Start by marking “Night Light” as Want to Read:
Night Light

Night Light

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  500 Ratings  ·  113 Reviews
Count the nighttime lights on a train, a helicopter, a fire truck, and seven more vehicles in this bold picture book with die-cut surprises.

1 light, shining bright? A train!
7 lights, flashing red and white? A fire truck!

And so on all the way to ten lights. Part guessing game, part counting book, NIGHT LIGHT is a boldly imagined book for the preschool child who loves cars,
Published April 30th 2013 by Orchard Books

To ask other readers questions about Night Light, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Night Light

Kathryn
What a cool concept. My son loves this book! I appreciate the creativity of the illustrations even though the style isn't a personal favorite.
Brandy Painter
Jul 17, 2013 Brandy Painter rated it really liked it
My son LOVES this book. The way the illustrations are cut to show the lights shining in the dark, and then when you flip the page the dark spots on the light scene are so much fun. He loves counting the lights, and then the dark spots.

It is REALLY annoying thought that the last illustration is actually on the end page so the slip cover is over half of it. Makes it hard to appreciate that last WONDERFUL illustration, particularly if its a library copy and you can't move it out of the way.
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
A fabulous book for kids! Night Light is a great bed time story book that features great illustrations, counting from 1 to 10, and a guessing game. Featured on each page are vehicle lights. Those lights start at one and go up to ten the further you get into the story. With each turn of the page, readers are given easy clues, and a set number of light to help guess what kind of vehicle the lights go to. When each paged is turned, readers discover what vehicle the lights on the previous page are f ...more
Eric
Sep 27, 2015 Eric rated it really liked it
This is a great book for kids to use their imagination and guessing ability coupled with their counting too. As you go through a city at night identifying what has 2 lights on it up through 9 lights on it you read a question to it then the kids guess what it might be before you turn the page. The last page reverts back to one light which is the young man's night light in his room where all the automobiles used in the beginning of the book are his toys in his room.

One thing that was really neat
Evelyn Mauldin
Nov 17, 2015 Evelyn Mauldin rated it really liked it
Shelves: math
Night Light is a counting book that embeds number into cut outs of the pages. The book consists of black pages with holes cut out that represent lights. Each page is labeled with the corresponding number of lights. This is helpful, because the child can only see the dots on the page, which can help them focus on counting. When you turn the page, the child sees that holes were lights to an object, which can facilitate engagement. These illustrations and cut outs also provide opportunities for the ...more
David
Feb 07, 2014 David rated it really liked it
Night Light by Nicholas Blechman is a rhyming die-cut volume featuring vehicles with their nighttime lights that is part guessing game (1 to 10), and part counting book. Every other two page spread has a question about the number of vehicle lights in the die cut holes on the opposite page. Readers and listeners can count the lights through die-cut pages and guess which vehicle they belong to before the page is turned.

A variety of vehicles are shown, mostly construction or road vehicles, but inc
Beverly
Jan 21, 2016 Beverly rated it liked it
Reviewed for Mock Caldecott Awards. An "OK" book for helping little ones to learn to count. What I didn't like about this little book was that it was kind of implies that the child should guess what was on the next page based on a little clue and the number of holes (which are cut out over the lights on the next page) but they don't follow easily. Example: On the left it said "visiting many sights" and on the right there are 6 lights showing through. When you turn the page it's a school bus at t ...more
Eva Kelly
Oct 31, 2014 Eva Kelly rated it really liked it
You know what's great about this one? Is that the holes in the book are holes on one side of the page and lights on the other.
I got a lot of good words from this one to put in my box.
The only one I couldn't figure out was why the fire truck came to spray water when the guy was just cooking? He's gonna be angry his meal was ruined. He should just take the batteries out of his smoke alarms like we did, so that way they don't beep every time he tries to make toast.
This was kind of a baby book but i
Rosemary Sullivan
Sep 12, 2013 Rosemary Sullivan rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Carolyn Hart
Dec 17, 2013 Carolyn Hart rated it really liked it
Night Light is a picture book my boys would have loved! Bright, colorful computer-generated illustrations include a zooming train, a hovering helicopter, a shiny taxi, a chugging tugboat, a hard-working loader and a gleaming firetruck. All have lights that shine in the dark. Youngsters will enjoy counting the lights, hearing clues and then speculating on what vehicle’s lights are glowing through the die cuts. As well, they will enjoy looking at the flip side of the die cuts and how Blechman inco ...more
Cristina
Sep 13, 2013 Cristina rated it really liked it
Shelves: libs-642, counting
Assignment: Picture Book Project
Category: Picture Book Soak – Book that caught my attention
Recommending Source: None required

Review: Lights, bold colors, simple illustrations, and vehicles invite the reader to explore what illuminates the city. As you count with the book, it encourages you to guess what vehicle is described before turning to the next page. Children that love a variety of vehicles will enjoy counting and guessing as they read the book.

