Start by marking “Ambient Findability: What We Find Changes Who We Become” as Want to Read:
Ambient Findability: What We Find Changes Who We Become

Ambient Findability: What We Find Changes Who We Become

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  835 ratings  ·  72 reviews
How do you find your way in an age of information overload? How can you filter streams of complex information to pull out only what you want? Why does it matter how information is structured when Google seems to magically bring up the right answer to your questions? What does it mean to be "findable" in this day and age? This eye-opening new book examines the convergence o ...more
Published October 3rd 2005 by O'Reilly Media (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Ambient Findability, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ambient Findability

Free by Chris AndersonMultilingual Digital Marketing by Maria JohnsenWeb Analytics 2.0 by Avinash KaushikStreetwise Relationship Marketing On The Internet by Roger C. ParkerAd Serving Technology by Greg Cristal
Digital Advertising Technology Books
8th out of 22 books — 4 voters
Intranät som skapar värde – Inspiration, råd & tips för dig s... by Kristian NorlingIntranätverk 2014 by Kristian NorlingDigital success or digital disaster? by Mark MorrellWhat Every Intranet Team Should Know by James  RobertsonDesigning Intranets by James  Robertson
Best Intranet Books
15th out of 18 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

Author spends a lot of time talking about the history of wayfinding and uses a lot of mostly irrelevant glossy photos to illustrate along the way. Perhaps the glossy pictures are there to make the presentation more "interesting," but most do not add anything to the text.

I took away two key points from this book - one from chapter 6 and one from chapter 7 - the last two chapters in the book...

The first key point is that tagging information helps us locate it - but we need both the professional ta
Sarah Sammis
Ambient Findability by Peter Morville is often used as a textbook in the reference course I took. The professor I took it from didn't include the book but the title and the fact that it was published by O'Reilly Media piqued my interest enough to want to read it as the class was starting up.

Although the description mentions information overload, the book isn't really about that. It's about how information and people hook up. There is the information that one seeks and that which falls into one's
Ambient Findability is an interesting and thought provoking read, the book dedicates itself towards the questions of how we can design into: a fast emerging world where we can find anyone or anything from anywhere at anytime.

I use the phrase "design into" intentionally. The world for which Ambient Findability primarily concerns itself with has not yes been created, but to ensure the world exists we must begin designing into our products and services the constructs for such a solution.

really enjoyed what i got through before having this due back at the library. while i was pretty skeptical about picking up a tech book nearly a decade old, ambient findability is a creative nonfiction about information, wayfinding, mapping, storage & retrieval (and probably lots more i didn't get to). was delighted to find out the author is also a librarian.
This is a really interesting book that I really wanted to like more than I did. It's got a lot of great ideas, but it often dissolves into word-collage raves about the glowing future that technology will bring us... from the lens of 2005. Maybe it can't help being dated, but then there's the part where the author gushes about the possibility of his Treo (PDA/Smartphone) merging someday with his GPS unit so he could have ONE device that does BOTH THINGS.

Overall, the book is both thought-collectin
Alper Çugun
This book reads as an overview of most popsci/popphil books from the past twenty years and in many ways it is exactly that. There is some stuff about findability and some vision about the future it heralds, but it looks like Morville bites off more than he can chew.

I don't really know who this book is written for. The engaged professional will not read anything new and it is too wildly disparate and biased (but not nearly opinionated enough) to serve as an introductory text.

* Mentioned as read over break for 590RO. My succinct review, “tripe.”

* A story about how this book itself is not so ambiently findable, which I still find extremely humorous.
Sep 13, 2007 Mark added it
Shelves: media
Morville, though a guru in Information Architecture is not a very good or compelling writer. Most of his ideas were summaries of other "Big Idea" book ideas. Most interesting for his discussions on wayfinding and folksonomies - though, again, there are better books available on these subjects, many of which Morville quotes.
Oct 01, 2007 Alison marked it as unfinished
Shelves: nonfiction
This is the second time I have tried to read this and sort of lost interest before getting halfway through. (Should I be admitting that as a techie librarian? Probably not.) If I try this again, I will have to be sure to start at the halfway point.

As a side note, Morville is a fantastic speaker. I saw him last year.
i once made a joke to my friend that this book was about finding tangerine dream records when browsing through a record store. if that was the case, i'm not sure if that would increase or decrease the amount of stars. i guess it depends on which era
Read this for grad school. Actually, much better than I expected. It was written long enough ago that all the discussions about social networking don't yet mention Facebook. Makes me realize how fast things advance in the technology world.
Lindsay Brrell
This book has been a classic in the field of UX and, in general, this author has done so, so much to advance the field, I can't even. He's a winner. However, the book is pretty dated now. That's not the fault of the author; it's just that the field is changing so fast, and change is accelerating. If you are new to UX, this book is good background, presenting important concepts. If you're already really experienced, I might go for something more recent. If so, I suggest you stick with O'Reilly: y ...more

So I'm coming back to UX as a topic, post-degree, for personal reasons. (Frankly I enjoyed this more than any other study area!)

This is a recommended text from my main study text, and on completion it's easy to see why - Morville has an easy to understand writing style, full of analogies to make his subject clearer, rather than threatening you with complexity.

There are some signs that this book is becoming a little dated, at least in the edition I've read, with regular references to the Treo a
Oleg Kagan
As a person who only last year finished a degree in Information Science, I must admit that a lot of Ambient Findability was review. That is not to say that it wasn't presented in a sensical way with the author's intellect and enthusiasm clearly visible.

