Start by marking “The Joy of Planning Designing Minilesson Cycles in Grades 3-6” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Joy of Planning De...

Franki Sibberson

The Joy of Planning Designing Minilesson Cycles in Grades 3-6

Published September 5th 2012

Be the first to ask a question about The Joy of Planning Designing Minilesson Cycles in Grades 3-6

Suzanne Gibbs
Jul 16, 2013 Suzanne Gibbs rated it it was amazing
Shelves: teacher-books
This book gives terrific hands-on, use-it-today ideas and lesson plans for helping kids in the middle grades learn key concepts in reading. Franki takes a very practical approach, and lessons are in a logical, well-thought-out progression for helping your students engage more fully in the books they read. I especially appreciate the unit on characters. After using her strategies in this unit as a guideline, my kids are more in tune with and thoughtful about characters in the books they read. ...more
Barb Keister
Feb 02, 2013 Barb Keister rated it it was amazing
A practical resource for teachers who strive to always keep their unique group of students at the center of planning for instruction. Also helpful in understanding Common Core standards related to character and theme.
Josie Stewart
Jun 21, 2013 Josie Stewart rated it it was amazing
In the book author Franki Sibberson talks of the need to unpack goals and standards - this book is full of thinking that we need to unpack and process and put into practice. Short book but big on pushing our thinking! Clearly author puts students first.
Dawn Little
Jul 18, 2013 Dawn Little rated it it was amazing
Shelves: professional
Love Franki's thinking in this book about planning mini-lessons. Add to your professional TBR list!
Katie
Feb 24, 2013 Katie rated it really liked it
I liked the first part of this book better than the second half. I like how the author talks about this as a mentor text, but not a rigid series of lessons to follow. You can't just follow the same scope and sequence every year because your kids and their needs change. I get that and sometimes I plan with an end goal in mind, but not a distinct route planned out. Sometimes the detours are just as important. There are some things in this book that I would like to try. She offers several book ...more
Lou Broughton
Nov 22, 2012 Lou Broughton rated it it was amazing
Shelves: teaching

Thank you to my teacher friend, Tenille, for always having the perfect book to recommend that answers my questions and stretches my thinking at the same time. This is a book I will return to again and again. These lesson cycles are a great starting point for teaching deeper reading in a more holistic way. I especially enjoyed reading about how the author approaches the strategies required for deeper comprehension of nonfiction texts.
Shannon Clark
Aug 11, 2013 Shannon Clark rated it it was amazing
Shelves: not-reviewed-yet
Not only did Franki give bid ideas and questions that are essential for planning, but she gave mini lesson examples for several units or cycles. Ones that I really needed help with I might add!! Especially theme!

This is a must read for any teacher who reflects on their planning process and knows how important it is to the success of students.
Hilary
Apr 20, 2013 Hilary rated it it was amazing
Really helped me to think about planning my reading instruction in new ways. Franki writes in a way that is easy to absorb. The ideas are relevant and useful if you teaching reading or writing. It was kind of like having a conversation with her.
Tenille Shade
Nov 03, 2012 Tenille Shade rated it it was amazing
I plan to revisit the lessons in this short, easy to read professional book often. Franki Sibberson understand the world teachers inhabit. Her down-to-earth suggestions are helpful and practical. She has helped me reconsider my current planning practices.
Holly
Jul 21, 2013 Holly rated it it was amazing
I love Franki Sibberson's writing style - it's friendly and thought-provoking. She shares her planning processes and gives us great ideas for minilesson cycles. I'm always inspired by the amount of thinking she puts into her teaching
Sherry
Oct 28, 2012 Sherry rated it it was amazing
Excellent and refreshing book on planning reading lessons. Looki bode ward to sharing with many teacher friends!
Oct 05, 2013 Sarah rated it it was amazing
This book gave me some great ideas for mini-lessons and many of these I'm implementing in my classroom this year.
Cynthia
Jan 04, 2013 Cynthia rated it it was amazing
I read this book before going back to school from holiday break. It was excellent and practical. I loved that it wasn't a book of plans. Will recommend to fellow teachers in my district.
Heather Sisson
Jan 01, 2013 Heather Sisson rated it really liked it
This book has just the right balance of making the thinking involved in planning visible and current professional texts for teachers to refer to when thinking through their instructional decisions.
Stacey
Nov 02, 2012 Stacey rated it it was amazing
Great book with a lot of mini-lesson ideas aligned to the common core. I particularly enjoyed the chapter on non-fiction as I know this is an area I need to grow in as a teacher.
Mary Lee
Jun 19, 2013 Mary Lee rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult, professional
I know. About time I actually read all of the words. GREAT book.

Summer #bookaday 12
Jean
Jean rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2012
katsok
Sep 25, 2012 katsok rated it it was amazing
Love this book on planning mini-lessons in the reading and writing workshop.
Cheryl
Cheryl rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2013
Lynne
Lynne rated it it was amazing
Oct 12, 2012
Gigi
Gigi rated it it was amazing
Aug 09, 2013
Melodie Gustafson
Melodie Gustafson rated it really liked it
May 09, 2015
Erika
Erika rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2013
Donalyn
Oct 21, 2012 Donalyn rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this thoughtful book on planning minilessons. A must-read for every teacher's bookshelf.
Sherell
Sherell rated it really liked it
Jul 02, 2013
Nora
Nora rated it really liked it
Jul 19, 2013
Beth Robertson
Oct 31, 2012 Beth Robertson rated it really liked it
Handy and great for curriculum mapping
Fran
Fran rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2014
Bkrieth
Bkrieth rated it liked it
Jan 10, 2015
Kristen
Kristen rated it it was amazing
Nov 12, 2012