Start by marking “Nearer Home: A Nola Céspedes Mystery” as Want to Read:
Nearer Home: A Nola Céspedes Mystery

Nearer Home: A Nola Céspedes Mystery (Nola Cespedes Mysteries, #2)

The irresistible, razor-sharp second book in the post-Katrina New Orleans-set crimeseries featuring unforgettable and gutsyreporter Nola Céspedes

Early one morning, Times-Picayune crime reporter Nola Céspedes goes for her regular runin Audubon Park. More than the heat of the dawning New Orleans day, she’s trying to outrun her growingunease with the man she's seeing, who is
Published July 16th 2013 by Thomas Dunne Books

To ask other readers questions about Nearer Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nearer Home

Renee
Aug 31, 2013 Renee rated it it was amazing
This book was excellent....it kept your attention. I would recommend this book. It was a great mystery. First time that I have read this author but I will look for more books by her. I received this book from Goodreads.
Amy Lignor
Jul 28, 2013 Amy Lignor rated it really liked it
Irony at its finest, a perfectly beautiful morning turns into a nightmare…

During her early morning run through Audubon Park in New Orleans, Nola Cespedes discovers the dead body of a former professor of hers along the path. The victim, Dr. Judith Taffner, was a professor in the journalism department at Tulane University. And Nola now works as an investigative journalist for the Times-Picayune newspaper.

Nola quickly finds herself embroiled in a case that causes her sadness, because of the fact t
Catherine
Jul 01, 2013 Catherine rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
This review is based on an ARC I received from Goodreads.

Nola Cespedes is an investigative journalist for the Times-Picayune in New Orleans. During an early morning jog, she discovers the body of a former professor who was clearly the victim of a violent death. This is the start of a deep crime investigation, which spans many layers of individuals throughout New Orleans.

Overall, I enjoyed this book. Nola is an interesting character. One of my favorite things about Nola is that she is imperfect.
Aaron (Typographical Era)
Jul 16, 2013 Aaron (Typographical Era) rated it really liked it
When we parted ways with Times-Picayune crime reporter Nola Céspedes at the end of Joy Castro’s masterfully executed debut piece of literary crime fiction Hell or High Water, she was most certainly NOT in a good mental state. While researching an in-depth piece about the shocking number of sexual predators that managed to slip through the cracks immediately after Hurricane Katrina wrought its devastation upon New Orleans, Nola came face to face with some of the most threatening and intimidating ...more
Annie
Jul 29, 2016 Annie rated it it was amazing
A most excellent 5 star read!
loved the book from the first page!
Even though it is book #2 in the series I had no trouble at all figuring out what was going on.
I will still read the first book in this wonderful series “Hell or High Water”
Nola Cespedes is a Crime reporter living in post Katrina New Orleans, working for the Times Picayune Newspaper and nursing physical and psychological hurts from years gone by.
One morning as she is jogging in Audubon park she comes across a dead body, and not jus
Kerry Hennigan
Feb 11, 2016 Kerry Hennigan rated it really liked it
Nearer Home is a tale of murder and too many coincidences, and journalist Nola Cespedes is too close to all of them.

When Nola discovers the body of her former journalism professor she realises she has a scoop on her hands - first on the scene, and a chance to take everything in, as grim as it is, before the police arrive.

But as she looks for a motive for the murder, Nola uncovers a couple of stories the dead woman was working on herself - stories that may have resulted in her own tragic demise.
Faye
Aug 25, 2013 Faye rated it it was amazing
Joy Castro's latest crime thriller, NEARER HOME, is the second in the Nola Céspedes series. This time the protagonist, a 28-year-old Latina reporter at the Times-Picayune newspaper in New Orleans, is the first person to come across the body of a murdered journalism professor on a local jogging path. The search for the professor's murderer takes her from homes in the Lower Ninth Ward to the spacious horse ranch of a U.S. Senator, and what she unearths leads her into personal dangers she doesn't ...more
Gwen
Jan 26, 2016 Gwen rated it liked it
This is the second book in the Nola Cespedes series. Nola is a crime reporter for a newspaper in New Orleans. While out jogging one morning she discovers her former university professor’s body. Nola begins to investigate and discovers that her professor was working on a couple of stories that may have gotten her killed. We see a lot of development in this book with Nola and her little sister (sister as in the organization Big Sisters) as Nola seems to be developing some maternal instincts.

