Start by marking “Getting Rid Of Bradley” as Want to Read:
Getting Rid Of Bradley

Getting Rid Of Bradley

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  9,943 ratings  ·  521 reviews
High school physics teacher Lucy Savage is finally getting rid of Bradley--and his hideous green recliner. In fact, her front lawn is littered with her cheating ex-husband's belongings. Because despite standing her up in divorce court, Bradley is out of her life for good. Or so she thinks.

When her sister takes her to lunch to celebrate Lucy's single status, all their talk

Published February 1st 1994 by Harlequin (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Getting Rid Of Bradley, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Getting Rid Of Bradley

Julie (jjmachshev)
When I woke up this morning, I was in the mood for something fun...and funny. So I picked up "Getting Rid of Bradley" by Jennifer Crusie. Originally published as a Harlequin Blaze in 1994, this story is one of her earlier ones. But is one of her funniest in my opinion.

Poor Lucy isn't having a good year. Her ex couldn't even be bothered to show up for the divorce, she beats up a mugger only to find out he's a cop, her efforts to change her life via hair dye have resulted in a strange, moss-green
Nicola Marsh
I have most Crusie books firmly on my keeper shelf, but it has been far too long since I've read them.

This is an oldie re-released and I loved it. Stayed up till 1am because I couldn't put it down.

Absolutely adore her unique voice, which makes any plot believable and fun.

Recommend!
Ⓐlleskelle - teamSøren♗ ⊲I like big b00ks⊳
⭐️⭐️⭐️ 3.5 stars ⭐️⭐️⭐️

On my way to conquer all Jennifer Crusie's books!
I've been recommended the great Bet Me the other day and I am slowly making my way up through Ms Crusie's books.

I really liked this one, I enjoyed the banter, the secondary characters, the comic situations...

The heroine, Lucy is a complete freak, a nut, a nerd, she acted pretty stupid at some times but maybe I overlooked it because of her relationship with her stubborn and sexy as hell cop, Zach.

I loved the whole hair obse
Jacob Proffitt
This was a 3.5 stars generously rounded for... reasons...

An early Crusie (an author note at the beginning says it's her second), her skill is already in good form. Zack was a bit standard romantic hero material with a bit of mid-life crisis thrown in to keep him interesting—a little bossy for my taste and with a few quirks I had a hard time getting over. The book is made with Lucy. She's just a fun character with her refusal to give in to the demands of others that skirted the edge of TSTL witho
Tintin
Reading this was pure joy. And to think I was almost ready to throw in the towel over romance. I'm glad I gave the genre another chance.

Lucy Savage finds her life threatened when her ex-husband Bradley is involved in an embezzlement case. Luckily for her, the rough but competent cop Zack Warren steps up the plate to protect her. As expected from a romance novel, the physical attraction is instantaneous, but what's remarkable about it is that the characters willfully fight against it and keep the
Jane Stewart
Not bad, but not as good as the author's other books.

Something was repetitive and a little boring about the conversations during the first third of the book. This was one of the author's first books and it wasn't as good as her later books. I was annoyed that Lucy kept saying she didn't believe she was being shot at and that she was in danger, even though a bullet hit her cheek, and a bomb went off in her car. She went out for a jog and to a beauty parlor when she should have stayed home where s
Another fun book by Jennifer Crusie!

In this book we have Lucy - a gal who is trying to turn her life around but somehow everything just explodes on her. She goes to court to divorce her hubby (That would be Bradley) and he doesn't even bother to show. She decides she needs to color her hair to make herself feel better and it turns out green. Oh - and someone is trying to kill her. Yeah. Not a great week for out poor Lucy. Lucky for her Zack the yummy cop is there to protect her!
Lavender Brooke
I have read most of Jennifer Cruisie's books but this is definitely my favourites. I adore the relationship between Lucy and Zack - they made such a sweet and funny couple.

This is the sort of book that you can curl up with and easily finish in an afternoon. Pick a drizzly day, make a cup of coffee (or tea - do feel free to improvise), snuggle up on the sofa and lose yourself in the lovely world of Getting Rid Of Bradley.
❂ Jennifer (reviews on BookLikes)
For the book form of a sitcom you just can't go wrong with Jennifer Crusie. This book is a lot of fun, full of witty dialogue, madcap action and a bit of romance and sex. Ms. Crusie writes wildly entertaining stories that are always good for making me smile.

