Start by marking “Penguin on Vacation” as Want to Read:
Penguin on Vacation

Penguin on Vacation (Penguin)

Penguin's tired of the snow and cold--so he decides to go on vacation! But where should he go? And what new friends will he meet along the way?

Seasoned illustrator Salina Yoon's spare text and bright, energetic illustrations bring this favorite character to life, ensuring that readers will be clamoring for more Penguin stories--whether they find their home in the cold or t
Published April 16th 2013 by Walker Childrens

To ask other readers questions about Penguin on Vacation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Penguin on Vacation

Edward Sullivan
Jun 23, 2013 Edward Sullivan rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Penguin goes on vacation in the tropics and makes friends with a crab. Simple and charming.
Chelsey
Jun 14, 2017 Chelsey rated it liked it
LOVED the fact that this story correctly made Penguin travel North to get to the beach!
Lara
Apr 30, 2013 Lara rated it really liked it
Super cute illustrations, and super cute story as well. Penguin decides a vacation is in order and takes a trip to the beach, where he quickly discovers that things are not like home! Luckily Crab comes along and shows Penguin how to have fun. Penguin gets a surprise when it's time to go home--Crab has decided to come along for a vacation of his own! The part where Penguin receives a letter from Crab after he leaves saying, "I shell return" totally cracked me up--hurrah for puns!!! Anyway, it's ...more
Henry Martin
Sometimes you just have to pick up a silly book and laugh.

Looking outside at the piles of snow while the wind howls and the temperatures drop dangerously low, the thought of vacation was certainly on my mind. Unlike penguin, however, I remained in the frozen land.

Nevertheless, this book cheered me up quite a bit. It's funny, it's cleverly done, and it was the perfect book to read today.
Melissa
Jun 24, 2013 Melissa rated it it was amazing
This book was fantastic - my husband and I both almost teared up near the end! That's the sign of an excellent picture book. The detail in the illustrations added so much to the story too! For example, when Penguin sets out on his vacation from the Pole, he takes an ice floe - and in a series of illustrations the ice melts and he ends his travels riding on his suitcase instead! I can't wait to read the other Penguin books by this author
Rodolfo
Aug 14, 2014 Rodolfo rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animalitos
There's a certain beauty and emotion to Yoon's books. With quiet brilliance, Yoon touches on the theme of friendship. A wonderful read.
Shelly Johnson
Apr 11, 2013 Shelly Johnson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
This is Such a cute little story! Perfect for bedtime, or just a nice quiet afternoon snuggle book. My son (2) loved the bright pictures and the illustrations. The story was exciting enough to keep him actually sitting and listening as I read it to him. My daughter (9) was able to read it as well and thought it was funny and cute. I definitely recommend to parents of small children if you enjoying reading together!
I received this copy through Goodreads Firstreads
Christopher James
Sep 04, 2013 Christopher James rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads, we-own
Mommy's Review
I received this book for free as a First Reads giveaway.

I read it to my son (9 months) and he loved the pictures. He doesn't usually sit still for a whole book quite yet, but he made it through most of this one.

I loved the story! It is simple and meaningful and perfect for kids of all ages. The illustrations exceeded my expectations Salina Yoon is amazing and I will definitely be looking into buying more of her books for my son.
Fiction State Of Mind
Aug 10, 2015 Fiction State Of Mind rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-book
This is a sweet little book about vacations and friendship .Penguin is bored with the ice and snow. He has skied and sleded and ice scated and now he wants a chamng. Penguin takes a small iceberg and mahes it to a tropical island . However penguin doesnt know how to enjoy hot sun and rough sand until his new friend crab shares summer joys with him .Very cute!
Rainey
Elizabeth
Jan 12, 2017 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Not so much a book about going on a vacation as about making a friend while there! I love the unlikely friendship of penguin and crab. And the silly word play delights me, "I shell return". The illustrations in this book are lovely.
Jessica
Jun 15, 2013 Jessica rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
If you love Penguin already, having oohed your way through the delightful PENGUIN AND PINECONE, then you'll want to see Penguin go on vacation and make yet another friend. Charming, with bold illustrations, I loved seeing what else Penguin would do.
May 26, 2013 Sarah rated it it was amazing
I love love love penguin. He/she is the very best kind of friend.
Elizabeth K.
Mar 25, 2017 Elizabeth K. rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-lucy
This is one of those books that is very straightforward, but it's extremely cute. There's not even that much that happens, but it's got four stars from me on the basis that it includes a crab who wears mittens. Sometimes a book doesn't have to have more than that.
Angie
Pictures are cute and story is also cute
Alice
Feb 20, 2017 Alice rated it really liked it
I love Penguin.
Kayla Eklund
May 07, 2013 Kayla Eklund rated it it was amazing
Once again, Salina Yoon has written a great children's book. My friend's son loved Salina's first Penguin book, Penguin and Pinecone. He also loved Penguin on Vacation.

