Start by marking “The Coil” as Want to Read:
The Coil

The Coil

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  894 Ratings  ·  167 Reviews
Sandwich-maker Mattie Green has one goal: escape San Diego, move to New York, and attend art school. But to make this a reality, he needs to get his GED—not easy, since he can’t read or write. Until he can, he’s stuck working at the diner and selling himself on the side.

Mattie’s legitimate job isn’t without perks. Every day the quiet, sophisticated Simon Castle comes by t
Published October 10th 2012 by Dreamspinner Press (first published October 9th 2012)

Emma Sea
Dec 04, 2013 Emma Sea rated it liked it
Shelves: artist, rent-boy, author
2.5 stars. I mildly liked this book.

It's only the second book by this author I've read. I thought that this would be like The Ghost on My Couch, so I was ready for cute and sweet, but this was completely different.

If I want dark and angsty then I want dark and angsty. I found this had too much angst to be adorable, but not enough to be a hair-rending tearjerker. It was wishy-washy (even Mattie's prostitution was wishy-washy) and I get the feeling that Gilbert was trying to write in a way that d
Mandy*reads obsessively*
Ok, where to start..
I really enjoyed the author's other books so when i saw she was coming out with this one and a rent boy story on top of that, I knew I had, had, had to have it!
I think loving her other books so much I had a preconceived notion going into this and they were promptly blown away.

I loved Mattie, he is absolutely wonderful, vulnerable, strong , pragmatic, idealistic and just plain sweet!
I am also very happy he has Ty as a BF, he needed someone who was really in his corner and te
Deeze
I’ve read this authors previous two books, The Ghost on my Couch and Witness, and enjoyed them both very much. But this book takes it to a whole new level.

To say I enjoyed this book is a complete understatement.

This book had everything I love in my romance stories, a geeky guy, a really hot guy that’s insecure and a kid. But this had so much more. This had a real story, a real love story.

The feelings of both Mattie and Simon are laid bare. I admit I spent a fair portion of this book wiping my e
Ami
R.B.
Oct 25, 2012 R.B. rated it it was amazing
Recommended to R.B. by: Deeze
Damn that was great.

Mattie and Simon both have to make hard choices in their life.

Mattie is an illiterate young man and artist working low paid job, hooking occasionally to have extra cash so he can pay for his reading and writing classes and painter’s supplies, dreaming about acquiring GED and studying at an art school in New York. He is so sweet and compassionate, determined to make his life only better.

Simon is single parent living his life for his wonderful little son Jamie, who’s autistic.
Susan65
Oct 14, 2012 Susan65 rated it really liked it
The ending was AMAZING. So many parts of this story drove me crazy but the epilogue made all the badness, sadness and craziness just go away.

I need to think before i finish my review but i wanted to put it out there that the ending was spot on.

Update:

Strong story about a single dad raising an autistic child who's reluctant to bring a man into his son's life. Simon is a successful writer who adopts his sisters newborn after she dies in childbirth. His partner, who doesn't want to be a parent, le
Natalie
Oct 11, 2012 Natalie rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. I love this author, and Witness is probably among my top five favorite m/m romances ever. This book feels like L.A. Gilbert really took to heart all the reviewers who said Witness was too nice and decided to pile on the angst. Part of me liked it, and the other part feels conflicted.

What I loved: Mattie. What a sweetheart. I really ached for him as he struggled with making ends meet and earning his GED.

What I was lukewarm on: Simon. Simon was a harder nut to crack. It was harder to un
Sheziss
Somebody find me somebody to explain this book to me!

'Cause I think I'm broken. Not broken because of the FEELZ, but broken because I didn't feel a thing!

I want a different book. I want a book that makes me feel the angst the characters live in. I want a book that makes me worry. A book that manages to pass on the feeling of loneliness, sadness, desperation and defeatism, and also a book of brightness, happiness, overcoming and hope. The MCs live that but I didn't. I felt curiosity and a little
Lenore
Rating clarification: The second star is for the fairly accurate portrayal of the high-functioning autistic child.
Kaje Harper
Jul 18, 2013 Kaje Harper rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
This book has a very true to life portrayal of what it's like to parent an autistic child, and the challenges, joys and life changes that go with that. Simon is impressive as a single father to his dead sister's child Jamie. He adores Jamie, and works to make his life as good as possible.

When something goes wrong, Simon blames himself for failing to smooth Jamie's path enough, and that felt very true to life - we all want to make the world give our kids a break, especially when they face extra
Akanksha❤ Søren♰
Nov 02, 2015 Akanksha❤ Søren♰ rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants to read a heart warming book. :)
Shelves: favorite, m-m, baby-kid
Awww fuck, where to begin :') :')
I abso-fucking-lutely LOVED the book :D

The story was amazing, the characters were amazing.. This book is amazing, and its not only for people who like m-m but for anyone who just wants to read an absolutely heart warming book. The sex was not graphic or even detailed. It was just mentioned. Thats it, so I guess people who dont read m-m too can read this book. So seriously, do read. Its beautiful, pure and amazing.

Simon, I seriously wanted to bitch slap you at lea
Anke
Nov 16, 2012 Anke rated it it was amazing

Wonderful book! From beginning to end I was drawn in. Jamie was just too cute in all his specialness - is that a word? Well, the whole book was a joy to read, although the Kleenex were nearby and in use, sniff. And Mattie - I so felt with him. And with how he at some point stood up for himself! Yes! And Ty was the best friend. Simon on the other hand really needed a good hard shake several times during the story. The end was just wonderful and fitting.
♥Laddie♥ (Lee Lee)
There was a time when I could write coherently about why I loved a book but apparently this is not one of those times so...