Full review: http://jenn.booklikes.com/post/105113...
Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim)
Really enjoyed this. It's light. It's fluff. And it is funny as could be. The book doesn't take itself too seriously and is good for a bunch of laughs to boot. Not as steamy as I normally like but it makes up for it in many other ways.
Julie
I love reading these older books by Jennifer Crusie because I can read them in a day. Of course that means I don't accomplish anything else on my days off, but I enjoy the time I spend with her stories.

This one is about a teacher, Lucy, and a cop, Zack, who fall in love. The plot is convoluted and was so ridiculous it reminded me of an episode of the Hawaii Five-0 remake (which I like a lot, but that show is ridiculous most of the time). It involves Lucy's ex-husband and embezzlement and jealous
Shelly
Cherie
I've read a few Jennifer Crusie books and consider myself a fan, however this book I found disappointing. My caveat is, it's my understanding that this is one of her earlier books, one written before she had perfected her craft to the level it is now. That being said, this book was so disappointing I almost put it down.

The problem? Well while it did have some humurous moments, Lucy was so stupid she was almost unendurable. She seemed to have no logic, Crusie, tried to put the reader inside of L
Saly
You know one thing I've noticed that the books by this author are really unconventional yet funny and romantic and this one was no less, we have a cop hero who is kind of down and thinks he is getting older and getting married is death, then he meets the just divorced heroine who actually clobbers him thinking he is a mugger.

The heroine is a teacher who got married because she felt it was time and when she saw her husband with another woman, threw him out in part due to her sister and now has dy
Lightreads
School teacher divorces her husband, and promptly gets shot at and dragged into his embezzlement case, except she also lands herself a cop for protection.

Not feeling it. The whole thing felt rushed and phoned in, but more to the point, this is one of those romances where all two people have to do is meet. Everything else just happens. I realize this is, like 80% of the romance genre, but I was just not in the mood for a story about how all you need to do to achieve lifelong romantic happiness is
Siria
This is one of Crusie's earlier novels, and it shows in both her plotting, and in early versions of characters and ideas that she'd go on to rework in her later novels. It's probably one of her best early novels, though, and a good, frothy read for a slow night at work. The heroine and hero have a great meet-cute, Crusie is very good at using repetition for comedic effect, and I think she does a better job of balancing the cute romance and the mystery side of things than in Crazy for You.
Katie
Probably 4.5ish, but JUST SO MUCH FUN. It had me laughing out in places (THE DOG JOKE!!!).

The relationship was super-fast, but in a believable way. (Well. In a believable way within the world.)

I found the beginning a little rough, but, overall, just really enjoyable.
Mireille
This was just a ton of fun. All the characters were amazing, even the supporting ones. It was funny, it kept me on the edge of my seat, the sex was hot and meaningful, the romance was awesome, really, such a good read.
Bark's Book Nonsense
After catching her perfect husband with a blonde, school teacher Lucy gets a quickie divorce and just wants to put the whole mess behind her. She intends to become a fully independent woman whose biggest responsibility will be keeping her menagerie of mutts happy. She doesn't want or need another man in her life but when she spots dangerously handsome Zack in a café she figures a fling might not be a bad idea. But when he accosts her in the parking lot all of her sexy thoughts fly out the window ...more
Getting Rid Of Bradley is a standalone novel from author Jennifer Crusie. I've read some great chick-lit books that have successfully lifted my mood and made me laugh out loud in public. That's why chick-lit (with plenty of romance and humor) is a favorite genre of mine. It's not remotely realistic so the reader still gets that "escape into a book" experience but the humor just does wonders for the soul. Getting Rid Of Bradley won't likely ever make my list of top ten chick-lits but it did the j ...more
Juliana
Getting Rid of Bradley was a wonderful, light, breezy, and humorous book that I would definitely recommend. Reads very quickly and in a way it almost feels like a short story.

The two main characters, Lucy and Zach, are absolutely great and the type that you would have love to have as friends. Lucy is hysterical, I loved her dogs and self-reflections, and the whole blinking gag throughout the book was funny. Zach is extremely intense and energetic and is himself also hysterical; he's perfect for
Jenny
After the Booklust class on Saturday, hearing some of the girls talk about a certain author, and rememering how much I enjoyed the one book of hers that I had read... I went on a Jennifer Crusie binge. This was a first selection, chosen because it was looking lonely in a used book store.

