Start by marking “Battleship: A Daring Heiress, a Teenage Jockey, and America's Horse” as Want to Read:
Battleship: A Daring Heiress, a Teenage Jockey, and America's Horse

Battleship: A Daring Heiress, a Teenage Jockey, and America's Horse

The youngest jockey, the smallest horse, and an American heiress. Together, near Liverpool, England, they made a leap of faith on a spring day in 1938:overriding the teenage jockey’s father, trusting the boy and the horse that the British nicknamed “The American Pony” to handle a race course that newspapers called “Suicide Lane.” As a result, Battleship became the firstAme ...more
Published April 30th 2013 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Battleship, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Battleship

Ionia
Feb 11, 2013 Ionia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are really no other words to describe this book other than simply beautiful. This story is one of triumph, glory and defeating unbeatable odds.

If you have ever read a book before and wished it would never end, then you will understand how I felt about Battleship: The Story of a Champion.

As I was not familiar with this piece of racing history, I did some research before reading this book. When I began reading, I was impressed with the way the author managed to tell a compelling story that
Naomi
Apr 05, 2013 Naomi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read my full review @ http://bit.ly/YXeKQ9

My opinion: Another unique offering from St. Martin's Press.

First, I must admit that I absolutely LOVE stories like Battleship. Stories of underdogs who prove everyone wrong to make big things happen in history. That sums up Battleship. It was truly a great book that had me on edge for the entire ride and had me sucked in very early into the read even though I am not into horse-racing nor the lives of America's wealthy. Ms. Ours wrote characters so stro
Kathy Martin
Apr 21, 2013 Kathy Martin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
BATTLESHIP is filled with detail and is a fascinating look at life in the 1930s especially in the horse country of the East Coast. It tells the story of Marion duPont Somerville Scott who was a fascinating woman who routinely listed herself as a home maker on her travels but who was a horse breeder and horse trainer who, along with her brother Will, did much to set the landscape for American horse racing.

It is also the story of a horse. Battleship is the descendant of Man o'War who made his mar
Robert Beveridge
Dorothy Ours, Battleship: A Daring Heiress, a Teenage Jockey, and America's Horse (St. Martin's Press, 2013)

Full disclosure: this book was provided to me free of charge by Amazon Vine.

This is the stuff Hollywood dreams are made of, but Hollywood never made a picture of it, despite there being a Hollywood connection to this tale (more on that later). Why? Because, I'm guessing, when Sam Goldwyn and his lot heard the story, they collectively snorted and said “it may be true, but audiences will nev
Kerri
Oct 02, 2013 Kerri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story was more like the biography of Marion Dupont -- not that I'm complaining -- with flashes of Bruce Hobbs's terrifying childhood mixed in. Marion duPont, is more than an heiress, although her family never wanted for money because they had the good fortune to invent gunpowder--and no matter how bad a recession is, war never goes out of style.

Her father, William Sr. was the black sheep of the du Pont family, cast out of the family and the family business after a scandalous divorce, he cho
Heather
Dec 26, 2013 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book might not have originally caught my attention except for the fact that I recognized the horse’s name from my visit to Montpelier last year and the visit left such a lasting impression on me that I immediately had to read this book that was connected to it. I loved horses as a kid, did some riding in my teen years, and before my love of historical fiction came my love for horse-themed novels. This book takes the whole horse experience that I loved to read about as a kid and made the peo ...more
Bookworm1858
Source: Received an ARC from Amazon Vine in exchange for an honest review.

This book first got my attention when I saw it featured by the publisher on Netgalley; unfortunately my copy expired before I got to it so I was pleased to see it for offer on Amazon Vine, giving me another chance to check out what seemed to be billed as a very gripping read. While it was not to my taste, I think there will be fans of the story.

I've always heard that little girls love horses but maybe there was something w
Amanda
Aug 22, 2013 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: equine
This book is as much about the horse as Seabiscuit was...meaning it's not, it wasn't meant to be. Battleship wouldn't have become the legend that he was without the people around him. They molded him into what he became, helping him fulfill his potential to the fullest. I rank this book among my favorites, right up there with Laura Hillenbrand's Seabiscuit, and hope that some day a movie is made out of it. So much history, so much detail, it was like I was living their world, in a time when wome ...more
Lynne
Sep 09, 2016 Lynne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read for horse lovers. The story recounts the life of Marion duPont, the owner, as well as jockey, Bruce Hobbs. The entire book compels with all the exploits of duPont and her life as a horsewoman.
Nancy Hartney
Jul 06, 2013 Nancy Hartney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For a work of non-fiction, Battleship was a fast and pleasant read. Steeple racing (jump racing) is not as popular in U.S. as in England hence these unusual and athletic horses are often missed. For horse lovers, Dorothy Ours' book offers a window on the underbelly of steeple racing and the society pages that chronicle the season.
Melissa
Nov 22, 2013 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting. I learned a lot about the DuPont history at Montpelier, which I knew very little history of their residency there. I'm glad that they've kept Marion's Red Room and the other DuPont room which is a bit tacky. Very interesting and, serious, Battleship and Annapolis are buried at the end of the Mansion front yard.
Kim Hollstein
Note to self, NOT A REVIEW!!! Found this great at the beginning, loved the history and the careful consideration that goes into caring for a horse, as well as the breeding. But then it got weighed down in the middle with much of the same, just not enough new material to keep me interested, even though I love reading about horses more than any other topic. Stopped at page 200.
Krista
Aug 29, 2013 Krista rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
well written book about a little known piece of history. I enjoyed learning about Battleship and his owner, Marion du Pont. its always a joy to read about strong women who change history. A very good book for any history enthusiast and especially a sport and horse lover.
Joyce
I am glad to have read about Marion DuPont Scott and her wonderful horse "Battleship." It was tedious at the beginning, especially about equine lineage and numerous races, but the last third, when actor Randolph Scott, gets involved and Battleship goes to England, made the tedium worthwhile.
Caren
Jun 04, 2015 Caren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the book, but found it slow reading. There are so many details, all wonderfully done, that I couldn't speed through it.
Rebecca
Dec 16, 2013 Rebecca rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Interesting history, an awful lot of horse racing/steeplechase information which somewhat broke up the flow. Not as good as Snowball or Seabiscuit, but still a good read.
Sue
Sue rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2016
Mary Bowen
Mary Bowen rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it liked it
Aug 15, 2015
Will Cook
Will Cook rated it liked it
Jun 13, 2014
Kelly
Kelly rated it liked it
Aug 30, 2013
Sx3
Sx3 rated it liked it
Jun 29, 2013
Nicole
Nicole rated it it was ok
Jul 20, 2015
Tobi Taylor
Tobi Taylor rated it liked it
May 11, 2013
Nikki
Feb 15, 2015 Nikki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved it. Recommended to all horse lovers.
Beth
Beth rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2015
Beth Kluesener
Beth Kluesener rated it liked it
Jan 19, 2016
Jamye
Jamye rated it really liked it
Jun 26, 2013
Diana
Diana rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2016
Nin
Nin rated it really liked it
Oct 24, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Always been a bookworm. Love horses. Love history. Horses led me to become an author, because too many goodies about the great Man o' War and his era had been buried in the past -- had to share.

And then Battleship and his people stepped up, and showed how researching their lives wasn't enough -- they made me hear the music of storytelling.

Along with books, horses, and history, I love music, visual
More about Dorothy Ours...