Start by marking “One For The Money (Stephanie Plum, #1)” as Want to Read:
One For The Money (Stephanie Plum, #1)

One For The Money (Stephanie Plum #1)

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  291,282 ratings  ·  11,064 reviews
Pestered by her close New Jersey family, Stephanie Plum offers to catch high-school crush Joe Morelli, cop turned bail jumper, for her cousin Vinnie's company. She questions "working girls" to find the missing girlfriend of vicious prizefighter Benito Ramirez while Joe secretly watches her back. Ranger mentors her and supplies vehicles when hers explode.
Audio CD
Published by Recorded Books LLC (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about One For The Money, please sign up.

Dee Funny, funny, funny. You'll laugh yourself silly at all the things that happen to Stephanie Plum, a bounty hunter. She has some interesting love…moreFunny, funny, funny. You'll laugh yourself silly at all the things that happen to Stephanie Plum, a bounty hunter. She has some interesting love interests and an interesting family, especially her grandmother and a quirky co-worker. Start with "One for the Money'", then "Two For the Dough" and follow them in numerical order; to get the most out of them. The I read about 12 of the books. Much funnier than Daniel Steel books.(less)

Kemper
It’s Gender Reversal Day here on Goodreads as I review One for the Money.

So Samuel Plum is an underwear buyer for a retail store who has recently lost his job. Desperate for cash, he blackmails his pervert cousin who runs a bail bonds agency into letting him go after a cop named Jane Morellie who was accused of murder and then skipped. There may be a personal revenge motive for Samuel in this because Jane is the girl who seduced him and took his virginity in high school. Since she never called
Claire Greene
Apr 14, 2008 Claire Greene rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
I. LOVE. THESE. BOOKS. SERIOUSLY. I am obsessed with this series. And you know when your brain keeps telling you that this is ridiculous, there must be a hundred books that are written better, or a better mystery, or whatever? Well, I don't care!!! This series is my ultimate guilty pleasure. I was hooked with the first one and have read the entire series thus far - including all the stupid mini books in-between. Now, those mini books I could do without and they always feel like an attempt to mak ...more
Jessica
Dec 28, 2011 Jessica rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jessica by: BC1
Dribble, dribble, dribble. To amuse myself I compiled a top 5 list of things from this book that any future bookclubs book shouldn't include:

1- a herioine who regularly wears spandex shorts (I see it was wrote in 1994, still...that was past the 80's...no excuses).

2- the term "crotch wrinkles." Used in a sentence: "By five o'clock I was feeling antsy, and my rayon skirt had serious crotch wrinkles."

3- a scene where a man masturbates on Ms. Plum's door (or any woman's door)

4- the term "boinked" es
Meg ♥
The movie came out a few weeks ago, and I haven't seen it yet. I figured this would be a good time to write a review about this book, since I read it a few months ago, but never got a chance to review it.

This book was highly recommended to me, because although I really do read a bit of everything I find chick-lit to be the most entertaining. When I'm in a bad mood I can sit down with a chick-lit about some crazy chick with usually unrealistic problems that makes my life seem boring and laugh my
Erin
Sometimes you just need to read a book like this. With mediocre writing and a plot as see-through as Grandma's underpants, it will take your mind off life's more substantial material for a while.
Inara
Funny and light-hearted book with a likeable heroine who never loses track of her goal to earn 10,000 dollars as a bounty hunter. Too bad it´s an old ex-lover she has to find but then - she still has a bone to pick with him....
This first book in the series made me jump outright on the Stephanie Plum-bandwagon and I prepare myself for an enjoyable ride!
Tatiana
Jan 25, 2010 Tatiana rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of funny mysteries
Recommended to Tatiana by: Heather
I've been seeing Evanovich books for years and not even once was I compelled to give them another look or find out if they were worth my time. I kind of regret it now.

