Start by marking “Ill-Fated” as Want to Read:

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  57 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Leila Edgewick stands on the brink of disaster; balancing the fate of Bainland and her father’s legacy against a vague, ill-fated prophecy. A meaningless number, a luckless red moon, and worst of all– a star that falls south– send Leila on a quest she does not expect to survive.
Simultaneously, an unknown boy wakes up in the sunken hull of a decrepit cargo ship. Captured a
Published August 2012 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about Ill-Fated, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ill-Fated

Leonie
Ill fated is a book I'm slightly torn about rating. For me it really sits somewhere between two and three stars. It's a bit more than "OK," but not quite "I liked it." It has all the ingredients to be a really good book, but didn't quite get there.

The Good:

The beginning is interesting. (The prologue.) It left me wondering what was going to happen in the story and what might come of the characters as their story progressed.

Some of the characters. I was immediately drawn in by Leila the main prota
Evelyn Ink
Dec 17, 2013 Evelyn Ink added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Dear Readers,
Much like the heroine of my novel, the stars may have aligned to make your life grim and loathsome if you are thinking of reading Ill-fated. I, Evelyn Ink, the sad conveyor of this dark and terrifying story feel obligated to write down the events as they were told to me. However, you as a young and attractive reader, have no such obligation to read these events. I’ve heard there are several fantastic vampire romances out at the moment depicting thoughtless and weak girls trapped in
Simon Goodson
Great characters and a distinctive world. A really good book. The main characters are interesting and well written. I particularly like the very strong female lead . One of the characters starts the book not only with no memory but with no ability to retain new memories for more than a few hours. That leads to interesting and unusual situations, problems and solutions.

Magic within the world deserves a special mention. It's well thought out and practical, especially in the cases where what seems
Martha Sockel
Take the gothic children’s tales of The Brother Grimm, add in a touch CS Lewis, a sprinkle of Neil Gaiman, and baste with Jim Henson’s workshop. Simmer for 300 pages, and you have Evelyn Ink’s “Ill Fated”.

And it’s pretty good.

Leila is the heir to kingdom of Bainland, but first must complete a Herculean-esque Trial in order to prove not only her worth, but also her family’s claim to the throne.

However, when her quest drags her into the danger filled Northern Lands, Leila in unprepared for the haz
Colleen Bratley
This fantasy takes you on a journey that was everything but slow, boring, or stale. The creative mind of the author kept you engaged and watching a great movie play out as fast as you could read it.

From the beginning of the book I wondered what was going to happen and that never changed. The character was anything but perfect which made you enjoy her even more. You saw her as a real person, not a perfect part of a real person. In fact at the end it was like saying goodbye to a new friend. I real
Cheryl
by Evelyn Ink
Note: I am reviewing my own Kindle copy that I bought.

Ill-Fated is a Fantasy novel in a classic sense. Magic, monsters, a quest and wild adventure run through this book to great effect.
Young Leila is the heir to the throne of Bainland and as such it is tradition the she undertake a quest to prove her worth for the throne. When it is decried that she journey toward the forbidden south in “search of something that must be returned” she despairs, but pulls on her big girl pan
J.C. Andrijeski
I really liked this book a lot - fantastic characters, a very creative world and I enjoyed the chemistry between Leila and Sam, through all of its different iterations. I thought the whole way the author handled Sam's memory loss and how their relationship navigated that was extremely well done, and I liked watching Leila evolve as a character, too. I thought the whole world she created with the Shadowlands and the distinctions between the kingdoms of North and South were very well done, too. It ...more
Celia Kennedy
I love YA fiction, especially those which introduce me to new worlds, creatures, and vocabulary. Everything about this book is inventive and compelling.

Ms. Ink did a great job creating a wide variety of characters for readers to connect with and cheer for. We meet Leila, the independent fourteen year old daughter of a king who is sent on a quest to prove herself. A sense of the mysticism occurs when her quest is determined by which direction a falling star streaks across the night sky.

Trained to
Jada Ryker
From Leila's Quester Journal: "The Stars Have Aligned to Make My Life Grim and Loathsome."

Leila Edgewick lives in Ashbain Castle and is in line to rule The Bainland. In order to win the throne, she must successfully fulfill a quest. A falling star shows the direction of her quest. The star indicates the dreaded South, the direction taken by an ancestor who never returned. Even with all the time training for combat, Leila shudders at the thought of the Southland. With a travesty of a runes castin
Lita Burke
Ill-fated by Evelyn Ink is a coming-of-age fantasy about a young woman, Leila Edgewick, on her obligatory quest at fourteen before she assumes the throne in the kingdom of The Bainland.

An ominous falling star signals the start of Leila’s journey into the dreaded southlands. Along the way, she learns how to sail, tangles with slavers, and meets a memory-muddled young man named Sam who is much more than he seems.

