Past Secrets

Past Secrets

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  1,169 ratings  ·  101 reviews
They all hide secrets that won't go away....

From the outside, the welcoming, garden-adorned houses of Summer Street are the picture of Irish charm. But on the inside, unexpected and heartbreaking secrets swirl. At house number thirty-two, hardworking, single-mother Faye Reid conceals the truth about her marriage from her fiery daughter, Amber. But Amber, a budding artist...more
Published December 26th 2007 by Downtown Press (first published 2006)

Christine
When I first started reading Cathy Kelly, I hated how she had 3 very main characters and stories going on. When the chapter ended I wanted to know more about that character, not someone new. But as you get further into the book she nicely spins the three characters together. I love how the underlying theme of this book was about building inner strength and facing the "demons" of the past, leaves you feeling like "live for the future"!
Paige
This was my first read from Cathy Kelly and it does remind me of an Irish Winteral Lane. Careful when you keep secrets from the past because they always come back to haunt you. The author does into just enough character detail to keep you interested and is all in all, well written. I'll read more from Cathy Kelly.
Lauren
I really enjoyed this. To be honest, I bought it because I liked the cover and its about Irish families. But I ended up thoroughly enjoying it. You follow 4 women of 3 different families, all different generations. We all have secrets that we don't need to keep.
Julie
I loved this one - can't figure out why I prefer London and Irish stories but I do. Strong Irish women who all have a secret that catches up with them - Cathy Kelly is one of my favorites.
Chantal
Ce livre trainait dans ma bibliothèque depuis un peu plus d'un an, mais j'étais trop absorbée par The Hunger Games et Harry Potter pour en entamer la lecture... ;)

Les secrets de Summer Street raconte l'histoire de quatre femmes et comment les secrets de leur passé viennent bouleverser leur vie paisible dans un petit coin charmant de l'Irlande. Christie Devlin est professeur d'arts visuels, mariée depuis longtemps à un homme qu'elle adore. Le retour de Carey Wolensky, un artiste polonais reconnu,...more
Ketija Grēta
Grāmatas "Past secrets" nosaukums latviešu valodā ir "Meitiņ manu...", kuras autore ir Ketija Kellija. Darba žanrs ir romāns. Šajā grāmatā ir aprakstītas četru sieviešu dzīves, katra savā vecumā, ar citām domām un dzīves pagriezieniem, kā arī ar savu ģimeni, tomēr viņām visām ir kas kopīgs- katrai savs pagātnes noslēpums. Liela daļa šī romāna darbības norisinās Īrijā- Sammerstrītā, kur visi iedzīvotāji ir pazīstami viens ar otru. Sižets ir ļoti saprotams un pēc romānā rakstītā var saprast, ka da...more
Mιss •kαthєяίиє•  Τhε Emεrαℓd Pяίиcεss®
Apr 19, 2010 Mιss •kαthєяίиє• Τhε Emεrαℓd Pяίиcεss® rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all romantic souls
Recommended to Mιss •kαthєяίиє• by: my instict!
Shelves: favourites
Cathy Kelly's books always have a hidden meaning. This one taught me well the importance of never fearing my secrets - otherwise they will haunt me forever....
Three amazing woman and one teenager are the heroines of this book and soon they realise that their secrets will have to be faced one day and they must free themselves to live their lives with the best.
Camille
This is one of those annoying books that becomes unputdownable because of the strong characterisation but has awful writing - I felt the writer must think the audience is dumb and needs everything spelling out. A good light read though.
TMJ
Be careful when you keep secrets from the past because they will always come back to haunt you. Comfortable, Maeve Binchy style read like curling up with a cup of Hot Chocolate.
Redfox5
So nice to read a chick lit after so long away from one. There have been many battles and kids stuff in this book year but not enough books like this. When I started this I fell in love with it, thought it was going to be a 5 star read. Was loving the plot, the characters and wanting to find out what all these past secrets were. It sort of lost itself abit in the middle and I slowed my pace down to match. Luckly it picked up towards the end, made me shed a few tears. I'm glad things worked out f...more
Anne C.
A wonderful Maeve Binchy read-alike.
rameau
I honestly don't have a clue why I finished reading this one. Except that the paperback was lying on my desk for weeks and I needed something safe (as in I wasn't risking my Kindle) to read while travelling. I was expecting some kind of romance novel maybe with a bit more mature and realistic approach and that's about as much as I got.

What I didn't expect were three different novels in one about three different characters I never got the chance to like or care about. The only connecting thread...more
SIMON Karine
Ce roman nous dresse le portrait de trois femmes de trois générations différentes. Leurs points communs, elles habitent toutes les trois la même rue : Summer Street, et cachent un secret qu’elle croyait enfoui à jamais mais qui malheureusement va finir par remonter à la surface, et va venir bousculer leur vie tranquille, du moins c’est ce que laisse entendre le synopsis.

Christie mène une vie tranquille dans Summer Street avec son mari depuis trente ans. Ses enfants mènent à présent leur propre v...more
Anna
I had a hard time finishing this book. It seemed to drag on and on, and was repetitive. I got tired of the whining. Leave the past where it belongs, and quite hashing it over day after day. Also I found Amber's whole "following rock band going to America adventure" to be over the top and not believable. Honestly all of the characters made me feel impatient with them; I kept wanting them to get over themselves and stop living in the past. At times I found myself rolling my eyes, and wondering why...more
Rhonda Rae Baker
This was an enjoyable read but didn't get as deep with meaning as I hoped. The premise is to not hold secrets from yourself or others for they do eat you up from the inside out. I like that part and it kept me going because I wanted to know what the 'secrets' were. But, in the end, there was little fizzle to keep me emotionally involved. Maybe it was just more predictable or stereotypical than I prefer.