Penguin on Vacation teaches children the importance of friendship, just like Penguin and Pinecone did. The book also teaches children to make the best of a bad situation. When Penguin went on vacation, he was upset. Vacation was nothing like what he thought it would be. He couldn't sled, ski, or skate. Instead of moping and sulki
Melanie
Penguin is tired of the snow. He'd done everything he can think of: sled, ski, ice skate. It's time for a change of scenery. It's time for a vacation! So Penguin hop-s on an ice flow and off he goes. He lands on the beach where he finds his feet aren't the best for walking on sand. Sand is hot, and there are sharp things to step on like shells. He can't sled, ski or ice skate on the sand.

Crab to the rescue. Crab is Penguins new friend and show him what can be done in the sand: sandcastles, bury
Round Lake Area Library Youth Services Department
After a long winter (especially for Penguins) who doesn't need a vacation? That is the exact thought that is going through Penguin’s head when he decides to take a vacation to some place warmer, some place tropical. So Penguin leaves the South Pole on an iceberg and makes his way to the beach. Penguin makes friends with a crab and the two have fun until Penguin’s vacation comes to an end but it’s not really the end especially for the new friends.

The colors in this book are absolutely wonderful a
Kelsey
May 22, 2013 Kelsey rated it really liked it
Age: Preschool
Seasons: Summer, Winter
Travel: Vacation

Yoon makes another winner with Penguin. This time, Penguin decides to take a vacation to somewhere tropical. He sails off on an iceberg with a suitcase and beach ball and finally arrives at a hot beach. Things are not like home and Penguin ends up hurting himself a lot in his unusual new surroundings. A little Crab skitters by, sees Penguin's strange behavior, and asks
"Are you lost?"
"No, I'm on vacation," says Penguin.

Crab proceeds to show hi
Lauren
Feb 09, 2016 Lauren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: everybody
Penguin is bored bored bored and decides to take a vacation ... to a beach! Taking an ice flow, that proceeds to melt, Penguin arrives floating on his luggage (luckily he packed light). He can't figure out what to do at a beach. His snow play activities aren't working. Along comes Crab who teaches Penguin all of the fun that can be had at the beach. This is a wonderful and endearing story. It also lends it self well to wondering questions about ice/snow formations in Antarctica, what is an ice s ...more
Erin
May 02, 2014 Erin rated it really liked it
Penguin needs a vacation. He decides to go somewhere he's never been before: the beach. When he gets there, he tries to do all the things he does at home--ski, sled, skate--but he can't. Then he makes a friend, crab. Crab shows him all the things you can do on the beach--make sandcastles, surf, climb coconut trees. Penguin has a great time with crab! Then he has to go home because his vacation is over. Crab decides he also needs a vacation, so he goes with him to the arctic to try out all the th ...more
Maddypictures
Jul 26, 2013 Maddypictures rated it it was amazing
Adorable story about a penguin who gets tired of the cold and decides to head for warmer climes. In the tropics, he's no good at vacationing - the sunny beach is not the place for skiing, sledding and skating, like he's used to. Fortunately, he makes a new friend, a crab who is able to show him the ropes. Penguin returns the favor by hosting Crab when he comes to visit the Antarctic. Endpages feature crabs on a beach... and crabs bundled up for the snow. Colorful full-bleed pages digital art wit ...more
Jared White
Dec 29, 2015 Jared White rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Though I gave this four stars and some four starred books make it onto my "favorites" shelf, this one just didn't quite make it. Maybe that's because though I like the pictures, I don't love them. This is a simple, fun story about a Penguin who needs a vacation and a change in scenery. He discovers that going someplace totally new can be confusing and sometimes it's best to make friends with a local who can show you the ropes (I wonder how many vacations would be improved if we followed this adv ...more
Traci Bold
Dec 29, 2015 Traci Bold rated it really liked it
When Penguin goes on vacation, he makes a new friend. the sad part is that he has to go back home and the friend cannot go with. Vacations are like that though and Penguin realizes that having a friend even far away is still a good thing.

