Start by marking “Gorgeous” as Want to Read:
Gorgeous

Gorgeous

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  2,203 ratings  ·  551 reviews
Inner beauty wants out.

When eighteen-year-old Becky Randle’s mother dies, she’s summoned from her Missouri trailer park to meet Tom Kelly, the world’s top designer. He makes her an impossible offer: He’ll create three dresses to transform Becky from a nothing special girl into the most beautiful woman who ever lived.

Becky thinks Tom is a lunatic, or that he’s producing a h
Published April 30th 2013 by Scholastic Press

Breathe by Abbi GlinesJust One Wish by Janette RallisonBetween the Lines by Tammara WebberGood For You by Tammara WebberThe Accidental Movie Star by Emily  Evans
YA celeb romance
24th out of 70 books — 108 voters
Throne of Glass by Sarah J. MaasThe Selection by Kiera CassGraceling by Kristin CashoreThe Iron King by Julie KagawaCrown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas
Princes, Other Worlds and Future Lands
95th out of 251 books — 258 voters

More lists with this book...

Shoshana
Dec 29, 2012 Shoshana rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: EVERYONE. Also, no one.
Rating: 3.5. Or 4. Or 2. I DON'T KNOW.

This was the most confusing reading experience EVER. EV. ER.

I'm pretty sure whatever editorial team took on this book, they completely missed the first forty or so pages. I barely made it through them: the voice is terrible, the writing is terrible, the dialogue is terrible - reading it made my eyes want to vomit. Everything was over-described. Whenever the MC, Becky, entered a room we got a laundry list of every piece of furniture, down to its make, model,
Kaethe
I've been a Rudnick fan since, let's say 1989 when his last novel, I'll Take It, was published (in the meantime I've been forced to keep up with his script writing). I love this guy. I have no idea how he manages to come out of nowhere with a Cinderella story featuring a dull teenaged trailer girl from Missouri and make it so perfect. Seriously: how did he get poverty so well? And middle America? Sure, I'm not at all surprised that he nails movie-making, and the empire of a Calvin Klein/Ralph La ...more
M.E. Welman (Paez)
Spoilers ahead and I want to say I haven't enjoyed a book so very much in such a long time.

I was immediately grabbed by Mr. Rudnick's first paragraph and could not put the book down until I finished it--just now. The words flew off the page; the descriptions, characterizations (Aimee and Suzanne were so spot on) and the fact that I'm willingly being taken on an improbable ride and buying into it page after page, just made me love this book that much more.

For those of you old enough to remember
Jasprit
Gorgeous was a strange book, overall I did enjoy it, but I can’t exactly say that I loved it. There were parts that I adored and parts which had me utterly baffled, hopefully I can put my finger on what I mean in my review because I feel as if I’m on a bit of a see-saw.

When Becky’s mum dies, she makes her promise that she will say yes. Becky is heartbroken over the loss of her mum but also baffled by what her promise means, until eventually she finds out. She’s left a number by her mum and immed
Mariana Zapata
I can name the number of books that make me laugh out loud on one hand. Maybe even on just two or three fingers to be specific. But THIS BOOK. My stomach hurt throughout so many parts of it.

When I first saw it, I was a little apprehensive about the concept but I said, "Okay." It was seven thirty in the morning when I put the book down and eleven that same morning when I woke up and picked it back up for the next three hours.

There's a lot of things I loved about it. Becky was funny, and likable
Heather
Will be published April 30, 2013, ARC from ALA.

This book was a hot mess!! Terrible dialog, and so overly descriptive is was painful. The premise was cool, but it just didn't work. The 'magic' was never really explained and while it is cool to see a person go from rags to riches, Rebecca/Becky never seemed to learn anything from her experience and it made me wonder why it happened to her in the first place. I wanted this to be funny/clever like Libba Bray's 'Beauty Queens' but it just never came
Howdy YAL
Really 1.5 stars. To see full review click here.

This book barely gets a regular format review.

That's how disappointing it is.

I was able to find one, one redeeming feature and that was the idea of the book. Which it failed epically on.

Sigh.

So yeah, let's get started.

I'll start with characters because if you have lousy characters, more often than not you'll have a lousy book. And boy is our main character a piece of work. I just....I just didn't like her.

It's not like she was Zoey Redbird offen
Caroline
4.5/5

When I was in middle and early high school, I was obsessed with Meg Cabot. There was something playfully magical about her books, kind of like an incredibly fluffy cupcake that you don't want to eat because it looks too pretty. There wasn't much substance to her prose--she preferred the chatty to the poetic--but you didn't need that. And it wasn't like sugar, which is actively bad for you.

