Start by marking “Child of the Sword (The Gods Within, #1)” as Want to Read:
Child of the Sword (The Gods Within, #1)

Child of the Sword (The Gods Within #1)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  531 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Rat is no ordinary thief. A feral, filthy and malnourished child; he haunts the streets of the medieval city Anistigh and survives on what he can steal. When he tries to steal a purse and bungles it, a mob wants to cut off his hand as punishment, so to save himself he slips into a convenient shadow to hide. Rat thinks it's just another warm and comfortable shadow cast by t ...more
Published August 23rd 2012 by Telemachus Press

To ask other readers questions about Child of the Sword, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Child of the Sword

Alicia
This book was good until the last twenty percent when it got so bad I had to make myself finish this. It just got so out there in comparison to the rest of the book that it almost didn't make sense. How things changed almost right angles how things were before.

The first part of Child of the Sword was good while I was being introduced to the world and the characters and things built up to the plot. I liked it, it was a decent introduction as I got used to the world since this was a new series to
Deborah
I was very pleased with this book. I bought it as a "recommended for you" book on Kindle...one of the ones that are offered for a few dollars.
I read a lot of fantasy books lately and I thought this was one of the better reads.
I loved the main character "rat" and I thought that the story line was very interesting.

I liked the way magic is protrayed.
I am always interested in the various ways that writers protray magic and the creative ways they
are able to be "different" than other stories with ma
Damgaard78
Really enjoyed the read. Interesting world building, young orphan with potential grows into supreme hero, ok sounds like one in a long line of storied already told, but I must say it works well here.

The story unfolds with a rapid pace and it was hard putting it down, which was also the reason I was kinda sad to realize that it was the first book in a series and the others are not out yet. That said its a very nice long book, often authors would have cheaped out and cut it into two, so I must sa
Fredrick
The evening of Jan 26, 2015 I had 3 books in front of me and after reading the back cover of two them and the dust jacket of the third I had decided that this book would probably be my second book. But just to be sure I always like to read the first few pages. After checking out the first book I opened Child of the Sword and those first few pages became a chapter and 287 pages later at 4 a.m. I put it down. With only about 20 pages let to read I think it is safe to safe to say this is the first ...more
Joe
Rosver
A very tedious book to read. The early parts of the book is quite alright, quite reveting even; but it quickly become tedious and frustrating. I work over a third of the book and then just give up. I just lost my strength and will to continue.

The characters are very, very dull and unimaginative:

Olivia, the master of the clan, is so one dimensional, overly so. You really couldn't be surprised by what she do or think. There is nothing much to her really. And she is not someone you would like. Very
FIREnICE brah
When I first saw this book, my expectations were zero. Seemed like the author was rather unknown, and there weren't many reviews. However, being a big fantasy fan, I couldn't pass up on a book with "sword" in its title. Very good decision if I might say so myself.

I'm not here to tell you what the book is about... The description is there for a reason. I also believe that tastes vary with each reader, but what I do know, is that I enjoyed this book very much.

Story is mostly told through one cha
Tshepo
An overall good book. It started out rather slow and I was skeptical over the direction the author was taking, but the storyline improved as I read. My advise is, don't judge it from the beginning, the story gets better.
Zoe Carmina
Jan 16, 2015 Zoe Carmina marked it as first-reads
Received the book for free through the Goodreads First Reads program.
Johnathan
I loved the Book and have been telling all my Friends about it.
Joecrash411
Once I got past the 1st chapter I was hooked. I've read the 1st (this one) and 2nd book in the series (The Gods Within) and think they are pretty great. Interesting storyline, good characters. Until I bite the bullet and pay the $26 for Jordan's last book in the Wheel of Time series this is now my favorite "go to" when I want to re-read something.
Wes Davis
Cautiously optimistic about the forth coming books. This one hooked me in the beginning, then kind of lost me, then hooked me again. I love the world that was created here, but honestly, there were a lot of cliche or, "I saw that one coming from a mile away!" moments. I'll continue reading though.
Jessica
A very gripping novel that I found myself devouring rapidly. You cannot help but love Rat, who becomes Morgin, as you follow him from beggar thief child to grown man, who loves and wants to save the family that doesn't always treat him as an equal.
Jonathan Lin
I thought this book was quite good, but felt a bit of the character development was forced. Sort of like a beat was skipped or something.

Certainly recommend it, and will read more.
Betsy Baird
Way way too much angst for me. I got through it, but don't really care about the characters enough to read anything else in the series.
Alex Rider
Really liked the first book, but it got boring as the series kept going and too predictable.
Chris Allen
I am looking forward to reading more of this series.
Lee
Thoroughly enjoyed this book ... Definitely worth a read
Lee
I enjoyed this book
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Karen
Karen is currently reading it
Feb 25, 2015
Anica Petrovic
Anica Petrovic marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
  • The Sorcerer's Torment (The Sorcerer's Path, #2)
  • Honor Bound (The Spare Heir, #1)
  • Provenance (Spellscribed #1)
  • A New Age (Book of One, #1)
  • Apprentice Swordceror (Blademage Saga, #1)
  • Advent (Advent Mage Cycle, #3)
  • Bastial Energy (The Rhythm of Rivalry, #1)
  • Mind Forged (Enchanters of Xarparion, #1)
  • Nature Mage (Nature Mage, #1)
  • Wielder's Awakening (Wielder, #1)
  • The Dragonswarm (Dragonprince Trilogy, #2)
  • Wizard Rising (The Five Kingdoms, #1)
  • The Builder (The Young Ancients, #1)
  • SORCERER (The Elemental Magic Series, #1)
5203193
Jim has eight published SF&F books, with two more due out in 2015. He's been unusually successful as a self-published writer; Child of the Sword went word-of-mouth viral about two years ago, and among all his books he has since sold close to 50,000 copies. With that success, he was able to quit his day-job as a running-dog-lackey for the Bourgeois capitalist establishment, and work for himself ...more
More about J.L. Doty...

The Gods Within (4 books)
  • The SteelMaster of Indwallin (The Gods Within, #2)
  • The Heart of the Sands (The Gods Within, #3)
  • The Name of The Sword (The Gods Within, #4)
The SteelMaster of Indwallin (The Gods Within, #2) The Heart of the Sands (The Gods Within, #3) When Dead Ain't Dead Enough (The Dead Among Us, #1) A Choice of Treasons Still Not Dead Enough (The Dead Among Us, #2)