Start by marking “The Three Button Trick: And Other Stories” as Want to Read:
The Three Button Trick: And Other Stories

The Three Button Trick: And Other Stories

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  93 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Nicola Barker, Man Booker Prize–shortlisted author of Darkmans and The Yips and winner of the IMPAC Dublin Literary Award and Hawthornden Prize, gathers her finest short fiction in this irresistible collectionAudacious, original, clever, poignant—these are just a few words that describe the writing of Nicola Barker, an award-winning author who has been compared to Martin A ...more
Published October 16th 2012 by Open Road Media (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Three Button Trick, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Three Button Trick

Erin
The great thing about a short story collection is that there’s almost always something for everyone. Which is good because, though I don’t think highly of Nicola Barker’s much-praised writing talent, I was able to enjoy a few of the 19 stories included in this volume.

It took 93 pages for me to find a well-crafted, unique short story, but I must admit “Symbiosis: Class Cestoda” was worth the wait. What an astonishing idea! The solution to America’s growing obesity problem: Give them a tapeworm.
Angus McKeogh
Really hit and miss. Some stories great. Some inane and pointless. Have to say I'm a bigger fan of her novels.
Melissa
Excellent collection of short stories! Hilariously smart and wildly entertaining! Nicola Barker is such a great writer, witty and fresh! Will start to turn even the squeakiest of brain cogs collecting work-funk-dust in your 'ed. ;) If you are a slow reader like me, you will be annoyed that you can't finish some stories in one sitting because you will become addicted to the one you start to read, taking the book with you everywhere and wanting to sneak a peek whenever possible!
Peter Arango
Every once in a while a collection of short stories turns out to be completely compelling and totally engrossing. I've been teaching Salinger's Nine Stories for years, and I love them, but the time had come to try something contemporary. I had read a couple of Nicola Barker's stories in a collection, and thought she mightbe exactkly the right sort of next book for my seniors. Homerun!
J.M. Hushour
Barker's writing is highly disturbing and hilarious. "Inside Information" details the efforts of a fetus who has dirt on the Universal Soul to convince his mother to abort him since birth erases the incarnation memories. "Parker Swells" is about a philosophical fish-pond thief. "The Piazza Barbirini" is indescribable. A few misses, but mostly great.
Meghan
These stories were incredible. I absolutely love her style! So compelling, totally drawing you in. I was never sure what to expect. She kept me on my toes the whole way through. Thoroughly enjoyed it, and want to read much more by her!
Nate Johnson
The writing is incredibly formulaic. It's the literary equivalent of counting the number of times someone says "um" while delivering a lecture, except not nearly as entertaining.
Ryan
Meh. I'm trying.

But I admit I'm not the biggest reader of short-stories. Some in here are dynamite, but I'm running out of steam.
Allisonm
Sep 26, 2007 Allisonm rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: short story lovers
Very different short stories. Each one is about 6 pages, and they all seem to have some really manipulating characters. Totally enjoyable.
Emily
She got me again! It is IMPERATIVE that you read her novel Behindlings before reading these stories, the reveal is amazing.
Mylinh
A good writer and some good stories, but a few of the stories are a bit too disturbing for me. Didn't finish the book.
Yuliya
fun and easy reading. some stories are a little shocking. anything can happen with anyone.
Kira Henehan
I like her novels way better but as far as stories go, worth reading.
Ann
Ann marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2015
silversprite
silversprite marked it as to-read
May 30, 2015
Lela
Lela marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
Erin
Erin added it
Mar 28, 2015
Linda Lipko
Linda Lipko marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
Morgan Bell
Morgan Bell marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Shane Dougall
Shane Dougall marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Alison Clayton-smith
Alison Clayton-smith marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Jasmine
Jasmine is currently reading it
Nov 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

Nicola Barker is an English writer.
Nicola Barker’s eight previous novels include Darkmans (short-listed for the 2007 Man Booker and Ondaatje prizes, and winner of the Hawthornden Prize), Wide Open (winner of the 2000 International IMPAC Dublin Literary Award), and Clear (long-listed for the Man Booker Prize in 2
More about Nicola Barker...
Darkmans (Thames Gateway, #3) The Yips Wide Open (Thames Gateway, #1) Clear: A Transparent Novel Burley Cross Postbox Theft