*SQUEEEEEE*
Awwwwwww.
No way!!
Oh. My. GOD.
LOVE!
*dies of cuteness*
*brought back to life by the amazing*
*sigh of contentment*

The End.

Note: For all those people who don't like kids in their book, there's a kid in this one. A wonderfully, adorable, smart and lovely little boy.
Macky
Jan 23, 2013 Macky rated it liked it
This novel fell into a category that I've come cross a few times, it held a lot of promise but sadly on finishing it I was left feeling a bit underwhelmed. Like a lot of books it starts off great, a good hook at the beginning in its prologue and introductions to some good characters. There are some serious subjects to explore like autism and a single gay parent having to cope with it and of course as mentioned in the books description - prostitution and what makes a person turn to that! ...more
Shelby
Beautiful and touching! I cried buckets in the best way possible. My cousin has Aspergers and I remember growing up with him and how difficult that could be at times. He’s nowhere near as bad as Jamie is, but he definitely struggled growing up. It turned so many every day things into a struggle. This book touched my heart because of Jamie. While I loved Mattie and Simon’s relationship, Jamie made me love this book.

Simon Castle never expected to be a father. But when his sister passed away during
Ije the Devourer of Books
I really like LA Gilbert's other stories and will continue to read anything she writes. It is a good story, but alas not a big favorite for me this time round. I started out really liking this story until it got to the end and then I just felt irritated.

SPOILER FROM HERE.

The angst at the end with Mattie going off to college was too unrealistic for me. In these days of globalisation, social media and global communication why would they split up for 3 years and make themselves miserable when all
Donna ~ The Romance Cover
Sep 16, 2013 Donna ~ The Romance Cover rated it it was amazing
The Coil by LA Gilbert

5 stars!!

“Whether it came down to nature or God, people are what they are, and it’s never wrong. Nature is not wrong. Nature is one certainty, the one truth that is visible to people, and he hung onto that.”

My oh my, I absolutely adored this book, I have been reading a lot of the M/M genre recently, as it was so kindly pointed out my repertoire was severely lacking if I had not at least had a dabble and I must say, I am getting hooked!!

This is the story of Mattie and Simon
LiveYourLife BuyTheBook
Sep 16, 2013 LiveYourLife BuyTheBook rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars
A "Live Your Life, Buy The Book" Review

Ok... full disclosure... I only bought this book because of the cover. I thought it was going to be BDSM - I was wrong. Of course I could have read the blurb to get clued into that little fact, as well as the fact that the book had a kid in it (something I tend to steer clear of) BUT had I done so I probably wouldn't have got the book, and therefore would have missed out on a stunning and beautiful reading experience.

Mattie has had a pretty crap li
Julia
Jun 29, 2014 Julia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, challenge-read
I always struggle reading books that feature characters with disabilities, especially kids because of my own child with DS. But this one was written in such a way that it was an encouragement rather than a stabbing pain to my chest. I appreciated the honesty about some of the emotional struggles and feelings that creep in regardless of the depth of your love. I could absolutely relate to the "highs" you feel when your child crosses over some imaginary border and does something unexpected. I love ...more
Katyna
Mar 01, 2013 Katyna rated it it was ok
I might actually have enjoyed this book more if I could have suspended my disbelief on 3 notes:

1. A prostitute that only gives blowjobs - highly improbable (and he's all angsty and whiney and ashamed about it)

2. A writer that is able to support himself, send his kid to a private school and live in a very nice house after writing only 2 books

3. Having to pay for adult education literacy classes.

I was really, really trying hard to enjoy this book, but I kept saying, "Oh come on! This is ridiculou
Arthur
Another book designed to squeeze as much angst as possible. Will be popular with many GR members, but not for me.
Shelby P
Feb 09, 2014 Shelby P rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, disability, kids
I couldn't find anything wrong with this story except for a few "then" vs "than" improper usage. Mattie's situation was truly believable. I understood why he was in a low paying job. I read another story where the guy was struggling and a reviewer didn't understand why the guy didn't just work another job to better his life. Mattie didn't have many options being illiterate and no high school diploma.

Although Mattie hooked, I like that he had standards and he was always safe. I like how Mattie an
A
Oct 26, 2012 A rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I'll admit that the reason I was attracted to the book was because there was a rent boy involved. I'm a bit of a lover of taboo subjects -- a BDSM polyamorous relationship between a rent boy and a couple of brothers would be a dream read for me. But the reason that I ended up loving this book -- and by loving this book, I mean LOVING this book -- is for the complete opposite reason. Sure, there was a bit of a rent boy aspect (though much more minor than you would think), but I loved this book ...more
Karen
Mar 13, 2016 Karen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-mm
So I kept reading. Things got better and I fell even harder for Mattie, Simon & Jamie. Sweet precious little Jamie. And then, well it all went for shit...damn you Simon, I already knew you were a truly decent guy, just one facing challenging circumstances then when I wasn't looking you turned noble, you did the right thing, not the easy thing, just the right thing and I was hooked I had to keep reading, I had to know. So I kept reading quietly in the night and I found out and I cried to the ...more
JM ♔ Pipsqueak