Start by marking “The Seven-Petaled Shield (The Seven-Petaled Shield, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Seven-Petaled Shield (The Seven-Petaled Shield, #1)

The Seven-Petaled Shield (The Seven-Petaled Shield #1)

3.45  ·  Rating Details  ·  51 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
A Kirkus June 2013 top pick!

Elemental magic existed before mankind was born, and for good or ill, some of this magic seeped into the world, eventually coalescing into a monstrous entity of Fire and Ice, a threat to all humanity. Aided by his six brothers, a legendary king found the means to stand against this incarnation of chaos: the Seven-Petaled Shield. With it, they su
Published June 4th 2013 by DAW

To ask other readers questions about The Seven-Petaled Shield, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Seven-Petaled Shield

Sherwood Smith
Jul 06, 2013 Sherwood Smith added it
Shelves: fantasy
I don't know if anyone else is tired of the debate about whether "grimdark" is great or evil. Readers are going to read what they like to read, and of course they will invest it with all kinds of importance if they are passionate.

But for me, grimdark is yet another version of horror, which has been around a long time, and I'm just not interested. There is nothing new there for me, nor does it evoke any of the sensations or stimulate the insights I go to reading for.

So I am always on the lookout
Melani
Nov 26, 2013 Melani rated it it was ok
Angela
Mar 11, 2014 Angela rated it it was ok
Being the last book I borrowed from the library and planning a trip to get a new stack of books tomorrow I had high hopes for one last good story to end the night with. The cover art is cool and the back cover blurb made it sound great. Sadly the story didn't quite match my expectations. Its not bad and would be a pretty decent for beginners to the fantasy genre being spoiled by many other fantasy author's books however it wasn't good enough for me.
Myridian
Aug 07, 2015 Myridian rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, library
This book takes us to a world Ross originally created when she was writing as Deborah Wheeler for Marion Zimmer Bradley's Sword and Sorcery anthologies. I remember buying all of these until Bradley's death and now wish I had kept them to go back and read Wheeler's original stories.

This book follows Zevernon and Tsorrah, the prince and queen of the small country of Meklavar, as their country is invaded and eventually conquered by Gelon. We follow them as they struggle to escape and survive the Ge
Brad Steele
Mar 12, 2014 Brad Steele rated it it was amazing
This is the first book by this author that I have read. I greatly enjoyed her writing style - at times, she reminded me of Lian Hearn who wrote the Tales of the Otori series. Beautiful, poetic prose and the ability to capture the emotion and psychological eddies that swirl through the characters. This was a refreshing book that was devoid of much of the grim and gruesome imagery Joe Abercrombie and Geo. R.R. Martin pen. The spirituality of the characters also drew me in and their confrontation w ...more
Mike
Feb 16, 2015 Mike rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-books
I've not decided if I'll continue to read through this trilogy. And, I'm not disappointed by the ending as some people seem to, I don't mind that plot device, if anything the story might need it.

For me the story is 90% commentary and 10% story. I feel that a lot in the book was implied when not much at all has happened. When it seems that an adventure story will blossom, it turns more into a mythical soap opera. The story definitely steers away from any great story action; there are flashes of
Beth
Jun 27, 2015 Beth rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
This felt unoriginal - very; if you've read any high fantasy before, you've read this story - but at least it centered around a female character. (view spoiler)
Carolyn
Aug 23, 2014 Carolyn rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, magic, religion
I enjoyed the story line, but there was too much internal dialog, making this over descriptive.
Wendy Clark
Jan 14, 2014 Wendy Clark rated it it was ok
This book has great writing and a strong heroine with a super compelling start - the city is falling under an invading army. Very dramatic and tons of great scenes! However, I am the kind of person who, after I get hooked, I check the ending to see if it's going to be worth my time to get there. And this time, right about the time the protagonists have to make their big run for it, I checked the end. So not worth it for me! I know that there is a ton of stuff in the middle that was probably awes ...more
Marsha
Feb 01, 2016 Marsha rated it it was amazing
This is a fantasy kingdom, but explores how can an idividual respond to really difficult life situations, like being in a war. These days with ISIS, it's not just a theoretical question. I found reading it very compelling, so I wanted to read the next book right away.
K.V. Johansen
Jul 18, 2013 K.V. Johansen rated it it was amazing
First impression:
I'm only halfway through this, but loving it. My kind of fantasy: a world that feels very real, interesting characters I can care about, lots of depth in both world and characters, heroes and villains alike, action, suspense, thoughtfulness .... I'll be waiting eagerly for the sequels.

And now that I've finished: yes indeed, a great read. Can't wait for book ii. Highly recommended.
Kristen Brown
Kristen Brown marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
Sierra
Sierra added it
Feb 04, 2016
Kristy Halseth
Kristy Halseth marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
David Blyth
David Blyth marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
SYLVIA RHODES
SYLVIA RHODES marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Marnie
Marnie marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
Niki Hawkes
Niki Hawkes marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2016
Chloe
Chloe marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2015
Beiza
Beiza added it
Dec 15, 2015
Wendy Havelick
Wendy Havelick rated it liked it
Dec 14, 2015
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2015
Whitney
Whitney marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2015
micaela Alers Arroyo
micaela Alers Arroyo marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2015
claudia cook
claudia cook marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2015
Cindy
Cindy rated it really liked it
Nov 28, 2015
Luke McIlroy
Luke McIlroy marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Heart of Briar (The Portals #1)
  • Allegiance (River of Souls, #3)
  • A Snake in the Grass (Jesse James Dawson, #4)
  • Requiem (Psalms of Isaak, #4)
  • Battle (The House War, #5)
  • The Given Sacrifice (Emberverse, #10)
  • Caramba
  • Dragon's Teeth
  • A Liaden Universe® Constellation: Volume Two
  • Wisp of a Thing
  • Sold for Endless Rue
  • Mist (Midgard, #1)
  • The Children of Kings (Darkover, #28)
  • The Diamond Deep (Ruby's Song, #2)
  • Bard's Oath (Dragonlord, #3)

The Seven-Petaled Shield (3 books)
  • Shannivar