Start by marking “An Order of Coffee and Tears” as Want to Read:

A Contemporary Fiction
Approximately 280 Pages.

Description
Angela’s Diner has the reputation of a safe haven where patrons find a moment of peace as they linger over coffee and tears. For one young runaway, Angela’s is more than a place to tell your tale — it’s a place where with the magic of chicken and waffles, and a little bit of trust, may just save your life.

Gabriella S
Published September 2nd 2012

To ask other readers questions about An Order of Coffee and Tears, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Order of Coffee and Tears

The Espressologist by Kristina SpringerCoffeehouse Angel by Suzanne SelforsThe Coffee Girl by Shanna HatfieldHoliday Grind by Cleo CoyleLatte Trouble by Cleo Coyle
Coffee, Please...
9th out of 10 books — 10 voters
On What Grounds by Cleo CoyleHoliday Grind by Cleo CoyleThe Naughty Girls Book Club by Sophie HartBeing Friends with Boys by Terra Elan McVoySpilled Coffee by J.B. Chicoine
Coffee Cup Covers
54th out of 91 books — 18 voters

More lists with this book...

Patty
Oct 10, 2012 Patty rated it it was amazing
An Order Of Coffee And Tears
Brian Spangler

My"in a nutshell"summary...

Gabriella is a runaway with secrets. She finds a job and comfort at Angela's diner where she may come face to face with her haunted past. Angela's Diner is the place where you can get a cup of coffee to go along with your tears!

My thoughts after reading this book...

The diner is a neighborhood gem...people are greeted with sayings like...want a cup of coffee with your tears...and more. Customers who enter can shed whatever tro
Bonnye Reed
Oct 11, 2016 Bonnye Reed rated it really liked it
Shelves: keepers
GA I received a free electronic copy of this novel from Brian Spangler. Thank you, sir, for sharing your fine work with me.

This excellent novel is written in first person of the female character Gabby - I have often been disappointed by males thinking female, but Brian knew exactly what he was talking about. The reactions and emotions are absolutely spot on - he knows a lady or two very well.

An Order of Coffee and Tears is the tale of a small, old fashioned diner in downtown Philadelphia and t
Laurel-Rain
Angela's Diner in a Philadelphia neighborhood was one of those places that seemed to invite the needy to sit a spell.

So when Gabby showed up there one day after being on the run and hiding from her past, Ms. Potts's offer of a job as she stood there holding the "help wanted" sign felt like a welcome home.

Narrated in Gabby's first person voice, we slowly come to know the diner and its specialty of the house: "An Order of Coffee and Tears." A homey oasis in the midst of the stresses of life, the d
Kim
Oct 28, 2012 Kim rated it it was amazing
I was expecting a light fluffy read, and was pleasantly surprised; this is a really well written book and an excellent read. The characters are likeable and developed well. Coffe and Tears is really about the lives of people who have suffered challenges in life (like everyone does), and who are estranged in one way or another from family. The book tells the tale of how they come together to form a family of their own, revolving around a small diner in a large city.
Brian Spangler
Jun 28, 2013 Brian Spangler added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition

A New Contemporary Women's Fiction
An Order of Coffee and Tears a 66k word novel -- 4.5 out of 5 Stars!

Description
Angela's Diner has the reputation of a safe haven where patrons find a moment of peace as they linger over coffee and tears. For one young runaway, Angela's is more than a place to tell your tale -- it's a place where with the magic of chicken and waffles, and a little bit of trust, may just save your life.

Gabriella Santiago used to be a typical teenager who enjoyed the usual teenage
Nani
Dec 04, 2013 Nani rated it it was ok
Shelves: finished-2013
This book had a lot of intrigue in the description; lots of secrets in this diner! There was a promise of soul-searching and some emotional stories and the eventual story of the main character coming out of hiding.

Unfortunately the book never reached its potential. The characters were flat stereotypes and their stories were ones that were told before. The resolutions of each of the multiple sub-sub plots were nothing extraordinary and the only sub plot that existed for more than one chapter ende
  ღ☆ღ  Brenda
Oct 19, 2012 ღ☆ღ Brenda rated it really liked it
A good read.A little mystery,a little action & lot of hidden hurts and secrets.Nicely put together,fast paced and will keep you flipping those pages wanting to know how it all turns out.
Mary Bartorillo
May 29, 2014 Mary Bartorillo rated it liked it
I really liked this book. Simply written but with strong character development and interesting plot. A pleasant surprise.
Radhikarani
Dec 22, 2012 Radhikarani rated it really liked it
When you see a waitress at a diner, what do you see? Someone willing to serve order after order, guest after guest, someone unlucky enough to have to make do with the drudgery of such routine?

