Up Above and Down Below

Up Above and Down Below

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  49 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Ants march on a picnic and turn it upside down,
returning with treats for friends underground.
Up above, the ants are taking over a picnic. But down below is another story. Look closely and you'll find very different worlds living side by side, at a picnic, in the ocean, in the blazing desert, even inside the same two-story home. Sue Redding's bold, wonderfully detailed illu...more
Published February 23rd 2006 by Chronicle Books

Mckinley
Enjoyed the detailed pictures and accompanying text.
Carla Pelayo
Sue Redding's colorful illustrations are wonderfully designed in this book of comparisons. Look above to find passengers enjoying a cruise while the crew labors below. This interactive book stimulates an exciting exploration of the world while capturing any child's imagination. Readers will become lost in the intricate details of the illustrations and Redding's playful rhymes that inspire children to imagine what different worlds exist right under their feet or even in their own home.
K Hanna
I introduced this book to my daughter a couple of weeks before her first birthday, and she has been in awe of it ever since. She loves the illustrations, and so do I. She doesn't tire of pointing to different objects, and it's her book of choice right now. If I put another book in front of her, she's ok with it for a few minutes, but then she'll point to this book!
Dylan & Belle at LearnPlayFun
Rated and reviewed by Dylan, age 7

I like the part with the rabbits underground because they're so silly. I liked how the gophers make a marble run for golf balls. I like the cover and back cover. I also like the ant part because they take everything and they play cards and go to the doctor.
Kelly Triplett
Great illustrations. This book would be best utilized as a small group story. There are small details/pictures that could not be seen from across a room. The story is nice but the illustrations are what make this book a great choice.
Laura Siegel
Kind of the "Upstairs Downstairs" of children's books. Shows reverence for life above and below ground. Great detailed illustrations of mouse, gopher and rabbit families to name a few of the below ground delights.
Rebecca Dean
This book has awesome illustrations. This book can show children how there are many things going on in the world besides what is happening to them. Something may even be happening right underneath their feet.
Cassie
Gitta
Beautiful, detailed pics that will make the children, even you, enjoy the pages.
Tara
Both kids loved looking at the pictures in this book
Helen
Mar 12, 2008 Helen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: children who like secrets
Recommended to Helen by: looky book
I love a book that reveals things often forgotten.
Lacey
Lacey added it
Jul 20, 2014
Heather Palenshus
Heather Palenshus marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Kate
Kate added it
Mar 26, 2014
Paula
Paula marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2014
Nisha
Nisha marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2014
Kim Riley
Kim Riley marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2014
Anne
Anne added it
Feb 26, 2014
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2014
Christina
Christina marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2013