Start by marking “Traitor in the Shipyard: A Caroline Mystery” as Want to Read:
Traitor in the Shipyard: A Caroline Mystery

Traitor in the Shipyard: A Caroline Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)

4.05  ·  Rating Details  ·  135 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
When Caroline learns that British spies may be lurking in Sackets Harbor, she is worried. Then, a long lost friend of Papa's shows up in town. Papa is delighted to give him a job at Abbott's Shipyard, but soon, strange things start going wrong. Caroline is sure a spy is making trouble at the yard--but is it one of Abbott's trusted workers, whom she has known all her life, ...more
Published February 26th 2013 by American Girl

To ask other readers questions about Traitor in the Shipyard, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Traitor in the Shipyard

Magic America by C.E. MedfordDaughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini TaylorGoodnight, and Thanks for the Vodka by Harpie2003 - Thanks for the Vodka by HarpieJane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë
Passing the Bechdel Test
177th out of 229 books — 44 voters
The Curse of Ravenscourt by Sarah Masters BuckeyClue in the Castle Tower by Sarah Masters BuckeyThe Stolen Sapphire by Sarah Masters BuckeyThe Smuggler's Treasure by Sarah Masters BuckeyThe Cameo Necklace by Evelyn Coleman
American Girl Mysteries
37th out of 57 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Panda Incognito
Jun 30, 2013 Panda Incognito rated it really liked it
My little sister got this book free from Barnes and Noble's summer reading program. She asked me to preview it for her, and make sure that there was nothing scary. It's nice to have an excuse for reading something so below my reading level. ;) Then again, I read plenty of books like these without a such excuse!

When I was younger, I read many of the American Girl mysteries, and felt that they were hit and miss. This is one of the well-done, compelling stories. The mystery was simple enough for a
Marian
Mar 11, 2013 Marian rated it really liked it
Shelves: readit, ag, 2013, 2014
Traitor in the Shipyard picks up right where Caroline's books leave off, which helps tie book #6 back into the rest of the series. Caroline's back home for part of the summer, unsure of when she'll be summoned back to her uncle's farm. While home, she wants to get in some sailing but the weather refuses to cooperate. Luckily her backup plan of spending time at the family shipyard is off to a much better start.

That is, until things down at the shipyard start to go horribly wrong. Sails are slashe
Tryina Denouement
May 17, 2013 Tryina Denouement rated it it was amazing
Well, I gave this book five stars because it managed making my mind think about terrorists, religious extremists,and other people who believe in causes that we think is bad. *gives virtual clap*

Well, (view spoiler) And it was dark for a children's book. Also, nobody here is the antagonist, really. (view spoiler) And that (view s
Jeneca
Sep 21, 2013 Jeneca rated it really liked it
I was excited to read this, as I am a huge fan of the Caroline series, as it is the only (current) AG series that actually deals with Death and more life threatening thins.
I was surprised that it took me a while to start really enjoying this AG mystery novel, as I am usually rivetd a few pages in. So things started slow, but hold on tight and it'll get better! Through the book the action wasn't to much and wasn't constant, constant, constant! I did guess one of the "who did whats" by the third
Heather
Nov 02, 2015 Heather rated it really liked it
I always enjoy the Caroline stories and this one was no exception. She's, by far, my favorite of the historical American Girls - and not just because she's from New York State (like me). This story had excitement and intrigue and espionage (always a plus for me). It also had all the things in it that I love about this series: lessons for young girls.

