Start by marking “Three Twigs for the Campfire” as Want to Read:
Three Twigs for the Campfire

Three Twigs for the Campfire

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  69 ratings  ·  43 reviews
Alternate cover edition - ASIN B008ZQ8WKG.

Billy is more than a little nervous. Even with all the excitement of his first "kids only" camp out, there is something truly bothering him. Listen to the fire crackle as the Miller children, in their campfire tradition, each tell a story. Will the fire last till Billy can fall asleep? Worse yet, what will happen when it is his tur
Published October 2012 by Createspace (first published August 12th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Three Twigs for the Campfire, please sign up.

Kelly I absolutely loved Jack's story about the dragon! …moreI absolutely loved Jack's story about the dragon! (less)

I was given a free Kindle version of this book by the author in exchange for an honest review. I would like to thank the author, Joseph Cognard, for giving me this opportunity!

I enjoyed this book. It was a quick read, something that I could snuggle up in bed and read from last night and finish it before my kids woke up this morning.

The story is a simple one: three children having their annual camp-out in their backyard, and while they are sitting around the fire, each one takes their turn telli
"Three Twigs for the Campfire" by Joseph Cognard is a very clever, entertaining compilation of three short stories, each narrated by one of three siblings around a campfire in their backyard. The three short stories are not specifically related in any way, yet the way Mr. Cognard has woven them into a single, longer story works very well. The entire presentation is fun to read, and is completely appropriate for adults as well as children. This book is written in a style and manner that a young r ...more
Mallory Heart
Dec 02, 2012 Mallory Heart rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Mallory Heart by: Joseph Cognard
Review of Three Twigs for the Campfire by Joseph Cognard
5 stars

A delightful interwoven story collection, “Three Twigs for the Campfire” is a collaborative family effort by the author and his daughters, who provided the lovely and well-done art renderings. Three children, Jack, Chelsea, and Billy, spend one night a month in the back yard “camping out.” Well, high schooler Jack and newly teenage Chelsea have done so for some years, but this is younger brother Billy’s first try-and Billy is just-a-
This was a delightful read. We have two brothers and a sister around the campfire telling stories. The youngest Billy is having his first opportunity to stay after dark. Each of the kids tells a story and as Billy struggles with the darkness, he finds his own story to share. This is a great read for upper elementary and middle grade readers. It is very entertaining, but does have a spooky factor going on to be aware of for the younger reader. There are illustrations, done as I understand it by t ...more
Creative and interesting story that will take you back do those old camping days with a twist. Excellent book.
Review also posted on my blog

Three Twigs for the Campfire was a charming short story about three siblings, Jack, Chelsea and Billy, each telling their own imaginative story during a camp-out at night. I thought the title of the book was great – it really fit perfectly with the content and atmosphere in the book. Three Twigs for the Campfire was a really fun book.

I loved how well the stories were woven together. All three were strong and could have stood o
Janelle Dazzlepants
Ruty  B
If you are looking for something interesting, fun and short to read this book is for you.

Which seemed a simple story about three siblings having a camp at night in their backyard ended up being a sum of three small stories. These stories are very different but somehow amazing in their oddness.

Billy, Chelsea and Jack take turns to tell a story. They aren’t the classic horror stories you would tell in a campfire. They are stories about friendship, dragons, a mosquito, among other things. The main
I received a free ebook ARC of Three Twigs for the Campfire by the author in exchange for a fair and honest review.

I loved this book! It actually kept my interest from the very first page (something most books don't do). I was only expecting to read a few pages and come back to it, but I couldn't. I was sucked in from page 1.

The characters are very believable. I could relate to each of them especially Billy as I'm afraid of the dark! The plot was an interesting one as I've never really read anyt
I'd like to thank the author for offering me this book to read. When contacted about this book, I was thrilled to be able to read this book and give it my honest review. The author is a very sweet person to contact me and ask if I would like to review the copy of the book since I had not won a hard copy. I love reading, and it is always a pleasure to be able to read new works
This was a very well written, clever, and entertaining story. It is a story of three short stories, each narrated by one
Kindle version provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.