Eventually, something stopped clicking with Cabot and me. Her latest offerings just haven't hit it. I'v
Gillian

Rating: I haven't had this much fun in a long time. WARNING: I would probably not classify this as YA, due to language and sexual allusions, but if you don't mind a little filthy humor, quirky insanity, and a total lack of reality, than you might want to give this strange little fairy tale a shot.

Originally posted at Writer of Wrongs

The cover: I love this cover, even if it doesn't exactly capture the fun, frothy nature of this book. It does get the mystical-ness off the red dress, and the backgr
Shreya (CCReviews)
Gorgeous was a...gorgeous novel! Every aspect of it was well played out and eye-catching. Although it started out pretty slow, I was completely hooked half-way through it. The characters were hilarious and lovable, the romance was endearing and the plot had a unique twist. A modern-day fairy-tale with many real-life conflicts. I laughed and cried my way through this wonderful book.

Like I said before, the characters were hilarious and lovable. The main characters Becky was very complex and a har
Naoms
Originally posted on Confessions of an Opinionated Book Geek

This book starts and it is intriguing. I liked Becky’s voice, felt the pain of her loss and was fascinated by the situation she finds herself in. Famous fashion designer Tom Kelley gives Becky a choice. She can stay with him in Manhattan, he will design her three dresses and she will become the most beautiful woman in the world. Or, she can go back to her trailer in the middle of nowhere America and back to her not so pretty life. Easy
Marissa Moore
Gorgeous is a realistic fiction book. Anyone that likes to read about magic, finding their true selves, or drama will love this book. In the story an 18 year-old girl named Becky is given the opportunity of a lifetime. Her mother dies and leaves her the phone number of the most famous designer, Tom Kelly. She heads off to New York to see him and he tells her that he will make her the Most Beautiful Women in the World with only three dresses. She becomes Rebecca Randle instead of plain-old Becky. ...more
Annette
I'd like to tell you about Gorgeous, even though I didn't finish it, because I think it's a good book -- for the right reader.

Becky's extremely overweight mother dies, and she finds a note with a phone number on it. She calls the number, and ends up in New York, meeting Tom Kelly, reclusive designer to the stars (think, maybe, Tommy Hilfiger?) Turns out he knew Becky's mom when she was young and a beautiful model. Tom says he can help Becky become the most beautiful girl in the world.

And he does
Christianna Marks
You can read this and many other reviews on my YA book blog The White Unicorn!

I have to tell you something... I'm in love with this book! I haven't read a book like this one in a long time. It kinda made me feel the same way as when I read Libba Bray's "Going Bovine"! It's one of those wild and kooky rides that is dunked into enough reality that you go along with it. Just like eating a whole bag of cookies with some really good milk, you can't stop yourself. I laughed so hard I wanted to cry an
Karen
OH, PAUL RUDNICK. I owe you an apology.

Back in June, when you sat down at my table at the ALA Young Adult authors shindig, my brain said, "Paul Rudnick...Paul Rudnick...something to do with movies?" And of course you were flawless of skin and delightfully charming of manner, and so I thought, yes, movies. Scriptwriting. Producing. Something. And I listened happily to you describe your novel, in which Becky Randle, trailer girl from East Trawley, MO, receives a mysterious offer from the incompar
Allyson
Rudnick does a masterful job of displaying just how depraved our society is becoming, when Scholastic chooses to publish a work so lacking in any sort of literary merit. Gorgeous is an excellent example of just how far down the pike we have come. When a book for teens has three times more f-words than the actual number of pages, it’s a bit frightening.

And yet, despite all of those unnecessary words, Rudnick does craft some hysterical scenes and situations. His characterizations, while frequently
Onaca
I'll tell you straight off the bat that the first few chapters of this are torturous to read. The writing is painfully over descriptive. Thankfully, I trudged through and found that, yes, eventually the book does get better. It's still nothing amazing, but I enjoyed it. Gorgeous is a modern day fairytale that is absolutely ridiculous and it had me laughing quietly to myself quite a bit. If you're looking for a quick, fun read, this would be a great choice.
Liviania
I feel in love with GORGEOUS's hardcover jacket, but I might like the look of the paperback even better. (Plus, the white/black/red color scheme is ever so slightly more plot relevant than the black/red/blue color scheme.) GORGEOUS is the young adult debut of Paul Rudnick, a writer known for his plays and humor pieces in The New Yorker.

In this modern-day Cinderella story, Becky Randle is left adrift when her beloved mother dies. Then she finds a phone number in her mother's things, with instruct
Natalia
This Cinderella retelling was both sad and hilarious, silly and clever.
Review to come.
Katy Bogart
Where did this bizarre little book come from? I was not an easy convert but stuck with it and am glad I did; have now been utterly enchanted and seduced. Becky's beginnings are kinda contrived, Rudnick's voice stilted: girl lives in trailer park with single mom, works in small town grocery store, mom dies, girl is swept away to magical mansion of Calvin Klein who calls her plain/ugly but offers to make her the most beautiful girl in the world. HUH?!

