Start by marking “Night Light” as Want to Read:
Night Light

Night Light

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  372 ratings  ·  101 reviews
Count the nighttime lights on a train, a helicopter, a fire truck, and seven more vehicles in this bold picture book with die-cut surprises.

1 light, shining bright? A train!
7 lights, flashing red and white? A fire truck!

And so on all the way to ten lights. Part guessing game, part counting book, NIGHT LIGHT is a boldly imagined book for the preschool child who loves cars,
Published April 30th 2013 by Orchard Books

To ask other readers questions about Night Light, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Night Light

Brandy Painter
My son LOVES this book. The way the illustrations are cut to show the lights shining in the dark, and then when you flip the page the dark spots on the light scene are so much fun. He loves counting the lights, and then the dark spots.

It is REALLY annoying thought that the last illustration is actually on the end page so the slip cover is over half of it. Makes it hard to appreciate that last WONDERFUL illustration, particularly if its a library copy and you can't move it out of the way.
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
A fabulous book for kids! Night Light is a great bed time story book that features great illustrations, counting from 1 to 10, and a guessing game. Featured on each page are vehicle lights. Those lights start at one and go up to ten the further you get into the story. With each turn of the page, readers are given easy clues, and a set number of light to help guess what kind of vehicle the lights go to. When each paged is turned, readers discover what vehicle the lights on the previous page are f ...more
David
Night Light by Nicholas Blechman is a rhyming die-cut volume featuring vehicles with their nighttime lights that is part guessing game (1 to 10), and part counting book. Every other two page spread has a question about the number of vehicle lights in the die cut holes on the opposite page. Readers and listeners can count the lights through die-cut pages and guess which vehicle they belong to before the page is turned.

A variety of vehicles are shown, mostly construction or road vehicles, but inc
Eva Kelly
You know what's great about this one? Is that the holes in the book are holes on one side of the page and lights on the other.
I got a lot of good words from this one to put in my box.
The only one I couldn't figure out was why the fire truck came to spray water when the guy was just cooking? He's gonna be angry his meal was ruined. He should just take the batteries out of his smoke alarms like we did, so that way they don't beep every time he tries to make toast.
This was kind of a baby book but i
Rosemary
Carolyn Hart
Night Light is a picture book my boys would have loved! Bright, colorful computer-generated illustrations include a zooming train, a hovering helicopter, a shiny taxi, a chugging tugboat, a hard-working loader and a gleaming firetruck. All have lights that shine in the dark. Youngsters will enjoy counting the lights, hearing clues and then speculating on what vehicle’s lights are glowing through the die cuts. As well, they will enjoy looking at the flip side of the die cuts and how Blechman inco ...more
Cristina
Assignment: Picture Book Project
Category: Picture Book Soak – Book that caught my attention
Recommending Source: None required

Review: Lights, bold colors, simple illustrations, and vehicles invite the reader to explore what illuminates the city. As you count with the book, it encourages you to guess what vehicle is described before turning to the next page. Children that love a variety of vehicles will enjoy counting and guessing as they read the book.

This book caught my attention because of the
Tasha
Count from one to ten in this picture book all about lights at night. The book begins with a black page and just one light shining through from a die cut to the page beyond. Turn the page and you see that one light is a train. Keep turning and you start counting more and more lights, each attached to a different vehicle. Some of the pages have clues so that you can guess what sort of vehicle it is. This is a book perfect for small children to start to count and ideal for children who love trucks ...more
Pamela
I can't help but compare the many die cut books coming out now with Laura Vaccaro Seeger's Green, which was not only clever, but beautifully done. Night Light didn't really do it for me; then again, I'm not a young person learning to count, so maybe that part is more appealing.

Some of the die cut "flips" felt forced or just kind of odd: Hey, let's do some ... birds! Yeah! The other thing is that the text makes using this as a guessing game really difficult. If you're going to do a counting book,
Cemeread
Boys will love this counting, guessing game book, with die cut holes to match the vehicle's lights. From 1-10 every other spread is black with the number and a short clue in dotted letters (like light bulbs, neon, or lite bright). The page showing the vehicle and it's name is simple and full of color. A variety of vehicles are used.
Carol
This cleverly designed counting book offers diecuts of various sizes, begging the reader to guess what vehicle is being represented. Progressing from 1-10 trains, buses, boats and construction vehicles are presented, and the final spread takes us back to one, where the child's room is filled with toy-sized vehicles. Sure to be a favorite of beginning counters and fans of any form of locomotion, this will be a real crowd pleaser!

