Start by marking “Dead Heat” as Want to Read:
Dead Heat

Dead Heat

4.33  ·  Rating Details  ·  42 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Alex is a machine whisperer. He can tell what’s wrong with a broken-down car with a touch. But his gift can’t save him from the brutality of his meth-addict father. For two years, Alex experienced kindness through Cole, his mentor. Now Cole’s dead, and the violence in Alex’s life is escalating.

When Cole reappears as a ghost, Alex clings to the tenuous link. Then he learns
ebook
Published October 2012 by Webfoot Publishing (first published September 29th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Dead Heat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Heat

Ali Cross
Nov 13, 2012 Ali Cross rated it it was amazing
DEAD HEAT is probably in my top three favorite books of 2012. I'll admit, it caught me off guard. I don't know what I was expecting, but it wasn't what I got. And what I got was AMAZING.

This book is less supernatural than contemporary, less frivolous read than powerful story telling.

I think the author, Lisa Nowak, is a genius.

At first it took me a bit to get into the voice of the main character (and first person narrator) of DEAD HEAT, but it didn't take me long to discover its rhythm. Besides,
Lisa Ard
Dec 16, 2012 Lisa Ard rated it really liked it
A man who longs for a son and a boy who can’t escape his father’s violence. Even death can’t break their bond.

Looking for a modern-day ghost story? One with an interesting mortal story? Dead Heat by Lisa Nowak fits the bill.

Alex is a troubled kid with a train-wreck family. But, he’s a good kid, talented with machines, and longing for someone in his life. With his mentor and friend Cole, Alex starts to put his life on track. He gets a job, stays in school, and gains confidence. When Cole is kille
Laura Pauling
Oct 31, 2012 Laura Pauling rated it it was amazing
Wow, grab your tissues for this one.

Alex, the main character, has stayed with me now for a couple weeks. I can't shake his story. I swear he's a real person out there. I just have to go down the street and turn a corner and I'll find him.

Alex is a completely believable character. Dealing with an abusive drug addict for a father isn't easy, until Alex finds a friend and mentor in Cole. Except Cole is a race car driver and dies in an accident. Alex's world is turned upside down but Cole still vis
Patrice
First let me mention that I won this as one of the Goodreads giveaways, second I’d like to thank Lisa Nowak for her literary contribution. This is an edgy, gritty young adult novel. I enjoyed reading it, so much so that at page 72 at 9:45 pm I was planning to read for approximately 20 – 30 minutes and then go to sleep…. Nope that wasn’t happening. So much was going on that I had to keep on reading…. I finished by midnight.
This story is written in the first person narrative by the main characte
Regan
Nov 04, 2013 Regan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Most poignant sentence in this whole fantastic book was one of the sentences towards the end. ”… And it hits me that there ain’t no easy answers. All we can do is let ourselves off the hook.”