Three Twigs for the Campfire is about 3 siblings spending the night around a campfire. Each one tells their own "scary" story. Each of their stories are unique and engaging. In the end, the youngest sibling, Billy, learns a valuable life lesson. From what I understand, the artwork was drawn by the author's daughter and she did a fabulous job! Great childrens book, but it is in need of a little bit of editing.
Wayne Elsner
Three stories are told by three children as they sit around a campfire. Each story is interesting on their own and overall the reader can see Billy grow from a small child afraid of the dark to being able to embrace it. Overall the stories are cute and an interesting read for younger children.

The homegrown feel to the illustrations makes the story seem to come directly from the three children telling their tales around the fire. They add a touch that young children should enjoy.
I enjoyed this book. Mr. Cognard does a wonderful job in writing the tales that the children tell around the campfire. Three enjoyable tales told by two brothers and their sister. My middle schooler and 4th grader both thought this was a good book. The art work is well done as Joseph Cognard enlisted the asssistance of a few family members that added to the enjoyment of this book.
The youngest Miller, Billy, finally gets to join his two siblings on the weekend backyard camping expedition. Prior to falling asleep, each tells a story of their own choosing.

A short, descriptive, quirky narrative helps guide the reader and the main story characters through both layers of stories.

Characters are caring and authentic.

Overall, a cute read.
ACE Notebook
Disclosure: The author provided a gift Kindle version of the novel in exchange for a review.

Before reading a book, I like to “inventory” my own experiences to the plot, setting, and characters of the title before me. And who among us does not have an overnight campout to share of bonfires, s’mores, sleeping bags, blankets, and scary stories? While I was prepared to be scared, I wasn’t; instead, I found myself transfixed by fantasy, a little black box, and an Entomological fable. Surprisingly, ea
Apr 18, 2015 Lisa rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all young kids who have an interesting imagination
It is a great story (with beautiful pictures!). It is a fun halloween read because it is three siblings telling ghost stories around a campfire. The older two trying to make good, not to scary stories for the youngest (his first campout).
Lisa Cox
Very cute story. Quick read. Suitable for pretty much any age (younger children will have to have it read to them.) Very cute illustrations. Very imaginative.
This was a fun read. The overall story, of young Billy out on his first campout with his older brother and sister, Jack and Chelsea, contains three shorter stories, one told by each kid. They're just out in the garden, but because it's Billy's first time and he's scared of the dark, he worries as the stories progress, his siblings start to doze off, and the campfire gets lower and lower....

Jack's story has a fairytale setting and feel to it, while Chelsea's is set in the real world and concerned
What joy! Such delightful and entertaining "campfire" tales for the young and mature.

I enjoyed the ambience created in my mind by each story told by siblings while camping in their backyard - - - three children in total of varying ages and mindsets.

The youngest, Billy, is a bit trepidated since this is his first experience at storytelling. He's a wonderful little guy with such a vivid imagination.

A combined family book with gorgeous illustrations created by Mr. Congnard's daughter - - - I love
Chris Meads
This is a wonderful book for both children and adults, especially those that read to children.

It starts out with three children sitting around the campfire. This is something they do every year and Chelsea and Jack have done it every year. This is the first year for Billy who is afraid of the dark to begin with. He wants to be with his siblings but the lure of his bed and nightlight is strong.

Each one tells a story. Chelsea makes sure that Jack doesn't tell any real scary ones in front of Billy.
Cleverly put together three stories by the camp fire, told by the siblings who hope to spend a night outside. For the youngest - Billy - it is a struggle as he is afraid of darkness. Beautifully written, and really interesting plot going on, nice illustrations :)

I think it is just a perfect book for kids age about 6-9 years old.
I received an ebook copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review

This book is short, fun, interesting and creative. If you only have a short amount of time, you will get through it because it's fast paced and a quick read for older readers. The story illustrations are so cute and perfectly fits into the theme of the story. The story is perfect for young readers. The story mainly talks about how each of the kids tells a story around the campfire while a boy named Billy has
Victoria Zigler
I thought this was a pretty good read, with great characters in Jack, Chelsea, and Billy, and entertaining stories told by them. The book is quite well written, and I enjoy how the author entertained us with the stories the three children were telling, while also allowing us to watch Billy's struggles with his fear of the dark.
Three siblings plan to sleep out in the backyard; Billy, the youngest is on his first overnight with is older brother and sister. Three Twigs for the Campfire is clever in that each sibling tells a story around the campfire, so the author has really given the reader three stories plus the framework story of the campout.