Either way, I have enjoyed this author and am usually able to get past her writing 'accent' wh...more
Natasha
This book was really quite good.

I thought I wouldn't like it, seeing as I'm fairly sure it's an adult book and I am but a naive teenager. But I loved it!

I loved all the different stories, (and, oh my gosh, it was in third-POV, such a change!!) and how they all intersected and how dark pasts were discovered. And the secrets were revealed in a timely fashion, not all at once nor did Ms. Kelly wait too long and lose my interest. She released everything gradually, like an IV-drip, never too much at...more
Leanne Hunt
A pleasant but unremarkable read, "Past Secrets" deals with the lives of four women of varying ages, all with guilty secrets which end up dominating their choices. As someone recently said to me, "That which you do not talk about rules your life." By interweaving past and present, the author portrays her characters with hidden depths, so that it is possible to see how their circumstances have come to be. All this is entertaining but it isn't gripping to the point that one can't put the book down...more
Steph Rose
It was a long time ago but I remember really enjoying it! I'll give it 3 stars :)
Catherine De genova
I really enjoyed this book. Big fan of anything set in Ireland (mostly). Loved the way characters were woven in and it was really a "feel good" read. Didn't predict the ending entirely either. That's always a plus.
Cheryl
I feel that this book was a script for a lifetime movie. It seemed like every chapter could end with a character looking off into the distance with sad music playing around her. Sample quote (you'll find one like this at the end of every chapter), "The strange feeling came through her again, and despite the warmth of the morning, Christie shivered." And it goes on and on... I don't want to ruin it for you, but each person has a PAST SECRET that they don't want to reveal. Watch what happens to th...more
This is the first book I've read from this author and, after reading her reviews, I assumed I was in for a good story.

However, I just could not finish it. It was too bitty with too many characters and too much going on. she should have had half the stories and done them in more depth.

I gave it a good go and read the first 100 pages but, after that, I skipped to the last chapter. If you guessed the ending at the start, you were probably correct as it was completely predictable.

Will give her one...more
Marisa
I liked this author. This was the first book I've read of hers and I'll definitely read more. Her writing style and ability to develop characters reminds me a lot of Maeve Binchy (another favorite). It tells the story of some women who all live on Summer Street in Dublin and the secrets that they have behind closed doors. I was worried that it was going to get a little slow about 3/4 of the way through and then it picked back up. I liked how the women grow and evolve and learn to move beyond the...more
Jessica Cross
I did enjoy this book, I liked most of the characters and the stories were all interesting, however I found myself always waiting for Maggie's story and I got pretty bored with the other characters during the book. I found the mid section had no real action in the plot. I did think that the majority of the book kept me interested cause I did finish it but I felt myself wanting to know more about the characters.
Overall it is enjoyable because I think the writing make up for an iffy plotline and I...more
Jacqueline
ive read quite a few books by cathy kelly and this was my least favourite, there was something about this book that was predictable and twee from the very start,my own theory though is that perhaps im just getting a small bit tired of the fact that quite a few of her books are about women in turmoil meeting by chance and having their lifes improved immeasurably because of it...I cant say i enjoyed this one but i like cathy kelly and have genuinely enjoyed some of her other books
Kerry
Quite a nice easy read.
Reading Fool
Set in Ireland, this is a story about three women who live on Summer Street, each of whom has a secret from her past. Faye has kept the true story of her life from her daughter Amber. Christie feels that her secret will devastate her husband James. And Maggie returns home to help her parents, after her own relationship with Grey has ended. The plot isn't very deep but the message is simple. Delightful read from Cathy Kelly as always.
Oma
Everyone has their secrets and their reasons for keeping them. The secrets hold power over their lives. Christie fears the effect it will have on her marriage. Amber is rebelling against her mother,Amber, whose secret is that she also had once done the same. Maggie has allowed her secret to affect how she lives. Only by facing their fears and divulging their secrets will their lives be healed.
Deb
A wonderful story revolving around the women who live on Summer Street in a suburb of Dublin. Christie is a 60ish art teacher; Faye is a single mom who lives with her teenage daughter, Amber; and Una Maguire and her adult daughter Maggie. Each have "past secrets" which have made them what they are and seem to have come back to bite them in the a**. Thoroughly enjoybable.
Amber Jones
A story of 4 women who are linked together by Summer Street, the neighborhood they live in or grew up in. Each of the women are of different ages and at different places in their lives, but they become connected thru circumstances out of their control.

Very good book about relationships: mother and daughter, husband and wife, girlfriend and boyfriend.

book starting to drag 2 14 Sep 21, 2012 08:32PM
  • Handbags and Gladrags
  • Love Rules
  • Filthy Rich. Wendy Holden
  • Welcome to the Real World
Born in Belfast but raised in Dublin, Cathy initially worked for thirteen years as a newspaper journalist with a national Irish Sunday newspaper, where she worked in news, features, along with spending time as an agony aunt and the paper’s film critic. However, her overwhelming love was always fiction and she published her first international bestseller, Woman To Woman, in 1997. She did not become...more
More about Cathy Kelly...
Someone Like You Always and Forever Best of Friends Homecoming Just Between Us