It has been a long time since I’ve picked up a book and ripped through it in mere hours; no bathroom break, no drink, no coffee, no walking the dogs. Just me, my bed and my trio (snoring fiance’ and two snoring pugs). I was mesmerized and 100% trapped in the life of Alex. I have been there, more along the li
Donna
Apr 10, 2014 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen, modern
This is a love story but not a romance. This is the kind of love story that squeezes your heart till your face leaks and leaves you truly warm at the end. There is some language but no F bombs. You will learn a tiny bit what kind of control fear from constant abuse can do... Unless you, heaven forbid, know first hand. Don't read this if your are not ready for that kind of emotion. I am grateful that it leaves you with hope and silver linings.
Dionne
This was a really good read. I couldn't put it down until I'd finished it. The main character was so likeable and the fact his mentor wanted to protect him even from the grave was so great. I would enjoy this even if I read it over and over again. The author made this story truly come alive for me. And I hope anyone else who reads this will feel the same way.
Cathy doll
Oct 20, 2015 Cathy doll rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book. Sort of like her other books.
Mark Petruska
Mar 06, 2013 Mark Petruska rated it really liked it
Lisa Nowak has crafted a character-driven tale that will simultaneously break your heart and fill you with hope. The characters are believable and unique, and the situations never stretch the limits of credibility - even when they involve ghosts. An emotional, gripping read, with well-executed flashbacks filling in the background even as we are learning about the present circumstances. Nowak may be a YA author, but this is a book that will appeal to all ages.
Cindy
Jan 01, 2013 Cindy rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book, but as a warning, it is not for the faint of heart. It contains a lot of swearing and deals with drug use and dealing. The whole time I read this book, I kept thinking kids in schools should have to read this in their health classes. It would keep their attention and they would, in no uncertain terms, get the picture about drinking, drug use, dealing, physical abuse, and their effects on people. Gripping. A great read.
Melanie Curry
Oct 06, 2012 Melanie Curry rated it it was amazing
Lisa has done it again. I started reading this book and couldn't put it down until I'd finished it. Lucky for me it was a shorter book!
Lisa knows her characters very well and she makes it easy for the reader to fall into their lives. Alex and Cole have a very strong bond that transcends death. Her writing style keeps things interesting and totally believable. I recommend this for tweeens and older.
Theresa
Jan 20, 2013 Theresa rated it really liked it
Shelves: lendable
A very touching read. Even though it took a little getting used to, Alex's voice was great and I really liked it. I would have liked to see a little more of Cole's past in order to understand his actions, but the lack of it didn't take anything away from the story. Yes, it has paranormal elements, but I wouldn't call it a paranormal book, just a contemporary with a paranormal twist.
Ilene
Oct 31, 2012 Ilene rated it it was amazing

I love/hate this book. It was a great book. I hate that this type of stuff goes on. As a mother I just couldn't stand by & let this go on. That being said I have never been in abusive relationship so maybe I can't fully comprehend the situation. As trying as being a parent can be, I would never lay a hand on them or let someone else.
Darby Karchut
Oct 04, 2012 Darby Karchut rated it it was amazing
Another great book from Lisa Nowak. At first, I wasn't sure if I liked the idea of Cole not "being there" for Alex, but Nowak's clever plot saved the day. Brilliant. I always love her books because of the strong mentor/protegee relationships. DEAD HEAT is a winner!

Bobbi
Jul 31, 2013 Bobbi rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
Quick read, good stuff. Right up my alley.
Felicia
Felicia marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2016
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
Elisabeth
Elisabeth rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2016
Alexandrea
Alexandrea marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2016
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
Connor
Connor marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
Maureen
Maureen rated it did not like it
Mar 09, 2016
Catalina
Catalina marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
Alix G
Alix G marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
CassieRose
CassieRose marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
Mahila
Mahila rated it it was amazing
Nov 21, 2015
Gwilym Meyrick
Gwilym Meyrick marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2015
Rosf
Rosf rated it it was amazing
Oct 30, 2015
Jessie
Jessie marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
Stephanie Banks
Stephanie Banks marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2015
  • Conspiracy of Silence
  • Shadowstalkers
  • Desperate
  • Kissed by Madness
  • Papal Bull: An Ex-Catholic Calls Out the Catholic Church
  • Altered Selves
  • Serranto's Redemption (Breaking Out)
  • I'm Still Standing: From Captive U.S. Soldier to Free Citizen--My Journey Home
  • Paint Me a Monster
  • Coaster
  • Memories and a Cedar Chest
  • Shadow's Embrace
  • The Owner: Albert Pabek Thriller
  • Dying in Indian Country: A Family Journey from Self-Destruction to Opposing Tribal Sovereignty
In addition to being a YA author, Lisa Nowak is a retired amateur stock car racer, an accomplished cat whisperer, and a professional smartass. She writes coming-of-age books about kids in hard luck situations who learn to appreciate their own value after finding mentors who love them for who they are.

Lisa has no spare time, but if she did she’d use it to tend to her expansive perennial garden, wa
More about Lisa Nowak...