When I picked up Ambient Findability I expected that it would be a SEO how-to, it was not. Instead the book took us through the hits of "findability" from wayfinding in ancient times to the present-day web and mobile devices (circa 2005, that is).
Stephen Redwood
Fascinating pot pourri of thoughts, facts and sources all focused on the topic of 'Ambient Findability', that is, the ubiquity of information that digital media now makes accessible to us all. Of course, the information may be out there and accessible, but human irrationality and bias makes us all too flawed in the way we select and interpret what we find and use. Peter Morville (author) has sourced some great quotes, including this one on the subject of bias from Herbert Simon: 'A man does not ...more
Oct 10, 2007 Rachel rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: librarians, digital librarians, information professionals
Shelves: technology
This book is kind of a "state of the field" summary for information search and discovery, a hot topic these days. It covers the concepts of search and discovery, and findability, as well as the technologies that are currently developing and show promise (though it was published in 2005, so it's a bit out of date already). There is some discussion of how to make things findable, the relevance to libraries and information-based institutions, and what knowledge might look like in another few years. ...more
The topic of the book was really interesting, and the first couple chapters were gripping. Unfortunately, the familiar tone and tangents eventually lost my interest and I skimmed much of the middle and end. After reflection, (how could something so interesting eventually become so hard to finish?) I realized the tone was like a Ted-Talk, and the more I thought about it, I realized it would be really interesting to listen to this author tell me everything in the book as a Ted-Talk, but reading th ...more
Feb 22, 2015 Kathleen added it
Shelves: class, 202
This one is tough to rate. It is a fun and interesting read, but it feels like it's mostly full of trivia. I learned a lot of cool "Did you know?!" type of things, but not so much that felt really academic. I had loved this book at the start, but (as other reviews I've read mentioned) it feels like the whole book is an introduction.

If you're interested in a light read about how people use information, give this a shot.
A coworker loaned this book to me, but I don't think enough time has elapsed since graduation (almost ten years ago!) for me to be able to enjoy an academic book. I wanted it to be practical and applicable, or I wanted to read about research presented in layman's terms. Instead, this felt very conceptual and theoretical and historical.

The last three chapters were ok, but I still don't feel like I learned much. For most of the book I felt like I'd walked into the room in the middle of a conversat
Mark Denney
The technology discussed is outdated, but the concepts are not. This is what is happening now. We are connected and we can find anything whenever because of our devices and the internet.
I enjoyed this quick tour of information and how we find and use it. I appreciated the balanced view Morville presents. On the one hand, there is optimism, because so much information is so accessible to so many people. On the other hand, there is a thoughtful acknowledgment of the "dark side:" information overload, possible threats to privacy, and our proneness to the fast food mentality in how we consume information.

I read this for a class, so I might have more to say after I get the chance to
I came for my grad school class, I stayed because it's just plain interesting stuff. How we access information, how often, and in what form says a lot about who we are, who we want to be, and to some extent it says something about how happy and fulfilled we are in our everyday lives, from moment to moment. We need good information to make good decisions, but who is the source? Do we trust information from The Man of mainstream media, or do we trust our favorite blogger who simply tells us what w ...more
Having finished the book, I still can't tell you what its thesis is. It could be: Findability is important! Or: Hey, here's some books I've read! There's no cohesion, lots of gee-whiz techno-optimism and marketing speak, and a disappointing lack of detail from someone who's a thought leader in information architecture.

My recommendation is to borrow this book and flip through the footnotes. He cites a lot of interesting work, and you can create yourself a list of books and articles that will be
I am re-reading this book yet again because I find that the concepts consistently show up time and time again in my professional day job. I think that anyone, information scientist or librarian or not, should read this book at least once. I often have to relay complicated information concepts and processes to my users on a daily basis and I find that Peter Morville is able to explain things in way that users can relate to easily--it helps me to get creative in my educational materials for my own ...more
I read this as part of my foundation course on Information Retrieval Systems for my MLIS program and I was surprised at how much I liked it. Morville's tone is informative but still conversational which helps make the information go down a lot more smoothly. I think it was a great introduction to the concepts we dealt with in class but the tech is kind of outdated ten years on.
Nicole Wilkins
I wanted to like this book more than I did. It had a some interesting, practical examples in it but beyond that, I ended up not feeling like I got a whole lot out of it.

Also, one of the early chapters talked about how neat RFID chips are. Those things creep me out so I think the author and I just have different ideas about some things.
Gary Lang
This book is six years old, and is somewhat dated now - we all have the SmartPhones and the effects he "predicted" we would soon have from them - a mere 18 months after this book was published. Still, the articles and books he cites look interesting, and his focus on large data sets and metadata to make use of them is still timely.
Beth Harper
The only reason I didn't give this book five stars is because it's eight years old, and it shows. (It still holds up astonishingly well, though.) Outstanding, fascinating, transformative. Morville has a brand new book out (Intertwingled: Information Changes Everything), and I can't wait to get my hands on it.
Like this book? Join O'Reilly Media's fan group 1 2 Oct 20, 2009 10:57AM
  • The Elements of User Experience: User-Centered Design for the Web
  • The Social Life of Information
  • Intellectual Foundation of Information Organization
  • Designing Interactions [With CDROM]
Peter Morville is a pioneer of the fields of information architecture and user experience. He advises such clients as AT&T, Cisco, Harvard, IBM, Macy's, the Library of Congress, and the National Cancer Institute. He has delivered conference keynotes in North America, South America, Europe, Asia, and Australia. His work has been covered by Business Week, The Economist, NPR, and The Wall Street ...more
More about Peter Morville...
Information Architecture for the World Wide Web: Designing Large-Scale Web Sites Search Patterns: Design for Discovery Intertwingled: Information Changes Everything Intertwingled: SAKUSOUSURUSEKAI JOUHOUGASUBETEWOKAERU Search Patterns

“The journey transforms the destination.” 5 likes
“Librarians are on the front lines of an invisible struggle over our information diet and, for better or worse, the scales are not tipping in their direction.” 0 likes