And yet. Somewhere in between being literally
Serena Chase
(condensed from my review, posted at USA Today's HEA blog)
It was the cover art that first drew me in, but when I read the book description for Gorgeous by Paul Rudnick and realized it was a modern fairy tale with a twist, I simply had to have it. I'm a total sucker for a fairy tale, and since my sense of humor can be a bit twisted at times *wink*, it seemed like a pretty good fit.

Other than being the most originally irreverent take on a Cinderella story that I've ever read? Well, it's insanely w
Sandy
We all like to dream “what if.” One of my favorite movies is Pretty Woman where we have a young woman who was working the streets climb the ladder of success all because someone recognized that she had potential. Someone saw that she had more to offer society and eventually her life becomes a fairy tale. In Gorgeous, Becky and her mother live in a trailer and Becky’s mother has not left the house in years. Becky has wondered about her mother’s strange behavior but has not questioned her mother a ...more
Judith

This is a world famous designer speaking to a young girl:
" 'I met your mother when she was sixteen,' said Tom. I was waiting for my car in Times Square and I looked across the street and there was this girl. Oh, she was a total hick, she was on a field trip to the city, her high school had flown everyone up north to see some godforsaken musical. But I could tell she was dazzled, by the show and the city and by being away from home for the first time. She was wearing tight, acid-washed jeans an
Joel
The message was, I guess, "good". If this is going to teach self-involved girls about social responsibility, more power etc. But for me, with the refined tastes that come with being fully double the intended reader's age, the satire was painfully heavy handed. And even to the extent that this does teach a lesson about social responsibility, it still reinforces as many lessons of privilege as it upends. So let's call this the remedial course.
Lynn
This was a wonderful sly treat! Great dialog and fantastic fairy tale twist. I inhaled it with total glee. Of course, I WANT these three dresses - AND the shoes ;-)
Saru (Queen of Bookland)
Ridiculously cute. Ridiculously funny. Ridiculously unrealistic. Even the parts that weren't supernatural.

Review to come.
Elena
highly unrealistic & enjoyable. loved the writing!
Nova Lee  Zaiden
Sorry man, it was too weird for me. - Nova @ Out of Time

This book was weird. When I first read the synopsis, I found it interesting. It sounded pretty realistic and contemporary about finding yourself, but then it started getting weird. The "weird" things usually we explanations to situations that didn't add up. Like Rudnick didn't have an explanation for an event, so he just had some kind of random thing thrown in the blender. For example ---> (view spoiler)
Kris
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
For more reviews, Cover Snark and more, visit A Reader of Fictions.

Full disclosure: As I write this (December 4, 2013), I’m on the couch with my laptop on my stomach and trying to move as little as possible because that makes pain happen and also on some cold meds. This review may make no sense. Then again, this book also often didn’t make any damn sense. However, I thought you should be warned that my rambles may be ramblier and even more nonsensical than on a regular day.

I really do not know h
  • A Corner of White (The Colours of Madeleine, #1)
  • Relic (Books of Eva, #1)
  • Entangled (Entangled, #1)
  • Pieces
  • Defriended
  • Beautiful Decay
  • Sketchy (Bea Catcher Chronicles, #1)
  •  The Fire Horse Girl
  • Fat Boy vs the Cheerleaders
  • Not Your Ordinary Wolf Girl
  • The Summer Prince
  • Period 8
  • The Secret Ingredient
  • Tumble & Fall
  • Manicpixiedreamgirl
  • Nantucket Blue (Nantucket, #1)
  • Somebody Up There Hates You
  • The Last Academy
Paul M. Rudnick is an American playwright, screenwriter and novelist. His plays include I Hate Hamlet, Jeffrey, The Most Fabulous Story Ever Told, Valhalla and The New Century. He also wrote for Premiere magazine under the pseudonym Libby Gelman-Waxner. He is openly gay.
More about Paul Rudnick...
I Shudder and Other Reactions to Life, Death, and New Jersey I Hate Hamlet I'll Take It Jeffrey Social Disease

“wait," I said. "so you're saying that you proposed to me because I'm a mess and I'm a person and because we need each other, while Rebecca was —— something else? I get it, I follow you, but I'm also thinking, is the bullshit getting a little deep in here?"
"Yes, it is. You've caught me. And so fine, I will come clean, and I will tell you the absolutely true and naked reason why I want to marry you and only you, and not Rebecca."
"Why?"
"Because when I'm with you, I'm the pretty one.”
12 likes
“Dysmorphia is when someone looks in the mirror, and sees something else. While I studied my own whatever I was, I decided that maybe everyone has at least a touch of dysmorphia; maybe it's impossible for anyone to ever truly know what they look like.” 12 likes