This 1st book in the series about a female bounty hunter set in New Jersey ethnic neighborhood was quite a pleasure to read. The book was written about 15 years ago and definitely felt dated in many ways, especially in regards to "fashion" - spandex shorts, big hair, hoop earrings and all that. But the humor remained fresh, Plum/Mo
TK421
So with the release of the movie, I thought some words were in order. First off, this book is nothing more than pure, uncut sugar for the brain. The writing is, meh. The characters are, meh; except for grandma, she's funny as shit. But the overall story really did nothing for me. For some reason I just couldn't get excited about a female bailbondsman trying to make ends meet. And her exploits never really engaged me. (I know that was a very poor, and probbaly inadequate summary, O well.) Sadly, ...more
Dorothy
Jan 27, 2012 Dorothy rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery lovers
How is it that, having been an avid reader of mysteries for much of my life, I had never picked up one of Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum books? A gross oversight on my part that I have now rectified. I have finished the first one of the series.

I've been reading quite a few serious books this summer - "The Maytrees," "Falling Man," "Absolute Friends," and "A Thousand Splendid Suns" to name the most recent - and I was ready for a drastic change. This book certainly offered that.

I was captivated
The Holy Terror
Book: ★ ★ ½
Narration: ★ ½
I'm new to audiobooks, and at this point I'm not exactly sure how much they're for me. I can listen to whatever I want during my workday, so I figure, why not catch up on some reading while I do it? The problem is, I seem to come across more audiobooks that rub me the wrong way than those that don't. When the narrator is female and she reads the part of a male and is trying to either be sexy or menacing, I have a hard time with it. The same goes the other way as well.
Tea Jovanović
bozanstven humor, zabavno... autorka je divna koliko i njena junakinja Stefani Plam... imala sam to zadovoljstvo da je upoznam na sajmu u Njujorku davne 2002. I divna je koliko i njene knjige... To mi je jedno od najdražih iskustava :)
Tilly Slaton
One for the Money is a wonderful book! (REPOSTING DUE TO MOVIE RELEASE!)

I have always read psycho-thrillers, romance, paranormal romance etc. My momma told me, “You have to read Evanovich! You’ll laugh so hard!”

So, I did.

Stephanie Plum is a super cool character. She’s like any regular woman in the world, a fun personality shaped with a loving family, embarrassing moments and some bitter days. She lost her job. Her car was repossessed. She was forced to resort to accepting a job with her cousin V
Eric
Jun 26, 2014 Eric rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: I couldn't in good conscience recommend anyone else read this
Shelves: audiobooks, crime
My wife and I were heading to Philadelphia for a long weekend, and decided to get an audiobook for the road trip. After a short conversation about how that "female bounty hunter movie" was based on a best selling book, I downloaded this. I was slightly curious, as I have seen the author's name on bookshelves for years now, and didn't know anything other than that she was very fond of numbers in her titles.

Eight minutes into our road trip my wife asked me to shut the book off, as she had a heada
Heather
Stephanie Plum has hit some hard times. She’s lost her job as a buyer of cheap lingerie, fallen behind on her bills and has had her beloved car repossessed. She’s got moldy cheese and a stale loaf of bread in the fridge and she has hawked most of her furniture and major appliances to pay the rent and procure a P.O.S Nova. Stephanie doubts things could get much worse. She’s about to be proven wrong.

In a stroke of dumb luck, or perhaps, an evil twist of fate, Stephanie lands a job at her uncle Vin
Miss Kim
So I've finally met Stephanie Plum. I wasn't disappointed. I read this in a matter of hours, and laughed most of the time. She gets fired from her job, so she goes to work for her cousin Vinnie as a bounty hunter. Needing big cash, she takes the case of Joe Morelli, a cop wanted for murder. She stumbles her way through everything from stealing cars, shooting guns, catching Failure to Appears. I like her because she suffers the indignities of the everyday woman--bad hair, etc.
Petertpc
Well, it's a fast-read. I guess that's something. There are also a few minor laughs and a general feel good vibe to the story. But that's about it. I didn't much care for the writing and the plot itself just didn't grab me. An okay beach read but I won't be rushing out to grab the sequel.
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Okay, it's official. This book did not work for me.