Ill-fated is a medieval magical world filled with memorable characters and their dist
Demelza Carlton
I really loved this story - yes, it's YA fantasy, but Ms Ink sets the scene so well you can't help but feel like you're right there alongside Leila, for the whole adventure. Hell, there's a whole new vocabulary in this story, bringing the fantasy world home to the reader like nothing else. The story and world alone are worth five stars - and I hope there's another book after this one.

What jarred me out of the story were the frequent errors - not just typos, but many instances where the wrong wo
Joanne McDonnell
I found this book both fun and frustrating. The plot was fast paced and exciting, but I kept getting thrown out of the story by the author’s made up words for ordinary things, Popina, Squich-squash, dorter, idlerile, wollies–(and the list goes on), not to mention her many editing errors. Words were misspelled or were actually the wrong words, for example–shuttered instead of shuddered or ease droppings instead of eavesdropping.

The characters were well built, though Leila dropped out of characte
Lisa Hall
As the heir to the throne of Bainland Leila must complete a task, a quest to fulfill her destiny on her fourteenth birthday. Rare are the failures. Fail the quest, forfeit the throne. As her father's only child it is on her shoulders to maintain the family claim.

But her star falls south, into the Ramblings past the wall. It is a wild place full of dangerous beasts and magic prohibited in the Northern lands of her home. The Southlands are a place Leila isn't prepared for at all. Only one other qu
Scarlett
Originally posted on my blog Books Before Bed here.

I was approached by Ms. Ink to do a review for her recently published book and was immediately captured by the synopsis. It sounded like just my type of adventure book and I was eager to try it. (side note: don't you just love this cover! The first one I was not a fan of, but regardless liked the synopsis as stated before, but this cover I think grabs the idea of the book and portrays it beautifully!)

In terms of strengths, in descending order, I
Darlene
This was a fun fantasy. It took me away from our world to a world just getting started in technology and science, with magick blending right in. The main characters were a fun, adventurous girl, Leila, and her brain-challenged friend, Sam. They are on an ill-fated quest. Who would want to do that? But these two manage to get into more trouble and have more fun in the process than seems possible. They meet some unsavory types that want to do them harm and other that just want to help but figuring ...more
Justine Winans
I thought that Ill-Fated was an absolutely brilliant novel, and I would highly recommend it to just about anyone. Although it may be a little slow at the beginning, I found that the story picks up very quickly, and I became immensely immersed in the reading.

Both Leila and Sam are wonderful characters. Leila is strong, smart and funny, and makes for an excellent heroine. Sam, even with his memory lapses, proves to be a charming and clever character that you cannot help but love. Put the two of th
Peter
Ill-Fated, despite its brief title, is a creatively-written first novel by Katherine M. Frey (aka Evelyn Ink) that succeeds on many levels—character interest, plot and vocabulary.

I particularly like Ink’s invented words, such as moonspell, deckstormer, wandrian, questling, et al, which are neatly defined in the “espistemological expicarium” (aka index).

I won’t summarize the story, but will say it is well-crafted and is driven by characters who are distinct and interesting.

The impact of this nove
Cherese A. Vines
Nov 07, 2012 Cherese A. Vines rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 12 and up
Recommended to Cherese by: Evelyn Ink
By Evelyn Ink
Quests, adventure, scandals, danger, magic, romance, strong heroes, expertly interwoven storylines, mystery, and monsters. This book has it all.

Ill-fated follows Leila as she begins a perilous quest to prove her worth and right to rule as the heir to the Bainland throne. At only fourteen, this would seem like a daunting task, but every ruler before her has done the same at fourteen. Leila has been training for this for most of her life. It should be routine, if a bit dangerous, exc
Tani Mura
As much as I love fantasy novels, they can get tedious and tiring as you try to follow along as the author builds a whole new world. This was not the case with Evelyn Ink's Ill-Fated. Not to say that Evelyn did not create a comprehensive, detailed world (because she did!), but she didn't inundate me with too much; the background information about the world itself was seamlessly introduced with the story line, and I felt the story was always moving forward. I especially loved how there was no nee ...more
William Miller
Ill-fated was a highly enjoyable read, for me. I loved the banter between the two main characters. There were many humorous scenes that were very well done. The main female protagonist is plucky and adorable. The sense of adventure is palpable and sustained. It is a novel that might best appeal to the YA adience, but at 42, I myself found it endearingly told. The author is obviously quite talented. The only thing keeping me from giving this book 5 stars is that the novel is replete with grammati ...more
Chameleon
The author did an amazing job. The colorful characters, decriptive landscapes, and the lore of this imaginary world of hers was expertly woven together, brining it all to life in my mind, and I did appreciate the fact that she didn't bog my mind down with unnecessary details that didn't move the story along. Leila and Sam had quite the adventure, and the characters they met along the way were quite appropriate, given the circumstances of each situation. The author expertly gave you just enough i ...more
Terry
Fantasy is one genre that encourages each author to create the own language, and "Ill-Fated" delivers exactly that within the first pages. Part of the charm at finding a new, well-written world to discover is terms like "moonspell" and "evendine", all building blocks for Evelyn's well developed and vivid descriptive. Magic? Check. Ancient quest? Check. Likeable heroine? Very much so, in the form of Leila. There's a lot to like here, and I even saw echoes of the society from the Dragonriders of P ...more
Diane Lynch
Fourteen year old Leila Edgewick has been training for her entire life for one thing, her quest to prove her worth to the Bainland throne. Her mission leads her to the magical and dangerous lands of the South. The same direction that the last questling never to return traveled towards.

