Start by marking “Dead Heat” as Want to Read:
Dead Heat

Dead Heat

4.37 of 5 stars 4.37  ·  rating details  ·  35 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Alex is a machine whisperer. He can tell what’s wrong with a broken-down car with a touch. But his gift can’t save him from the brutality of his meth-addict father. For two years, Alex experienced kindness through Cole, his mentor. Now Cole’s dead, and the violence in Alex’s life is escalating.

When Cole reappears as a ghost, Alex clings to the tenuous link. Then he learns
ebook
Published October 2012 by Webfoot Publishing (first published September 29th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Dead Heat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Heat

Ali Cross
DEAD HEAT is probably in my top three favorite books of 2012. I'll admit, it caught me off guard. I don't know what I was expecting, but it wasn't what I got. And what I got was AMAZING.

This book is less supernatural than contemporary, less frivolous read than powerful story telling.

I think the author, Lisa Nowak, is a genius.

At first it took me a bit to get into the voice of the main character (and first person narrator) of DEAD HEAT, but it didn't take me long to discover its rhythm. Besides,
Lisa Ard
A man who longs for a son and a boy who can’t escape his father’s violence. Even death can’t break their bond.

Looking for a modern-day ghost story? One with an interesting mortal story? Dead Heat by Lisa Nowak fits the bill.

Alex is a troubled kid with a train-wreck family. But, he’s a good kid, talented with machines, and longing for someone in his life. With his mentor and friend Cole, Alex starts to put his life on track. He gets a job, stays in school, and gains confidence. When Cole is kille
Laura Pauling
Wow, grab your tissues for this one.

Alex, the main character, has stayed with me now for a couple weeks. I can't shake his story. I swear he's a real person out there. I just have to go down the street and turn a corner and I'll find him.

Alex is a completely believable character. Dealing with an abusive drug addict for a father isn't easy, until Alex finds a friend and mentor in Cole. Except Cole is a race car driver and dies in an accident. Alex's world is turned upside down but Cole still vis
Patrice
First let me mention that I won this as one of the Goodreads giveaways, second I’d like to thank Lisa Nowak for her literary contribution. This is an edgy, gritty young adult novel. I enjoyed reading it, so much so that at page 72 at 9:45 pm I was planning to read for approximately 20 – 30 minutes and then go to sleep…. Nope that wasn’t happening. So much was going on that I had to keep on reading…. I finished by midnight.
This story is written in the first person narrative by the main characte
Regan
Most poignant sentence in this whole fantastic book was one of the sentences towards the end. ”… And it hits me that there ain’t no easy answers. All we can do is let ourselves off the hook.”

It has been a long time since I’ve picked up a book and ripped through it in mere hours; no bathroom break, no drink, no coffee, no walking the dogs. Just me, my bed and my trio (snoring fiance’ and two snoring pugs). I was mesmerized and 100% trapped in the life of Alex. I have been there, more along the li
Donna
This is a love story but not a romance. This is the kind of love story that squeezes your heart till your face leaks and leaves you truly warm at the end. There is some language but no F bombs. You will learn a tiny bit what kind of control fear from constant abuse can do... Unless you, heaven forbid, know first hand. Don't read this if your are not ready for that kind of emotion. I am grateful that it leaves you with hope and silver linings.
Dionne
This was a really good read. I couldn't put it down until I'd finished it. The main character was so likeable and the fact his mentor wanted to protect him even from the grave was so great. I would enjoy this even if I read it over and over again. The author made this story truly come alive for me. And I hope anyone else who reads this will feel the same way.
Mark Petruska
Lisa Nowak has crafted a character-driven tale that will simultaneously break your heart and fill you with hope. The characters are believable and unique, and the situations never stretch the limits of credibility - even when they involve ghosts. An emotional, gripping read, with well-executed flashbacks filling in the background even as we are learning about the present circumstances. Nowak may be a YA author, but this is a book that will appeal to all ages.
Cindy
I really liked this book, but as a warning, it is not for the faint of heart. It contains a lot of swearing and deals with drug use and dealing. The whole time I read this book, I kept thinking kids in schools should have to read this in their health classes. It would keep their attention and they would, in no uncertain terms, get the picture about drinking, drug use, dealing, physical abuse, and their effects on people. Gripping. A great read.
Melanie Curry
Lisa has done it again. I started reading this book and couldn't put it down until I'd finished it. Lucky for me it was a shorter book!
Lisa knows her characters very well and she makes it easy for the reader to fall into their lives. Alex and Cole have a very strong bond that transcends death. Her writing style keeps things interesting and totally believable. I recommend this for tweeens and older.
Theresa
A very touching read. Even though it took a little getting used to, Alex's voice was great and I really liked it. I would have liked to see a little more of Cole's past in order to understand his actions, but the lack of it didn't take anything away from the story. Yes, it has paranormal elements, but I wouldn't call it a paranormal book, just a contemporary with a paranormal twist.
Ilene

I love/hate this book. It was a great book. I hate that this type of stuff goes on. As a mother I just couldn't stand by & let this go on. That being said I have never been in abusive relationship so maybe I can't fully comprehend the situation. As trying as being a parent can be, I would never lay a hand on them or let someone else.
Darby Karchut
Another great book from Lisa Nowak. At first, I wasn't sure if I liked the idea of Cole not "being there" for Alex, but Nowak's clever plot saved the day. Brilliant. I always love her books because of the strong mentor/protegee relationships. DEAD HEAT is a winner!

Bobbi
Jul 31, 2013 Bobbi rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: ya
Quick read, good stuff. Right up my alley.
Jessie
Jessie marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
Stephanie Banks
Stephanie Banks marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015
David Brown
David Brown marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2015
EKong
EKong marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
Joe Thomas
Joe Thomas marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2015
Nicolas122
Nicolas122 marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
Victoria Erin
Victoria Erin marked it as to-read
May 12, 2015
Mhel Irezee
Mhel Irezee marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
M Lake
M Lake is currently reading it
Apr 04, 2015
Elizabeth Sharp
Elizabeth Sharp marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Wendy
Wendy marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2015
  • Conspiracy of Silence
  • Kissed by Madness
  • Shadowstalkers
  • Desperate
  • Altered Selves
  • Papal Bull: An Ex-Catholic Calls Out the Catholic Church
  • Serranto's Redemption (Breaking Out)
  • I'm Still Standing: From Captive U.S. Soldier to Free Citizen--My Journey Home
  • 13 Days: The Pythagoras Conspiracy
  • One More Body
  • Jack Canon's American Destiny
  • Coaster
  • Stopped Cold
  • Paint Me a Monster
  • White Fire - Free Preview (first 9 chapters)
  • Dying in Indian Country: A Family Journey from Self-Destruction to Opposing Tribal Sovereignty
  • Memories and a Cedar Chest
  • Shadow's Embrace
In addition to being a YA author, Lisa Nowak is a retired amateur stock car racer, an accomplished cat whisperer, and a professional smartass. She writes coming-of-age books about kids in hard luck situations who learn to appreciate their own value after finding mentors who love them for who they are.

Lisa has no spare time, but if she did she’d use it to tend to her expansive perennial garden, wa
More about Lisa Nowak...
Running Wide Open (Full Throttle, #1) Getting Sideways (Full Throttle, #2) Redline Driven (Full Throttle, #3) The McCall Initiative Episode 1.1: Deception