This book caught my attention because of the
Tasha
Oct 18, 2013 Tasha rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Count from one to ten in this picture book all about lights at night. The book begins with a black page and just one light shining through from a die cut to the page beyond. Turn the page and you see that one light is a train. Keep turning and you start counting more and more lights, each attached to a different vehicle. Some of the pages have clues so that you can guess what sort of vehicle it is. This is a book perfect for small children to start to count and ideal for children who love trucks ...more
Amelia
Mar 12, 2015 Amelia rated it really liked it
Linnea L-O-V-E-D this book. So why isn't it 5 stars? I found it brain-meltingly boring to read as I am not a transportation obsessed toddler and I was constantly worried that we would end up tearing the hell out of the die-cuts that make up the 1-thru-10 counting of lights. But a strong reccomendation to at least read it if your toddler, like mine, loves all manner of trains, trucks, boats and planes.
Pamela
Aug 01, 2013 Pamela rated it it was ok
I can't help but compare the many die cut books coming out now with Laura Vaccaro Seeger's Green, which was not only clever, but beautifully done. Night Light didn't really do it for me; then again, I'm not a young person learning to count, so maybe that part is more appealing.

Some of the die cut "flips" felt forced or just kind of odd: Hey, let's do some ... birds! Yeah! The other thing is that the text makes using this as a guessing game really difficult. If you're going to do a counting book,
Cemeread
Mar 23, 2014 Cemeread rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Boys will love this counting, guessing game book, with die cut holes to match the vehicle's lights. From 1-10 every other spread is black with the number and a short clue in dotted letters (like light bulbs, neon, or lite bright). The page showing the vehicle and it's name is simple and full of color. A variety of vehicles are used.
Siskiyou-Suzy
Surprisingly fun. I enjoyed trying to figure out what each page was with the kids. Unfortunately, I think a lot of this fun comes from not knowing what comes next. Now that we do know what comes next, it's not nearly as much fun to read. But I think there's still something here. The end page is actually very cozy and sweet, a little microcosm of the book as a whole.
Carol
Mar 02, 2014 Carol rated it really liked it
Shelves: disd-reviews
This cleverly designed counting book offers diecuts of various sizes, begging the reader to guess what vehicle is being represented. Progressing from 1-10 trains, buses, boats and construction vehicles are presented, and the final spread takes us back to one, where the child's room is filled with toy-sized vehicles. Sure to be a favorite of beginning counters and fans of any form of locomotion, this will be a real crowd pleaser!

Jim Erekson
Sep 19, 2013 Jim Erekson rated it liked it
This concept book presents mostly different kinds of vehicle lights. Each 'night' (black) double-page spread begins a guessing game, with the text giving a hint. The answer to the guess is given on the 'light' (full color) overleaf. Because it's a cutout book, it was fun to see what Blechman did with the holes when I turned the page and the holes faced the other way. The graphic style of colored-in geometric shapes kept the game of the holes front and center. There was little reason to spend tim ...more
Mitchell Ary
Oct 22, 2014 Mitchell Ary rated it liked it
Shelves: edrd-314
i liked this book because of how it kept the reader intrigued by asking the reader to keep guessing what was on the next page. and from an adult stand point they were extremely hard to guess. fun for an audience to read.
carrietracy
Oct 02, 2014 carrietracy rated it really liked it
My kid loves this book. He would read it all day every day. The illustrations are clear and attractive and there's counting. I can't complain too much.
Mary
A transportation book that is also a counting book and guessing game. The black pages with die cuts make this a very clever book for preschoolers.
Hannah Duncan
Sep 02, 2014 Hannah Duncan rated it it was amazing
Awesome book comparing light and dark using different ways in which light and dark may be seen in everyday life. Neat creativity in this book!
Sheryl Fessler
Jan 24, 2016 Sheryl Fessler rated it it was amazing
Adorable book for 3-5 yr olds. Holes on each page become functional things on the other side. Super cute. Great for a gift.
Apr 12, 2015 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
We got this book from the library and love it! Great graphics and a cute idea. And my kid loves vehicles so it's perfect!
Melissa
Jan 05, 2016 Melissa rated it liked it
Challenging guessing game - even the 6 year old at story time had a tough time guessing most of these.
Karen Mahtin
Jul 25, 2014 Karen Mahtin rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
There are too many unfamiliar vehicls for a 17 month-old. Otherwise he liked it.
Carissa
Jul 02, 2014 Carissa rated it it was amazing
Loved the art in the book and how the cutouts were used on every page. Very clever!
Sylvester
Jun 03, 2015 Sylvester rated it it was ok
2* art
2* concept

Maybe this will go over better when Squirt's older.
Stephanie Sapp
Jun 23, 2014 Stephanie Sapp rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014-2x2-list
Love the picture art used in book. Mixture of Joseph Little Overcoat and Train.
Bree
Feb 27, 2014 Bree rated it really liked it
Shelves: preschool-books
Notes:
counting book with cut-out clues as to what is next
  • One Gorilla
  • Say Hello Like This!
  • What Will Hatch?
  • Count the Monkeys
  • Digger, Dozer, Dumper
  • One Two That's My Shoe!
  • Peck, Peck, Peck
  • Dinosaur Kisses
  • Flight 1-2-3
  • Steam Train, Dream Train
  • Train
  • No Fits, Nilson!
Nicholas Blechman is an internationally recognized illustrator, designer, and art director. His award-winning illustrations have appeared in GQ, Travel + Leisure, Wired, and the New Yorker. He is currently the art director of the New York Times Book Review.
More about Nicholas Blechman...