Start by marking “Child of the Sword (The Gods Within, #1)” as Want to Read:
Child of the Sword (The Gods Within, #1)

Child of the Sword (The Gods Within #1)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  474 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Rat is no ordinary thief. A feral, filthy and malnourished child; he haunts the streets of the medieval city Anistigh and survives on what he can steal. When he tries to steal a purse and bungles it, a mob wants to cut off his hand as punishment, so to save himself he slips into a convenient shadow to hide. Rat thinks it's just another warm and comfortable shadow cast by t ...more
Published August 23rd 2012 by Telemachus Press

Win a Copy of This Book

Child of the Sword
    Runaway Amazon bestseller, over 20,000 copies sold.

To celebrate the release of the 4th and final book in the series The God Within, the author is givi…more
    Giveaway dates: Dec 15 - Jan 15, 2015
    10 copies available, 88 people requesting
    Countries available: US and CA
  • Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Child of the Sword, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Child of the Sword

Alicia
    This book was good until the last twenty percent when it got so bad I had to make myself finish this. It just got so out there in comparison to the rest of the book that it almost didn't make sense. How things changed almost right angles how things were before.

The first part of Child of the Sword was good while I was being introduced to the world and the characters and things built up to the plot. I liked it, it was a decent introduction as I got used to the world since this was a new series to
    Deborah
    I was very pleased with this book. I bought it as a "recommended for you" book on Kindle...one of the ones that are offered for a few dollars.
    I read a lot of fantasy books lately and I thought this was one of the better reads.
    I loved the main character "rat" and I thought that the story line was very interesting.

I liked the way magic is protrayed.
    I am always interested in the various ways that writers protray magic and the creative ways they
    are able to be "different" than other stories with ma
    Damgaard78
    Really enjoyed the read. Interesting world building, young orphan with potential grows into supreme hero, ok sounds like one in a long line of storied already told, but I must say it works well here.

The story unfolds with a rapid pace and it was hard putting it down, which was also the reason I was kinda sad to realize that it was the first book in a series and the others are not out yet. That said its a very nice long book, often authors would have cheaped out and cut it into two, so I must sa
    Joe
    Rosver
    A very tedious book to read. The early parts of the book is quite alright, quite reveting even; but it quickly become tedious and frustrating. I work over a third of the book and then just give up. I just lost my strength and will to continue.

The characters are very, very dull and unimaginative:

Olivia, the master of the clan, is so one dimensional, overly so. You really couldn't be surprised by what she do or think. There is nothing much to her really. And she is not someone you would like. Very
    FIREnICE brah
    When I first saw this book, my expectations were zero. Seemed like the author was rather unknown, and there weren't many reviews. However, being a big fantasy fan, I couldn't pass up on a book with "sword" in its title. Very good decision if I might say so myself.

I'm not here to tell you what the book is about... The description is there for a reason. I also believe that tastes vary with each reader, but what I do know, is that I enjoyed this book very much.

Story is mostly told through one cha
    Joecrash411
    Once I got past the 1st chapter I was hooked. I've read the 1st (this one) and 2nd book in the series (The Gods Within) and think they are pretty great. Interesting storyline, good characters. Until I bite the bullet and pay the $26 for Jordan's last book in the Wheel of Time series this is now my favorite "go to" when I want to re-read something.
    Wes Davis
    Cautiously optimistic about the forth coming books. This one hooked me in the beginning, then kind of lost me, then hooked me again. I love the world that was created here, but honestly, there were a lot of cliche or, "I saw that one coming from a mile away!" moments. I'll continue reading though.
    Jessica
    A very gripping novel that I found myself devouring rapidly. You cannot help but love Rat, who becomes Morgin, as you follow him from beggar thief child to grown man, who loves and wants to save the family that doesn't always treat him as an equal.
    Jonathan Lin
    I thought this book was quite good, but felt a bit of the character development was forced. Sort of like a beat was skipped or something.

Certainly recommend it, and will read more.
    Betsy Baird
    Way way too much angst for me. I got through it, but don't really care about the characters enough to read anything else in the series.
    Chris Allen
    I am looking forward to reading more of this series.
    Lee
    Thoroughly enjoyed this book ... Definitely worth a read
    Lee
    I enjoyed this book
    Kitty Bullard
    Kitty Bullard marked it as to-read
    Bradley Williams
    Bradley Williams marked it as to-read
    Cindy Hipolito
    Cindy Hipolito marked it as to-read
    Jamie
    Jamie marked it as to-read
    Pam Mooney
    Pam Mooney marked it as to-read
    Sandra
    Sandra marked it as to-read
    Alexa
    Alexa marked it as to-read
    Brent Roberts
    Brent Roberts marked it as to-read
    Linda
    Linda marked it as to-read
    Dec 16, 2014
    Vykki
    Vykki marked it as to-read
    Dec 16, 2014
    • The Sorcerer's Ascension (The Sorcerer's Path, #1)
    • Provenance (Spellscribed #1)
    • Apprentice Swordceror (Blademage Saga, #1)
    • Advent (Advent Mage Cycle, #3)
    • Bastial Energy (The Rhythm of Rivalry, #1)
    • Mind Forged (Enchanters of Xarparion, #1)
    • Wielder's Awakening (Wielder, #1)
    • The Builder (The Young Ancients, #1)
    • The Dragonswarm (Dragonprince Trilogy, #2)
    • A New Age (Book of One, #1)
    • SORCERER (The Elemental Magic Series, #1)
    • Wizard Rising (The Five Kingdoms, #1)
    • Weapon of Flesh (Weapon of Flesh, #1)
    5203193
    Jim was born in Seattle, but he's lived most of his life in California, though he did live on the east coast and in Europe for a while. From a very early age he made up stories in his head, but he never considered writing. In his family you went to college, got a degree in something useful and got a real job. So he got a Ph.D. in optical engineering, and went to work as a research scientist. But h ...more
    More about J.L. Doty...
    The SteelMaster of Indwallin (The Gods Within, #2) The Heart of the Sands (The Gods Within, #3) When Dead Ain't Dead Enough (The Dead Among Us, #1) A Choice of Treasons Still Not Dead Enough (The Dead Among Us, #2)