This book made me appreciate how many of us come with painful, abusive pasts and seek the healing power of simple, respectful routines like that of a waitress or cook in a place as boringly secure as a hole in the wall diner.

This is the story of a bunch of average Joe’s and Jane’s with battered pasts, hug
Cynthia
Aug 31, 2013 Cynthia rated it really liked it
An 'Order of Coffee and Tears' is a well paced, interesting story about the patrons and workers at a small diner where people congregate for meals and conversation. The entire book takes place within the confines of a diner. You learn more about the characters as they reflect on the drama of their past and present lives. The close-knit group includes a former teen runaway-now an adult working as a waitress, a beautiful woman who is caught in the cycle of abuse by a husband that she still loves, ...more
Mark
Oct 31, 2012 Mark rated it really liked it
I wasn't sure quite what to expect from this book, but by the end I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed reading it.

At the beginning it appears that the story is going to be about Gabby, a run away, who finds herself a job at a diner. The reader isn't told why she ended up there and it would appear that the rest of the story is going to be about that. But as it turns out the story is much more.

The story is about secrets held by each of the main characters, their shame and denials, an
Marie
Nov 07, 2014 Marie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anybody
Recommended to Marie by: Book bub
Just finished this one and it is a keeper. Takes the reader from Gabby's firts years as a waitress at Angela's Diner to years later. I'd live to visit a place like Angela's Diner where the waitresses know their regulars and always are ready to lend an ear whatever your problem. They really are a family, tho not related by blood. This book is one that stays with you and I read a lot of books so that is unusual. I'd read more if this were a series of if Brian S wrote more in this genre.

The title c
Nicola
Mar 22, 2016 Nicola rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-books
Angela's Diner is a cute little place where friends and strangers gather to share stories. An order of coffee and tears is commonplace, bringing in a variety of stories from many walks of life. Many of the stories intertwine in unexpected, yet believable ways. Spangler has been able to introduce a wide variety of characters without making the entire story disjointed. It really is a series of short stories, but not in the brief unsatisfying ways that short stories usually occur.
Being able to lis
Lora Cumbie
Pretty good

The book had an interesting and engaging plot. Most of the book was set in Angela's Diner, where people come and go and share their stories of joy and pain. I truly enjoyed enjoyed the well-developed characters. The plot was unique and entertaining. The author's writing style did not seem solid in the beginning of the book, but became more consistent as the story progressed. My only negative comment is that there were so many grammatical errors. If not for that, I would have easily ra
JamieLynn Boothe
May 01, 2013 JamieLynn Boothe rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love and adore this book!!! I love Gabby, Ms. Potts, Clark, Suzette and Jerod!! The story flows very well and so many times touched my heart and soul and yes I shed tears quite a few times as well. The way the story held deep meaning and told about incredible situations that would be difficult for anyone to have to go through held me within it's grasp. The way love was poured out onto the pages kept me captive!! 100% THUMBS UP for this book and I highly recommend it to anyone who ...more
Andrea Stoeckel
Feb 28, 2014 Andrea Stoeckel rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing and well worth tracking down. If you have ever heard thesong "Betty's Diner"by Carrie Newcomer,which by the way is one of the best contemporary folk story songs I know.