Let's start with a confession: I am a Jersey girl. That's right, born and bred. Jersey girl from birth to present with a brief Boston interlude for college.

So, because of that, I really thought I would click with this series. I love anything funny, I can relate to all things Jersey, and most of my GR friends are crazy about this book. A sure thing, right?? Alas, this book just didn't do it for me. I found it to be really dated, not particularl
Lynn
The easy review here would be to just bash and toss around a bunch of mehs and ughs and dress it up with "stupid and trashy" and maybe a well placed "crappy pile of claptrap." Truth is, I didn't like it. But a lot of people do and I certainly read enough of what other people consider garbage to want to keep my glass house situated in a stone free environment.

I'll just say that this one wasn't for me. There were a few laughs and it moved quickly, but I never found anything to really connect with
Monica!
When I was in seventh grade, freshly transferred to a new school, my sole friend invited me up to her friend’s mother’s friend’s cabin, to stay for a week with a bunch of kids I’d never met before. I don’t particularly like cabins. I burn in the sun. I don’t swim well. And I’m not good around strangers. So I told her no, and then my mother made me go back to her and say yes.

Sigh.

So there I was, at a cabin full of strange girls, knowing that at any second we were going to go windsurfing or someth
JG (The Introverted Reader)
Stephanie Plum has just gotten laid off from her job as a lingerie buyer for a company that turned out to be owned by the mob in New Jersey. Her Miata has just been repossessed, she's sold everything of value, and her refrigerator is empty. Out of desperation, she goes to see her cousin Vinnie, a bail bondsman, about a filing job. That's just been filled, but the secretary lets her know that there's an opening for a bounty hunter, and the money's good. Stephanie blackmails her way into taking a ...more
Marin
I wanted to like this book. I have been watching the growth of the chick lit genre with interest, especially in the sub-sub-genre of chick-lit legal thrillers and mysteries. I think there's cool stuff happening here.

Unfortunatley, I'm not a fan of this book, and I won't be continuing this series. I was looking for something easy and breezy, but not dumb. Stephanie Plum, the main character, made decisions that didn't make sense to me. I suppose the writer could have described the complex emotions
Jasmin
I never expected much from a woman named after a fruit. Especially a plum.

And I didn't expect a lingerie buyer to do a spectacular job out of bounty hunting either.

Apparently, even the police and Vincent Plum, owner of 'Vincent Plum Bail Bonding Company" didn't expect much either.

But when a girl has been laid off and desperate enough, there is nothing she wouldn't do, just to get $10,000, even though her life is at stake.

SO how does she get the $10,000? All she has to do is bring Joe Morelli in
Penny

Honesty time.

I'm among the 1%.

the 1%, monty burns
Whoa, folks. Not this 1% (although how awesome would that be? Owning attack hounds. Rocking a monocle. Wearing titanium shoes. Using fancy words like 'indubitably' and 'mustachioed'. I'd be the best billionaire evah.)

I'm talking about the other 1%. You know, the people who read One for the Money and didn't like it. People such as:

The Church Lady

Grumpy Old Man

These guys

...Me...

(I guess this means I'm officially old and boring or whatever.)

But yeah, I totally do
Wendy
I had been told that this was a really fun series. They were not wrong. I laughed my way through this book in only about 30 hrs. It was just too funny to put down.

Stephanie Plum just lost her job and is now hawking stuff from her apartment to get money to live on. She hears that her cousin is looking for someone to do filing at his bail bonds business. But when she gets there she is too late to get the job. But he does have another job that will make her money fast. She becomes a Recovery Agent
Becky
I think I am surprised by how much I enjoyed this. It was exactly what I needed right now: light, funny, and quick.

I'm not really a huge fan of chick lit (though I am scared I might be becoming one). But this was great. I liked this book right from the opening scene, and it was familiar and interesting to see where it would go.