On her journey, Leila meets a boy named Sam whose memory has been erased by black magic. Leila offers to help Sam retain his memory in exchange for his guidance through the South. Follow the two on their exciting
Larissa
I wasn't expecting to like this book so much. How much is that? I enjoyed this book more than the Hunger Games, A Song of Fire and Ice Series, and Divergent, all of which I have read recently. The characters were likable and relatable, the story was fast paced and creative, and the writing was excellent! Evelyn Ink's writing never took me out of the story, it drew me in and pulled me forward. I rarely give 5 stars, (five are reserved only for well worn classics that I always have to have on my b ...more
Sonya Dodd
The main character of this story is Leila and as soon as the tale begins you are drawn into her fantasy world as she sets off on a quest filled with adventure, excitement and danger.
The description is detailed and characters are well-written. There is never a dull moment in this voyage.
When Leila teams up with Sam they forge a partnership which is as satisfying as Peter and Wendy in Peter Pan. This pair will grip your attention and keep you on the edge of your seat until the final page has been
Ginger Gelsheimer
Ill-fated is a fantasy packed with adventure. Aeroskiffs, mysterious mountains, old legends and beastly creatures will definitely keep you turning the pages and on your toes. The dialogue is catchy and fun and Evelyn Ink did a wonderful job creating her world with colorful language. The back and forth point of views of Leila and Sam at the beginning kept the story moving with a super fast pace.

I highly recommend Ill-fated for the fantasy adventure lover and with a little more editing, it would h
Heidi
This book was a lot of fun! The narrator's sense of humor was evident from the get-go, and I loved the words the author invented to help create a special world for the characters. Leila, the main character, is a good alternative to the insipid heroines of books like "Twilight." I appreciate how she is such a physical character, capable of defending herself. The entire book was full of rollicking adventure and I look forward to a sequel!
Nicolas Wilson
The beginning was a little uneven, and it could use a slightly tighter proofreading, but it was a well told story, overall. The characters world and banter are well set up, although the quick pace at which we're hustled through their introduction to their quest sort of threw me and made it difficult to engage with them at first. It's not exactly my type of story, but I enjoyed it anyways.
Brittany Graff
I cannot properly describe how much I love this book! I took me almost a year to get around to reading it and now I wish I started sooner. The plot is so well created and not overly confusing. The characters take such a life of their own it's as if they are real people. It's adventure and fantasy and a dash of romance but not so much it's overbearing. I love this book and highly recommend it.
Karen
Interesting premise. I enjoyed the characters and the plot seemed to be moving right along, but apparently I didn't know what the conflict was supposed to be because it seemed to me the book finished rather abruptly with, what I thought was the main conflict, resolved while the main character was asleep.
Goodreads Librari...: Please help Old cover/edition - need it changed 10 31 Dec 17, 2013 09:48AM
  • Deadly Wrong (Preternatural Affairs, #5)
  • The Locket Thief
  • Conditioned Response (Phoenician #2)
  • Nica of Los Angeles (Frames, #1)
  • Alien Within (Sandi Nuolla Book 1)
  • The Sixth Discipline (Haven #1)
  • Love and Cola Wars
  • At First Touch
  • Girl Three
  • Darkside (Children of Bhast Book 1)
  • Hungry Ghost (Tales of the Pack, #2)
  • The Exemeus (The Exemeus, #1)
  • The Kaiser Affair (The Drifting Isle Chronicles #1)
  • Water Witch (Elemental Magic, #1) (Witches of Etlantium, #1)
  • Division of the Marked (The Marked Series Book 1)
  • Red Leaves and the Living Token
  • Einstein Must Die! (Fate Of Nations, #1)
  • The Forever Engine
Evelyn Ink was formally trained to be a parachutist, but found it did not fit her longstanding desire to avoid heights and thus decided to study the much less vertically horrifying subject of English Literature.

Due to the web of conspiracy which surrounds Evelyn Ink, she rarely appears in public, but when she does it’s best to avoid her on account of her enduring history of social disrepute. Ther
More about Evelyn Ink...
Silver Tongue Sticks, Stones, and Dragon Bones Sticks, Stones, and Dragon Bones III (Dragon Bone, #3) Sticks Stones and Dragon Bones II