Lucy is not having a good day. First, she gets stood up by her ex-husband in divorce court, then she beats up a cop with a physics textbook because she thinks he's trying to mug her, then finds out that her ex (
Maqluba
What a great story... Once you start reading this you get so caught up in the big ball of crazy you never want to leave. You've got a big sexy stubborn cop, a semi-quiet green-haired teacher, a well-meaning friend, a sexy strong sister, three of the cutest dogs, a crazy cat lady neighbor and guns and embezzlement galore!! It's a madhouse but its perfect:) it's nonstop fun.
If it were any other book I would have hated the hero and the heroine but this book was just too.... Good?.... The hero is s
Olga Godim
A nice romantic novel but nothing spectacular.
Lucy is a recent divorcee. Her ex-husband’s name is Bradley. She wants to get rid of his things in her house so much she pushes his favorite chair into the basement.
Zack is a police officer. He is chasing an elusive embezzler named Bradley. Are they the same Bradleys or two different ones? And why is someone trying to kill Lucy? Does she know anything about Zack’s Bradley? Does he know anything about Lucy’s Bradley? Does she want him to?
Questions a
Amy

I really enjoyed Maybe This Time by Jennifer Crusie. It had great pacing, character development, dialogue, and The Others like plot had me devouring the book in hours. The logical thing to do next was to get my hands on more JC books.

Getting Rid of Bradley was nothing like Maybe This Time. The characters in this book lacked the spark that those in MTT had. The dialogue in GRoB was uninspired, and other than the bitchy gold digging older sister, everyone had the same voice. The main cha
Brandi
Closer to 3.5! I didn't really feel the characters all that much in the beginning & I thought everything moved way too fast at first, but I actually really enjoyed the last third/ending of the book a lot. There were some little things that I didn't like in terms of style of the book, and I like more of an inner monologue sometime. I did really enjoy the end & finally felt like I started to like the characters a lot (but I wanted to like them earlier!)
Andree
Entertaining and fun. Not my favourite romance novel ever (I mean, it's one heck of a case of insta-love), but definitely fun.

Gotta love a heroine who takes sensible risks in these situations.

Gotta love the snark, and the overprotective older sister.

Plus the crazy neighbour with the crazy cat who comes through in a pinch.

(view spoiler)
steph
This book made me laugh and all the characters were so enchanting, I sat down and read it all in one sitting because I didn't want to stop. (view spoiler)
Pamela Pickering
Served the purpose! I once again needed some brain candy. I am liking this Jennifer Crusie--she supplies a quick read and often gives some good laughs with her stories. I also like that her lead characters are not these stunningly beautiful women/men. Although they may be more normal looking and have what the media would consider flaws, they find each other beautiful in their own ways. It's especially nice for us readers who are not/nor have never been svelte. It's nice to see that real women an ...more
Julie
I always enjoy Jennifer Crusie. Her characters are lovable and flawed and super fun. I read this in a hammock while camping, it was the perfect hammock book!
Mansfield Public ...: Getting Rid of Bradley Review 1 4 Jun 29, 2013 08:06AM
  • Take a Chance on Me
  • Hot & Bothered (Marine, #3)
  • First Lady (Wynette, Texas #4)
  • Sex, Lies, and Online Dating (Writer Friends, #1)
  • Catch of the Day (Gideon's Cove, #1)
  • Flirting With Danger (Samantha Jellicoe, #1)
  • For the Love of Pete
  • Brazen
  • Hot Wheels and High Heels
19005
Jenny Crusie is the NYT bestselling author of twenty some novels and lots of other stuff. Her latest novel, Maybe This Time, hit shelves in August, 2010.

Jenny lives on the Ohio River where she often stares at the ceiling and counts her blessings.
More about Jennifer Crusie...
Bet Me Welcome to Temptation (Dempseys, #1) Anyone But You Agnes and the Hitman Faking It (Dempseys #2)

“You know who you remind me of? The kid cop in Lethal Weapon 3. You know, the one who says, 'it's my twenty-first birthday today', and right away you know he's dead meat?” 13 likes
“You’ve always been nuts. That’s fine. I can deal with nuts. But lately, you’ve been depressed nuts. I can’t deal with that.
- Anthony”