Start by marking “Playing with Purpose: Mariano Rivera: The Closer Who Got Saved” as Want to Read:
Playing with Purpose: Mariano Rivera: The Closer Who Got Saved

Playing with Purpose: Mariano Rivera: The Closer Who Got Saved

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  35 ratings  ·  13 reviews
He’s a Hall of Famer in every possible way—and Playing with Purpose: Mariano Rivera is an easy-to-read, color-illustrated biography of the baseball’s all-time saves leader. What’s really cool is that when his storied career with the New York Yankees ends, Mariano Rivera plans to save souls in the ministry! Part of Barbour’s exciting “Playing with Purpose” series, this acco ...more
Published March 1st 2013 by Barbour Books

To ask other readers questions about Playing with Purpose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Playing with Purpose

Sealove
Wow...

Anyone who has followed baseball over the last 20 years has certainly seen this man standing up on the mound. And if you happen to be anything except a fan of the New York Yankees, the sight of him on top of that mountain was not a welcome one.

And yet, even as we watched him go about the dismantling of nearly everyone he has ever faced, there was always a sense that this was a special person. Well, we had no idea the extent of it until we read his story.

It turns out that Mariano Rivera is
Deborah Martinez
Opening Day has arrived, and I finished a baseball book to celebrate!

If you are looking for an easy to read color-illustrated biography of one of baseballs greatest, I would recommend picking up this book. It would especially be a great read for teenage boys!

I am not a New York Yankee's fan at all, but Rivera was an amazing closer, had an amazing career, and loves Jesus! A man who has his priorities set straight.

Rivera donates millions of dollars to different charities and always thanks God for
Odine
Although I am not a huge baseball fan, this book was a page turner for me. This book is about a MLB baseball player named Mariano Rivera who has become number one in career saves and has been named to be the leader of many successful baseball teams ever.

Born in Panama City, he grew up happily with his father who was a fisherman by trade. When he was old enough, he followed his fathers footsteps. His father encouraged his love for baseball throughout his childhood years.

When he decided he did no
Tom
(nb: I received a review copy from the publisher via NetGalley)

The last baseball book I read before this one was The Last Boy: Mickey Mantle and the End of America's Childhood, which recounted the misbehavior and redemption of Yankee great, Mickey Mantle. It was scary.

"Playing with Purpose: Mariano Rivera: The Closer Who Got Saved" tells a very different story about another Yankee great--the greatest closer in baseball history, Mariano Rivera.

I admit, I'm not the biggest Yankees fan in the worl
Theresaharris
Sweet memoir told in Mariano Rivera's natural and down to earth voice. Makes you feel like you have just had a long lunch with this humble and religious man. The book gives you a tremendous insight on who the person is, as you go along for the ride on a review of Yankees history. The book is not just for baseball fans. But if you are a Yankee fan, you will especially love it!
Destiny Rodriguez
Mariano Rivera has broken many records and holds many titles as well.
All Mariano wants to do is throw strikes.
Getting them out as soon as possible , and he succeeds. This book states many milestones in his career. Mariano Rivera started as a Yankee and til this day remains a Yankee.
When he enters the game you can tell he’s in full concentration and gets the job done.
Who knew as a kid being a great rock thrower from Puerto Caimito would land him on a baseball field.
Mariano Rivera enters the field
Delores Thomas
This is a play by play of the life of a Yankee pitcher. It covers his life, his Christian beliefs, and his baseball career. Very good.
Korinthia
Inspirational and Great Read!
Joe Solomon
I got this book from a First Reads giveaway, but I gladly would have paid money for it. This book is a tad bit on the religious side, but it still gives great insight into the life and personality of one of the best relief pitchers to play the game of baseball. Sports fans should enjoy this quick to read book, and it might even drag some religious fanatics into the world of sports. Rivera is an inspiration, and the authors of this book help showcase that.
Trey Nowell
Really awesome story about the greatest closer of all-time. Amazing hearing in a 2 week period how his pitch went up 10 miles per hour, where Mo said "It was his miracle given to him by God". Just started the book today and only put it down to sleep. Read in a very short time period and would keep the attention of any Yankees fan :)
Angela
Faith and family are highlighted in this book but its nice to go down memory lane with his career as a Yankee.
Paul
Good insite on what makes this guy tick. This boo is a lot more than baseball. Its about the man. There will only ever be one Mo. i won this book on Goodreads.
J
I won this in a Goodreads Giveaway.

Kept my interest despite the theme on baseball.
Joe Sanchez
Joe Sanchez marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Siege753
Siege753 is currently reading it
Feb 05, 2015
Candy VanDyke
Candy VanDyke marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
IrenesBookReviews
IrenesBookReviews marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
Lenny
Lenny marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
Steven
Steven marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Considering Hate: Violence, Goodness, and Justice in American Culture and Politics
  • The Rise and Fall of Adolf Hitler
  • Hooked: When Addiction Hits Home
  • A Time to Break Silence: The Essential Works of Martin Luther King, Jr., for Students
  • "You Can Tell Just By Looking": And 20 Other Myths about LGBT Life and People
  • Roads to Berlin
  • Robert Plant: A Life
  • The Green Boat: Reviving Ourselves in Our Capsized Culture
  • Why We Believe in God(s): A Concise Guide to the Science of Faith
  • The Kennedy Conspiracy
  • Cotton Tenants: Three Families
  • Beatles vs. Stones
  • The Kennedy Half-Century: The Presidency, Assassination, and Lasting Legacy of John F. Kennedy
  • The Second-Chance Dog: A Love Story
  • Noah's Rainy Day (A Liv Bergen Mystery #4)
  • Chinaberry Sidewalks
  • The Captain: The Journey of Derek Jeter
  • Growing Up Me: A Memoir in Poems
Jesse Florea has worked at Focus on the Family for 13 years. During that time he has been the associate editor for "Breakaway" magazine (for teen boys), editor of "Clubhouse Jr." magazine (for 4- to 8-year-olds), and developer and editor of the "Focus on Your Child's Tween Ages" newsletter for parents of 8- to 12-year-olds. For the last 10 years, he has been the editor of "Clubhouse"—Focus's magaz ...more
More about Jesse Florea...
Man On A Mission: The Tim Tebow Story (Zonder Kidz Biography) The One Year Devotions for Active Boys The One Year Father-Daughter Devotions The One Year Sports Devotions for Kids Devotions for Super Average Kids (Focus on the Family)