In this book, Caroline learns not to jump to conclusions, as well as not to judge people based only on her own experiences. During wars, right and w
Skylar
Feb 19, 2014 Skylar rated it it was amazing
This was the best American Girl mystery ever you need to read it!!!!!!
Sydney
Jun 13, 2015 Sydney rated it it was amazing
this book was amazing.it's filled with suspense,adventure,and mystery
Jun 26, 2014 Laura rated it really liked it
Lots of adventure and historical tidbits.
Julie
Jul 23, 2014 Julie rated it liked it
Shelves: kids, mystery
I liked this quite a bit – the mystery came together well and was believable. Caroline’s worry about the war and traitors got repetitive (though it was realistic). I didn’t really get why she would suddenly keep her friend Rhonda out of the loop and go spying in the middle of the night – bad decision-making. She got lucky a lot. I liked how the author showed the nuances of why someone might help the British.
Rivka Ray
This would have to be one of the best American Girl mysteries! I read Caroline's other mystery, The Traveler's Tricks first, and was unimpressed. But this one was well written and well balanced with mystery elements. I did have a clue as to who the traitor was, but I doubt I would have picked it up when I was younger.
Kelly
Jun 11, 2016 Kelly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ag-books, own
I should have never read this book. It was very good! One of my favourite AG mysteries so far. But now I want to read the rest of Caroline's books!

It was a good mystery, the suspense was great. Also the whodunit aspect was very unrevealing until the end. I like that it was a two-part mystery.
hhertzof
May 31, 2013 hhertzof rated it really liked it
2nd American Girl mystery I've read (we just got a batch in the library) and just as good as the first. It's wartime, so of course there are spies about, but some of them have reasons for defecting and there were a few surprise twists along the way that I didn't see coming.
Michael
Jul 08, 2013 Michael rated it really liked it
Our brave Caroline returns in a tale of spies, betrayal, and dreadful acts of war. While there was a distinct lack of cannons in this book, there was enough tension and mystery to make it a page turner for my seven year old. I have read worse books.
Kristine Hansen
Jan 30, 2014 Kristine Hansen rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, chapter-book
Lots of thrills - someone is betraying the shipyard and their country - but who? Secrets seem to be around every corner and the reader is kept guessing right up until the end. Good story!
Mariarosa
Mar 18, 2016 Mariarosa rated it really liked it
I loved American girl books when I was younger, and now my nine year old sister loves these books.
Jacqueline
Mar 25, 2015 Jacqueline rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-books
Great book!!
Sydney Martin
Sydney Martin marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2016
Leah
Leah rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2016
Kaitlin Negus
Kaitlin Negus rated it liked it
Jun 28, 2016
Jaye Smith
Jaye Smith marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2016
Alana Shay
Alana Shay marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Bee
Bee marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
Bailey
Bailey rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2016
Jessaleigh
Jessaleigh rated it liked it
Jun 15, 2016
Zainab
Zainab marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
Deborah
Deborah marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2016
Saratogacutie
Saratogacutie rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2016
Addison
Addison is currently reading it
Jun 07, 2016
Sheryl Hagan-Booth
Sheryl Hagan-Booth marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2016
Lookingforstars
Lookingforstars marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
  • The Hidden Gold: A Marie-Grace Mystery
  • Traitor in Williamsburg: A Felicity Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • The Traveler's Tricks: A Caroline Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • The Puzzle of the Paper Daughter: A Julie Mystery
  • The Cry of the Loon: A Samantha Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • The Crystal Ball: A Rebecca Mystery
  • The Cameo Necklace: A Cecile Mystery
  • Troubles for Cécile (American Girls: Marie-Grace and Cécile, #4)
  • A Spy on the Home Front: A Molly Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
I grew up in Maryland, in a house full of books! Both of my parents were avid readers, thank goodness. Before we traveled to a new area, my librarian-mom used to bring home historical novels set in that place. It was a great way to get excited about history.

I began writing stories when I was maybe 10 or 11. At 15 I wrote my first novel; I sold my first novel to a publisher 20 years later! Writing
More about Kathleen Ernst...

American Girl Mysteries (1 - 10 of 38 books)
  • The Silent Stranger: A Kaya Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • The Ghost Wind Stallion: A Kaya Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • Peril at King's Creek: A Felicity Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • Traitor in Williamsburg: A Felicity Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • Lady Margaret's Ghost: A Felicity Mystery (American Girl Mysteries (Quality))
  • The Traveler's Tricks: A Caroline Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • The Smuggler's Secrets: A Caroline Mystery
  • Secrets in the Hills: A Josefina Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • The Glowing Heart: A Josefina Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • The Hidden Gold: A Marie-Grace Mystery