Start by marking “The Beginning (The Bridge, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
The Beginning (The Bridge, #0.5)

The Beginning (The Bridge 0.5)

4.28  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,454 Ratings  ·  95 Reviews
From #1 New York Times bestselling author Karen Kingsbury comes this e-short prequel to her upcoming novel, The Bridge, shedding light on the love story behind the bookstore and how it came to be a place of hope and encouragement.
Audio
Published September 18th 2012 by Simon & Schuster Audio

To ask other readers questions about The Beginning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Beginning

Melissa ( Melissa's Eclectic Bookshelf)
I absolutely love the premise behind this story. A bookstore named The Bridge, with owners that care more about the people that walk through the front door than the sales that walk out. A place where community members can find a safe haven, open up, get personalized book recommendations as well as friendship, and hopefully eventually find their way out of whatever darkness they were in to the hope and happiness on the other side of the bridge.

I was tempted to pick up The Bridge and then happily
Lori Henrich
Feb 07, 2013 Lori Henrich rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Charles and Donna move to Franklin to start a business that they can use to minister to hurting people in the community. They recently experienced the loss of a child, so they know how pain can seem very overwhelming. They decide to open a bookstore, making it as cozy and welcoming as they could.

Edna is a newlywed trying to cope with her husband off fighting a war in Vietnam. She wakes up one morning with a sense of doom and later that day hears a knock on the door and the doom becomes big and v
Noella
May 31, 2015 Noella rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The beginning is a short story of two women, Edna and Donna, who both have lost someone dear to them and struggles to recover from the loss. Donna and her husband set up a cozy bookshop the Bridge, to help provide a place for people to forget their troubles whilst being transported away by a good book. Edna is one of their customers and she finds that books are helping to heal her. The two become friends and share their stories.
Catherine
I started reading The Beginning today, not yet having read The Bridge, but I'll get around to that later. I must admit that I didn't even read the description about it before starting reading the book.

The Beginning is about several different people. It begins with Donna and Charlie who are about to have their baby. It happens late at night and they rush to the hospital. Soon, though, they have lost the child and they turn to a town called Franklin for the answer to their problems. They open a bo
Honeypie
Apr 28, 2014 Honeypie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
4.5 Stars

I always forget to remind myself that when I want to read a KK book, I should do it at night, when I'm about to sleep, in the comfort of my bed, where no one can bother me.

I'm not sure if this was published before or after The Bridge, but I'm anticipating that I will love The Bridge. And since I'm not a huge fan of prequels (really, it can be a little cramping. I don't like looking back at the past especially when I know what the outcome is. What's the point? Anyway, that's a different
Kelly Brown
Nov 28, 2015 Kelly Brown rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great prequel to The Bridge by Karen Kingsbury! This short story introduces you to Charlie and Karen the owners of the bookstore The Bridge. You get to know how they came together and what eventually lead them to opening the bookstore. You also learn about Edna and Tom. Edna becomes a war widow and finds The Bridge as a place of refuge. She becomes one of the first memorable customers that Donna holds dear to her. Edna also creates a scrap book for Charlie and Donna to put memories from The Br ...more
Cara Correll
Apr 02, 2014 Cara Correll rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent read which just touches the hearts. If you have a dry eye after reading this I would be shocked. This is heartwarming and reminds us of being human. This is an excellent read I can not wait to read The Bridge which this book leads up to. What a great way to bring light from the dark and expose it in ways of love, faith, trust, and honor. Karen Kingsbury is always good for that if you haven't read anything of hers before go grab any one of her books and I would bet you won't ...more
Feb 08, 2013 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
The Bridge was my first Karen Kingsbury book, and I loved it so much, I was so happy to find out that there was a prequel story, because I didn't get enough from the Bridge, I didn't want it to end. I really hope and pray she makes this a series, I could read about these characters forever, I loved them all, and what book lover dosent love a book about books!!

As far as this being a prequel story, You can definitely read this after reading The Bridge as well. It does dig a little deeper into the
Carol
Jan 11, 2013 Carol rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Christian Fiction, fans of Karen Kingsbury
Recommended to Carol by: Judy Rutledge Bailey, friend

Karen Kingsbury
The Beginning An eShort prequel to The Bridge by Karen Kingsbury

The Beginning, the prequel to The Bridge by Karen Kingsbury, is an excellent, moving Christian Fiction prequel to a book that I cannot wait to begin. The characters are so easy to relate to as they experience brokenness for various reasons, as we all do in life. I am looking forward to see the development of each character as they live through happy and sad times. I believe The Bridge will hold my interest from beginning to end. I am interested in discovering how the characters learn to accept
Tonya
Feb 03, 2013 Tonya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-reads
LOVED it! I read The Bridge first. Although I would recommend reading this one before, what is done is done. Karen Kingsbury blew my socks off! In fact, as much of a reader as I am, I haven't been able to find anyone to spark my interest since The Bridge, so I was soooo excited to get my hands on this little nugget.