However, Penguin is in for a special surprise.

This picture book is sweet and endearing. Written and illustrated by Salina Yoon.
Published by Walker Books which is an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing.
@SalinaYoon @BIGPictureBooks @BloomsburyPub
Dolly
Jul 03, 2013 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a sweet tale about friendship and getting away from the daily grind and going on vacation. The narrative is short and the illustrations are cartoonish and colorful. We enjoyed reading this book together and we loved the cute characters. Now that I've posted my review here on Goodreads, I realize there's a whole series of books featuring Penguin. We'll have to check out more of them at our local library.
Joanna
Jul 08, 2016 Joanna rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
Totes adorbs. The penguin needed a vacation from cold and snow, and made friends with a crab while visiting a warm sunny beach. Turnabout being fair play, the crab vacations from sun and sand at penguins cold snowy beach. They both have a great time outside of their typical environments. An excellent springboard for discussion about novelty and relaxation. This also made me think about that old chestnut, Country Mouse/City Mouse.
Kellee
Full review at: http://www.unleashingreaders.com/?p=2194

My friend Niki has talked about how wonderful Yoon’s Penguin books are, but I hadn’t gotten my hands on one until now. After reading Penguin on Vacation, I can see why this character is one that is loved. He is curious, friendly, and cute. I also am a huge fan of Crab as he was there just as Penguin needed him. This book is a great celebration of odd frienships.
Samantha
A cute story about a penguin who longs to explore a world vastly different from his own so he packs his bags and heads to the beach. While at the beach, he befriends a crab who also longs to explore so when the penguin heads home the crab joins him and has his own vacation.

A great read aloud that combines friendship with all the most wonderful things about snow and sand.
Meg
Jun 23, 2014 Meg rated it it was ok
Shelves: children
Yeah, guess I won't be keeping up with these Penguin books. (Cute concepts, but I don't much care for the simplistic and sappy execution.) I mean, I love a crab wearing mittens as much as the next gal, but I still think FOUND is far and away better work from Yoon.

I'd recommend this book for families teaching their very youngest about what a vacation is and what it means. (Ages 1-4.)
  • Little Owl's Orange Scarf
  • Crankee Doodle
  • Xander's Panda Party
  • Ball
  • Buddy and the Bunnies: In Don't Play with Your Food
  • Have You Seen My New Blue Socks?
  • The Story of Fish and Snail
  • Hooray for Hat!
  • I Am Small
  • Inside Outside
  • Polar Bear Morning
  • This Is a Moose
  • Dog in Charge
  • Baby Penguins Everywhere!
  • Nora's Chicks
  • Super Hair-o and the Barber of Doom
  • Like Bug Juice on a Burger (Eleanor, #2)
  • Click, Clack, Boo!: A Tricky Treat
Salina Yoon is an award-winning author/illustrator of over 150 books for children, including Penguin and Pinecone, Penguin on Vacation, Penguin in Love, Penguin and Pumpkin, Penguin's Big Adventure, Found, and Stormy Night.

Her latest book, Be a Friend, was a Winter 2015-2016 Kids' Indie Next Pick. Among her other awards are a Scholastic Teachers Top 10 Picture Book for Penguin's Big Adventure, an
More about Salina Yoon...

Penguin (9 books)
  • Penguin and Pinecone
  • Penguin in Love
  • Penguin Gets Dressed!
  • Penguin Gets Ready for Bed!
  • Penguin Goes to the Farm!
  • Penguin and Pumpkin