Start by marking “Picture Day (Missy's Super Duper Royal Deluxe, #1)” as Want to Read:
Picture Day (Missy's Super Duper Royal Deluxe, #1)

Picture Day (Missy's Super Duper Royal Deluxe #1)

This series (just like Missy herself) is super duper royal deluxe!

This series is part of Scholastic's early chapter book line, Branches. Aimed at 5- to 7-year-olds, this line of books is for children who are just starting to read independently. With easy-to-read text, high-interest content, fast-paced plots, and illustrations on every page, these books will boost reading c
Hardcover, Library Edition, 80 pages
Published April 30th 2013 by Scholastic, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Picture Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Picture Day

Teresa Bateman
Feb 05, 2013 Teresa Bateman rated it liked it
It's picture day! It's picture day! This is a day for glitz and glitter--for sparkles and spangles. Not for Missy, however. Her mother has assigned her the most boring of outfits. Her life is ruined. She goes through the day under a personal cloud of doom and bad temper. A friend, however, survives her attitude and provides a solution. This is an easy beginning chapter book with plenty of bright illustrations, a spunky main character, and a pink pink cover sure to attract the eyes of the target ...more
babyhippoface
Oct 15, 2013 babyhippoface rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-fiction, humor
I predict that little girls who are ready for smaller chapter books will love, love Missy and her super duper royal deluxe everything. She's cartoony cute, she loves horses and plaid and glitter and Pink (her cat), and her rockin'-cool pink cowgirl boots. She's got style and an attitude, and this book is just plain fun for little girls.

Personally, I love Oscar the thinker, with his magnifying glass and his books and his green bow tie and his quiet, pragmatic outlook on life. He's a terrific str
hhertzof
May 01, 2013 hhertzof rated it really liked it
Cute. Fun solution to the plot and the interior graphics are engaging. I suspect this would be JE rather than YR.
Carol
Melissa Abigail Rose, better known as Missy, is a very busy little girl. She has her own unique sense of style which can be a little too much for her mother to handle. Missy has the perfect outfit picked out for school picture day, but her mom has other ideas. But parents always get their way so Missy has to wear an outfit that is not Super Duper Royal Deluxe. She is not wearing any ruffles, ribbons, rainbows or sparkles...how dreadful! Luckily for Missy her friend Oscar is in a similar predicam ...more
Lisa
Apr 29, 2013 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Missy's Super Duper Royal Deluxe #1: Picture Day (A Branches Book) - Library Edition by Susan Nees is a cute story for little girls.

It is about Melissa Abigail Rose and her VERY individual style and how she plans for picture day at school only to be thwarted by her mother and saved by her new friend Oscar.

My 4 year old daughter got a little bored with the story but it may be just a bit beyond her attention span capabilities. She stayed with me till the end despite the fidgeting.

I'm having a har
Dolly
Nov 05, 2013 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children who are starting to read graphic novels
This is the first book in the Missy's Super Duper Royal Deluxe series by Susan Nees.

It's a short, entertaining graphic novel for younger children and the plot is humorous. The illustrations are very colorful and cartoonish and I expect this series will especially appeal to younger girls. We all enjoyed reading the first two books in this series and I'm sure we'll look for other books in the series at our local library.
Barbara
Sep 03, 2014 Barbara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Missy is a very exuberant, individualistic young girl, and she is feeling very sad that she didn't get to wear what she wanted on picture day. The way she solves the problem, with the help of a friend, is inventive. I can imagine there is a little girl, or boy, just like her in most classrooms. Divided into chapters but easy to read, it would appeal to young elementary age girls. It is mostly a graphic type novel with some paragraphs of writing thrown in at times.
First, second, and possibly thir
Barbara
School picture day is challenging for just about everyone, but Missy isn't worried. She knows exactly how she plans to look. The problem is that her mother has other ideas and forces her to wear a plain outfit that doesn't suit her style or personality. Although she sulks and plots, it is her classmate Oscar who saves the day in his own inimitable fashion. Beginning readers will enjoy this series as they gain confidence in their reading ability. As I read the book, I smiled to myself while think ...more
Jess
Jun 21, 2013 Jess rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jayme
Shelves: children
This book was super cute and had me laughing through the whole story. Missy has big fashion ideas for picture day and plans plans plans to wear an outfit that has it all. Ruffles, rainbows, ribbons, and sparkles. But when Mom sees Missy, she decides that Missy needs help dressing and puts her in a white blouse, red skirt with red suspenders. It has officially become Missy's worst day. While grumbling darkly she is 'not' talking to Oscar but explains all the reasons she is having a bad day. In th ...more
Monique
Oct 14, 2014 Monique rated it really liked it
Cute tale of Melissa Abigail Rose aka Missy, and her big plans of what she is going to wear on Picture Day at school! Alas, Missy's Mom ruins her creative designs for a regular boring outfit and Missy thinks this will be her worst day ever. But maybe, just maybe, her classmate Oscar will be able to save the day - and her photo!
This short novel is a great stepping stone for emerging readers - just enough text and fun-filled illustrations. Book 1 in a series. Looking forward to reading the other t
Carrie
Jun 20, 2013 Carrie rated it really liked it
Missy expresses her individuality with her outfits, is distracted doing chores, and bubbles over with enthusiasm. She is like many little girls, which makes this book particularly appealling. This is a fun early chapter book full of illustrations complementing the story.
Tina Cho
Jun 27, 2014 Tina Cho rated it really liked it
This was a really cute easy chapter book for kids with a surprise ending. Missy is quite a character with her cat Pink and friend Oscar. I think every kid who goes through Picture Day will appreciate this book!
Cora
Jan 19, 2016 Cora rated it it was amazing
First grade pov: I think it was good. I liked the story. It's okay that it's a girl.
Ingrid
I think that girls will enjoy this beginning chapter book. We had picture day at school yesterday and I think that a few girls could have been the inspiration for this book. Lots of sparkles!
Karen Arendt
Feb 12, 2017 Karen Arendt rated it really liked it
This is a cute series for first grade. Missy has a hard time when things don't go her way for picture day and she tends to take it out on Oscar, who has a great idea to turn her day around.
Katie Fitzgerald
This is a review of both Picture Day and Class Pets.