"An order of coffee and tears" is code for a needed listening ear in Angela's Diner in Philadelphia. Gabby is a waitress there and has learned the hard way what that means. She and Suzette and the other characters are fascinating studies in how we have a family of choice and a family of chance. May we all be a
Marie Gentilcore
This was an enjoyable read. The story is told by the main character, Gabby, who is a waitress at Angela's Diner in Philadelphia where the specialty of the house is "an order of coffee and tears" which is code for a customer with a sad tale to tell. At Angela's there are many stories including unplanned pregnancies, spousal abuse, a little murder mystery, among others. I enjoyed the characters and their camaraderie.
Truepixie
Oct 14, 2012 Truepixie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
An Order of Coffee and Tears
An Order of Coffee and Tears is an emotional story that draws you in from the first page. The stories heard at Angela's diner are ones we can all relate to in one way or another. It was such a wonderful tale of friendship and acceptance, secrets and all. This is a must read book, just make sure to have your coffee ready!
Jessica Pilcher
Sep 18, 2013 Jessica Pilcher rated it liked it
I loved the way this book ended..it wrapped up all the story lines and did not leave me wondering about what happened to any of the characters. I wish all books were like that. However, I thought that the book was a bit slow getting started and I thought the whole pregnancy thing was a bit redundant with almost all the women in the book having some sort of pregnancy issue..anyway women can connect on other ways then just being pregnant, but overall I enjoyed the book.
Joyce
Oct 16, 2012 Joyce rated it really liked it
A story about a runaway who moves from Texas to Philadelphia and stumbles across Angela's Diner, an old-fashioned place where she finds a job and a new home. Thinking she is the only person in the world with troubles, Gabby soon discovers that other people have similar stories from their past. This book grabs you very quickly and you can't put it down as you really want to see if life has good things in store for Gabby and her new "family".
(Tori-Smexybooks) smexys_sidekick
3.5

A simply told well written contemporary that tells the stories of the various customers who pass through a diner through the eyes of a young runaway.

Powerful in it's lack of drama and sensationalism, we watch as these stories intersect with one another to produce an acceptable and hard earned finale.
Becky
Nov 21, 2012 Becky rated it liked it
The story was interesting but somehow too drawn out and not enough fleshed out, if that makes any sense. I wasn't really invested in the narrator's character, and it seemed like the only problems people had were spouses who beat them and caused miscarriages. Three in one book (three different people) seemed like a bit much for a trope.
Kianga
Nov 25, 2012 Kianga rated it really liked it

I was not sure what to expect from this book. I was pleasantly surprised. I enjoyed how the author told the stories of the three different main characters and how their past linked them together.

I laughed and cried with the characters. I will be checking out other books by this author.
Debbie Murphy
May 02, 2013 Debbie Murphy rated it it was amazing
I almost put this book down. The first few chapters just seemed like they didn't have a common goal until all the characters had identities. This book had a lot of surprises in it. Not all happy. I definitely recommend this book.
Ashley
Jan 31, 2013 Ashley rated it really liked it
I really, really liked this one! So many emotions in one book! It is a story of how our secrets shape our lives, and also how your family is not just a product of birth. The characters were wonderful, and the story flowed beautifully.
Rebecca Murray
A little brutal.

A little brutal.

I find it discouraging when male authors take on such personal female issues, but Spangler does so in such an addictive manner I couldn't stop reading.
Janis
Sep 01, 2014 Janis rated it it was ok
More Kindle free/cheap stuff. Could be worse. A diner waitress and her coworkers and customers are linked by former abuse, haunting pasts, blah blah, but as you might expect, all is resolved and everyone lives happily ever after.
Edie Houston
Jun 22, 2013 Edie Houston rated it really liked it
raw emotions...for family separation, for battered women, for life-changing moments, for hope for them all
Alison  Johnson
Dec 05, 2012 Alison Johnson rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this. A story of a group of people that work in a diner that become a family. The stories they hear and the customers they meet will make you both laugh and cry.
Ruth
Oct 17, 2012 Ruth rated it really liked it
I was pleasantly surprised at how good this story was. Enjoyed the main character and the supporting cast too. Read it one evening...couldn't put it down.
  • The Sister Circle (Sister Circle #1)
  • The Ninth Step
  • Chasing Paris
  • The Reverse Commute
  • Cafe Du Jour
5621935
WHO ARE YOU? WHO ARE YOU?
I'M A WALRUS!
Brian Johnson - The Breakfast Club

Who am I?

I'm a resident of Virginia, living with my wife and children, along with three cats (sometimes more), a mouse, parrot, lizard and the funniest chinchilla on the east coast.

Although I live in Virginia, my heart is still in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania where I grew up. And I hope that one day, I'll be able to call Philad
More about Brian Spangler...

“Miracles aren't always a grand happening like the kind I learned about in Sunday school. Sometimes they're as small as giving someone a break.” 2 likes
“Miracles aren’t always a grand happening, like the kind I learned about in Sunday school. Sometimes they’re as small as giving someone a break.” 1 likes