We find out the beginning of The Bridge. Any book that talks about books, and has booklovers like me is a hit. But Kingsbury really gives us such a beautiful story, laced with God's l
Annette
Jun 14, 2013 Annette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In this short prequal, we are introduced to the main characters in a book called "The Bridge". Charlie and Donna Barton are a young couple who are expecting their first child.

Because of events in their lives, they decide to move to Franklin TN and open a bookstore called The Bridge.

The bookstore will allow them to meet many different people and offer books which will help people find a path in their life.

This is Christian literature at its best.

Karen Kingsbury is a very talented writer who prese
Laura Pratt
Jan 01, 2015 Laura Pratt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A tease before "The Bridge"

K.K.'s my absolute favourite Christian author. She can't write books fast enough for me. Please read this book and then "The Bridge" and you will love every minute you spend feeling God's love.
Melissa Henderson
A wonderful story that shows the reader the background of some of the characters in "The Bridge". Karen Kingsbury always brings her stories to life through great details, descriptions and emotions. Excellent story.
Cmking14
Nov 29, 2015 Cmking14 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Book Can Change Everything

The Beginning gives the reader a glimpse into two different families lives dealing with great loss. It is only through a bookstore and books that the healing begins for both.
Linda Wagner
The Prequel to The Bridge. Gives some background on Charlie and Donna Barton, including a more in depth look at the tragedy that started them on the path to opening the bookstore.
Stacey Head
Dec 14, 2015 Stacey Head rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great introduction

Looking forward to reading "The Bridge"! The movie grabbed my attention and I want to read the book now! Sometimes movies do that!
Elizabeth Badjie
Love these books

Loved this book along with The Bridge I finished both books in one day. I couldn't put them down I felt like I was in the book.
Edward Hoagland
Dec 12, 2015 Edward Hoagland rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Perfect Prequel

I enjoyed going to the beginning of these great characters. It sets the story line up just like a bridge. Thank you!
Jess (Gone with the Words)
I read this because I was interested in reading The Bridge, but I don't think it'll be up my alley afterall. Maybe I'll just wait to see it on TV.
MARY MAYO
Dec 03, 2015 MARY MAYO rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This

A heartfelt story of love and God goodness. I love these stories that show how God works in our lives and how blessed we are
Frans Karlsson
A short story of a couple who starts a bookstore after their daughter is killed during childbirth and helps a woman to heal after her husbands death
Alyssa Tabor
Dec 07, 2015 Alyssa Tabor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First Karen Kingsbury book finished and I see why so many people love her work! Excited to read more by her.
Jackie Atkins
Apr 18, 2014 Jackie Atkins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a good story of friendships, relationships and the purpose of a towns bookstore.
Leslie Monchak
Jan 01, 2016 Leslie Monchak rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked it. It explained how the couple started and how the bookstore began.
Beulah Meadows
Jan 19, 2014 Beulah Meadows rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful Just what I needed to begin my healing

Remin ed me that others do also hurt, regardless of the loss, God is a healing God. Looking forward to the future and sharing it with others.

Denise Moore
Jan 02, 2016 Denise Moore rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great prequel to Karen Kingsbury's "The Bridge".
Gerald
Aug 19, 2015 Gerald rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very heart-touching and life-changing story.Bad things do happen to good people. I can't wait to continue the sequel.
Sara Kreps
Very short; not worth it's own book.
Apr 30, 2016 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an amazing beginning for an amazing story!
Heather Brunet
Sep 03, 2014 Heather Brunet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great lead up to The Bridge
  • Blood Sisters
  • Christmas Roses
  • Here We Come (Aggie's Inheritance, #3)
  • Gentleman of Her Dreams (Ladies of Distinction, #0.5)
  • Secrets (The Michelli Family Series #1)
  • Lethal Remedy (Prescription for Trouble, #4)
  • Abducted (Pacific Coast Justice, #2)
  • Secrets of the Heart (The Ravensmoore Chronicles #1)
  • Tomorrow's Sun (Lost Sanctuary #1)
  • Surrendered Hearts
  • Beyond the Storm (Quilts of Love #1)
  • A Path Less Traveled (Miller's Creek #2)
  • Until Forever
  • Cooking the Books (Sloane Templeton Mysteries #1)
  • Reinventing Rachel
  • Honor Redeemed (First Responders #2)
  • Daughter of the Loom (Bells of Lowell, #1)
  • Providence: Once Upon a Second Chance
Karen Kingsbury, #1 New York Times bestselling novelist, is America’s favorite inspirational storyteller, with more than twenty-five million copies of her award-winning books in print. Her last dozen titles have topped bestseller lists and many of her novels are under development with Hallmark Films and as major motion pictures. In addition, it was recently announced that Roma Downey and MGM Studi ...more
More about Karen Kingsbury...

The Bridge (1 books)