Overal
Barbra
Aug 11, 2013 Barbra rated it really liked it
Joy Castro continues the story of Nola, a crime reporter who seems to constantly battle against herself. On the surface, Nola seems to have an ideal life - a great job, a mother who adores her, great friends, and now a boyfriend. But somehow, she can't seem to allow herself to enjoy happiness and continually makes choices hat could jeapordize her life and the people in it. I was not a huge fan of Castro's first book starring Nola (hell or High Water) but I could not put his one down. I found ...more
S.G.
Dec 22, 2013 S.G. rated it really liked it
Stay with me for a moment. There are a few things that irk me when I read - coming in mid-series; characters who speak in a language I don't; stories set in New Orleans. Why do they irk me? Who knows? But Nearer Home has all of these elements and I loved the book.

Castro's writing is hypnotic and her New Orleans is far from the bouganvillea draped cliches so often associated with the city. I don't know how many of the characters came from the previous book but, with very few exceptions, the cast
Kimberly
Jul 02, 2015 Kimberly rated it liked it
I enjoyed reading "Nearer Home". It started out with an incredibly well crafted, beautifully lyrical opening and then became more standard fare mystery story with lots of good complications to the plot, keeping you guessing as to who-dunnit. My one criticism is that some of it felt a little contrived in terms of Nola's character with her relationship with her lover and as a big sister to a girl in the Big Brother/Big Sister program. It does make her likable and complicated at the same time, but ...more
Maryellen Woodside
Dec 06, 2013 Maryellen Woodside rated it really liked it
I had the pleasure of meeting Joy Castro at last year's Southwest Florida Reading Festival. She is an inspiring speaker, in addition to being a great writer. "Nearer Home" is her second Nola Cespedes mystery. Nola, a writer for the Times-Picayune, is out for a run and stumbles across a body. She know the woman, one of her professors from Tulane. Nola sets out to get a story, and ends up putting herself in jeopardy. A page-turner!
Roger Market
Jul 19, 2013 Roger Market rated it it was amazing
Even better than the first one (Hell or High Water)! Nearer Home continues the complex story of strong, independent, intelligent Latina firecracker Nola Céspedes, a journalist navigating the dangerous side of post-Katrina New Orleans. This writer does not water her stories down in stereotyped, 6th-grade vocabulary. Expect a smart read. If you don't know what "subaltern" means, look it up, and then revel in the fact that the main character has a voice. A powerful voice.
Jan 06, 2014 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: nook, mystery
The second of Joy Castro's Nola Cespedes mysteries, this one builds on the previous story. If there was a bit too much reminiscing for my tastes--enough that it detracted somewhat from the mystery--it also dealt well with the issues from the first book. Nola has issues, but she's working to deal with them. And while she makes bad choices from time to time, there's a clear sense of progress which makes those choices bearable. She's reckless, but not dumb. I look forward to reading more.
Aug 19, 2013 Jennifer rated it really liked it
The second mystery featuring Times Picayune reporter Nola Cespedes, who is investigating the murder of one of her least favorite college professors. Nola is growing as a character, though still fighting some childhood demons. All the New Orleans references are fascinating to someone who lived there but hasn't visited in years.
Bernda Bacani
Apr 14, 2015 Bernda Bacani rated it really liked it
Nola is a reporter in New Orleans. She stumbles across a body while running and recognizes it as a journalism professor she never liked. She starts to investigate and finds the professor was working on 2 stories which could have huge repercussions. She finds her life in danger as she uncovers two other (related) deaths as her investigation unfolds. Fairly quick read.
Sandy
Jan 24, 2016 Sandy marked it as to-read
Shelves: books-won
Nola Cespedes, a reporter in New Orleans discovers a body during her morning run in the park and it is someone she knows! She decides to investigate the murder in addition to writing the story. When she finds herself in danger it could cost her life but she is determined to find out the truth.

