Start by marking “Child of the Sword (The Gods Within, #1)” as Want to Read:
Child of the Sword (The Gods Within, #1)

Child of the Sword (The Gods Within #1)

Rat is no ordinary thief. A feral, filthy and malnourished child; he haunts the streets of the medieval city Anistigh and survives on what he can steal. When he tries to steal a purse and bungles it, a mob wants to cut off his hand as punishment, so to save himself he slips into a convenient shadow to hide. Rat thinks it's just another warm and comfortable shadow cast by t ...more
Published August 23rd 2012 by Telemachus Press

To ask other readers questions about Child of the Sword, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Child of the Sword

Alicia
Apr 05, 2013 Alicia rated it did not like it
This book was good until the last twenty percent when it got so bad I had to make myself finish this. It just got so out there in comparison to the rest of the book that it almost didn't make sense. How things changed almost right angles how things were before.

The first part of Child of the Sword was good while I was being introduced to the world and the characters and things built up to the plot. I liked it, it was a decent introduction as I got used to the world since this was a new series to
Bob Milne
Unfortunately, nothing about this one gave me enough motivation to continue beyond my initial reading. For starters, I found the storytelling somewhat weak, lacking any kind of stylistic flourishes that would serve to draw a reader in. In many places it reads like a screenplay, merely basic scene and set direction, without detail. Even the dialogue – which might have otherwise helped to redeem the narration – felt thin and emotionless.

The other issue for me is that I genuinely disliked Rat, the
Joe
Aug 18, 2014 Joe rated it did not like it
Deborah
Oct 10, 2012 Deborah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
I was very pleased with this book. I bought it as a "recommended for you" book on Kindle...one of the ones that are offered for a few dollars.
I read a lot of fantasy books lately and I thought this was one of the better reads.
I loved the main character "rat" and I thought that the story line was very interesting.

I liked the way magic is protrayed.
I am always interested in the various ways that writers protray magic and the creative ways they
are able to be "different" than other stories with ma
Rosver
Dec 04, 2013 Rosver rated it did not like it
Shelves: garbage
A very tedious book to read. The early parts of the book is quite alright, quite reveting even; but it quickly become tedious and frustrating. I work over a third of the book and then just give up. I just lost my strength and will to continue.

The characters are very, very dull and unimaginative:

Olivia, the master of the clan, is so one dimensional, overly so. You really couldn't be surprised by what she do or think. There is nothing much to her really. And she is not someone you would like. Very
Ares
Aug 02, 2015 Ares rated it liked it
3.5 Stars

The story began rather midly and grew in intensity until it reached its peak, this is the kind of story that made frustrated, all along questioning and questing a truth that was hidden by the author who tries to make you feel blind for not seeing something and this something turn up to be inexistant.

The developement of the main character is my main complain about the story, while the first chapters have drawn a peticular character with a weak and fearful personality and later chapters s
FIREnICE brah
Feb 23, 2013 FIREnICE brah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
When I first saw this book, my expectations were zero. Seemed like the author was rather unknown, and there weren't many reviews. However, being a big fantasy fan, I couldn't pass up on a book with "sword" in its title. Very good decision if I might say so myself.

I'm not here to tell you what the book is about... The description is there for a reason. I also believe that tastes vary with each reader, but what I do know, is that I enjoyed this book very much.

Story is mostly told through one cha
Fredrick
Jan 22, 2015 Fredrick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The evening of Jan 26, 2015 I had 3 books in front of me and after reading the back cover of two them and the dust jacket of the third I had decided that this book would probably be my second book. But just to be sure I always like to read the first few pages. After checking out the first book I opened Child of the Sword and those first few pages became a chapter and 287 pages later at 4 a.m. I put it down. With only about 20 pages let to read I think it is safe to safe to say this is the first ...more
Damgaard78
Sep 25, 2012 Damgaard78 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
Really enjoyed the read. Interesting world building, young orphan with potential grows into supreme hero, ok sounds like one in a long line of storied already told, but I must say it works well here.

