Start by marking “Rain” as Want to Read:
Rain

Rain

Librarian Note: Alternate Cover Edition for 9789810882808.

Set in provincial Australia in the early sixties, Rain is a multigenerational family saga that chronicles the lives of three generations of the Wallin sawmilling dynasty. It explores the often difficult but enduring ties between mothers and daughters, men and women: the sacrifices, compromises, and patterns of emoti
Paperback
Published 2011 by Vivante Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Rain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rain

Mimi Barbour
Aug 03, 2011 Mimi Barbour rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First, I looked up "Rain" on Leigh Cunningham's website and saw the wonderful awards--winner of the Literary Fiction category at the 2011 Indie Excellence Awards, and a silver medal at the 2011 Independent Publisher Awards (IPPY) in the Regional Fiction: Australia/New Zealand category. So, I thought it would be a really good choice to buy and read. Turns out I was absolutely, one hundred percent right.
This family saga began to draw me in from the first page, and by the end of the first chapter,
Melanie
Jul 06, 2012 Melanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rain is at the top of my list of favourite books of the year. It's the kind of the book that leaves a lasting impression and I've often found myself thinking of the characters while sitting on the train on my way to work.

This book brought out so many emotions in me and for me, that's a sign of a good book. I love books that can make me feel for the characters and be in the moment with them rather than just reading and observing.

I also really enjoyed the Australian setting.

This book is a "must
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
That Rain is set in rural Australia was the main reason I accepted this novel for review from expat author Leigh Cunningham. Sisters Helen and Grace are heiresses to their fathers successful small town sawmill business. While Helen enjoys working with her father, Grace, lively and beautiful, wants more than their country town can offer her and escapes to Sydney to pursue her own success, leaving behind her ambitious boyfriend. Spurned, Michael Baden decides to turn his attention to the plainer ...more
Ron Fritsch
Apr 13, 2013 Ron Fritsch rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rain, Leigh K. Cunningham's first novel for adult readers, is a page-turning story of three generations in a small-town Australian family during forty turbulent years from 1965 to 2005.

The tale mostly, but not exclusively, revolves around a second-generation mother, Helena, and her third-generation daughter, Carla. Even as they deny they need to, they give their lives to the men and boys who are their fathers, sons, brothers, and lovers—and receive in return enormous grief.

And yet this is no min
Laurel-Rain
Filled with themes of struggle, loss, and triumph, "Rain" portrays a family through the decades. From the 1960s to the mid-2000s, this journey of one family living in rural Australia is a testament to survival in the face of extremes.

A fire in the mill owned by the Wallin family is only the beginning of what seems like a trail of grief. The theme of rain peppers the pages, too; not just the seasonal rains that bring devastation but the symbolic rain of grief and loss.

But the rains can also remin
David Darling
Jul 05, 2012 David Darling rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read Rain, Leigh K. Cunningham's first work of fiction for adult readers, knowing it wasn’t a romance novel, even if it dealt with the romantic affairs of several women in an Australian family in the late twentieth and early twenty-first centuries.

Rain is a clear-eyed account of those affairs, boldly telling us why the women do what they do and why the men they fall in love with mostly fail them.

And yet, even as Helena, her daughter Carla, and the other women in Rain err romantically, Cunningh
Corina
Jun 13, 2012 Corina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm divided on this one. The story is a downer. More of a downer than any I have ever read. I kept expecting something positive to happen but it didn't. Just when you think it's getting better for the character, they are hit with something even more terrible. I guess life is like that sometimes but why would I want to read about that?

It's often difficult to read because it's written in a very old fashioned English...and Australian English at that. It gets better as we get into the 70's and out o
Paulette Ponte
Mar 21, 2012 Paulette Ponte rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book, but I have to say that there was very little happiness to be found in this family saga. It seems that every character was doomed to a life of disappointment and hardship. I have to admit that this is the kind of story I like at times but if you don't like having awful things happening all the time pick another book.
Quiltgranny
Jun 13, 2012 Quiltgranny rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned

Maybe I haven't given this enough pages yet, but I am abandoning it for now. The writing style is pretentious, archaic and disjointed. The narrative started out nowhere and kept going in circle, nowhere. It was a big disappointment for my expectations because of all the Indie awards it received. I'll try it again this winter, perhaps.
Lori Tatar
Jan 09, 2012 Lori Tatar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Rain" is a great book, spanning several generations of what seems to be very bad luck for an Australian family. It is emotional and visceral, a tale of love and loss. The story is told third-person at times, at others through letters and even through journal entries. With a lot of narrative, it carries the reader along at a quick pace to an unexpected ending, more sweet than bitter.
susan murray
Jan 06, 2012 susan murray rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