I enjoyed the book and would be open to reading more by this author
Cookie
Aug 12, 2016 Cookie rated it liked it
Joy Castro keeps the reader on their toes, as usual , with her writing. At times though, the storyline dragged on for a bit; but not long enough to put the book down. If you like reading stories from the south-especially New Orleans, you will enjoy this book. Joy Castro has you living life as if you were there. I do enjoy her books.
Kat
Oct 26, 2013 Kat rated it it was ok
Ho hum detective novel with most of the predictable events. Interesting characters not fully developed, but certainly had potential. I didn't take much away from this read, and am already having difficulty remembering most of it.
Beth Schneider
Oct 30, 2013 Beth Schneider rated it really liked it
This was a well-written novel based on a reporter in post-Katrina New Orleans. The author did an excellent job of developing the characters as well as describing the environment, both physical as well as cultural. Looking forward to reading more by Castro.
Sara
Aug 26, 2013 Sara rated it liked it
Interesting mystery taking place in New Orleans. The main character is a reporter from the major newspaper, who stumbles on the body of a former professor. Doubting the notoriously corrupt New Orleans police dept, she investigates on her own. Good characterization.
Joy
Jan 10, 2014 Joy rated it really liked it
Nola still has some rough edges but I really enjoy her as a character. I can't wait to see what happens next. As a mystery novel, this is a mediocre effort, but as a character driven story, it really works for me.
Anna
Dec 24, 2015 Anna rated it it was amazing
Another fabulous book in this series! I hope Castro writes more. Such good characters, descriptions, and plot. Awesome to find a socially conscious bad-ass detective/noir novel series.
Claire
Sep 11, 2013 Claire rated it liked it
a mystery that is a quick read, set in New Orleans. Not to be over analyzed, not a great work of fiction, just an entertaining mystery.
Margaret
Sep 17, 2013 Margaret rated it really liked it
Another good book...liked the story/characters continuation from the first book and the sense of New Orleans you get from the writing.
Penny (Literary Hoarders)
Really, really enjoyed this one. Really enjoyed being able to see the development in the Nola character and the case(s) her investigative crime journalism took her too in this 2nd in the series.
Amy Craft
Mar 22, 2014 Amy Craft rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Great book, I really enjoyed this author's writing style. I absolutely loved the main character, Nola.
Joan
Joan rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2013
Cathy Placzek
Cathy Placzek rated it really liked it
Aug 11, 2016
pattrice
pattrice rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Intimate Enemies: The Two Worlds of Baroness de Pontalba
  • Almost Innocent
  • The Llama of Death: A Gunn Zoo Mystery (A Gunn Zoo Mystery, #3)
  • Decorations in a Ruined Cemetery
  • One D.O.A., One on the Way
  • Every Bitter Thing (Chief Inspector Mario Silva #4)
  • Reunion at Red Paint Bay
  • Blood Hina (Mas Arai, #4)
  • The Rich and the Dead (Lila Day, #1)
  • The Torturer's Apprentice: Stories
  • Frozen Assets (Officer Gunnhilder, #1)
  • Dispute Over a Very Italian Piglet
  • Mischief
  • Cypress Grove (Turner, #1)
  • The Assassin Trilogy: The Silver Bear / Columbus / Dark Men (Silver Bear, #1-3)
  • King Maybe (Junior Bender, #5)
  • The Wonder of Ordinary Magic
  • Senseless

Nola Cespedes Mysteries, (2 books)
  • Hell or High Water