Start by marking “Primary Justice” as Want to Read:
Primary Justice

Primary Justice (Ben Kincaid #1)

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  989 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
After just a few hours on the job, a new lawyer lands his first murder case

It’s Ben Kincaid’s first day as an associate at corporate giant Raven, Tucker & Tubb, and he’s ready to start the long climb up the ladder to partnership. But he’s barely cleared the first rung when a body trips him up.

Ben’s first task is to arrange an adoption for one of the firm’s biggest clie
Published October 2nd 2012 by MysteriousPress.com/Open Road (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Primary Justice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Primary Justice

Jool
Mar 12, 2015 Jool rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: deleted
This was not necessarily a bad book; it is a legal thriller with a decent plot. The writing was a bit too sophomoric for my taste, and I found I was not picking up the book to read that often. When this happens, I delete the book and move on. With virtually hundreds of books available via Kindle Unlimited, I do not spend time on a book unless it has really gripped me with interest.
Rosemary Dreyer
Oct 26, 2015 Rosemary Dreyer rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
1.5 Stars: There was so much about this book that was irritating: the stereotyped characters; the unrealistic leaps in action; the 11th hour explanation of the mystery; and overall bad writing. It had gotten fairly good reviews, but I simply cannot fathom why. Don't waste your time with this book.
Ben Kincaid has just graduated from law school and landed a job at a prestigious law firm in Tulsa. He went into law because he wants to help people. His boss at the firm is a real jerk and gives him a fluff starter case. Ben is supposed to help an employee of their biggest client in an adoption case. The man and his wife want to adopt a girl who has major memory problems. Issues arise in the case from the start because the girl's real name and parents are not known and there are no clues. When ...more
Ashlea
May 05, 2015 Ashlea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

A solid and interesting start to the series, although I could definitely tell it was the first novel. Characters and writing were on-point, though, so I'm excited to read the others in the series!
Kathleen
Aug 24, 2014 Kathleen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
keep trying new authors that Good read recommends -so far a bomb. Does it even notice my ratings?? before it recommends things for me or does it just see that I read it and think I like it???
Mark
I read a Ben Kincaid a couple of years ago & finally got around to read the intro novel of the series...I like them both...In this one Kincaid is involved in a custody battle of a young girl with unique memory problems as a new associate in a "white shoe" Tulsa firm...plenty of twists & turns with some very appealing characters...fun to OK read!
Kate Woods Walker
This, the first of the Ben Kinkead series of mystery/thriller novels, was a book club choice for me. As an Oklahoman, I enjoyed the representations of North Tulsa, Nichols Hills and even a corporation that slightly resembled the awesomely great Git-n-Go franchise chain. As a reader, I found myself impatient with the the cast of characters who were a bit too gimmicky for my taste.

The denouement was too abrupt, with a couple of loose ends tied up most improbably (Holographic will? Seriously?) but
Sharon L Huebsch
Feb 28, 2015 Sharon L Huebsch rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story

Story lines very good Character development clean Have read later books glad I was able to go to the beginning
Kathleen
Mar 10, 2016 Kathleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: court-drama
It was good to go back and read the first book in this good series. Ben Kincaid is a character I enjoy spending time with.
Otto Penzler
Sep 25, 2012 Otto Penzler rated it really liked it
William Bernhardt, is the best-selling author of legal thrillers and suspense novels whose Ben Kincaid series has 17 titles and counting. In Primary Justice, recent law school graduate Ben Kincaid signs on at a large firm in Tulsa, Oklahoma. He soon teams up with the spunky Christina McCall, and the partners are assigned to an adoption case with a dark side: murder, mysterious phone calls, inconsistent financial stories. With a cast of colorful characters, witty humor, and life-like legal cases, ...more
Sonny Levine
BEN, AN ATTORNEY HAS JUST BEGUN AT A LARGE LAW FIRM. HE IS WORKING ON A CASE HELPING A WOMAN ADOPT A GIRL. THE HUSBAND HAS JUST BEEN KILLED. BOOK IS SOMEWHAT INTERESTING.
Senthil Dhayalan
Jun 13, 2015 Senthil Dhayalan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
:-)
Apr 10, 2014 Lioth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, thriller
Almost 4 stars.
Henry Lawrence
Dec 12, 2013 Henry Lawrence rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A cast of quircky characters help this book as an interesting read. Ben is a new law school grad going to work for a large firm. His supervisor is a bastard and tries to run him out of the firm.
His first assignment is to handle the adoption for one of the executives of the firm's biggest client. Nothing goes well and it becomes a murder case. Ben prevails in the end but he gets fired anyway. His legal assistant, Christina, quits in protest and she continues with him to the next book.
Rick Mason
Jun 21, 2011 Rick Mason rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first of the Benjamin Kincaid series. This is about a lawyer Ben Kincaid who leaves the DA's office to work at a large prestigious law firm only to discover that his idealism over justice takes a backseat to the corrupt corporate world where justice means who has the most money.