Billy is facing his fear of the dark and finds he can handle it but still does not like it when both his older brother and sister fall asleep during his story. This is a great boo
Kindle Copy for Review

This is a collection of three stories that children and grown up will enjoy its unique storyline and art work that is included.

Set in the backdrop of camp, we find Billy on his first kids only camp. He is uneasy as he listens to the Miller children tell their story as the songs of the fire crackling nearby. Billy questions his surroundings wondering if the fire will last before he falls asleep, whether he can tell a story when it is his turn or the mosquito that is hovering
Linda Romer
Three imaginative creative short stories

Three Twigs for the Campfire ( The Miller Family Album ) by Joseph Cognard

This book was an imaginative collection of three short stories:

1. Dragon "L" Eyes
2. Open if you Dare
3. Mrs. Owens Kitchen

I really enjoyed each story. The stories are being told by three siblings Jack, Chelsea and Billy while camping out in the backyard. These stories are perfect for children, fast paced and exciting. Grown ups can also enjoy each story.
Jenn S.
Cognard brings what would be a typical campfire setting to life with variations of stories told by children. Each is unique and entertaining. The book overall is a quick easy read. My son and I enjoyed this read together. He says it is a good book and one he would read again. I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review which in no way influenced our opinion.
I would like to thank Joseph Cognard for sending me an ARC copy of 'Three Twigs for the Campfire'. Brought back a few memories of when I was in my teenage years, sitting around the campfire!

I did enjoy the stories told by the three children, Jack, Chelsea and Billy. Loved the illustrations, which I always enjoy seeing in a book. It gives a personal touch! My favourite story out of the three was Jacks. Perhaps because my grandson is very much into anything to do with dragons.

SB Morales
This was such a cute story. The children reminded me of mine. My so use to tell his little sister scary stories at night for the thrill of watching her be scared. I just wish his stories were more like this one. Yes it is scary, but not inappropriately so. This is the perfect scary story for a young reader to start off with. I hope to see more from Cognard.
I got this book as a gift from the Author and I really enjoyed it. Three siblings sitting around a campfire telling stories was a delightful short story, well written with interesting characters. The artwork that was contributed by the Authors daughter gave the book a very special touch. Can't wait to see what Joseph Cognard will surprise us with next.
Great Middle Grad...: This topic has been closed to new comments. THREE TWIGS FOR THE CAMPFIRE - Discounted - COMPLETE 1 7 Jan 25, 2014 10:29AM
  • The Prince Commands
  • Havoc
  • Death Ain't But A Word
  • Unicorn Witch
  • The Caldarian Conflict
  • Simon's Cat in Kitten Chaos
  • A Texas Destiny: The Saga Begins
  • The Seer
  • Jacy Meets Betsy: (Jacy's Search for Jesus Book 2)
  • Archibald Zwick and the Eight Towers
  • Aria
  • The Pink Toot
  • Binaltro (Man's Best Friend, #1)
  • Nimpentoad
  • Church Camp Chaos (Diary of a Real Payne, #2)
  • Isolde 1939: A novella
  • Encounters with Enoch Coffin
  • The Last Dragon of the North
One of my main interests, and, what I am so passionate about, being an author, is the joy of writing dialogue. I will often write the entire conversation of a chapter, and then complete the rest. So far, although both my books have been primarily Young Adult in nature, I do strive to make them appeal to all genres and audiences. I am not certain if I will remain in YA style forever, but, the stori ...more
More about Joseph Cognard...
Cemetery Girl Written for You Reigning