somewhere tropical. He sails off on an iceberg with a suitcase and beach ball and finally arrives at a hot beach. Things are not like home and Penguin ends up hurting himself a lot in his unusual new surroundings. A little Crab skitters by, sees Penguin's strange behavior, and asks
"Are you lost?"
"No, I'm on vacation," says Penguin.

Crab proceeds to show hi...more
Rodolfo
There's a certain beauty and emotion to Yoon's books. With quiet brilliance, Yoon touches on the theme of friendship. A wonderful read.
Maddypictures
Adorable story about a penguin who gets tired of the cold and decides to head for warmer climes. In the tropics, he's no good at vacationing - the sunny beach is not the place for skiing, sledding and skating, like he's used to. Fortunately, he makes a new friend, a crab who is able to show him the ropes. Penguin returns the favor by hosting Crab when he comes to visit the Antarctic. Endpages feature crabs on a beach... and crabs bundled up for the snow. Colorful full-bleed pages digital art wit...more
Ashley
Such a cute story! Illustrations are big and bright. Perfect for preschool and up.
Kareena
So cute!! Definitely on my list of picture books to buy eventually.
Brandon Manning
This was the book that my son found on the bookstore shelf that eventually made me search out Salina Yoon's other works. Fun, cute, and sweet, it made both my son and I smile at every page. He still picks this one for nightly readings.
Jocelin
An cute penguin adventure from the lovable Penguin. This time he is going on vacation and things are a little bit different, but he finds a friend that helps him navigate the newness. Great book for storytime time and bedtime.
Dolly
Jul 28, 2013 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a sweet tale about friendship and getting away from the daily grind and going on vacation. The narrative is short and the illustrations are cartoonish and colorful. We enjoyed reading this book together and we loved the cute characters. Now that I've posted my review here on Goodreads, I realize there's a whole series of books featuring Penguin. We'll have to check out more of them at our local library.
Christopher James
Mommy's Review
I received this book for free as a First Reads giveaway.

I read it to my son (9 months) and he loved the pictures. He doesn't usually sit still for a whole book quite yet, but he made it through most of this one.

I loved the story! It is simple and meaningful and perfect for kids of all ages. The illustrations exceeded my expectations Salina Yoon is amazing and I will definitely be looking into buying more of her books for my son.
Kellee
Full review at: http://www.unleashingreaders.com/?p=2194

My friend Niki has talked about how wonderful Yoon’s Penguin books are, but I hadn’t gotten my hands on one until now. After reading Penguin on Vacation, I can see why this character is one that is loved. He is curious, friendly, and cute. I also am a huge fan of Crab as he was there just as Penguin needed him. This book is a great celebration of odd frienships.
SQUEE! I love the friendship between Penguin and Crab, or perhaps I just love seeing crab all dressed in scuba gear and mittens! Adorable!
Samantha
A cute story about a penguin who longs to explore a world vastly different from his own so he packs his bags and heads to the beach. While at the beach, he befriends a crab who also longs to explore so when the penguin heads home the crab joins him and has his own vacation.

A great read aloud that combines friendship with all the most wonderful things about snow and sand.
Roben
Perfect for the end of a very snowy winter in many parts of the country - the book opens with penguin lamenting, "Snow again? I need a vacation!" Penguin picks his destination (the beach!) and heads out for his adventure and a new friend. A perfect pick for story time for preschoolers, it talks about the beach, vacations, and friendship.
Robin
This is a really fun book that will work well with a beach storytime theme. The penguin we met in Penguin and Pineconetakes a vacation and meets a crab. Then the crab travels back to the penguin's home to check out his home.
Steven Matview
I love the illustrations, especially Yoon’s vibrant use of colors. I like to read this one in “opposite” themed storytimes, pointing out the differences between Penguin’s chilly home and the warmth of the tropical vacation spot.
Cara
I want to go on vacation too! I feel like penguin...
Shelli
Super cute picture book that young readers or listeners will love. Penguin wants to get away from the humdrum days of snow and ice; a vacation is in order. Sometimes that little break from your daily life is all a person or a penguin needs to remember that there is no place like home.
Jacob Combs
This book has adorable illustrations, and chronicles the travels and new friendship of a South Pole penguin and a crab from the beach. The story of friendship is sweet, and my 4 year old loves the humorous illustrations. Definitely a great book to read after such a long winter!
  • Little Owl's Orange Scarf
  • Super Hair-o and the Barber of Doom
  • Ribbit!
  • Crankee Doodle
  • Xander's Panda Party
  • Carnivores
  • Have You Seen My New Blue Socks?
  • Windblown
  • The Snatchabook
  • Octopus Alone
  • Tap the Magic Tree
  • Friends
  • Nugget and Fang: Friends Forever--or Snack Time?
  • The Adventures of Beekle: The Unimaginary Friend
  • How to Be a Cat
  • Not Your Typical Dragon
  • Picture Day Perfection
  • Yoo-Hoo, Ladybug!
I am the author/illustrator/designer and format engineer of nearly 200 novelty and board books for young children. I strive to make each book entertaining, educational and uniquely interactive.

My awards include the 2009 Oppenheim Toy Portfolio Gold Seal, Best Book Award, for both TOYS and ROCK & ROLL COLORS (Scholastic). OPPOSNAKES (S&S) was a 2009 finalist for the CBC's Children's Choice...more
More about Salina Yoon...
Penguin and Pinecone Found Penguin in Love Do Cows Meow? Opposnakes: A Lift-the-Flap Book About Opposites