Jim Erekson
This concept book presents mostly different kinds of vehicle lights. Each 'night' (black) double-page spread begins a guessing game, with the text giving a hint. The answer to the guess is given on the 'light' (full color) overleaf. Because it's a cutout book, it was fun to see what Blechman did with the holes when I turned the page and the holes faced the other way. The graphic style of colored-in geometric shapes kept the game of the holes front and center. There was little reason to spend tim ...more
Mitchell Ary
i liked this book because of how it kept the reader intrigued by asking the reader to keep guessing what was on the next page. and from an adult stand point they were extremely hard to guess. fun for an audience to read.
carrietracy
My kid loves this book. He would read it all day every day. The illustrations are clear and attractive and there's counting. I can't complain too much.
Hannah Duncan
Awesome book comparing light and dark using different ways in which light and dark may be seen in everyday life. Neat creativity in this book!
Karen Mahtin
There are too many unfamiliar vehicls for a 17 month-old. Otherwise he liked it.
Carissa
Loved the art in the book and how the cutouts were used on every page. Very clever!
Stephanie Sapp
Love the picture art used in book. Mixture of Joseph Little Overcoat and Train.
Bree
Notes:
counting book with cut-out clues as to what is next
Barbara
This is a unique counting board book about vehicle lights. Every other 2 page spread contains a question regarding the number of lights in the die cut holes on the opposite page. When the page is turned the it reveals a vehicle and lights. With the first read through this would make a great guessing game! Subsequent readings will spark conversations between child and reader and it's sure way to start a fun create-a-book project at home! This clever addition to the multitude of counting books is ...more
Nitza Campos
Will remind you of Laura Seeger's book, Green.
Rachael
Rant: Do NOT like the fact that the last page of the book is actually the end page so the jacket cover blocks half of the last page!

Side note: I couldn't help but to think of a Lite Brite whenever I read the text, so that tugged on my heart strings a little bit.

Anyway...

I don't have much else to say. Night Light is a counting concept book that will keep the childrens' interest. I like the cut outs so that the children can count the number of lights and make a guess as to what the lights belong
heather
Great book for kids who like vehicles.
N
Feb 09, 2014 N added it
Shelves: children-s
Counting book, cutouts, guessing
stillme
Really cool - I immediately added this to our wish list to own.
Becky
This is a cute book for the preschooler who loves "things that go." Every other page is pitch black (the "night" portion), with "lights" shining through the die cuts in the pages. Each night page increases the lights 1-10 (and then an additional 1). A hint is given so the child might guess the kind of truck, car, boat or plane will be on the next page, which shows the "thing that goes" during the day. Be sure to notice how the die cuts are blended into the scene on the page turn. Fun!
Barbara
I thoroughly enjoyed this book from beginning to end. I like how the story begins and ends on the endpapers, and how young readers count the lights as they read. I also like how the questions provide hints as to what they'll find when they flip the page. Since the book starts with one, moves through all the numbers until ten is reached, and then returns to one, readers have plenty of opportunities to enjoy the different die-cut illustrations created through Adobe Illustrator.
Yesi
Introduces different vehicles and numbers to 10. This book is for very young readers. Children can count the holes on the right page that represent lights on next vehicle.
Nicole C
Just ok... I was hoping for more specific "clues" so that kids could really try and guess the machines on the following page. "2 lights hovering in flight" was one that most young kids would be able to guess correctly. But "4 lights, left, center and right" felt off. Who would've ever been able to guess that one? I did like the last page (end page) when you saw the little boy playing in his room with all of the machines. And yes, it did remind me of a Lite Bright.
Corinne
A fun peak-hole book. What's next? Can you guess?
  • One Gorilla
  • Dinosaur Kisses
  • Again!
  • Train
  • Moo!
Nicholas Blechman is an internationally recognized illustrator, designer, and art director. His award-winning illustrations have appeared in GQ, Travel + Leisure, Wired, and the New Yorker. He is currently the art director of the New York Times Book Review.
More about Nicholas Blechman...
Forecast 100% Evil Crime (Nozone, #6) How to be an Illustrator Information Graphics: Animal Kingdom