The story unfolds with a rapid pace and it was hard putting it down, which was also the reason I was kinda sad to realize that it was the first book in a series and the others are not out yet. That said its a very nice long book, often authors would have cheaped out and cut it into two, so I must sa
JL Lucaban
May 12, 2016 JL Lucaban rated it really liked it
Hmmm... How would I describe this... Confusing, and very easy to understand at the same time. I love the story, it's characters, the scenes it conjures, and everything else. And the words, I'm not sure about the sentence construction and I won't comment on that since I'm not good at reviewing such things, but the words, it's like it was woven intricately, like a spell. I love that too, well for me that is.
Joecrash411
Jan 25, 2013 Joecrash411 rated it really liked it
Once I got past the 1st chapter I was hooked. I've read the 1st (this one) and 2nd book in the series (The Gods Within) and think they are pretty great. Interesting storyline, good characters. Until I bite the bullet and pay the $26 for Jordan's last book in the Wheel of Time series this is now my favorite "go to" when I want to re-read something.
Contrarius
Dec 18, 2016 Contrarius marked it as to-read
Shadow magic has very much been done before (see, for example, Jack of Shadows by Roger Zelazny and the Sandman Slim series by Richard Kadrey), but I enjoyed Doty's book A Choice of Treasons so much that I'm determined to try something else by him. We Shall See!
Jessica
Mar 19, 2013 Jessica rated it it was amazing
A very gripping novel that I found myself devouring rapidly. You cannot help but love Rat, who becomes Morgin, as you follow him from beggar thief child to grown man, who loves and wants to save the family that doesn't always treat him as an equal.
Wes Davis
Oct 04, 2012 Wes Davis rated it liked it
Cautiously optimistic about the forth coming books. This one hooked me in the beginning, then kind of lost me, then hooked me again. I love the world that was created here, but honestly, there were a lot of cliche or, "I saw that one coming from a mile away!" moments. I'll continue reading though.
Rachel
Jul 26, 2015 Rachel rated it really liked it
Shelves: magic, powers
I really liked this book, there is some good character development especially with the main character, you can't help but feel sorry for Morgin and sympathise with him. I look forward to reading the sequel.
Tshepo
Feb 01, 2015 Tshepo rated it really liked it
An overall good book. It started out rather slow and I was skeptical over the direction the author was taking, but the storyline improved as I read. My advise is, don't judge it from the beginning, the story gets better.
Shady Lubbad
Aug 21, 2014 Shady Lubbad rated it it was amazing
amazing....
Johnathan
Dec 31, 2014 Johnathan rated it it was amazing
I loved the Book and have been telling all my Friends about it.
Lee
May 26, 2013 Lee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly enjoyed this book ... Definitely worth a read
Jonathan Lin
Oct 03, 2012 Jonathan Lin rated it liked it
I thought this book was quite good, but felt a bit of the character development was forced. Sort of like a beat was skipped or something.

Certainly recommend it, and will read more.
Betsy Baird
Jul 27, 2013 Betsy Baird rated it it was ok
Way way too much angst for me. I got through it, but don't really care about the characters enough to read anything else in the series.
Marcelo
Apr 10, 2014 Marcelo rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-fiction
Its good, surprisingly good. Recomend.

Zanca
Chris Allen
Mar 28, 2013 Chris Allen rated it liked it
I am looking forward to reading more of this series.
Lee
Oct 13, 2013 Lee rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book
Evan
Evan rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2015
Klaas Hofstra
Klaas Hofstra rated it it was amazing
Dec 21, 2014
Muhammad Gibran
Another great fantasy novel.
Alex Rider
Aug 28, 2014 Alex Rider rated it it was amazing
Really liked the first book, but it got boring as the series kept going and too predictable.
Gaetan
Gaetan rated it liked it
Dec 16, 2015
Chanel
Chanel rated it did not like it
Apr 08, 2013
  • The Sorcerer's Vengeance (The Sorcerer's Path, #4)
  • A New Age (Book of One, #1)
  • Victor Deus (Heritage of the Blood, #1)
  • Provenance (Spellscribed #1)
  • Honor Bound (The Spare Heir, #1)
  • Apprentice Swordceror (Blademage Saga, #1)
  • Bastial Energy (The Rhythm of Rivalry, #1)
  • Rebel Elements (Seals of the Duelists, #1)
  • Nature Mage (Nature Mage, #1)
  • Mind Forged (Enchanters of Xarparion, #1)
  • Forest of Illusions (The Broken Prism, #3)
  • The Necromancer's Nephew (Songreaver's Tale, #1)
  • Balancer (Advent Mage Cycle, #4)
  • The Dragonswarm (Dragonprince Trilogy, #2)
  • The Builder (The Young Ancients, #1)
5203193
Jim has nine published SF&F books and he'll be releasing his tenth, Never Dead Enough, the 3rd in The Dead Among Us series, early next year. His first success came as a self-published writer when Child of the Sword went word-of-mouth viral about four years ago. He was able to quit his day-job as a running-dog-lackey for the bourgeois capitalist establishment, and work for himself as a fulltime ...more
More about J.L. Doty...

The Gods Within (4 books)
  • The SteelMaster of Indwallin (The Gods Within, #2)
  • The Heart of the Sands (The Gods Within, #3)
  • The Name of The Sword (The Gods Within, #4)