There were some parts that had me laughing out loud, or stuck in gigglefits, and that's always a plus.

The mystery was intriguing, and thought it was wrapped up a little
Alice
Honestly, I really love pulpy series mysteries. I really love them. I can't help it. My mom handed this to me and it was like she offered me crack, and all unknowing, like an innocent babe, I tried some, and now I just CAN'T STOP. Does my mother know that she potentially ruined my life by hooking me on crack, I mean, Janet Evanovich?! I'll have to ask her. Anyway, these are funny, and the main character has a hamster she really cares about, and they're set in Jersey, and there's a good sense of ...more
Rick
This, fittingly, was my introduction to Evanovich. The woman has a way with characters! These people seemed so real, so human, so flawed, so vulnerable, and often so damn funny, I hated to close the book. Luckily, there are many more in the series for me to read.
Aimee
This was just what I needed! I haven't laughed that hard at a book since...I can't even remember.

Stephanie Plum recently lost her job as a department store lingerie buyer. Lack of opportunity sends her to her cousin's bail bonding company for work. She's thrown into becoming a bounty hunter and isn't even remotely prepared for what's ahead.

Joe Morelli is a blast from Stephanie's past. They have a very "intimate" history and now she's been charged with bringing him in on murder charges.

First of
Ashley
This is all Jason O'Mara's fault.

I was perfectly content never having touched this series, perfectly content with the righteous indignation I felt every time I passed the display table at Barnes & Noble with the movie-tie-in editions of this book piled three-high, like some ode to Katherine Heigl's perfectly formed ass. It seems the universe had other plans for me.

*Righteous indignation fueled by I'm not sure what . . . my tastes aren't exactly Pulitzer grade.

It seems the universe had other
J.
I first read this book in 2004 and I thought it was a really fun quick read. One for the Money is one of those beach reads that you can consume like popcorn, which is no wonder why I picked up a few of the other installments in the Stephanie Plum series as soon as I finished this one. This series manages to stay fresh up until about the tenth or eleventh book, where the same plot is used over and over again and you really become worried that the main character is stuck in a kind of Groundhog Day ...more
Katherine Heigl as Stephanie Plum? 257 1278 Nov 07, 2014 09:29AM
Morelli or Ranger 118 373 Nov 07, 2014 09:26AM
How many books can an author do without the character becoming stale? 60 519 Oct 21, 2014 02:38PM
Did anyone else read it in a jersey shore accent? 9 57 Oct 13, 2014 01:26PM
Stephanie Plum Books 8 90 Sep 26, 2014 09:41PM
Who's hotter, Morelli or Ranger? 30 156 Sep 22, 2014 08:22PM
Addicted to Serie...: Janet Evanovich 1 4 Jul 07, 2014 12:13PM
  • Revenge of the Spellmans (The Spellmans, #3)
  • B is for Burglar  (Kinsey Millhone, #2)
  • Strawberry Shortcake Murder (Hannah Swensen, #2)
  • Agnes and the Hitman
  • 2 Bodies for the Price of 1 (Body Movers, #2)
  • Murder With Peacocks (Meg Langslow, #1)
  • Spying in High Heels (High Heels, #1)
  • Size 12 and Ready to Rock (Heather Wells, #4)
  • Creation in Death (In Death, #25)
  • Murder Makes Waves (Southern Sisters Mystery, #4)
  • Abby Cooper, Psychic Eye (Psychic Eye Mystery, #1)
More about Janet Evanovich...
Two for the Dough (Stephanie Plum, #2) Three to Get Deadly (Stephanie Plum, #3) Four to Score (Stephanie Plum, #4) Hot Six (Stephanie Plum, #6) Seven Up (Stephanie Plum, #7)

“I like the way you've let your hair go curly," he finally said. "Suits your personality. Lots of energy, not much control, sexy as hell,"
Joe Morelli to Stephanie Plum”
283 likes