"BRILLIANT STORY PLENTY OF HIGHS AND LOWS KEEPS YOU INTERESTED FROM START TO FINISH.THE STORY GOES THROUGH MANY GENERATIONS AND HOW LIFE TREATS THEM AND HOW THEY COPE. A STORY OF CHOICES AND OUTCOMES IN ONE FAMILY's HISTORY
Sara
May 11, 2012 Sara rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Dreadful, depressing, entirely unlikeable characters who behave horribly to one another, and just when it seems like the misery will let up, more misery follows. Couldn't force myself to finish it, and I rarely ever leave a book partially read. Just dreadful.
Jenny
Oct 03, 2011 Jenny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved loved! Downloaded to my kindle in Bali after hating the Hunger Games and Wicked. Got through this in less than a week. Sad characters but I could NOT put it down! Totally riveting!
Mary
Dec 31, 2011 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read RAIN in practically one sitting. It's not happy reading, but certainly compelling. If you like stories that tear at your heart, then you will love RAIN.
Melissa
Sep 20, 2012 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Story of an Australian family through a three generations. Fascinating tale of family curses (real and imagined) and the struggle for survival of the soul. Well written, touching and very enjoyable.
Alma
Jan 14, 2012 Alma rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: won-on-goodreads
Alot going on in this book, but I did enjoy it.
Kathy
Jun 10, 2012 Kathy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very dark, but hard to put down.
Heidi Graham
Nov 10, 2011 Heidi Graham rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Started a little slow but great read overall.
Busy Mom
May 28, 2012 Busy Mom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting story but kind of sad ending.
Gosia
Jan 18, 2012 Gosia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I must admit I did not like the book. The most I can say the lecture was average, as was the writing style. I appreciate the passion of the author for revealing all the wrongs of the world we happen to live in. But it seems to be highly unlikely that the bad fortune does not spare any member of the family. Nearly every page brings new calamity, more and more dramatic and more and more unreal in its extent but lacking the true meaning and depth. I just got very bored reading Rain. I think when ...more
Clayton
Sep 17, 2014 Clayton rated it it was amazing
This is a provisional five star as the book is not perfect and I reserve the right to change my mind. I thought it struggled just a little bit at the beginning. But after that it knocked my socks off. Good story, good characters, good writing, a deep sense of meaning.... Sympathy for the main characters was a bit of a problem at the beginning, but this quickly resolved itself.

This is a story about a profoundly dysfunctional family, serial tragedy, and the ability to get through all that (mostly)
Rachael
Aug 13, 2012 Rachael rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I guess I couldn't expect much from a Kindle/Amazon free e-book. While the characters were intriguing and I wanted to believe in the story happening around them, it was just unrealistically depressing and continuously hopeless. I am not a hater of sadness by ANY means, this would be the kind of book that I'd feel empowered by... If it hadn't ended with 100 loose ends. Also, the writer really did not allow much connection to the characters, it felt like all of the characters were still strangers ...more
Sharron Shimbel
Hoping it's better than some of it's reviews!
Well now that I've finished it I am at a crossroads with my rating. Don't read this if you are feeling depressed! The family portrayed in this novel seems to be the model for the term "dysfunctional".
I like Cunningham's style and thought the structure of the story was excellent and perhaps this is why I'm giving it 3 stars. My only complaint in that respect was that as an Australian who has lived in the US for over 20 years, naming the small town whe
Mitch
Apr 08, 2012 Mitch rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just could not finish this book. I so wanted something good to happen to even one person. But instead it was unremittingly dark.
I totally admire the author's breadth of imagination and extremely readable writing style, but I started to feel depressed by the unending tragedy that visited every single character.
Having read the glowing reviews of other readers - and taking into account the multitude of awards - I'm sure the fault must lie with my incapacity to be constantly depressed
Cheryl Turoczy hart
Had this book on my iPad for my Australia/NZ trip last year but didn't get around to it. (I always try to have a novel or two set in the locales I visit when I am traveling). Started reading it on my way to Galapagos. I was not initially very impressed with it but the farther I read, the more I am enjoying it. The tale of a family, with all of the ups and downs of life, takes place mostly in the small town of Maine, near Sydney. Complex and very flawed characters abound and seem very real.
Nekea
Jan 02, 2012 Nekea rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I don't think my review is fair because I didn't finish the book...I just couldn't get through it. The story seemed ok although I didn't care for how it jumped around so much. My main issue is her writing. I think that because she is from Australia, I had a hard time following her words and staying interested :(
Jo McAlpine
This book drew me in early, the complexity of the characters and storylines made for a great read. It was a little too tragic in places and at least one of the storylines remained unfinished. There were quite a few spelling mistakes as well (common place names)so editing required. Overall though, It only took me a few days to read and was well worth it.
Cheri
May 12, 2012 Cheri marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Let's hope that this book is better than the last one. Not that Riversong was bad, but not well-written. And I'm rarely one who criticizes a writing style or quality. Rain, however, has won some awards. Keeping my fingers crossed!
Tamara
Jan 21, 2013 Tamara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just enough interest to keep me reading.....I finished because I was hoping the continual depressive tone of the story would improve, giving you a triumph over adversity ending. I'm not quite sure that's what it was.
Debra
Feb 01, 2014 Debra rated it liked it
It started off slow and wasn't that interesting. The further I got in the book, the more interesting it became. The ending was very abrupt and left a lot of unanswered questions. I am hoping the author plans a sequel in the future.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
From the Author 1 9 Nov 16, 2011 05:07PM
  • The Secret of Lies
  • The Big Five-OH!
  • Remember the Eyes (Remember the Eyes, #1)
  • A Million Tears
  • Shadows of St. Louis
  • Fast Break (Brooklyn Monarchs, #1)
  • Paper Daisies
  • Nipped in the Bud
  • Ashford
  • Memoirs of a Bitch
  • In the Midnight Rain
Leigh K Cunningham is a lawyer with a career as a senior executive for a number of public companies in her home country of Australia. She has three master’s degrees in law (Master of International Trade & Investment Law) and commerce (Master of Commerce) and an MBA (International Management) where she graduated as ‘Top Student’.

Now a full-time writer, Leigh has won seven awards for her four t
More about Leigh K. Cunningham...