In Picture Day, readers meet Melissa Abigail Rose - better known as Missy - as she plans her outfit for school picture day. Missy would prefer to an outfit made up of her a fuzzy hat, "dynamite" boots, a sparkly bag, a plaid skirt, and a glow-in-the-dark ring, but her mother has other plans. Missy turns up at school in a very practical, and very boring outfit. She's so upset that she spills her guts to Oscar, the class thinker, who at first see
Alexander Lee
Feb 19, 2017 Alexander Lee rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book because I like picture day. I also enjoyed this book because this book was about picture day.
Traci Bold
Sep 30, 2015 Traci Bold rated it it was amazing
Quirky and fun describe young Missy. She has a mind of her own and not afraid to use it.
In 'Picture Day' nothing goes right for Missy starting with her super duper outfit she chose that her mother forbid. This sets her up for a horrible picture day at school when nothing goes right.

Susan Nees delights early readers with her fun vocabulary and quirky illustrations for Missy and company.
This is the first of an early reader series kids will want to follow... 'Missy's Super Duper Royal Deluxe'.

I
Steph
Oct 17, 2015 Steph rated it it was ok
I like the BRANCHES series from Scholastic; I love the mixture of colorful illustrations with kid-friendly text.

This is the only book I've read within the BRANCHES books that I wasn't a fan of. I thought the layout of the pages wasn't as easy to read and, moreso, I didn't like Missy at all. Everytime her teacher would talk, she would listen for a second and then hear "blah, blah, blah" as the rest of the message. What are we teaching kids if this is the main character's respect level of her teac
Diane
Missy is excited about picture day because she wants to express her style. Her mother, however, doesn't care for Missy's sense of style and makes her wear a different outfit. Missy is angry and doesn't want to talk to anyone ... well, except maybe Oscar. After all, he is wearing a plaid vest and she LOVES plaid. But as the moment approaches to get her picture taken, Missy gets more angry, until she and Oscar figure out a solution.

Dena (Batch of Books)
So far, I am enjoying this new line of early reader chapter books from Scholastic. I love the simple, clean writing and the full color illustrations on every page. The illustration in Picture Day are adorable. They will appeal to little girls with imagination.

I gave this particular book 3 stars. While the writing was clean and illustrations inviting, the story itself didn't hold my children's interest.

Books for Kids
Maggie
Spunky Missy's day is ruined when her mom refuses to let her wear her Super Duper Royal Deluxe outfit on picture day. This beginning chapter book is very supportive for transitional readers just moving into longer texts.
Kristen
Mar 08, 2015 Kristen rated it liked it
Shelves: chapter-books
This series opener would be absolutely perfect for young Fancy Nancy fans who are just beginning to make the transition to chapter books, and who can't quite handle the actual Fancy Nancy chapter books yet.
Bonnie
Sep 10, 2013 Bonnie rated it liked it
Shelves: ez, 2013
Amusing and very pink/purple. The vocabulary might be a challenge for some EZ readers, but limited text means they will be able to get through one or two sentences on most pages. Realistic school scenes, and a cute, predictable-enough-without-being-too-obvious ending.
Andd Becker
Jan 07, 2015 Andd Becker rated it really liked it
Children will love reading this wonderful book with a message.
Jnase1
Nov 14, 2013 Jnase1 rated it really liked it
Well, now Imma haveta get the whole set. Too cute and fun. Perfect for those early readers itching to read chapter books.
Heather Jo
Jun 28, 2016 Heather Jo rated it really liked it
Shelves: meggie-list
Ophyra Martin
Aug 29, 2016 Ophyra Martin rated it it was ok
When I was in second grade I read the book and I appreciated it but there was something about the book that didn't tinker a bell in my mind.
Ellie
May 18, 2013 Ellie rated it really liked it
Cute, perfect for beginning chapter-book-readers. Fun and dressy-uppy without being sickeningly princessy.
May 08, 2013 Laura rated it really liked it
Shelves: bks-grade-2-3
Excellent first chapter book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Boris on the Move (Boris #1)
  • Kiki: My Stylish Life (Lotus Lane, #1)
  • Violet Mackerel's Brilliant Plot (Violet Mackerel, #1)
  • Princess Posey and the Perfect Present (Princess Posey, #2)
  • Like Bug Juice on a Burger (Eleanor, #2)
  • Mr. Pants: It's Go Time!
  • Stuey Lewis Against All Odds: Stories from the Third Grade
  • Dory and the Real True Friend
  • Rise of the Balloon Goons (The Notebook of Doom, #1)
  • Chews Your Destiny (Gumazing Gum Girl, #1)
  • Cow Boy: A Boy and His Horse
  • Eva's Treetop Festival (Owl Diaries, #1)
  • Sylva and the Fairy Ball
  • Stranger Things (Looniverse, #1)
  • Sleepless Knight
  • Binky: License to Scratch
  • Lulu Walks the Dogs
  • Claude In The City

Missy's Super Duper Royal Deluxe (4 books)
  • Class Pets (Missy's Super Duper Royal Deluxe, #2)
  • School Play (Missy's Super Duper Royal Deluxe, #3)
  • Field Trip (Missy's Super Duper Royal Deluxe, #4)