This book got me hooked, and the cast of characters keep you coming back for more. If you like courtroom/procedural thrillers, then this is for you.
Lynne Page
It's been awhile since I had read a Ben Kincaid novel, so I decided to start from the beginning. And since I own all the original books, I simply picked one up from my bookcase. Just like the first time I read one of these novels, I thoroughly enjoyed this mystery. It was full of surprises as well as giving you a sense of what the legal world is all about. I look forward to rereading the entire series.
Joyce McKune
Ben's first day at the new firm, he was given the case of making an adoption happen for a 60's year old childless couple. Clients employer was paying the fee. His first case in front of a judge and he lost the case, but even when his adviser told him to give it up and move on, Ben now not only wanted the widow to get the child back, but find her husbands killer.
Rick Ludwig
Although WIlliam Bernhardt suggested that I start later in the series when I met him at the Hawaii Writers Conference in 1999, I am very glad that I took the time to find this first Ben Kincaid. A very enjoyable read with characters that I want to learn more about. I look forward to reading the entire series in order, if possible.
Joy Durham
Jun 08, 2008 Joy Durham rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like Ben Kincaid, Christina, and the other characters in this series. Bernhardt pulls the end of these mysteries out of the air in a dramatic Perry Mason kind of way, but I like the journey with these characters.
Glenna
Jan 28, 2016 Glenna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller-legal
Well, I finished it after all. But I wasn't impressed. It all seemed improbable, too contrived and unrealistic. I thought I had found a new set of legal thrillers to enjoy, but no.
Linda
Mar 24, 2013 Linda rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Didn't finish the book. This book was to unrealistic. The cops call an attorney to identify a body because his business card is found on the man. Really?
Carol Ann
Mar 27, 2008 Carol Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did not learn anything from this book, but I really enjoyed it. I liked the lead character. Finally a hero who is not filled with self-doubt and is decent.
Urbanbookbabe
2.5 stars. Looking forward to reading the next book in the series and experiencing the growth.
Dee
Jan 05, 2012 Dee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first in a series about a young lawyer, Ben Kincaid, starting out in Tulsa, OK.
Lee
Aug 10, 2011 Lee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good first book. Good character development for future books in the series.
Stephanie
Mr. Bernhardt's first novel with Ben Kincaid and he tells an amazing story.
Penny
Sep 27, 2011 Penny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really lovable characters. They make you want to know them better.
Nancy
May 06, 2013 Nancy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay read. Going to try more by him to see if others are better!
Darla
May 21, 2010 Darla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first novel, what a tale..twisted and good til the end!
  • Bury the Lead (Andy Carpenter #3)
  • The Legacy
  • No Lesser Plea (Butch Karp, #1)
  • Dead Midnight
  • The Second Chair (Dismas Hardy #10)
  • The Burning Man
  • Falcon Seven
  • Motion to Suppress (Nina Reilly, #1)
  • Proof of Intent (Charley Sloan, #5)
  • King of the Dead (Lens of the World, #2)
  • The Alpine Vengeance (Emma Lord Mystery, #22)
  • Compelling Evidence (Paul Madriani, #1)
  • Shadows of a Down East Summer (Antique Print, #5)
  • Murder by Yew (Edna Davies, #1)
I love my job!

William loves his job and it shows in his writing. Library Journal has called him the "master of the courtroom drama;" his books have sold more than ten million copies worldwide. The Vancouver Sun dubbed him "the American equivalent of P.G. Wodehouse and John Mortimer." His novel Dark Eye was a psychological thriller that, in the words of bestselling author Lisa Scottoline, "will chi
More about William Bernhardt...

Ben Kincaid (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Blind Justice (Ben Kencaid, #2)
  • Deadly Justice (Ben Kencaid, #3)
  • Perfect Justice (Ben Kencaid, #4)
  • Cruel Justice (Ben Kincaid, #5)
  • Naked Justice (Ben Kincaid, #6)
  • Extreme Justice (Ben Kincaid, #7)
  • Dark Justice (Ben Kincaid, #8)
  • Silent Justice (Ben Kincaid, #9)
  • Murder One (Ben Kincaid, #10)
  • Criminal Intent (Ben Kincaid, #11)

“Archer Avenue,” Christina suggested. Ben snapped his lingers. “Or p-a could be part of the Red Parrot Café. That’s the bar across the street” 0 likes