Start by marking “Churchill and War” as Want to Read:
Churchill and War

Churchill and War

3.12 of 5 stars 3.12  ·  rating details  ·  8 ratings  ·  4 reviews
Winston Churchill saved Britain and Europe by his incomparable leadership in the Second World War. His involvement in war, however, stretched over a far longer period and was one of the main themes of his long life. Cavalryman at Omdurman, infantry colonel in the trenches, First Lord of the Admiralty, as well as wartime Prime Minister, he wrote copiously about combat as a ...more
Published December 23rd 2005 by Bloomsbury Academic (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Churchill and War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Churchill and War

Goran Ovčariček
Let me start by saying that this book is absolute garbage. The purpose, the goal of this book just eludes me. I mean, it's obvious that Geoffrey Best regards Winston Churchill as a giant (perhaps a God?) among men, but to witness the depths and lengths of hypocrisy he is willing to spit out to "prove" his point is something else. It's borderline absurd. It's borderline idiocy. Best has his head so far up Churchill's intestines that he clearly lost his senses, so he wonders around in the dark try ...more
Bob Ryan
I was starting to read Churchill's history of WWII and surprised by the breadth of his knowledge of warships, modern weapon systems and war tactics. I thought this book would answer those questions. Mr. Best has authored several books on Churchill. This one covers Churchill from his first experiences in the British military to the Cold War and his death in 1965.

I was not disappointed. Best uses dozens of sources, including Churchill's own writings, to present the man and how he came to be one of
Jessica
This book was significantly better than its predecessor (Churchill: Study of Greatness). Surprisingly it was in a better order, not themed based and it explained his personality in greater detail. I still say that Manchester has the best Churchill biography.
Patrick
Sep 26, 2007 Patrick marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recently acquired at the Friends of the Library bookstore for the San Pedro, CA public library.
Timothy Chua
Timothy Chua is currently reading it
Feb 02, 2015
Kariem
Kariem marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Nicole Snazzy
Nicole Snazzy marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Jordan
Jordan marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2012
Simon Koenig
Simon Koenig marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
Now retired Geoffrey Best is an historian of mid-Victorian England, of modern warfare and its laws, and of Britain and Europe in the 20th century. He taught at the Universities of Sussex and Edinburgh until his retirement.
More about Geoffrey Best...
Churchill: A Study in Greatness Mid Victorian Britain 1851 1875 War And Society In Revolutionary Europe, 1770 1870 Humanity in Warfare Churchill